Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Here is a list of the stones I found at pbworks. Feel free to correct me if I got something wrong/debatable:

1 (SF) - Pearl
2 (Chaleston) - Diamond
3 (Roanoke) - Garnet
4 (Cleveland) - Aquamarine
5 (Chicago) - Emerald
6 (St. Augustine) - Sapphire
7 (New Orleans) - Turquoise
8 (Houston) - Ruby
9 (Montreal) - Opal
10 (Milwaukee) - Amethyst
11 (Boston) - Peridot
12 (New York) - Topaz

Now we can figure out how much each was worth in 1981, rank them, and then work on the easiest/cheapest one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pokemon garnet sucked

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Modern values I found by roughshod googling.

1 (SF) - Pearl $200-$500
2 (Chaleston) - Diamond $1,000-$20,000/kt
3 (Roanoke) - Garnet $500-$2000/kt
4 (Cleveland) - Aquamarine $100-$300/kt
5 (Chicago) - Emerald $500-$1100/kt
6 (St. Augustine) - Sapphire $1000-$2000/kt
7 (New Orleans) - Turquoise <$500 /kt
8 (Houston) - Ruby $300-$3000/kt
9 (Montreal) - Opal - Seems super hard to get even a wide range estimate.
10 (Milwaukee) - Amethyst Like $50/kt.
11 (Boston) - Peridot $50-$400/kt
12 (New York) - Topaz $200-$1500/kt

Based on this guide, which admittedly does not take into account how large the actual Secret stone is, Tiers from least to most difficult would be:

Tier Easiest
10 Milwaukee

Tier Easy
1 SF
4 Cleveland
7 New Orleans
11 Boston

Tier Medium
5 Chicago
12 New York

Tier Hard
3 Roanoke
6 St Augustine
8 Houston

Tier Hardest
2 Charleston

Tier ???
9 Montreal

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, someone is spamming the Q4T secret board with 10 new threads claiming they solved each puzzle. Then, of course, they get super hostile about anyone who doubts them. Oh, and they won't reveal any of their final solves.

Pretty entertaining:
http://quest4treasure.co.uk/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=32

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Here's a random fact for you.
When cleveland was solved they were given the st Aug sapphire instead of the aquamarine.

Preiss screwed up, or didn't care enough to pay attention.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Oh man... that Q4T nonsense is a "treat". This Josh Cornell character likes to use all caps a lot. Interesting how it appears he's solved several of the puzzles that the entirety of individuals on the internet communicating with one another have not been able to do in years. I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions much here by saying that these new solves are likely a farce. The aggression doesn't help Josh Cornell's case at all.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

Oh man... that Q4T nonsense is a "treat". This Josh Cornell character likes to use all caps a lot. Interesting how it appears he's solved several of the puzzles that the entirety of individuals on the internet communicating with one another have not been able to do in years. I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions much here by saying that these new solves are likely a farce. The aggression doesn't help Josh Cornell's case at all.

He's actually found some cool stuff: A door that matches the SF picture better than any I've seen (still not a great match though), a fun new solve with different elements.

If he wasn't a standoffish, condescending weirdo he'd be getting some fans right now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You are all mentally ill.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Drunk Nerds posted:

He's actually found some cool stuff: A door that matches the SF picture better than any I've seen (still not a great match though), a fun new solve with different elements.

If he wasn't a standoffish, condescending weirdo he'd be getting some fans right now.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt here... but it's hard to even go through his puzzles when he sports an attitude of that sort. He loses credibility instantly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sucrose posted:

Same. Why is this thread still going?

And the casks were ceramic, weren't they? Being buried in prominent/landscaped places, most of them were probably destroyed decades ago.

But seeing as this has been at least a 5 year obsession for some posters, my main question is why in all this time no company jumped on the opportunity to start a new treasure hunt, with similar visual clues, etc.

I’ve hidden a precious gem in my anus. I have sent you a visual clue via PM.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Let’s be real: does this guy come off as if he’s followed the thread here and is trying to high-effort antagonize the long-time folks?

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Let’s be real: does this guy come off as if he’s followed the thread here and is trying to high-effort antagonize the long-time folks?

He seems more like a guy who watched that tv episode, then read the wiki, and now he knows everything. He would have more interesting solves if he had come from here.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Cobalt60 posted:

And with that post, the thread was great once again.

I know it's gauche to ask a magician to reveal his secrets, but I really would love to know, like, "what's the deal with Urban Smurf."

He responded. He said he has a lot going on in his life right now, but would love to do an episode once things settle down a bit. I told him he could have free reign to pick a date and a topic.
And I tried to make it clear that he would be treated with respect. I know some people think his ideas are nuts... but I like the way he thinks.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

On the front page of GBS again, woohoo!!! Sadly I lack the time to read the last 84 posts, so would anyone tell me if any new treasure has been found?

Also it'd be pretty funny if some joker proposed a solution, then secretly planted "treasure" there themselves and later dug it up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BigBadSteve posted:

Very impressive, all the clues seem to just slide nicely into place, unlike solutions I've seen here for some of the other puzzles.

There was a solution worked out in this thread several years ago for the Charleston cask that fits perfectly with every detail of the puzzle and would give a very precise dig location by triangulating between the arms of specific statues in White Point Gardens park at the tip of the Charleston peninsula.

The problem is, like a lot of other solutions, digging there without a permit would be a federal crime, and there's no way to get a permit unless you're an archaeologist doing an approved dig. Most of the remaining casks seem to fit that format -- there's some pretty decent theories out there, but they point to spots that are inaccessible for [reasons] or that have been extensively re-dug and re-landscaped in the intervening decades.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is, like a lot of other solutions, digging there without a permit would be a federal crime, and there's no way to get a permit unless you're an archaeologist doing an approved dig.

OK so we need an archaeologist?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Herv posted:

OK so we need an archaeologist?
Down that path lies broken wrists, don't bother.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing about that is if you have the right location, digging will be easy. Preiss wouldn't have backfilled the hole with rocks which would have damaged his plexiglass box and even after almost 35 years the soil wouldn't be much more compacted.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrashCat posted:

Down that path lies broken wrists, don't bother.

Seriously though, what does an archaeologist make? Like 40k a year?

I'm putting up a $50 gift card, and two large pizzas.

Also, Burnstyle please get JoshCornell on the podcast! :getin:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

The only people who are qualified to find this treasure is the curse of oak island guys

The plot synopses for this show are hilarious

quote:

Drilling below bedrock, the team discovers a void in the rock. A hose on the drill detaches resulting in a worker falling backward and suffering a minor injury to his wrist. Drilling is halted for over a week.

quote:

Part of a metal spoon and round rocks are discovered under tree stumps. Based on the rocks and the spoon pieces, Marty Lagina concludes that "something must have happened here".

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Herv posted:

Seriously though, what does an archaeologist make? Like 40k a year?

I'm putting up a $50 gift card, and two large pizzas.

I would hope universities are paying a little better than that, but anyway it's the destiny of anyone who actually goes through all the hoops in this thread to give us blue balls in the end. I'm not sure I can take another year of "i got the radar and a professor at the university who are interested and they want to do a piece for the news too and ouch my wrist"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

BattleHamster posted:

The plot synopses for this show are hilarious

You missed a good one

quote:

A theory is presented that Sir Francis Drake is buried on Oak Island in a vault with gold treasure. It is suggested that the lack of any records documenting Drake travelling to Canada is proof that he must have travelled to Canada

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For Oak Island, why haven't they figured it out yet? Seems like if there was something to be found, it would have been by now.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

BigBadSteve posted:

Also it'd be pretty funny if some joker proposed a solution, then secretly planted "treasure" there themselves and later dug it up.

That's brilliant; I can tell you that the NY sculptress JoEllen Trilling who made the casques had a spare kicking around somewhere, and maybe she'd be prepared to sell it. Smash it up, rub some dirt into it, and that should withstand any scrutiny.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Herv posted:

Seconded, but I would advise getting him as a phone interview.
It's you, isn't it Herv? You damned troll

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

For Oak Island, why haven't they figured it out yet? Seems like if there was something to be found, it would have been by now.

We have an Oak Island thread over in TV:IV
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838995

Supposedly the original treasure hunters found the pit and booby traps filled it with seawater before they could get the gold. Then for 100+ years people dug the place up before some guy in the 1960s tore up the entire island with heavy equipment digging gigantic pits everywhere before he ran out of money and bulldozed everything back flat. This supposedly lost all of the vital landmarks and original locations of everything. They say nobody has ever found the treasure because their theory is that some organization like the Knights Templar conducted excavations hundreds of feet deep and after the destruction by treasure hunters on the surface there would be no way to know where to actually dig anymore.

I will give the guys credit, they actually seem to be trying to find treasure. Since the 1960s it was basically one guy spending decades drilling a shaft in a random place down 200 feet deep and finding a cavern and swearing he located a bunch of man-made objects inside of it. In the past few years they've upgraded from drilling a few small holes in random places, to drilling shafts wide enough for divers to go down in random places, to drilling a targeted grid of smaller holes over the entire area to now targeting the giant diver shafts.

Whether anything was there in the first place is another matter. So far they just keep hitting caverns and the only thing interesting that has happened in the past 5 seasons is recently when they started pulling up things like human bones, pottery, book binding and parchment from depths deeper than anyone has supposedly ever dug there.

I wouldn't recommend watching the show because 95% of every episode is some random person coming on and talking about some random theory and then some people go to a museum to listen to a history lesson about some rando rear end in a top hat who totally could have done (____________.) They pay very little attention to the actual excavations (i assume because they never find anything) and seem to ignore some things they find.

My biggest issue was "The Shiny Gold Thing" where they located an "obviously man made golden object" in the wall of a new cavern two years ago with a lovely camera. The next year they dug a huge shaft down to it and the diver supposedly located it but couldn't retrieve it. So they never bothered diving or mentioning it again. This played out over like 30+ episodes too so it's a huge waste of time and they are either super incompetent or they know nothing was there because as presented the proof for all of their theories is supposedly just sitting there and they don't seem to care about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's almost certainly nothing to actually find on Oak Island and the "Money Pit" is just a natural sinkhole. Any artifacts they pull up from that hole are just things left behind by the other hundred or so groups who hosed around with the drat pit.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm familiar with the basics on oak island. I'm just surprised they are still going. It's like no one ever said "if we can't get down there, how the hell did XXX group/person with a poo poo load of $$$ get down there and hide it?"

The whole thing is dumb.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
:siren: Attention all of GBS, lovers of The Secret and shitposters alike :siren:

So, apparently someone on Q4T looked it up, and JoshCornell, who has been spamming vitriol all over the boards (including an awesome thread where he asks if he can stay on someone's couch while searching for the N.O. cask, then curses out everyone who responds)... he's got a rap album.

I couldn't find it yet, but I did find this under "Josh Cornell":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OWdPBNiRw

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thanks for your service o7
:wtc:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Drunk Nerds posted:

:siren: Attention all of GBS, lovers of The Secret and shitposters alike :siren:

So, apparently someone on Q4T looked it up, and JoshCornell, who has been spamming vitriol all over the boards (including an awesome thread where he asks if he can stay on someone's couch while searching for the N.O. cask, then curses out everyone who responds)... he's got a rap album.

I couldn't find it yet, but I did find this under "Josh Cornell":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OWdPBNiRw

please explain this post before i punish you severely

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

please explain this post before i punish you severely

On the main site for this 35-year-old treasure hunt (Q4T), someone has been displaying an entertainingly abusive brand of mental illness. For instance, they asked if they could stay on someone's couch while searching for the new orleans thread, then responded to every query about why he thought that appropriate with a slew of cursing. He also keeps derailing any conversation about the search with either severe derision or "nope, already found this one, stop wasting your time," but refuses to share any solutions. He started ~15 new threads in a small forum and utterly garbaged up the boards.

People assumed he was trolling, and probably from this SA thread, so several people googled his username and found that, no, he actually has a youtube account under an exact same username, and is actually proof of Poe's law. So I linked the video here for closure to this "is he a troll from SA or isn't he, saga?" and because, wow, this guy is being a jerk so let's mock him from a distance.

Even if you don't follow this treasure hunt, you should hop on over to The Secret on Q4T and check it out, it's really something.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 26, 2018

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
... whoever "Goldengate" is on Q4T.... I'm getting some serious joy out of reading his JoshCornell take-downs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ok thats a good enough explanation for me not to do anything

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcTm93YztSg

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Further proof that the treasure is actually a powerful curse that drives all who seek it mad

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

People on a treasure hunting forum talk about this thread that goes nowhere? That’s the weirdest part of all that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snowy posted:

People on a treasure hunting forum talk about this thread that goes nowhere? That’s the weirdest part of all that.

It probably has more treasure than the ground at this point, and in only slightly worse condition

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Snowy posted:

They're never gonna find anything so they might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Maybe the question now should be which brand of mental illness will actualize a real find?

I hope to address that and other questions in the podcast.