Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dovetaile posted:

*AAA games can run great!

*has 8GB memory

(My Sims 4 game has 12 gigs.)

8gb memory as in RAM, it supposedly sports a 128gb SSD (which again is not that much I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Even if it runs at 120FPS at full settings, I don't want to play Overwatch against K&M players with that little dual pad thing and the awkwardly placed buttons. That's just a recipe to get steeped in testicular tea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have a tablet with the m3-7y30 and HD Graphice 615. It actually runs Crysis reasonably enough at 720p, Gamecube is pretty smooth with Dolphin and and is great for simpler games like Fractured But Whole. The CPU is surprisingly capable actually when boosting and I see they have a fan which would help with throttling, but with the IGPU running AAA games is a losing proposition especially going forward. Battery life is gonna be poo poo anyway running full tilt.

They have an older windows and android version with an Atom processor which is more useless for high-end gaming but overall probably makes more sense for running low intensity indy or emulator stuff.

E: of course there's also a likely replacement for the 7y30 on the horizon too: https://wccftech.com/intel-cannonlake-coffee-lake-desktop-mobility-cpus-leak/

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 16, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SubNat posted:

They claim DOTA can do ' “DOTA2” maximum settings at 70fps; '
While notebookcheck claims 50-60fps on low. 12-25 on ultra.

Dota 2 with thumbsticks sounds like something banned in the geneva convention.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

CollegeCop posted:

Tic Tacs? Altoids? Binaca? All too inconvenient.

Wear your breath spray on your wrist!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2113538014/aerist?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

It's discreet and fashionable!

You missed the best part.

quote:

And no need to worry about running out. After the campaign, our monthly refill subscription delivers straight to your front door.*

*Subscription information to follow campaign.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nah, GPD is an established manufacturer that's been selling these x86 Linux and Windows and ARM Android game devices for a long while. They're also not really interested in having their own store thing like the OUYA did, their Windows and Linux devices they just expect you to use Steam and GOG etc and their Android ones use the default Android store.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

GPD actually know what they’re doing. The GPD XD is essentially an Android clone of a 3DS, and a lot of people liked the original GPD Win. I considered buying one as a Steam In-Home Streaming handheld before acquiring gods perfect console, the Nintendo Switch.

They’ve likely tweaked ini files to death to get their benchmarks, but this won’t be Ouya bad.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Am I the only one who finds it obvious the gameplay sequence is a video playback and the guy just pretends to be playing? Is this product for super gullible people? (of course it is)

e: after closer look it seems the guy does control the character but the input lag is so terrible it gives the impression it's fake

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Jan 17, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It does look strange but they have the prototype out in the wild and you can watch other people play a bunch of different games including Doom 2016 and GTA 5. The question is whether it makes sense to pay that much to be barely able to play past game on minimum settings, but it does work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLX9FiryWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMNWzd4mTcI

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

mobby_6kl posted:

The question is whether it makes sense to pay that much to be barely able to play past game on minimum settings, but it does work.

It has the same kind of appeal as the Nintendo Switch [minus the Nintendo exclusives, but plus every game ever released on PC plus emulation]. The only real downside is that the price is pretty steep; I'd definitely be interested in getting one if it was about $300.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Great Rumbler posted:

It has the same kind of appeal as the Nintendo Switch [minus the Nintendo exclusives, but plus every game ever released on PC plus emulation]. The only real downside is that the price is pretty steep; I'd definitely be interested in getting one if it was about $300.

You can get a GPD Win 1 for about that much on ebay.

I actually bought one a few months ago, and I enjoy it. It's great for taking on short trips instead of a full laptop, and if you're just browsing the internet/watching youtube videos/doing light programming stuff it easily gets 8 hours of battery life. If you expect it to run the latest AAA multiplayer games you're going to be disappointed, but the kinds of things I like to play- FTL, old Westwood RTSes, Stardew Valley and the like- are all fine. It's neat to have a device with the flexibility of a laptop that I can fully use while standing up on public transit.

Only real downsides to the Win1 for my use cases are the keyboard (the off-center layout is very uncomfortable for thumb-typing; when I travel I carry a fold-up bluetooth keyboard to go with it) and the mini-HDMI port, which is effectively useless unless I carry around an adapter.

I'm not sure I want to drop another $650 on the Win2 for some incremental improvements, but I'll wait and see.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/808172947/hot-drone?ref=discovery

Let's mount heating elements to the rotors of a drone, and then use it like a big hair dryer to melt the snow and rescue victims of avalanches!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CollegeCop posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/808172947/hot-drone?ref=discovery

Let's mount heating elements to the rotors of a drone, and then use it like a big hair dryer to melt the snow and rescue victims of avalanches!

This would work if it were nuclear.

BRB, dusting off Project Pluto.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NASA has actually been progressing in their testing of miniaturized nuclear reactors for space colonization.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/kilopower

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Even if it runs at 120FPS at full settings, I don't want to play Overwatch against K&M players with that little dual pad thing and the awkwardly placed buttons. That's just a recipe to get steeped in testicular tea.

I love how they include a full button keyboard, because it runs unmodified PC games. But they didn't stop to realize that any game that uses keyboard controls isn't going to be playable with thumbs on a tiny keyboard.

Just imagine trying to WSAD. They may as well have just left it as a controller.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

This would work if it were nuclear.

BRB, dusting off Project Pluto.

Uh it uses cynetic energy to power a big phon. I don't see how this could fail.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I love how they include a full button keyboard, because it runs unmodified PC games. But they didn't stop to realize that any game that uses keyboard controls isn't going to be playable with thumbs on a tiny keyboard.

Just imagine trying to WSAD. They may as well have just left it as a controller.
I don't think the keyboard is intended for playing FPS games and stuff, mostly for text input and I guess you could use the shortcuts in RTS games or something. The joysticks work in most PC games nowadays too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah these sorts of devices have the keyboards cuz let's face it, you're not going to be able to set up all your games easily if you have to just rely on mouse/controller input and pecking at an onscreen keyboard.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shai-Hulud posted:

Uh it uses cynetic energy to power a big phon. I don't see how this could fail.

I bet they're Italian. We pronounce "kinetic" with a soft C and we call blow driers "phon"s

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure, but if they squeeze a cell phone in there it would be great for olds who have trouble with on screen keyboards for sending txt messages and writing shopping lists. Like a blackberry on steroids.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think the keyboard is intended for playing FPS games and stuff, mostly for text input and I guess you could use the shortcuts in RTS games or something. The joysticks work in most PC games nowadays too.

That was the point though, you're not gonna use it much.

I guess a whole full keyboard just for entering your steam password is nice but seems like a bad design.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I’m sure Microsoft LOVES them copying the XBox button layout and colour scheme.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That's not the button color scheme for any first party Xbox controller I've seen, and MS stole the layout from Dreamcast anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Microsoft wants anyone making gaming controller for Windows to use exactly the 360/Xbone button layout and color scheme though? It'd be like them getting mad that a keyboard put the windows key between Ctrl and Alt.

The yellow and green are actually reversed from where they should be, even though the letters are in the right place.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Manky posted:

That's not the button color scheme for any first party Xbox controller I've seen, and MS stole the layout from Dreamcast anyway

*looks at 360 controller*

Well gently caress me sideways. How’d I screw that up.

It’s because I’m an idiot. That’s how

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Avenging_Mikon posted:

*looks at 360 controller*

Well gently caress me sideways. How’d I screw that up.

It’s because I’m an idiot. That’s how

Nah, you're cool and smart. :byob1:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1831792426/ullothe-wine-purifier

This 80$ diva cup will filter bad molecules out of good wine molecules

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

This 80$ diva cup will filter bad molecules out of good wine molecules

I had one of those but the demon went on strike.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fun thing is the 360 controller had a mini-keyboard you could plug into the headset jack. (and it had another jack down the bottom for the actual headset). I actually used it a lot when I did play it, it's a good weight.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Zaphod42 posted:

That was the point though, you're not gonna use it much.

I guess a whole full keyboard just for entering your steam password is nice but seems like a bad design.

It is a full Win10 computer. So the keyboard comes in handy for non-game related computer stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CollegeCop posted:

It is a full Win10 computer. So the keyboard comes in handy for non-game related computer stuff.

How much computering would you rather do on that thing as opposed to a smartphone? Or a full desktop?

I don't see it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fun thing is the 360 controller had a mini-keyboard you could plug into the headset jack. (and it had another jack down the bottom for the actual headset). I actually used it a lot when I did play it, it's a good weight.
I loved that thing.
Got the most use out of it in GTA Online where you could send ingame text messages to people. Bust out a proper sentence to someone, then slaughter them while they clumsily responding with the on-screen keyboard.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Bring back these things damnit:

I guess now there's a full-sized keyboard attachment that goes in the middle of a switch controller, but it looks real flimsy and hard to hold.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

How much computering would you rather do on that thing as opposed to a smartphone? Or a full desktop?

I don't see it.

I don't really understand the complaint. It is a full computer primarily meant for games. That still means a keyboard will help a ton for the things that aren't directly in a game. And if you've already got the thing out to play Overwatch or whatever, you'd probably just open a browser on it to do some quick browsing rather than heading over to the nearest computer or pulling out a phone.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol i just saw this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0Du72uTpI
a kickstarter delivered exactly what promised (they sold the company for .5m just before shipping ahaha)

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Truga posted:

lol i just saw this
a kickstarter delivered exactly what promised (they sold the company for .5m just before shipping ahaha)

I'm completely enamored with how it's so bad at keeping speed it's rendered useless, while the decades-old toy version works fine.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Truga posted:

lol i just saw this

Is that half a million? Because that sounds both stupidly low for selling a company and stupidly high to drop on this company

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Korgan posted:

Is that half a million? Because that sounds both stupidly low for selling a company and stupidly high to drop on this company

It was a Shark Tank deal for 100% of the company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTkL_hqTww

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Truga posted:

lol i just saw this

Hahahaha. God drat. That sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

It was a Shark Tank deal for 100% of the company.

And a 2-year employment contract and a $5 per-unit royalty .

The Kickstarter itself garnered $350,000. We've made fun of this thing on the Kickstarter failures thread but jesus that's the opposite of a failure, this guy made a lousy toy and made mad bank off of it, more power to him.