Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
<rant>

the problem with Discovery is not that it throws continuity out the window, the problem is that Star Trek is dead and should be remembered, not hauled out of the grave. It's insulting to see a sooper srs!!!!!! grimdark show making :cry: faces and call itself Star Trek because that's just a GoT rip off that's wearing Star Trek's rotting flesh as a suit.

It would be nice if we got a Star Trek show that encouraged optimism and a bright future for humanity. Star Trek can have dark themes but the whole point of the show is that it's humanity at its best after putting aside the conflicts of the past and triumphing against our fallen nature.

But we're not gonna get that show because everyone has engorged themselves on :lost: and BSG and Game of Thrones and they want more stupid grimdark poo poo. So Star Trek is dead and it should stay that way.

</rant>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
it's fine with me because i'd rather watch The Bad Show Y'all Hate over a show that doesn't exist

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Star trek isn't dead, it exists in our hearts, it exists in these healthy forums.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HIJK posted:

<rant>

the problem with Discovery is not that it throws continuity out the window, the problem is that Star Trek is dead and should be remembered, not hauled out of the grave. It's insulting to see a sooper srs!!!!!! grimdark show making :cry: faces and call itself Star Trek because that's just a GoT rip off that's wearing Star Trek's rotting flesh as a suit.

It would be nice if we got a Star Trek show that encouraged optimism and a bright future for humanity. Star Trek can have dark themes but the whole point of the show is that it's humanity at its best after putting aside the conflicts of the past and triumphing against our fallen nature.

But we're not gonna get that show because everyone has engorged themselves on :lost: and BSG and Game of Thrones and they want more stupid grimdark poo poo. So Star Trek is dead and it should stay that way.

</rant>

What the gently caress?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Hahahahaha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

it's fine with me because i'd rather watch The Bad Show Y'all Hate over a show that doesn't exist

The best Trek is one that exists, and discovery exists, therefore

I agree. I also watch Orville because while some split between it and DISCO would be the best thing probably, that isn't real and Orville and DISCO are.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute posted:

The best Trek is one that exists, and discovery exists, therefore, wait where have I seen this argument before?

I agree, though. I also watch Orville because while some split between it and DISCO would be the best thing probably, that isn't real and Orville and DISCO are.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it was necessary to spoiler that since it's arguably true that the things that once made Star Trek fun and good are now found in various other projects, and that's ok to be tired of a decade of edgelord boohoo bullshit permeating everything

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it was necessary to spoiler that since it's arguably true that the things that once made Star Trek fun and good are now found in various other projects, and that's ok to be tired of a decade of edgelord boohoo bullshit permeating everything

I spoilered it so that people could scroll past it without having to skim my venting if they didn't want to see it, I was attempting to protect the eyes of readers!!!

Edgelord Boohoo Bullshit is now the name of my new rockband btw.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

Obviously this means we just did not imbibe the serious and deep moral lesson that everything sucks, forever, hur dur durr

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The spore drive is dumb, the giant tardigrade was dumb, L'Rell's plan was stupid, Lorca may or may not have a plan but either way, he did a whole lot of stupid poo poo.

But it's still pretty good. Two thumbs up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmTsWmnfWWM

I don't remember this.

Thankfully.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys should learn to make soup dumplings, they are seriously dope.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

The spore drive is dumb, the giant tardigrade was dumb, L'Rell's plan was stupid, Lorca may or may not have a plan but either way, he did a whole lot of stupid poo poo.

But it's still pretty good. Two thumbs up.

'Show is dumb but has Star Trek in the name. 5 of 5 stars.’

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

'Show is dumb but has Star Trek in the name. 5 of 5 stars.’

I will absolutely cop to "Show is dumb but has Star Trek in the name. 1 of 1 watch"

I'll still be critical and wish it was better. But I'll watch.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nessus posted:

Now I want to re-watch the Q episodes with this idea in mind. (And of course, the Sisko, for all his literary greatness, lacks this moral freight, so Q interrogates him once, gets popped in the mouth, and punches out.)

e: I also think Q is not looking for a Christ figure, which is another reason Sisko's got nothing for him. Picard as I recall is not portrayed as anything other than an exceptional, but not anomalous example of Federation society, vs. Sisko wormhole stuff. (Writing-wise that may not have been anywhere near decided yet at that time, of course.)

I think the difference between Sisko and Picard to Q has less to do with the relative strength of their moral anchors and more to do with how they react to Q's gamesmanship. Like you say, Q creates artificial rules and limits to create games for himself, and Picard's reaction is to accept the terms of the game because he wants to prove the value of humanity (and human morality) to Q. He's a missionary and evangelist who wants to teach the galaxy about the benefits of the Federation, and Q basically promises he'll listen if Picard plays on Q's terms.

Sisko has equally strong morals, but a vastly different approach. Sisko is a guardian, concerned with protecting his family, his station, and his nation but not with converting others to his side. If that happens, all the better, but if the universe leaves the Federation alone he's content. So when Q shows up and starts setting up his games, Sisko's response is to kick over the table. He'll engage with Q on his terms or not at all, because Sisko has nothing to prove to any alien no matter how powerful it is.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I will absolutely cop to "Show is dumb but has Star Trek in the name. 1 of 1 watch"

I'll still be critical and wish it was better. But I'll watch.

This was me, up through Enterprise. The name Star Trek is enough to get me in the door, but it's no longer enough to keep me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, Picard is an explorer and diplomat and interacting with beings like Q is part of his mission. Sisko has a very different mission and he doesn't have the time or interest in dealing with Q's bullshit, he already has different alien gods to deal with anyways.

Also Q forced Picard into playing his games, put him on trial and constantly threatened him to prove him self or be destroyed. Q wasn't on DS9 for Sisko, he was there to prove a point to Vash and Sisko was just a bystander for the most part.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

I think continuity should be sacrificed for the sake of a better story

As soon as that better story comes along I'll be onboard with this.

Parachute posted:

I too would rather eat poo poo than go hungry

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm from now on only interested in TOS reboots and prequels if they match the look of actual TOS exactly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I too would rather eat poo poo than go hungry

I'm not that hungry.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have a strong feeling Season 2 will be a lot different than what we got this year.

I hope so. The treadmill of plot events has left me a bit cold, but I really do want to like it. The second half of season one has been better so far, but still not hitting the mark for me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sisko is a good man.

Picard is a paragon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

I'm from now on only interested in TOS reboots and prequels if they match the look of actual TOS exactly.

Pastamania posted:

I can live without visual continuity with a 60s TV show, obviously they're not going to set a whole show on a bridge that looks the TOS enterprise. But I think it's a real missed opportunity as well. Plenty of shows are all dark rooms with high contrast screens, all dutch angles, zoomy wooshy cameras and everything Orange and Tealed within an inch of every shots life. STD is really bad for it, but the JJ films sorta set the precedent there, and for many people that's just what Star Trek looks like.

gently caress that, give me a 60s sci-fi magazine illustration come to life. Have everyone wearing clothes straight out of one of those old 'in the 1990s, the world will be like *this* films. Have insane vistas and a colour pallet ripped straight from a Beatles album cover. Have devices that are all stainless steel and leather finishes. Don't make it look like a show with 60s production values, make it look like the show those guys would have made if they had access to a render farm, a colour correction suite and a green screen studio in 1966. Instead of what we have, which is just a low budget version of the Expanse.

And level up the loving cameras while your at it, the dutch angles just make it look like a lovely film school video someone made in 1995 on VHS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I had the shuttlecraft disc holder!

(picture not mine, my holder vanished years ago :( )

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile over in STO-land Odo came back finally in the new mission today, at the head of a Dominion fleet playing the cavalry to save the day for DS9 and a joint Federation/Klingon/Romulan/Tzenkethi armada.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am a very big fan of how much Data low key loves his cat. Spot has a good robot dad.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo Worf at his surprise birthday party is amazing

“That was not a Klingon song!”

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
My problems with Discovery were less with Discovery itself and more with CBS....it's only on their streaming service, which doesn't have a lot of other original content, they gave it a midseason break so that subscribers would stay subscribed, and its serialized, so you pretty much have to watch the entire thing. If you watch one episode in the middle, you'll have no idea what's going on, because the episodes aren't self contained.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Picard Day. Season 7 is crushing it for episode openers

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Windows 98 posted:

I am a very big fan of how much Data low key loves his cat. Spot has a good robot dad.

Data doesn't think he can experience what it's like to be human but the way he treats the cat says it all

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McSpanky posted:

Have insane vistas and a colour pallet ripped straight from a Beatles album cover.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Meanwhile over in STO-land Odo came back finally in the new mission today, at the head of a Dominion fleet playing the cavalry to save the day for DS9 and a joint Federation/Klingon/Romulan/Tzenkethi armada.

Who were they fighting?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cythereal posted:

STO sounds like it's just full on :catdrugs: these days whwn it comes to plotting.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive been giving this a lot of thot and i think the VOY intro song is the best, and most evocative of the ideals of the federation.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im like so into star trek rn for some reason holy gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Smythe posted:

im like so into star trek rn for some reason holy gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Given the past history of SA staff being really into Trek, I'm going to back away slowly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Given the past history of SA staff being really into Trek, I'm going to back away slowly.

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think having flame wars in the discovery thread has awakened something, at least for now. a desire to post about star trek. i never watched a trek while it was airing and it is a sublime experience, to have flame wars, about star trek, online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The main problem with Discovery is that even though I stopped watching at the season break I have still managed to predict every big reveal so far since the episodes they introduced the mysteries. Why Lorca was a Bond villain, what was going to happen with the spore drive, what happened to Voq/what Ash's deal was and who the Emperor would be once that was brought up.

It is the writing. It is entirely predictable, stale and uninteresting, even when it brings up things that should be crazy cool. The actors are fine (some are even good), the effects are ok (though the lighting is bad) and I don't really care about the changes to how things or races look. I just can't be bothered to tune in when there's nothing to discover in the plot, pun intended. It is an ongoing story you already know the ending to.