Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

ElCondemn posted:

find something he did to directly improve the lives of the poor, minorities or other underrepresented classes because as I said I am having trouble finding anything.

ok, now do the same for dems but with the caveat "adopted policy before public polling went higher than 60/40 in favor of"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

ok, now do the same for dems but with the caveat "adopted policy before public polling went higher than 60/40 in favor of"

Isn’t that an important distinction?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LividLiquid posted:

Every grocery store has a deli counter that will make you a better, cheaper sandwich than Subway. I will never understand Subway.

When I worked at a supermarket Deli, nothing pissed me off more when people ordered a sandwich. It's a lot of effort to pull me aside from giving out deli meats to make a sandwich that I won't get a tip on.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Eggnogium posted:

Isn’t that an important distinction?

If you're trying to take the path of "one side is bad-bad, the other side is good-bad," then yeah, I'd say it is. That wonderful valor of the white-knight politicians making Condemn's life marginally better loses a bit of it's luster when you realize that they would have never implemented that policy without constant dragging by their constituents/voters.

This whole anecdotal "wow, these guys were good for me, these guys not so much" proof of value attached to a party is such a ridiculous conversation, anyway. Trying to qualify one as better or worse for the nation because of the effect they had on your small slice of it is partisan hackery 101 and should be ridiculed at every turn.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I'm not sure I understand your issue here, what does it matter if they adopt policy when it becomes popular? Are you just arguing that they're not doing enough? I agree with that for sure but it doesn't make the two "sides" equivalent.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

This whole anecdotal "wow, these guys were good for me, these guys not so much" proof of value attached to a party is such a ridiculous conversation, anyway. Trying to qualify one as better or worse for the nation because of the effect they had on your small slice of it is partisan hackery 101 and should be ridiculed at every turn.

I'm not arguing that anecdotally "these guys were good to me", I'm saying the policies and platforms endorsed and enacted by the republican party are actively hostile against me and people like me. Is your point that I should act like Obama and Clinton were just as bad as every politician that came before or after them and there's no point in supporting them or their policies?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2018

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
my point is that when someone refers to former presidents as monsters and then follows up that claim with citations on why they believe they were monsters perhaps you should have something better than 'gee, I dunno, I benefitted a heck of a lot more with them than I did when the other guys were around' as a counter-point. It's great that you had personal benefit from the left hand of the political machine while the right hand continued committing the same patented American™ imperialistic violence abroad and self-dealing crony capitalism at home, a lot of the rest of the country weren't lucky enough to get the distraction.

As far as your first question of equity between parties is concerned I'll clarify my point; I'm getting incredibly exhausted with dems building themselves up as the champions of the marginalized when the fact of the matter is that they won't present national policy supporting said groups until it's a slam dunk.

There's certainly been a shift in the last few years of congressional dems putting their neck out there a bit earlier but, in the most easily identifiable example, half of the party members and almost the entire leadership would rather criticize the messenger for not following their rules than address the presented issue(s). Votes are earned, not guaranteed, and it's certainly nice to look at historic victories as proof of representation but lately I've been feeling a hell of a lot more of "what have you done for me lately."

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Good point, I will vote for the viable leftist party.

Oh poo poo.

Guess it is the least evil again. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peachfart posted:

Most Subway's are in the suburbs where there are grocery stores everywhere.

You are talking out of your rear end. In my low income neighborhood assuming you're walking because you are a poor person without reliable transportation, your options are Subway or Safeway, and sure the Safeway sandwich will be better but it sure as gently caress won't be cheaper, especially if you add a side and a drink.

Don't be a loving snob about cheap sandwiches. (I don't like Subway and don't go to Subway myself, but I also have a disposable income and a much better opportunity to be choosy than a lot of folks on my neighborhood).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Good point, I will vote for the viable leftist party.

Oh poo poo.

Guess it is the least evil again. :shrug:
If we could all just admit that both parties as evil, and are actively working against the general welfare of the public, it would be a tremendous first step. We're a long way off from that while the majority of the discourse around politics is credulous garbage similar to this:

ElCondemn posted:

I am pretty hard pressed to find policies that GWB enacted that positively impacted me or people like me. Clearly this means that I'm pro-racial profiling, but maybe you can find something he did to directly improve the lives of the poor, minorities or other underrepresented classes because as I said I am having trouble finding anything.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DrNutt posted:

You are talking out of your rear end. In my low income neighborhood assuming you're walking because you are a poor person without reliable transportation, your options are Subway or Safeway, and sure the Safeway sandwich will be better but it sure as gently caress won't be cheaper, especially if you add a side and a drink.

Don't be a loving snob about cheap sandwiches. (I don't like Subway and don't go to Subway myself, but I also have a disposable income and a much better opportunity to be choosy than a lot of folks on my neighborhood).

From everything I can find, Subway subs and Safeway subs cost nearly the same amount. Also, saying that Subway is gross isn't attacking the poor, in the same way that saying the clothes at Old Navy are poor quality(they are).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Peachfart posted:

From everything I can find, Subway subs and Safeway subs cost nearly the same amount. Also, saying that Subway is gross isn't attacking the poor, in the same way that saying the clothes at Old Navy are poor quality(they are).

I will fight you over Old Navy jeans you dumb bitch

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

whomupclicklike posted:

I will fight you over Old Navy jeans you dumb bitch

I worked at Old Navy for nearly 6 years so I know the truth(it's all cheap crap).

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Peachfart posted:

I worked at Old Navy for nearly 6 years so I know the truth(it's all cheap crap).

But I look so good in them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peachfart posted:

Nah, you're talking like 6-7 bucks at Subway and for an equivalent amount of food you're probably closer to ten. Not a deal breaker for most regular posters here but potentially a deal breaker for someone living in poverty.

I fail to see the difference between mocking poor families for choosing Subway for a treat or choosing to buy clothes at Old Navy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not arguing that anecdotally "these guys were good to me", I'm saying the policies and platforms endorsed and enacted by the republican party are actively hostile against me and people like me. Is your point that I should act like Obama and Clinton were just as bad as every politician that came before or after them and there's no point in supporting them or their policies?
If you have a soft spot for some speech that Clinton or Obama made that made you feel warm and fuzzy thats fine, but you should be able to also acknowledge (or if you are dubious then actively look into) the vast effects that they had, purposefully, that made your life worse to the benefit of their actual constituents: bankers, brokers, bombmakers (etc).

You are more insecure and more poor due to actions that Clinton and Obama took*. That has an incredibly high impact on your life.

*Unless you are in fact wealthy** and secure, in which case Ill polish the guillotine for you. :black101:

**In this era that kicks in around 5 million.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

anthonypants posted:

That new Amazon grocery store doesn't take food stamps.

:bezos:

I bet theyll institute an "indenturement for food" plan soon enough though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Nah, you're talking like 6-7 bucks at Subway and for an equivalent amount of food you're probably closer to ten. Not a deal breaker for most regular posters here but potentially a deal breaker for someone living in poverty.

I fail to see the difference between mocking poor families for choosing Subway for a treat or choosing to buy clothes at Old Navy.

Please go back in my posts and show me the part where I mocked the poor for Subway. I just said it was gross.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peachfart posted:

Please go back in my posts and show me the part where I mocked the poor for Subway. I just said it was gross.

You said that calling Subway gross isn't attacking the poor the same way saying that the clothes at Old Navy are poor quality is, and I was just pointing out that I don't see what the difference is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DrNutt posted:

You said that calling Subway gross isn't attacking the poor the same way saying that the clothes at Old Navy are poor quality is, and I was just pointing out that I don't see what the difference is.

their post is missing a verb but I think they meant neither is an attack on the poor

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

DrNutt posted:

They both sell you yoga mats so whats the real difference?

I mean Lady Gaga already proved that you can wear sandwich meat, so its kind of a wash.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

their post is missing a verb but I think they meant neither is an attack on the poor

Yeah, this.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Subs > Burgers

(Any)

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

it's incredibly easy, transactions can be processed through existing POS systems. there is no way this is simply 'oversight,' they knew from the jump that they'd be excluding people from shopping there by not providing a system to accept SNAP and probably thought either "hmm, let's see if we can get away with this" or "we'll apologize after the initial rush subsides, will implement, then will try to get a win on something that should have never been a question in the first place"

You realize the store doesn't have a POS system right? It can only charge the payment instruments you have on file in your Amazon account. The federal government doesn't allow SNAP benefits to be used to shop online yet.

So how exactly would the Food Stamps be processed?

Amazon is already in the pilot to test allowing people to use SNAP online and isn't in Washington state where the GO store is not in the pilot area:
https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2017/01/05/usda-announces-retailer-volunteers-snap-online-purchasing-pilot

So cool your jets.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Jackard posted:

Subs > Burgers

(Any)

I really enjoyed the Burgermaster burgers in Seattle.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

KingFisher posted:

You realize the store doesn't have a POS system right?

no, I didn't know that. probably should have assumed as much, seeing as this is a manifestation of tech wizards' wet dreams of removing human interaction at every step of the process.

it's charming that you somehow think this doesn't just further the accusation i was insinuating in my post, though. ofc they're interested in taking SNAP on a national level- it's money and literally millions of people in the country are receiving benefits and, outside of the GOP going nuclear and eliminating the program entirely (as opposed to implementing 3 month limits wherever and whenever possible), it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. if amazon truly wants to shake things up in the walmart/target domain they've got to get into grocery sales (hence the WF acquisition) and not having a structured way to take money from the 40+ million beneficiaries would be colossally stupid. that being said I won't be surprised if they push those customers to their grocery outlets to keep the amazon go locations "exclusive"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tsunami warning my dudes. Stay safe.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Got about an hour and a half before it starts to tickle the tip of Vancouver Island.

I am not sleeping tonight.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

no, I didn't know that. probably should have assumed as much, seeing as this is a manifestation of tech wizards' wet dreams of removing human interaction at every step of the process.
Goddamn you robots! Goddamn you to heeeelllllll!!!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not saying that, you're just making poo poo up. I'm saying that Obama and Clinton had policies that directly affected people like me positively, meanwhile the "other side" is actively attacking people like me. I'm sure you'll twist it into me being complicit in the murder of children or whatever but I think it's really disingenuous to pretend like there's no difference between the parties and the platforms they endorse.

I am pretty hard pressed to find policies that GWB enacted that positively impacted me or people like me. Clearly this means that I'm pro-racial profiling, but maybe you can find something he did to directly improve the lives of the poor, minorities or other underrepresented classes because as I said I am having trouble finding anything.

It ain't all about you comrade. Obama and Clinton pushed imperialism that killed a lot of people that you don't seem to care about.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really enjoyed the Burgermaster burgers in Seattle.

Agreed. I especially like how they let you order them without ketchup if that's what you like.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I used to live very close to the Burgermaster on Aurora and became briefly addicted to their fish sandwich. I am not proud.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't know why Burgermaster isn't cheap though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJeugIJFXas

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Later that year, a nazi would murder two men and injure another on a MAX train.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like burgermaster but it's not really worth the price. Unless it's all-you-can-eat spaghetti mondays.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

The cops would've been there earlier but they were too busy holding mass at their nazi shrine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The city of Portland just approved a lease for Multnomah County to have a homeless shelter on Foster, and I am excited to see how badly they gently caress this up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

anthonypants posted:

The city of Portland just approved a lease for Multnomah County to have a homeless shelter on Foster, and I am excited to see how badly they gently caress this up.

There is certainly a need for some sort of shelter in that area. I guess it's positive that they didn't push it out to Lents?

It is gonna take a huge commitment of resources and a lot of services that I bet are not going to be provided to keep it from becoming a blight on the neighborhood though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The neighborhood is already throwing a NIMBY fit.

If you ask me, low income and homeless services sound be mandatory, like handicapped parking.