Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fangz posted:

They should be banished to some other world

Perhaps Antarctica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
or perhaps a place further than the universe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fangz posted:

guess shinkai isn't the next miyazaki after all

Your Name actually had a limited release in LA in 2016 so it could qualify for last year's awards

Where it was also shunned because the Academy doesn't respect animation as an art form.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Your Name actually had a limited release in LA in 2016 so it could qualify for last year's awards

Where it was also shunned because the Academy doesn't respect animation as an art form.

It's not even just an anime thing - the Academy barely seems to be aware of western animation outside of Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks. The Lego Movie wasn't a ridiculously good movie or anything, but I and most people I've encountered who watched it at least had a good time with it, which is more than I can say for Boss Goddamn Baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surprisingly, when you let a bunch of 70 year old men who havent been engaged with art since the 1970s make an awards show, they make really bad choices

especially so in the field of animation, where the number of oscar judges who are on the panels because of their work in the field of animation is, like, 3

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd be kind of interested in taking an academic look at how it feels like western critics in general at one point just kind of collectively decided that animation was fundamentally for either relatively light family-friendly fare ala Disney or gross/edgy comedy ala Adult Swim fare - if that's a thing anyone's ever or will ever do. Feels like something like a Mushishi or a Girls' Last Tour or most of what KyoAni or Shaft put out these days could never get greenlit at a western studio. ...Although I suppose I'm not sure if we're telling tons of those stories in live action, either.

There's also a non-zero possibility I'm just not keeping up enough with western movies and TV well enough and that I'm largely talking out of my rear end. :v:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Western animation has been all downhill since steamboat willie

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weirdest people in the world are people who are huge animation buffs who outright refuse to watch any anime. like not even 'not that into it' but outright hate the very concept of ever watching any animation from japan. like, would you really rather wait months between releases of crappy cgi cartoons with seven licensed songs than watch literally any anime, if you're someone who cares about the art of animation.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

the weirdest people in the world are people who are huge animation buffs who outright refuse to watch any anime. like not even 'not that into it' but outright hate the very concept of ever watching any animation from japan. like, would you really rather wait months between releases of crappy cgi cartoons with seven licensed songs than watch literally any anime, if you're someone who cares about the art of animation.

I can't wrap my head around how such a person could exist, can you offer examples?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I don't actually think I've encountered that sort of nerd snob before.

Like....what do they even talk about? I'm sure I'm self-selecting a bit here, but I can't remember the last time I saw anyone on social media or anything gush over a western cartoon in pure technical terms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They mostly talk about how much they liked teen titans

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Season six when? They need to resolve all the loose threads from the one episode they made after the pretty conclusive end of the final arc as a sequel hook for if they got renewed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Animation snobs hate anime because it's too interested in being realistic and not cartoony enough lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

its not realistic at all, anime characters have such big eyes when asians actua-

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And why do they all look white?!

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

western animation fans talk about looney tunes and ren and stimpy, still

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anime is not produced by the enlightened West.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I mean, I get that you guys are indulging in hyperbole, but even ironically dismissing Western animation as unworthy of "art" status should be punished based on the fact that Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 exist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It is up to us to love the show enough for ten times our number

I'm doing my part!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I mean, I get that you guys are indulging in hyperbole, but even ironically dismissing Western animation as unworthy of "art" status should be punished based on the fact that Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 exist.

No one even jokingly did that, I don't think?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll do it

I don't consume media made by white people

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

look at the cineD animation thread lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

look at cineD

Nah I'm good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Can you quote the post where somebody said that? We were saying that modern western animation is in a way worse place than modern Japanese animation, which you can argue may or may not be true, but nobody was saying western animation was inferior as a whole or anything. Heck my initial post that started this tangent was 'I can totally get preferring Western animation'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nipponophile posted:

That western animation made two good films 80 and 20 years ago has nothing to do with the current state of western animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/955997788571078656

Anime Strike is back, but now it's just Pokemon.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ever heard of a place called Cartoon Brew?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not so much interested in the technical quality of western animation so much as the breadth of the sorts of stories we allow ourselves to tell there, as opposed to in anime. Although I suppose the two things are probably linked to some extent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/955997788571078656

Anime Strike is back, but now it's just Pokemon.

i guess that was what it was mostly used for, then.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

No one even jokingly did that, I don't think?

Endorph posted:

Can you quote the post where somebody said that? We were saying that modern western animation is in a way worse place than modern Japanese animation, which you can argue may or may not be true, but nobody was saying western animation was inferior as a whole or anything. Heck my initial post that started this tangent was 'I can totally get preferring Western animation'

my post pretty much said that. i will admit it in the name of intellectual honesty

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big congrats to jhon cena

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

They mostly talk about how much they liked teen titans

Raven is my uh, what's a gaijin waifu?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wife

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's what I've been saying all these years? Oh god I'm a monster.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's impossible for Americans to produce art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

It's impossible for Americans to produce art.
mask of the betrayer is pretty decent

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That one person who posted in the shoujo thread about how steven universe was better lgbt representation than anything in the entire medium of anime and manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

That one person who posted in the shoujo thread about how steven universe was better lgbt representation than anything in the entire medium of anime and manga
i wonder what their opinions on citrus are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

mask of the betrayer is pretty decent

i bought nwn2 to play it but then i tried playing vanilla nwn2 and realized i actually kind of hate it

• Locked thread