Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what part of the series is this from? i remember jungle fighting, desert fighting and an exploding mountain, but i really don't recall urban combat.

Near the end. Episode 10 of 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

that fight is really loving bad from a perspective of continuity, pacing, and actual choreography and pretty much only gets as much praise as it does because its a fan favorite machine clowning all over the protagonists for ten minutes. Gundam in general tends to have very poor fight scenes since they basically are treated solely as a way to provide basic visual interest while the characters yell at each other about ideals in various states of rabidity and very few of the series had either the budget or care to actually integrate the action into the storytelling rather than just showing cool poo poo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What mecha fight do you like?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

that fight is really loving bad from a perspective of continuity, pacing, and actual choreography and pretty much only gets as much praise as it does because its a fan favorite machine clowning all over the protagonists for ten minutes. Gundam in general tends to have very poor fight scenes since they basically are treated solely as a way to provide basic visual interest while the characters yell at each other about ideals in various states of rabidity and very few of the series had either the budget or care to actually integrate the action into the storytelling rather than just showing cool poo poo.

This isn't an issue with Gundam itself but rather with Japanese animation as a whole, action scenes interspersed with entire discussions about this or that... It's one of many reasons why I don't bother with it anymore.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fangz posted:

Yo, it's a slow day at work, so if people could just post cool Mecha fights, that would help a lot.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WfMJAMXaXU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toshimo posted:

Yo, it's a slow day at work, so if people could just post cool Mecha fights, that would help a lot.

I got you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX2DHD2zXI

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That's basically Gipsy Danger v Otachi.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThE5RGnkVSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg3mSqyz30s

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fangz posted:

The entire Asuka sequence in End of Evangelion that starts with her decimating an entire army by herself and then taking on a dozen other Eva units at once it's probably one of, if not the, greatest mecha fights in the history of anime and still makes modern attempts look oafish and lazy now. Id link it, but the only version I can find on YouTube is interpolated to 60FPS, destroying a lot of the little subtleties that make the sequence such a triumph, and you should really just watch EoE anyway because it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

Even within Gundam though the gouf custom fight isn't especially standout. I'd argue that the Kampfer raid in 0080 (which the gouf scene is very clearly trying to bite at) does the same thing much better, portraying a spiky blue terror weapon running amok in a city and decimating any oppositon much more dramatically in a third of the screen time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hate framerate interpolation so much.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, I think that's the same one I posted upthread, I might upload a clean version considering all I could find lady time were AMV's

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

The entire Asuka sequence in End of Evangelion that starts with her decimating an entire army by herself and then taking on a dozen other Eva units at once it's probably one of, if not the, greatest mecha fights in the history of anime and still makes modern attempts look oafish and lazy now. Id link it, but the only version I can find on YouTube is interpolated to 60FPS, destroying a lot of the little subtleties that make the sequence such a triumph, and you should really just watch EoE anyway because it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

Even within Gundam though the gouf custom fight isn't especially standout. I'd argue that the Kampfer raid in 0080 (which the gouf scene is very clearly trying to bite at) does the same thing much better, portraying a spiky blue terror weapon running amok in a city and decimating any oppositon much more dramatically in a third of the screen time.

Aside from the weight put into some of the movement and trees flying around to remind the viewer of scale. That fight has a lot of drawbacks.

As for the Gouf compared to the Kampfer fight, lol if you think one was trying to emulate the other, or that Kampfer wasn't shooting trucks and still cut outs of trucks, GM variant, and a guncannon. But hey to each their own I guess. So long as we can agree this new Pacific rim is looking pretty bland.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Thanks for reminding me how much I love BIG O. What a cool, weird, evocative show that was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Good fight scenes are hard, especially with mecha when they can assume the audience won't care as long as you have enough shiny eye-candy, transformation sequences and explosions. Even the Bayformers movies occasionally manage to do some pretty loving crazy things with the fight scenes, despite the visual style and shakeycam usually rendering all that effort into incomprehensible mush. Of course, bad anime fight scenes have an entire set of cliches associated with them for unfortunately often well-earned reasons.

A lot of the time said fight scenes are basically allegories. They can work if they're GOOD allegories.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I like the Asuka fight too. Though mainly what I like in a big robot fight is stuff that show the scale of what is going on. Like interactions with objects, the crew moving around and doing stuff inside the cockpit, things like that. I like that the first Gundam video has some of that, the Kampfer fight seems more hands off.

I think the best moment of that in PacRim is picking up the ship to use as a sword.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rough Lobster posted:

Thanks for reminding me how much I love BIG O. What a cool, weird, evocative show that was.

Anime Batman was pretty cool to watch as a kid.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The first flick was the movie 15 year old me had been wanting forever. Can't wait for this next one. Though, I cringe that they're using the CGI robot squid things. People usually only use those when they run out of ideas.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That clip of Raideen reminds me that I used to have the entire run of the Marvel Shogun Warriors comic. I wish I still did.

I remember one of the Shogun Warrior toys I had in the 70s, from the line that were like two and a half feet tall, launched missiles from his fingertips. Those things were seriously spring-loaded, you really COULD shoot your eye out, kid.

We used to try to shoot the plastic missiles into each others mouth from across the room. I think that one’s name was Mazinga

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Is it just me or does the teaser and the trailers make it seem like earth has an era of peace so it repurposed and built up a bunch of new jeagers for robot jox and then the kaiju manage to reopen the gate so the only defense we have is the WWE of giant robots. Is that the plot?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That does seem like a pretty likely interpretation, though with how deceptive and unreliable trailers often are I wouldn't be entirely sure. But it sounds like a solid foundation for a plot; robot WWE was probably used to keep the Jeager program active with the absence of the Kaiju as a pressing threat, which means when they start coming back at they're at least not entirely lacking in countermeasures, but have a new generation of pilots untested in real combat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fangz posted:

This anime-as-gently caress highlight reel from the Zone of the Enders games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvnR-cXMbMw

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAhwgjMvnM

:shrug:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I wish I could get more excited over that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
We're like one sequel away from it just being a Transformers money machine.

But if it can fund GdT's future projects, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Who do you think the traitor is? Charlie Day?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Panfilo posted:

100%

This movie looks dumb and schlocky and I love everything about it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordiceius posted:

100%

This movie looks dumb and schlocky and I love everything about it.

Really? I'm betting its going to be that Chinese business lady.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My assumption is Charlie Day. He’s drifted with the Kaiju. So they could easily spin it that his mind was partially infected with Kaiju thought and the will of their creators. And now he is their pawn in this world.

Also - he’s wearing all black and is he wearing eyeliner?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I want the reason for his treachery to be something dumb and immature like :qq: "I just missed seeing Jagers fight Kaiju!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Panfilo posted:

It was Del Toro's plan all along. I dig that story though. It's better than "UH I UNNO THEY CAME BACK".

But it needs the loving theme song goddamnt!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

:shrug:

I guess it's cool they're using the Jaeger-Kaiju hybrids in some fashion?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That looks kickass, honestly. The weird poo poo like the hacked together Jeager, the Kaiju/Jeager hybrids, all seems like a fun twist on what the first one introduced.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gundam also has the problem that a lot of its fight scenes take place in space against an empty starfield, so there's no points of reference. It's just things flying around until something explodes.

Rough Lobster posted:

If only it had had an ending, instead of just stopping. Up until then it was great.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Good fight scenes are hard

This is very true and worth remembering. Choreographing a scene in such a way that it tells its own clear story that is in keeping with the rest of the film is something that only a small number of directors really understand. When you factor in the massive logistical chain it takes to create a single shot in a movie like Pacific Rim, it's hardly surprising that most are so underwhelming.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean the trailer looks fine, in an "this will be entertaining" way. But the weight the Jeagers had in the first movie seems gone.
For the flawed product the first one was, it nailed the weight of the mechs.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That Jaeger jumping like half a mile into the air was...something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
Perhaps several of the action scenes in the film were sped up in the trailer, and they'll be slower and weightier in the film? :ohdear:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sure. It's not impossible. A few scenes in this trailer already improved quite a bit on the "man-in-suit" Jaegar look by demonstrating more moving parts and an attempt to represent mass that wasn't made in the first one.

Eh, but it still has a long way to go.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ufarn posted:

We're like one sequel away from it just being a Transformers money machine.

We're already there. Playing Tupac in front of big robots and monsters fighting each other (in both trailers! :barf:) is something Michael Bay would do.

ufarn posted:

But if it can fund GdT's future projects, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world.

The Shape of Water just got 13 AA noms. I'm sure he's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
How large is that ice crevasse the two jaegers are falling into? :psyduck:

BexGu posted:

Really? I'm betting its going to be that Chinese business lady.

You mean Mako Mori, the protagonist of the first movie?

Polaron fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 26, 2018

• Locked thread