Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Alter Ego posted:

You can crank the difficulty up on the story missions in the expansions...there are three difficulties, Story, Veteran, and Master.

This is true for KOTFE and KOTET, not SoR. And honestly, the difficulty bump from Story to Veteran is insane - it's not a small difference. Basically, Story means you're in whatever gear you want and not max level, Veteran you should really only consider when you're in entry level endgame gear at max level. And even then the challenge is just "poo poo hits harder and has more hit points" and isn't worth the effort, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Reminder that anybody who feels like the game is too easy can just dismiss their companion. Instant hard mode!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

This is true for KOTFE and KOTET, not SoR. And honestly, the difficulty bump from Story to Veteran is insane - it's not a small difference. Basically, Story means you're in whatever gear you want and not max level, Veteran you should really only consider when you're in entry level endgame gear at max level. And even then the challenge is just "poo poo hits harder and has more hit points" and isn't worth the effort, in my opinion.

This is good to know. I started story on my warrior with a 4 piece set bonus already and things were melting in SM so I thought for m Sorc to do it in Veteran mode for the achievement points. Might still try it anyway to see what a pain in the dick it is.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

This is good to know. I started story on my warrior with a 4 piece set bonus already and things were melting in SM so I thought for m Sorc to do it in Veteran mode for the achievement points. Might still try it anyway to see what a pain in the dick it is.

Veteran is still fairly easy in that any class can walk through them.

Master is definitely a kick in the nuts where a minion can global you on a lucky auto attack crit. If you want to trivialize it use a Merc where you have a 60 sec CC and can laugh as elites and bosses kill themselves on your reflect.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is there really any benefit to doing the side poo poo in KOTFE? I just keep opening crates of bad looking gear I don't want and doing really annoying lengthy side quests, and they want me to grind more crates for every Star Fortress? Should I just mainline the story until endgame?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, what's your thoughts on best DPS for ranked these days? As much as I love my Operative in regs, her bag of tricks just isn't as useful in arenas.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Is there really any benefit to doing the side poo poo in KOTFE? I just keep opening crates of bad looking gear I don't want and doing really annoying lengthy side quests, and they want me to grind more crates for every Star Fortress? Should I just mainline the story until endgame?

If you're talking about the Alliance Alerts and Star Fortresses then yeah just mainline the story. You can always go back and do that stuff after if you want to.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of that stuff is there to give players stuff to do while waiting for the next story patch. There’s no reason to hold off on the story missions to do side stuff at this point that I can think of

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Other than The One And Only title, of course. :getin:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, what's your thoughts on best DPS for ranked these days? As much as I love my Operative in regs, her bag of tricks just isn't as useful in arenas.

Fury Marauder = Arsenal Merc > Lethality Op > Engineering Sniper. Merc has the lowest floor.

Stay away from PT, Sorc, Jugg, and Sins, all have the same issue (in DPS spec) of a lack of survivability. There is no hiding in Ranked, being a new name is already going to get you focused, being a weak AC is going to intensify it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Fury Marauder = Arsenal Merc > Lethality Op > Engineering Sniper. Merc has the lowest floor.

Stay away from PT, Sorc, Jugg, and Sins, all have the same issue (in DPS spec) of a lack of survivability. There is no hiding in Ranked, being a new name is already going to get you focused, being a weak AC is going to intensify it.

Lethality Op is that good? I was definitely pulling numbers but figured a Viru sniper would be better. We lost all the time but the other 3 with me were new to Ranked (and PvP in general, really).

What's the general go to strategy these days? Burning the healer is tough with a competent tank, split DPS on different targets?

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
Hey guys, I played this game 4 years ago. I got to around level 30 with a Sith Inquisitor and then stopped playing because I felt like the story was going nowhere and levelling took very long.

Downloading this right now because I've caught the Star Wars itch and there's nothing else around to really scratch it. I think I bought something or other back then so I guess that brings me to preferred status? If i want to go ahead and just play KOTOR III, can I blaze through the story right now without having to level a lot? What would be the right class for that experience? I'm torn between Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior, those sound fun. How long does beating the story for a class take?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The game is designed to allow you to level through story missions, which is Class and Planetary storyline. You can skip the Planetary but you'll have to substitute something, be it PvP, Flashpoints or Heroic missions.

Watching the cinematics fully you're looking at around 40 hours for each class mission. Putting on subtitles and skipping the full spoken dialogue will reduce that time.

The Knight and the Warrior are definitely the two best candidates to play KOTOR 3, and make the most sense in the expansion. Warrior with a mix of Light and Dark side decisions is my favorite story in the game, so I'd recommend that.

Some people hate the Knight story, I personally enjoyed it, but not as much as Warrior.

For class I'd recommend going with a Juggernaut or Guardian, as Marauder and Sentinel are a bit harder to play.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Lethality Op is that good? I was definitely pulling numbers but figured a Viru sniper would be better. We lost all the time but the other 3 with me were new to Ranked (and PvP in general, really).

What's the general go to strategy these days? Burning the healer is tough with a competent tank, split DPS on different targets?

Lethality Op has really good pressure (attacking multiple targets) and the best off-heals of any DPS spec. Lethality Op heals are GCD intensive but are energy neutral. They've also got a combat reset in vanish and excellent CC.

Virulence is better at pressure but has minimum heals and team utility which is bad in a typical 4 DPS v 4 DPS match, especially if you have tunneling teammates who are going to leave your rear end hanging in the wind. Solo Ranked is about being self-reliant and Engineering is better imo because it has better soft control in spammable slows and such.

There are currently 3 strategies in granked:

Hard swap i.e. burning a single target. The goal here is to either separate and CC the healer and tank and burn one or the other or a weak DPS or be better at DPS than the opposing healer is at healing. Hard swap is good against Sorc healers who struggle at burst healing.

Pressure i.e. brute force. The goal here is to use AoE and DoT spread to damage everyone and make the healer keep up. Typically Annihilation, Lethality, Virulence and such. This is good against Merc healers who struggle healing multiple targets.

lolAcid i.e. playing for acid every round. This is 4 stealth or 4 healers trying to win by acid every single round. If you play this I hope you get cancer of the rear end and it's terminal.

Really Ranked is about communication; picking targets, coordinating CC, knowing who's used their DCD's, peeling for someone in trouble, etc For example as a Corruption Sorc I would call out when I'm about to use/used Barrier so my teammates know I've used my DCD and they won't be receiving healing for up to 8 seconds.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This is a bit of a crapshoot, but is there anything that can be done about SWTOR's terrible mouselook? It's a bit hard to describe, but I've always felt it's stuttery, and I especially notice it now that I've been playing Overwatch.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

The game is designed to allow you to level through story missions, which is Class and Planetary storyline. You can skip the Planetary but you'll have to substitute something, be it PvP, Flashpoints or Heroic missions.

Watching the cinematics fully you're looking at around 40 hours for each class mission. Putting on subtitles and skipping the full spoken dialogue will reduce that time.

The Knight and the Warrior are definitely the two best candidates to play KOTOR 3, and make the most sense in the expansion. Warrior with a mix of Light and Dark side decisions is my favorite story in the game, so I'd recommend that.

Some people hate the Knight story, I personally enjoyed it, but not as much as Warrior.

For class I'd recommend going with a Juggernaut or Guardian, as Marauder and Sentinel are a bit harder to play.

Thanks! I started up both a Sith Warrior, which had some really fun Light Side Options as well as a Jedi Knight, where I really gravitated towards Dark Side answers. These both seem fun, maybe I should just play them both...

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
http://dulfy.net/2018/01/21/swtor-upcoming-cartel-market-items-from-patch-5-7/

Here are things.

Enjoy.

<3

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

My wallet wasn't ready for another pack.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
My son just downloaded this and is starting on free to play. I used to subscribe and unlocked a bunch of stuff like rocket boosts and all kinds of other stuff. I'm downloading now so we can play together. I don't really mind paying for subscriptions for both of us, but do I need to wait till we hit expansions before subscribing or is there some benefit to doing it now? It'll probably take us awhile to get through the base game. I read through the op, hopefully didn't miss anything that addressed this. Just want to make sure I'm not going to outlevel him or some bs since I'll be a preferred player or what not.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

just spend $5 on his account to unlock it from f2p to preferred or whatever its called. ive beaten every class story on and off over the course of about 2 years as preferred and its been great

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kly posted:

just spend $5 on his account to unlock it from f2p to preferred or whatever its called. ive beaten every class story on and off over the course of about 2 years as preferred and its been great

I would recommend just subscribing for a month. A poo poo ton more value for $15 and a better investment than $5 in cartel coins in the long run, assuming you can swing it.

That said, I'm not sure how young your son is but pure F2P is really rough. But since they two of you will be playing together, he doesn't care about talking in chat, etc. Butt ultimately if you're going to play the expansions, you might as well sub for a month for a much less frustrating experience.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Thanks. Yeah I'll just pay for subs for a month and we will go from there. He's played MMOs before. I'll probably be slowing him down.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i guess i got lucky with my $5 cause it eventually got me the hutt and reven content and the second (?!) fallen empire expac and 14 character slots long before i was done even just the class stories. that being said next time i get into this game again ill have to do a sub unless theyve given away the first expac by then

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm coming back to this for the first time in a while, and I've hit the point where operations are kind of a thing.

Is there any good way to do the operations in order on story mode to just get the plot content, or am I stuck at the whim of the RNG that assigns the daily story mode op?

edit: follow up question: how important are the operations to the over-all plot? I'm gathering from googling that the dread masters story line will make zero sense. Anything else? Suck it up and level alts through their class story while waiting for story mode ops to come up in the right order?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm coming back to this for the first time in a while, and I've hit the point where operations are kind of a thing.

Is there any good way to do the operations in order on story mode to just get the plot content, or am I stuck at the whim of the RNG that assigns the daily story mode op?

edit: follow up question: how important are the operations to the over-all plot? I'm gathering from googling that the dread masters story line will make zero sense. Anything else? Suck it up and level alts through their class story while waiting for story mode ops to come up in the right order?

The group finder Operation order actually isn't RNG, it's a set order so you'll know what op is each day. Here is a calendar with what op is each day.

That said, that's not the story order of the ops, check the first page of this thread and I have a list of them in order. On Awful app so can't copy and paste very easy.

As far as story goes, all of the Operations from Eternity Vault until Dread Palace are part of the Dread Masters arc, but there is very little story *in* the ops, it's centrally before and after. If you don't *want* to raid you can just watch the videos on YouTube. If you would like to do them, there are always groups forming on fleet for the op of the day (don't queue like the system is designed to, all groups form first)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is it worth getting in the goon guilds for this stuff? Are we still active here?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You get some buffs for being in the guild and can use free no-cooldown teleports to and from The Space Bar, our mighty goonship, which has all useful amenities concentrated right where you teleport in. Never go hunting a mail terminal, vendor, bank, item mod station, or exchange ever again.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it worth getting in the goon guilds for this stuff? Are we still active here?

I might also hand out free stuff from time to time.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
My Skadge is ready.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I haven't played much in the past couple years, but if you're interested in doing stuff, I could be talked into being active.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I've had a jolly good time playing as the Trooper class with the giant assault cannon thing, no subtlety at all, just shoot everything, everywhere, all the time. Such a relief after playing a sneaky Jedi Shadow.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Is there a day of the week/ time that would work well for everyone? Figure we could get in the habit of doing a flashpoint or two, or - if we actually get enough on - a raid.

Personally, any day would probably be fine for me. I am available from like 5 Central to 10 Central.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

mastajake posted:

Is there a day of the week/ time that would work well for everyone? Figure we could get in the habit of doing a flashpoint or two, or - if we actually get enough on - a raid.

Personally, any day would probably be fine for me. I am available from like 5 Central to 10 Central.

I think we could probably bring back Sunday Funday. I'll start logging on Sundays at 8pm and we'll see who all logs on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just not Friday night for me, as I will reliably be away from home.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After having recently binged on The Clone Wars series, I was debating whether or not to play this game.

I set aside my preconceived notions from when it was in closed beta and everything I'd hear since then, and thoroughly read through the OP.

Still not sure, my eyes fell upon something beautiful:

Playing it! :peanut:

If I have an old closed beta account do I need to make a new one and if so then how do I do that? Currently the Play Free! link leads to a hot mess of broken code.

For that matter, how do I recover my old beta account and is that even possible? The launcher does not seem to recognize the email I've been using for 12 years.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 23, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Addamere posted:

If I have an old closed beta account do I need to make a new one and if so then how do I do that? Currently the Play Free! link leads to a hot mess of broken code.

For that matter, how do I recover my old beta account and is that even possible? The launcher does not seem to recognize the email I've been using for 12 years.

At some point a while after launch it switched from using your email address to your username to log in, so perhaps you remember that? If you're not sure, try going to https://account.swtor.com/user/displayname/recover and see if that works.

That said, it might not be worth the trouble unless you had a security key tied to your account at launch, in which case you'd be accumulating cartel coins all this time. If not, might be easier to just create a new account.

Edit - Also, it's patch day and supposedly the SWTOR.com page has been having issues all day, so maybe wait til tomorrow. :)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol I just realized all my characters are on a different server than the goon guilds. Doh.

edit: never mind, apparently my characters were transferred during the server mergers and I'm just a bit dense.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 24, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha I had forgotten the customization I'd given today's returning companion, was a bit started.

Edit -

Medullah fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 24, 2018

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I really wanted to see Corso's reaction to telling him Lana is like a million times better than he is, but apparently I never even finished KotFE on my smuggler :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, so command stash:

I only have on character over lvl 70. If I leave some poo poo in my command stash can other characters grab it when they hit 70, or is it per-character not per-legacy?

I've got a blaster barrel in there and my lvl 70 is a jedi. It's bind on pickup and I'm wondering if I should just burn it or hang onto it until my smuggler hits 70.