Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

BBJoey posted:

i hate babies and books so you're only strengthening my disdain for local councils

Another thing councils do is animal control and parking/road rules enforcement (outside cop stuff like speeding and drink driving I mean). So if you care about rabid dogs being controlled, people not having feral amounts of pets, parking cars across driveways or naturestrips or clearways on your commute you should also be a fan of council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ACAB, even the ones that stop people from parking across my driveway. you can not make me budge from this noble position.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Alright well as long as you don't vote liberal/national/onp/etc you're probably still a cool dude

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

G-Spot Run posted:

Probably, but that's likely due to the close relationship between property value, rates, the lack of knowledge we all seem to suffer and "I'm a ratepayer!!!" bs about every competing priority people are aware of.

That contributes, but the state of corruption, misappropriation of funds and just plain incompetence can't be understated. For obvious reasons I can't say too much, but the current shitshow that is Hobsons Bay City Council is a great example of how much of a viper's nest they can be, and for all its faults as a Council, "lack of funds" is definitely not one.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Or whoever is reading this that genuinely fuckin hates babies and dogs and books and road rules and having their bins emptied and hasn't already scarpered from society like Cartoon

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Whitlam posted:

That contributes, but the state of corruption, misappropriation of funds and just plain incompetence can't be understated. For obvious reasons I can't say too much, but the current shitshow that is Hobsons Bay City Council is a great example of how much of a viper's nest they can be, and for all its faults as a Council, "lack of funds" is definitely not one.

Yeah nah there's probably poo poo councils everywhere but there's ways to fix corruption without abolishing local governance. You might not have argued that but I got that vibe from the thread honestly I'm pretty busy and skim poo poo mostly so if I'm posting about something other than bowel function I'm not properly reading half of what I respond to

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
where is QM? i know he has thoughts on councils VS states.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G-Spot Run posted:

Or whoever is reading this that genuinely fuckin hates babies and dogs and books and road rules and having their bins emptied and hasn't already scarpered from society like Cartoon
You forgot public sanitation.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Yeah nah there's probably poo poo councils everywhere but there's ways to fix corruption without abolishing local governance. You might not have argued that but I got that vibe from the thread honestly I'm pretty busy and skim poo poo mostly so if I'm posting about something other than bowel function I'm not properly reading half of what I respond to

Nah that's fair and there are, but I still think they're inherently poo poo and their core functions could be handled just as efficiently, if not more so, by state governments, but it's really a matter of philosophy as much as anything else.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

Alright well as long as you don't vote liberal/national/onp/etc you're probably still a cool dude

there’s only one party that represents my interests and that’s the bullet train for australia party

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Local councils also manage every tree on public land (excluding state or national parks and forests). And countless public parks and sports grounds.

Public libraries are mostly run by councils.

A lot of community centres and accompanying support services and programs are council run. Most of this targets at the most disadvantaged or at risk members of society.

Councils do a lot of heavy lifting in social areas that state government has shown no interest in or actively pushed onto local councils.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Whitlam posted:

Nah that's fair and there are, but I still think they're inherently poo poo and their core functions could be handled just as efficiently, if not more so, by state governments, but it's really a matter of philosophy as much as anything else.

I can see you don’t have direct contact with state government departments

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wrongo.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I wanna reiterate - everyone should move the Glorious People’s Republic of Canberra and see how good life is when you merge council and state and abolish the Liberals.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

What happens when the Liberals get voted in?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/7tennis/status/956047645893636097

Anerican Christian tennis player at the Austtalian Open got outed as alt righter, he took it well.

https://twitter.com/TrollandGarros/status/956075039027355649

Lid fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 24, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kafka Syrup posted:

I wanna reiterate - everyone should move the Glorious People’s Republic of Canberra and see how good life is when you merge council and state and abolish the Liberals.

But we still have Zed.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qx6u_aOmSc

Speaking on local council corruption, I remember this vid being posted which talks about the area my parents live in. They increased the council rates over 40%, but the infrastructure backlog had somehow jumped up by more than $24 million.

Wollondilly covers a huge area, it's not far from Sydney (2nd airport was going to be built within it at Wilton until they finally decided to put it up at Badgerys Creek) and half roads are hosed with potholes. Half of some towns lack gutters or storm water drains etc.

Even last year, NRMA lists it as the council with the single biggest infrastructure backlog. https://www.mynrma.com.au/community/news-and-media-centre/infrastructure-backlog-data-reveals-holes-in-roads-funding

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/7tennis/status/956047645893636097

Anerican Christian tennis player at the Austtalian Open got outed as alt righter, he took it well.

https://twitter.com/TrollandGarros/status/956075039027355649

Is it weird that my favourite part of this is that he's a professional tennis player named Tennys? Because that's my favourite part. I mean apart from him being globally recognised as a lovely person.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
everyone check the GBS austhread

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Uh, no.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Butt why?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Lol why is Australia and Japan trying to revive the TPP?

To control China.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jesus Christ.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Luke_FoleyNSW/status/956015640028033029

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

If anyone is about to go to bed, don't do this, and definitely don't check post history

Like actually blowing Dane cook would be better

loving hell

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I am disappointed that the ALP will occur daily

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm glad QLD didn't gently caress their train and bus network like the cluster gently caress in Sydney

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He does go on to say he's disappointed the government couldn't manage to find an outcome before it came to a strike if you put tweet 1/3 in context.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

John Robertson must've stuck a horcrux inside him. What a waste of skin.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Whitlam posted:

Is it weird that my favourite part of this is that he's a professional tennis player named Tennys? Because that's my favourite part. I mean apart from him being globally recognised as a lovely person.

He is also from Tennessee.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Hobo Erotica posted:

If anyone is about to go to bed, don't do this, and definitely don't check post history

nah do it, its the feel good comedy story of the year

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

GoldStandardConure posted:

nah do it, its the feel good comedy story of the year

Yeah this. Glad that he's okay.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm glad he used a buttplug instead of a milk bottle or something.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BCR posted:

I'm glad he used a buttplug instead of a milk bottle or something.

baby steps...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

THE PARTY FOR THE WORKERS

Jesus Christ

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How hard is it to read the following tweets where he explicitly says the government is loving the rail workers? No one ever wants a strike. The workers don't because you don't get paid and it's frightening. The commuters don't. The government doesn't. This is such a pithy loving thing to bang on about it even has 1/3 in the tweet.

The guy is a fuckhead, but this isn't the evidence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/Luke_FoleyNSW/s...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

https://twitter.com/Luke_FoleyNSW/s...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

How hard is it to read the following tweets where he explicitly says the government is loving the rail workers? No one ever wants a strike. The workers don't because you don't get paid and it's frightening. The commuters don't. The government doesn't. This is such a pithy loving thing to bang on about it even has 1/3 in the tweet.

The guy is a fuckhead, but this isn't the evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

and in the third tweet he makes clear that he thinks the union should call a halt to the strike and reenter negotiations

another spectacular own goal

• Locked thread