Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of Summermyst, if I'm using a mod that incorporates it (specifically, Nexus Skyrim Overhaul), and which specifically recommends not to include it separately, can I do anything to support a compatibility patch between another mod and Summermyst (specifically, the one included in Skyrim Revamped)?

Like, in the most optimistic case where the Overhaul didn't alter the Summermyst items (supposedly it's a modpack that only fixed conflicts between mods and otherwise didn't alter them), I could just use Wrye Bash to ignore the missing master issue and the patch should apply just fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wouldn't. My advice, if you're absolutely committed to this, is to open the compatibility patch in SSEEdit, see what it does, and remake it for your use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don’t use the Nexus Skyrim Overhaul. It’s trash.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Arivia posted:

Why, is it technically poorly put together or something?

I like most of the mods on it, and the few I don't (e.g. the guard shields) are texture/mesh mods I can just override with a different one or disable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Have any of you guys tried know your enemy? Sounds like it might add some weaknesses/strengths that could be seen as common sense, but I'm worried it might make some stupid changes that are just frustrating.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
It's pretty legit.

The only complaint I really have is the "armored" trait doesn't actually benefit the NPC with any armor, so perks like skullcrusher are completely useless with the content the mod touches-

which is literally no worse than vanilla in that respect, so with all of the other traits it still goes a LONG way to making NPCs more interesting and varied than Bethesdas utter lack of variety.

Anyway, it's more about having the right tool for the problem I recommend an unleveler like Morrowloot Ultimate, or Revamped https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14338. You MIGHT be able to push certain avenues harder with Know Your Enemy, and in doing so, these stand to reward you more for the trouble, facilitating exploration down other avenues.

It doesn't really do anything beyond NPC resists. Things are either weak to somethings, and/or resistant to other things. That's it. You won't encounter deathlords that stagger lock you with shouts, or stupid necromancers that blow everything up with super cheap high damage custom spells.

Everything beyond resists are vanilla. HP, spells, attacks, nothing has changes. Only what weapon/elements NPCs are strong/weak to - and it picks all of this based on a variety of "traits" that are applies in a coherent, self explanatory way that results in good variety.

Only reason I would recommend against KYE is if you're the sort that likes to hyper-specialize until you can 1-button victory the game. KYE doesn't give anything health, so it's still probably possible, but it really encourages a healthy selection of options over making any one of them too good.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
KYE looks pretty cool. I was excited for a moment to try that out on my next run along with Bound Armory Extravaganza until I remembered it does weapon selection through mcm and not individual spells. Speaking of bound weapons, I remain disappointed that in 6 years I have yet to see a Bound Staves mod. Always wanted a 1h ranged conjuration weapon and think a cool purple flame/fireball staff would be fun but one has never popped up to my knowledge.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Does anyone know if there's a way to make lights like fires and candlelight and stuff produce more light? I have my nights set to really dark, but fires, while bright enough to see from far away, don't produce any light past a 2ft radius. It would be really fine if I could navigate to a light source without hitting a rock or falling off a cliff or whatever.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I think there's a Skyrim Relit mod that remaps the lighting to actually come from torches and lanterns, so they aren't inexplicably cast into shadow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know I'm 6 years late but wow Blackreach is a really cool environment.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yes, it's actually one of my favorite places in the game. There's even a dragon hidden down there (Don't use Unrelenting Force on the "sun" unless u want an asskicking.)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Arivia posted:

NihilCredo posted:

Why, is it technically poorly put together or something?

I like most of the mods on it, and the few I don't (e.g. the guard shields) are texture/mesh mods I can just override with a different one or disable.

Reposting this in case anyone has an answer?

'Cause Arivia's post made me wary of working any further on my NSO-based mod build in case there's an actual good reason I should throw it away. :ohdear:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to make lights like fires and candlelight and stuff produce more light? I have my nights set to really dark, but fires, while bright enough to see from far away, don't produce any light past a 2ft radius. It would be really fine if I could navigate to a light source without hitting a rock or falling off a cliff or whatever.

mods that increase the radius (not brightness) of things like torches and candle/mage light help.

But odds are your problem is related to the way those darker nights mods work through manipulating the imagespace. I find those things always end up with an inky blackness that just swallows up actual light sources (while bloomy textures/particles blind - they also don't actually cast any light).

In otherwords, you're hosed. You can get 10x + light radius mods, that will still look strange unless literally every single lightsource is edited, and get completely disgusting results during the day - or in environments that don't use the same light-crushing image space edits to "darken" the world. Or just pretend that darkness in your fantasy game world literally eats light like some sort of eldritch horror.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I just played through the main game + Dragonborn with that overhaul + a bunch of other stuff and didn't have any issues, ymmv I guess

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Note that any object in the game (that includes the various static meshes that make up the geometry you wander around in) can only be lit by up to 4 different lights. That's a hard limit of the Skyrim engine. It was apparently removed from Fallout 4; but Skyrim, even SSE, still has it.

So when you go for no ambient lighting, all lights from dynamic sources, this restriction tends to become really blatant.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Reposting this in case anyone has an answer?

'Cause Arivia's post made me wary of working any further on my NSO-based mod build in case there's an actual good reason I should throw it away. :ohdear:

It was just a mess that caused a bunch of compatibility issues and made my game really unstable. I was probably putting too much stuff on it, but I don't feel like it was worth it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When Brynjolf tries to approach you about his stupid Thieves Guild you can't even fight him. I knew he wouldn't die but I thought I could at least knock the dumb bastard unconscious so he leaves me alone, but he's straight up invincible.

Goddamn Riften sucks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

When Brynjolf tries to approach you about his stupid Thieves Guild you can't even fight him. I knew he wouldn't die but I thought I could at least knock the dumb bastard unconscious so he leaves me alone, but he's straight up invincible.

Goddamn Riften sucks.

Riften has exactly one redeeming feature: You can murder an old woman while children cheer you on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

A.o.D. posted:

Riften has exactly one redeeming feature: You can murder an old woman while children cheer you on.

Two: you can drop a random axe in the market and watch people murder each other over it.

I did that just yesterday and Brand-Shei stabbed an unarmed but batshit berserk Marise Aravel to death and then everyone including the guards walked away not giving a poo poo. Also I picked the axe back up and sold it to Grelka.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2018

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Eric the Mauve posted:

Two: you can drop a random axe in the market and watch people murder each other over it.

I did that just yesterday and Brand-Shei stabbed an unarmed but batshit berserk Marise Aravel to death and then everyone including the guards walked away not giving a poo poo. Also I picked the axe back up and sold it to Grelka.

Outside of the occasional random thieves that spawn, who's aggro in Riften?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm always upset that there's no way to kill Maven Black-briar. You can't talk up some NPC as an ultimate criminal mastermind, have them walk in front of me town, and not expect me to beat the poo poo out of them.

It wouldn't be so bad if she actually had a personal guard that would demolish you if you tried.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The worst case of "Why is this character essential" for me was Rolff Stone-Fist, you guy who you first see in Windhelm harassing a Dunmer woman and spending every night yelling drunken insults in the Gray Quarter. Spent the effort sneaking up on him and making sure I wouldn't be seen when I stabbed him and.... essential. Why. He's not even relevant to any quests.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Because Bethesda hates players who get uppity about breaking their precious story.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The weird thing is Bethesda already had fixed this problem. In previous games you could set a person to "protected" where they couldn't be killed by anyone but the player. If the player killed them, they would stagger like they do now, and then only if the player chose to hit them again would they die, preventing accidental player kills.

Just put every NPC in the game on that and everyone would be happy.

Edit: lol I just looked it up and Skyrim does have that feature too. It shouldn't be too hard in theory to just run a script to make every NPC in the game protected.

Edit edit: Ugh there's no console command to do it. There's setessential and isprotected but no setprotected, so this unfortunately can't be done via batch file.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 24, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the Morrowind way is best. Allow you to kill NPCs then notify you that you may have screwed up your game

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

The worst case of "Why is this character essential" for me was Rolff Stone-Fist, you guy who you first see in Windhelm harassing a Dunmer woman and spending every night yelling drunken insults in the Gray Quarter. Spent the effort sneaking up on him and making sure I wouldn't be seen when I stabbed him and.... essential. Why. He's not even relevant to any quests.

it feels good to download the mod that removes essential flags from certain characters so you can sneak up on certain people that need their kidneys ventilated and then give them the business.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

The weird thing is Bethesda already had fixed this problem. In previous games you could set a person to "protected" where they couldn't be killed by anyone but the player. If the player killed them, they would stagger like they do now, and then only if the player chose to hit them again would they die, preventing accidental player kills.

Just put every NPC in the game on that and everyone would be happy.

Edit: lol I just looked it up and Skyrim does have that feature too. It shouldn't be too hard in theory to just run a script to make every NPC in the game protected.

Edit edit: Ugh there's no console command to do it. There's setessential and isprotected but no setprotected, so this unfortunately can't be done via batch file.

I believe the protected status is handled via a faction membership (:psyduck:) so you could just AddFaction them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In some cases its just because Bethesda doesn't wanna accommodate for writing dialogue for the player's actions. Maven Black-Briar is mentioned constantly in Riften and obviously killing her would change a lot. Even if it changed nothing in the game beyond dialogue that alone would require them to write and record a bunch of new lines for tons of NPCs. So they look at that and just decide to...not bother. It sucks but they figure its not worth doing all that work to accommodate a choice very few players will make (though I think a lot of people would pursue this option if it was available because she's such an awful person).

Game would probably be a lot better if Bethesda was forced to write around every character being a possible kill, but that takes a lot of work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Internet Kraken posted:

In some cases its just because Bethesda doesn't wanna accommodate for writing dialogue for the player's actions. Maven Black-Briar is mentioned constantly in Riften and obviously killing her would change a lot. Even if it changed nothing in the game beyond dialogue that alone would require them to write and record a bunch of new lines for tons of NPCs. So they look at that and just decide to...not bother. It sucks but they figure its not worth doing all that work to accommodate a choice very few players will make (though I think a lot of people would pursue this option if it was available because she's such an awful person).

Game would probably be a lot better if Bethesda was forced to write around every character being a possible kill, but that takes a lot of work.

It's not even because they'd have to write around it, it's because they'd have to get voice actors for it. Making the decision to have every line of dialog voice acted seriously limits what you can do in an RPG in terms of player choice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's not even because they'd have to write around it, it's because they'd have to get voice actors for it. Making the decision to have every line of dialog voice acted seriously limits what you can do in an RPG in terms of player choice.

Considering the recent advances in artificial personal assistants, I wonder when we'll get a RPGs where voice actors are only used for major NPCs while random villager comments are generated by a Siri knock-off.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

NihilCredo posted:

Considering the recent advances in artificial personal assistants, I wonder when we'll get a RPGs where voice actors are only used for major NPCs while random villager comments are generated by a Siri knock-off.

Are you referring to this?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/in-amazons-game-engine-voice-actors-can-now-be-replaced-with-robots/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Microsoft Bob posted:

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Internet Kraken posted:

Goddamn Riften sucks.

Just cancel out of conversations with the shittier people who come up to you. Brynjolf, Ancano, etc. And also you should shoulder-check them on you're way out, just to make your point that much more clear :fuckoff:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

No as I hadn't actually heard of that, but that's cool!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Simsmagic posted:

he's a gosh darn veteran you gray bellied varmint

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Internet Kraken posted:

Maven is actually pretty important. If she dies and the player makes certain decisions she becomes Jarl. At which point poo poo goes haywire in other plot critical quests down the line. Also, don't forget that those decisions were originally linked with the civil war. Which itself was capable of resolving itself in the original design plans for Skyrim. That Civil War Overhaul mod that the mod maker took down because he threw a tantrum was literally centered all around finishing their work. Some of the essential NPC's were probably made so back when they were working on the civil war.

The racist has a quest associated with him too. Or at one point had one. Hence why you can't shank him immediately.

Morrowind is a unique case in that they had to create an intensely convoluted way to circumvent the primary quest if you hosed it up. Sure, the game and everyone in it that's in the know tells you you hosed up and the world's going to end. But true to Morrowind's themes you can go "gently caress prophecy. I make the rules." and find a way to jury rig a fix if you know the way. There's nothing like that in Skyrim barring outright glitching the game to finish it. Hence the essential NPC's.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 24, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

The racist has a quest associated with him too. Or at one point had one. Hence why you can't shank him immediately.

he's a potential target for one of the thieves guild "steal things from a random person" quests, which is why he's essential

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Red Metal posted:

he's a potential target for one of the thieves guild "steal things from a random person" quests, which is why he's essential
No, that's a radiant quest. Those don't care if a potential target isn't available.
The only thing in the game that requires Rolf being alive (meaning poo poo would break otherwise) is that introductory scene when you first enter Windholm.

Agents are GO! posted:

I believe the protected status is handled via a faction membership (:psyduck:) so you could just AddFaction them.
It's a flag NPCs & Aliases can have just like Essential. Or Invulnerable for that matter. Factions have nothing to do with it.

There isn't a console command for Protected because Skyrim introduced that flag (it just inherited the SetEssential command from the games before it) and more importantly also introduced the Alias system which makes such a console command generally useless. Toggling the essential or any other flag on a NPC's baseform is pointless if it carries a quest alias that forces the essential flag on the NPC.
The only way to really remove all essential flags is by going over all the NPCs baseforms and all quest aliases and switch those flags around. And even then there are probably some scripts that temporarily make a NPC essential, invulnerable or whatever.
But honestly, there isn't much point to it since you killing such a NPC isn't acknowledged in any way and just leads to quests breaking. :shrug:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Raygereio posted:

No, that's a radiant quest. Those don't care if a potential target isn't available.
The only thing in the game that requires Rolf being alive (meaning poo poo would break otherwise) is that introductory scene when you first enter Windholm.
Radiant quests do care, because if you kill every potential target the quest breaks. If it were simply because of that silly intro scene the essential flag would/could be cleared during the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Radiant quests do care, because if you kill every potential target the quest breaks. If it were simply because of that silly intro scene the essential flag would/could be cleared during the scene.
Radiant quests really don't. They were designed to be flexible and not have fixed targets. If there are no potential targets available, the quest won't start. Nothing should noticeable break (other then you no longer being able to activate that radiant quest), but since there are so many potential targets available you will probably never see that happen in any normal non-genocidal playthrough.
The Thieves Guild's The Fishing Job radiant quest can pick nearly any NPC in a city. There are plenty of NPCs that fit that criteria that don't have the essential flag. Just like other radiant quests have plenty of potential targets that don't have the essential flag.

Maybe Bethesda gave Rolff the essential flag because of that intro and forgot to remove it afterwards. Maybe Bethesda wanted Rolff to always be around because he basically single-handedly represents Windholm's racism against Dunmer. Maybe some Bethesda dev just misclicked and no one ever bothered to fix it. Who knows. :shrug:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 25, 2018