Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

If re-releasing a good game on modern systems was worthy of ridicule then people would never stop making fun of Nintendo.

Or Rockstar. People didn't give them half as much poo poo for re-releasing GTAV half a dozen times in a much smaller time frame on the same drat consoles even as they do Bethesda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Or Rockstar. People didn't give them half as much poo poo for re-releasing GTAV half a dozen times in a much smaller time frame on the same drat consoles even as they do Bethesda.

Wasn’t the only GTA rerelease the nextgen/PC one in 2014? That added first person mode, at least, which is something a lot of people had wanted for a long time.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Bethesda never fixes their poo poo between releases. There's still complete, progress-blocking code fuckups in the core game that mods have fixed and proven can be fixed, and they've done nothing to fix them in the years since release. That's why they get poo poo for it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Bethesda never fixes their poo poo between releases. There's still complete, progress-blocking code fuckups in the core game that mods have fixed and proven can be fixed, and they've done nothing to fix them in the years since release. That's why they get poo poo for it.

That's not true and you know it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wipeout Omega Collection is great, but it becomes really obvious really quickly that while you're trying to get first, the AI is playing a 7v1 and doesn't care which ship beats you. You can still get gold/elite pass and win but once you realize that you can see that it'll have ships take a dive just so it can ram you off a weapon pad or throw itself off a cliff if it means you go too, sabotaging its chance to win so the one behind it can take first.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Welp I'm sure convinced by this

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Guy Mann posted:

There's a problem in the game regarding radiant quests where sometimes the quest will direct you to clear out an area of enemies (bandits, vampires, forsworn, etc.), and specifically to take out the leader of these enemies (which is usually a boss monster like a Briar Heart or a Master Vampire). However, if you've already cleared out that area before taking the quest, the quest becomes impossible to complete because it doesn't recognise that you've killed the leader. Furthermore, the leaders are flagged as special and don't reset with the rest of the dungeon after 30 days. The only way to work around this is to reload a save prior to clearing the dungeon, or to reload a save prior to accepting the radiant quest. This happened to me personally in the original release of the game on the PC, and it's apparently still happening in the Switch version.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah, you have not yet learned the greatest secret of the Dark Souls series: running past things.

There's a dickhead knight at the top of the stairs who keeps blocking me and letting the others catch up and stab me in the buttocks.

Also:

*spawns copy of the boss behind you who immediately burns you to death*

Dark Souls is fair.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Jan 24, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
look, Dark Souls just has a particularly unique interpretation of "fair". it's not one most people have heard of sure, and you can't find it in a dictionary, but

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

There's a dickhead knight at the top of the stairs who keeps blocking me and letting the others catch up and stab me in the buttocks.

Also:

Dark Souls is fair.

:allears: Oh gargoyles.

Inco posted:

There's a problem in the game regarding radiant quests where sometimes the quest will direct you to clear out an area of enemies (bandits, vampires, forsworn, etc.), and specifically to take out the leader of these enemies (which is usually a boss monster like a Briar Heart or a Master Vampire). However, if you've already cleared out that area before taking the quest, the quest becomes impossible to complete because it doesn't recognise that you've killed the leader. Furthermore, the leaders are flagged as special and don't reset with the rest of the dungeon after 30 days. The only way to work around this is to reload a save prior to clearing the dungeon, or to reload a save prior to accepting the radiant quest. This happened to me personally in the original release of the game on the PC, and it's apparently still happening in the Switch version.

This exact poo poo happens in Fallout 4 even, and there are story-related faction quests that send you on radiant quests. Last time I played the game I had the Minutemen, Railroad and that one immortal family quest chains all roadblocked by this exact same glitch.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Also:

Dark Souls is fair.

Which one are you playing? Oh wait is it gargs? Because yeah, it's not particularly hard once you know what's coming and how to account for it but will probably just kill you the first time, which is most of the difficulty really.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That boss is also meant to be the summoning tutorial.

"A second boss? Sure would be nice if there was someone else on your side, huh. Like that friendly knight you met who said you should call on him if you need help? We'll just leave this summon symbol right in front of the boss door."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kay Kessler posted:

"A second boss? Sure would be nice if there was someone else on your side, huh. Like that friendly knight you met who said you should call on him if you need help? We'll just leave this summon symbol right in front of the boss door."

How many people were still alive to see the summon sign there? Show of hands

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What's a summon sign look like

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Byzantine posted:

It's a glowy white thing that looks like the message sign that you can only see if you're human. The gargoyle one is near the fog door right before the boss.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

Lol absolutely no newbie is going to be human their first time there, especially not with that being the +15 pyro twink zone

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Byzantine posted:

Like a soapstone message but bright gold

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

Lol absolutely no newbie is going to be human their first time there, especially not with that being the +15 pyro twink zone

You can use humanity whenever you want. Like, you don't have to pop it as soon as you respawn. They fully heal you, too. If you want to summon, just use it in front of the fog gate.

EDIT: I forgot how Dark Souls worked.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Byzantine posted:

Also:

Dark Souls is fair.

You're going to just love Capra Demon

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is partially the completist/casual conflict in a nutshell, but it kinda annoys me that Saint's Row IV (and I think this happens in SR3 as well) has a handful of challenges that are the least pain in the rear end if you do them early (mostly ones that involve gang members or aliens), while most of everything else is attained by either regular play or unlocking things down the road.

It's not a super pain, but it is a bother to have to look at a guide because you know you'll have to do something to someone that'll not really be around if you start controlling most of the city.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MisterBibs posted:

This is partially the completist/casual conflict in a nutshell, but it kinda annoys me that Saint's Row IV (and I think this happens in SR3 as well) has a handful of challenges that are the least pain in the rear end if you do them early (mostly ones that involve gang members or aliens), while most of everything else is attained by either regular play or unlocking things down the road.

It's not a super pain, but it is a bother to have to look at a guide because you know you'll have to do something to someone that'll not really be around if you start controlling most of the city.

I hate that the 4th story mission in SR the Third is that awful Guardian Angel mission - such a pain in the rear end, and because it's technically an activity and not a mission there are no checkpoints. That sniping section was the worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

It it just me or is Saints Row 3 harder than Saints Row 2? It feels, at least early on, that the automatic weapons do much less damage than in 2, and there are a lot more enemies crammed into each space. Feels crowded, like a late game mission in Saints Row 2. Just done "Party Time" and Easy and Medium levels of Heli-Assault (with a mind to try the hard one later).
If you focus on upgrading a single weapon then it becomes super easy really early on. But it is kind of backwards in that the hardest part of the game is the start.

Nuebot posted:

But if everyone's killable you could mess up the story and have to reload your game! That's truly the worst fate of them all, no one liked having to hit the reload button in Morrowind because they couldn't stop murdering literally everyone!
Or they could just have the story be slightly adaptable and let you kill whoever you want. In most cases all they'd even need to do is generate a random NPC to replace the one you killed and carry on like nothing happened.

Guy Mann posted:

99% of games don't even let you attack NPCs, let alone kill important ones, and nobody ever seems to raise their hackles over them.
Most games don't have you find an enemy camp and then let you attack it and kill most of the soldiers there, leaving one guy who just chases you around attacking you and never dying until you just give up and leave.

MisterBibs posted:

A large number of those challenges are just tedious bullshit regardless of when you do them. The numbers are just way too high to be fun. There are also the ones that are just badly explained or badly designed, like the one where you have to kill a fat prostitute in this particular area and A. they hardly ever seem to spawn, B. their character model is not noticeably fat, C. it's hard to pick the prostitutes from other women and D. you need to have 0 notoriety, so if you kill the wrong person you have to waste more time resetting your notoriety before you try again. Or the one that tells you to steal a "muscle car" (which is not a term the game uses anywhere else) and there are a few specific cars that qualify but the game doesn't tell you which ones, and there something about the way the game picks which cars will appear in the streets that seems to make those cars weirdly hard to find.

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate that the 4th story mission in SR the Third is that awful Guardian Angel mission - such a pain in the rear end, and because it's technically an activity and not a mission there are no checkpoints. That sniping section was the worst.
It also kind of felt like a half-finished concept. Or like they put it in there just to justify the sniper rifle existing since the draw distance means that it's usually completely useless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Byzantine posted:

Also:

Dark Souls is fair.

A statue in an arena of statues came to life, after a cutscene shows that exact thing happening, you say.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Digirat posted:

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying that's why there's two of them. I don't really think they were intended to just gently caress with the player.

Now the gargoyles in 2, those fuckers were intended solely to gently caress with the player.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

If re-releasing a good game on modern systems was worthy of ridicule then people would never stop making fun of Nintendo.

I too remember when Nintendo released Ocarina of Time, then rereleased it on the Gamecube, then the Xbox, and PlayStation, and the Vita, and the PSP, over the course of years, with the only other entry in the Marioverse being a Mario MMO during that time. Yeah you're absolutely right

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I too remember when Nintendo released Ocarina of Time, then rereleased it on the Gamecube, then the Xbox, and PlayStation, and the Vita, and the PSP, over the course of years, with the only other entry in the Marioverse being a Mario MMO during that time. Yeah you're absolutely right

I do remember when they released OoT and then rereleased it on the Gamecube, and the Wii virtual console, and the Wii U virtual console, and the 3DS.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
While releasing other games in the Zelda series, yes. They weren't literally Nintendo's only entries in that franchise during that period. Rereleases are fine, just not when it's the only thing you're doing with a property.

At this point they remind me of when I would turn in old papers to new teachers or for other classes in high school for easy marks.

Edit to make clear that I'm a big Bethesda fan and love them and their games, warts and all. But I really want them to get off their rear end and make TES VI: Elsweyr or whatever

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Jan 24, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why bother making a new game when people keep buying Skyrim at near full price?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cook Serve Delicious 2:

Impatient customers start arriving WAAAY too quickly first thing in the morning and way too many of them at once. Like these people are literally waiting right outside your door and apparently starving.

Normally the way to manage this is by having side dishes available, which makes your customers more willing to wait while your prepare their entree. Except you still need to actually cook the side dishes, so that first wave of customers aren't affected by the 'willing to wait longer because they just had some side dishes' debuff. Every morning is basically a rush to prepare any holding station-only items (another problem with the early morning rush) and then rushing to prepare any side dishes, THEN you can actually tackle taking on main orders.

There really needs to be like small amount of time where you just spend time preparing the holding stations and any side dishes before any customers are allowed in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Didn't Morrowind give you a popup when you killed a plot critical NPC explaining that this world is now doomed and you should reload, but you're welcome to keep playing if you want.

Seems an elegant way to get around it. Wonder why they didn't keep doing that.

There was also a 'back path'* to complete the main plot if you'd screwed up the 'proper' sequence. Completely undocumented and no-one in game tells you what to do, but it works.

* mostly involving murdering people and taking their Plot Tokens from their cold dead hands.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

A statue in an arena of statues came to life, after a cutscene shows that exact thing happening, you say.

The game pulls think fast bullshit all the time, there's really no need to defend it. It's supposed to catch you off guard or kill you the first time through. Even if you think there's going to be more gargoyles you don't know how many or when or how they're going to enter the arena, and there's no reason to think they'd suddenly be able to breathe fire.

The Lone Badger posted:

There was also a 'back path'* to complete the main plot if you'd screwed up the 'proper' sequence. Completely undocumented and no-one in game tells you what to do, but it works.

* mostly involving murdering people and taking their Plot Tokens from their cold dead hands.

I think you can also just kill the nerds that have sunder and keening and buff your health a bunch so they don't kill you when you equip them without the fancy glove.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gitro posted:

The game pulls think fast bullshit all the time, there's really no need to defend it.

People are using telegraphed examples to support the idea Dark Souls kills you without warning. The dragon and gargoyles are signposted pretty clearly.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

People are using telegraphed examples to support the idea Dark Souls kills you without warning. The dragon and gargoyles are signposted pretty clearly.

Yeah, if you want "unfair, untelegraphed bullshit" you should really be complaining about how Smough and Ornstein is secretly Smough OR Ornstein because damage you deal to either one is entirely wasted if he's the one that survives. Especially if you wasted boss-killer non-returning resources keeping their health bars level on your first seemingly victorious run, only to drop Smough first.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you see statues, especially gargoyles, in a fantasy videogame and don't immediately think "these are going to come to life and attack me" then I don't know what to tell you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

If you see statues, especially gargoyles, in a fantasy videogame and don't immediately think "these are going to come to life and attack me" then I don't know what to tell you.

same but also statues in real life

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brother Entropy posted:

same but also statues in real life

If anyone played that stock ‘stone grates on stone’ sfx while I was near statues I would not be happy.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Not really? I don't know how well it's telegraphed for a new player since I was expecting a dragon bridge after playing DeS, but there's no way I can think of to predict where it comes from, exactly when it comes down or what you're supposed to do (book it to an alcove you can't see very well from where you have to start running). If you approach slowly and cautiously because you expect there to be a scary dragon you're doing the wrong thing, and while it may not kill you it's still going to gently caress you up.

The gargoyle hops down from a point off camera midway through the fight, after hitting a health threshold on the first boss. You get some warning, sure, the health bar pops up and it hops down at a fixed point in the arena you're probably not near, but it's one of many things that you'll probably die to the first time you encounter it because it's unexpected, somewhat unpredictable if you do expect it, and the huge cones of fire can really gently caress you over if you don't know you need to position yourself around them, which you don't because they only appear with the second garg. The game is punishing and consistent, but I don't know that I'd really call it fair.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

One of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much was because it was unfair to the player. Anyway, dying means very little in a Souls game so what does it matter if the game bonks you on the head a couple of times when you couldn't see it coming. It's not like you're going to lose progress.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Any game in which you can fail a boss fight and don't immediately restart the boss fight, and instead have to repeatedly do the bit where you have to fight/evade/do platforming poo poo in order to reach the boss is a bad game. It doesn't make the game more challenging; it makes it more tedious.

Single player games where you can't save exactly where you are and quit are almost always bad too (depending on genre, obviously it makes no sense if it's a score-attack type marathon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Any game in which you can fail a boss fight and don't immediately restart the boss fight, and instead have to repeatedly do the bit where you have to fight/evade/do platforming poo poo in order to reach the boss is a bad game. It doesn't make the game more challenging; it makes it more tedious.

You're wrong, at least where Soulsborne games are concerned. Not being able to restart the bosses gives your attempts more weight (as you know you've got a mild 'punishment' if you lose) and the walk of shame back gives you time to reflect on how you hosed up.