Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Space Fish posted:

How have Image's recent (past few years) "Book One" type hardcovers been? Sturdy build, easy to see center of art? Deadly Class, WicDiv, Saga, Outcast, what have you.

They're pretty good in my opinion. Well-bound, sturdy, decent page quality, etc. I'd say about a quarter of an inch of the center art is hidden by the binding in a 500 page book, which is about as good as you can expect.

e: Speaking of Image Book Ones, look what came in the mail today!

:woop:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the New Teen Titans omnibuses have been getting new printings and are listed as 'New Edition' on amazon. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Teen-Titans-Vol-Omnibus/dp/1401277624/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XNTX3NWJWS81JA7K6Z5X

On a related note it looks like volume 3 will collect different material. The original collected the following:

TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #45- 61 and 66-67, NEW TEEN TITANS #38, NEW TEEN TITANS #1-6 and SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #3.

Meanwhile The new edition of volume 3 appears to collect the following:

TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #42-58, NEW TEEN TITANS #1-9.

A few questions:
-Do these omnibuses actually collect different material or is the amazon listing mistaken?
-How is the binding on these editions? Is it worth rebuying if I have the old editions?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

If you have an Ollie's in your neck of the woods they have loaded up on DC trades for super cheap prices.

A friend of mine in West Virginia snagged a dozen different Showcase editions for $3 a pop.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you for the warning! I went to the new-ish Ollie's near my house this afternoon. It was a disappointment, and I left without getting anything. The sale started on the 10th, and it looked pretty picked over. (I live in an area full of comic shops and collectors.)

Everything was very random -- random New 52-era hardcovers (like Johns' Justice League Vol. 4, Manapul's Detective Comics Vol. 6, etc.), random black and white Showcase TPBs (all unpopular stuff like Our Men At War, Jonah Hex, Challengers of the Unknown, Elongated Man), random occasionally-interesting TPBs (Vol. 2 of Warren Ellis' late '90s Stormwatch that led into The Authority, Gail Simone's Secret Six Vol. 3, Alan Moore's Terra Obscura), random other collections (Superman in the '70s, Batman in the '70s, a Batman hardcover collection by Neal Adams).

I even briefly considered picking up some things for trade fodder or flipping on Amazon Marketplace, but there wasn't much that most collectors or even casual readers would want. Plus, there was only one really long checkout line open, so I didn't even wait around to buy the few remotely interesting random books. I wouldn't risk driving very far to seek out an Ollie's, based on what I encountered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When Ollie's gets the good poo poo you have to be there day one. This is a silly example but they got some RealTree branded base layer stuff recently and sold them for $7 a piece and these things are the best winter clothing I have ever had. And they retailed for like $30 originally. If you know when their trucks hit you can score crazy good stuff for pennies.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When Ollie's gets the good poo poo you have to be there day one. This is a silly example but they got some RealTree branded base layer stuff recently and sold them for $7 a piece and these things are the best winter clothing I have ever had. And they retailed for like $30 originally. If you know when their trucks hit you can score crazy good stuff for pennies.

The day I was in the hospital last summer was the day they got in Titans Return Fortress Maximus for $40. I called and checked every day once I got discharged, and they never got any more in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have never heard of them getting a second shipment of the same product in twice so that isn't shocking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I have never heard of them getting a second shipment of the same product in twice so that isn't shocking.

Not surprising since you can only get a second shipment once. ;)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Am I supposed to read the Brightest Day Omnibus after the Green Lantern By Geoff Johns Volume 2?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

Am I supposed to read the Brightest Day Omnibus after the Green Lantern By Geoff Johns Volume 2?

Is that where Blackest Night is? If so then yes. BN leads right into BD.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 15, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wonder if you could skip the omnibus and just get by on the GL:BD trade that only has the GL issues during the event.
Brightest Day (the series) is a whole load of mediocre Hawkman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawk and Dove, and Deadman stuff you probably wouldn't care about. Not sure how much if any GL lore you'd miss by skipping it. It's been a while.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 15, 2018

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder if you could skip the omnibus and just get by on the GL:BD trade that only has the GL issues during the event.
Brightest Day (the series) is a whole load of mediocre Hawkman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawk and Dove, and Deadman stuff you probably wouldn't care about. Not sure how much if any GL lore you'd miss by skipping it. It's been a while.

Hey, that Deadman stuff was good. :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I got the Fourth World Omnibus! Gotham Central is next!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Getting the Vision HC with slight damage to one corner of the dustjacket for 40 AUD was a loving steal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been thinking about those Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes HCs, but I have the Great Darkness Saga and The Curse (which were both deluxe hardcovers first) in TPB format, so I'm wondering if the HCs are likely to get released in paperback in the future. What's the standard MO from DC on this?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I got the Fourth World Omnibus!

I got that for Christmas, and good grief is it awesomely unwieldy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I finished the Planetary Omnibus a while ago and wanted to read the Authority. Is the Absolute the best way to read it? Or should I be picking something else? It looks like Ellis and Millar wrote for the series?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I finished the Planetary Omnibus a while ago and wanted to read the Authority. Is the Absolute the best way to read it? Or should I be picking something else? It looks like Ellis and Millar wrote for the series?

I know there's an Ellis collection with Authority #1-12, and at least one Millar collection that follows (although his run was interrupted, and Tom Peyer wrote a bad short run in the middle of it that may not be in that collection. But I also hated Millar's run.)

Ellis also wrote Stormwatch directly leading into and setting up The Authority, and there are two larger TPBs (or five older, out of print volumes you might be able to find for cheaper) collecting that material. In some ways, it's better than The Authority, which I think is dated now and may seem disappointing after the greatness of Planetary.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I liked Ellis's run on Authority, but it felt like it was basically just a prologue adventure to something bigger and better...and then it gets handed off to Mark Millar.

I thought Stormwatch was readable but unmemorable other than THAT issue and Change or Die.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked Ellis's run on Authority, but it felt like it was basically just a prologue adventure to something bigger and better...and then it gets handed off to Mark Millar.

Ellis ends his run killing God. What's bigger than that?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

I think that's what he meant, that Millar was a step backwards (and down). Instead you got an evil version of the Doctor who time-traveled during a fight to molest the Authority members when they were kids, so they would automatically flash back to their trauma when he returned to the present time.

And evil Captain America raping Apollo, followed by Midnighter raping and killing evil Captain America with an actual jackhammer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay. I treat Ellis' run as a complete story and don't really feel like it was leading to anything more as it ended on "the most". It'd be a fool's game for Millar to try and top it (so he went for shock).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Uthor posted:

I guess that's fair, but I guess I just wanted more adventures with that crew besides the two we got before Millar Millar'd it up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just ordered the Nick Shield omnibus, which will be the first Marvel omnibus I own. Not sure how easy it is to read a thousand page book, but it has Steranko’s four page spread as a foldout, and that makes it all worth it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I guess that's fair, but I guess I just wanted more adventures with that crew besides the two we got before Millar Millar'd it up.

Have you picked up the new Wild Storm? It's not just Authority, but it's Ellis doing a new telling of the early days of the Wildstorm universe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Global Frequency Deluxe Edition
https://mobile.twitter.com/warrenellis/status/954496812626464768

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ComicCrusaders/status/954420826492866561 :swoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wow, I wonder why Allred took that to IDW, Madman's been a Dark Horse resident for decades.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Uthor posted:

Have you picked up the new Wild Storm? It's not just Authority, but it's Ellis doing a new telling of the early days of the Wildstorm universe.

I kinda hesitate on Ellis series nowadays since he never seems to really finish them. I still mourn Fell and Desolation Jones.

Also is The Wild Storm set in the DC Universe now or did they disregard all that stuff?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

is The Wild Storm set in the DC Universe now or did they disregard all that stuff?

The DCU still has elements of Wildstorm like Midnighter and Apollo (The Steve Orlando series' are great)

But Ellis' Wild Storm is set in it's own alternate DC Universe. The integration is mostly gags and references, ie:

But in the Michael Cray spin-off, I think he's hunting down their own versions of Justice League members.

And there haven't been any significant delays in ten issues of the main series :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I kinda hesitate on Ellis series nowadays since he never seems to really finish them.

He's been on schedule of late. At least his corporate owned books. The only one that's been late was Karnak, but something happened to the original artist and they had to wait for a replacement. Not really Ellis' fault.

Of course, his brain could try to kill him at any time, so there's that concern.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
woops wrong thread

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wow, I wonder why Allred took that to IDW, Madman's been a Dark Horse resident for decades.

Not in a long time. Allred made some comment a few years ago about how he wasn't treated great by Dark Horse, so he brought everything to Image in more recent years. He put out three thick Madman TPBs through Image that reprinted the original Oddity Odyssey B&W miniseries (#1-3), Madman Adventures (#1-3), and Madman Comics (#1-20, originally published by Dark Horse). Image also published a Madman and the Atomics TPB reprinting Atomics #1-15, and then an entire Madman Atomic Comics series that was collected in three TPBs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just looked at my shelf and saw multiple Madman books with AAAPop and Image brandings in them. Don't know where my head was on that.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I just looked at my shelf and saw multiple Madman books with AAAPop and Image brandings in them. Don't know where my head was on that.

How DOES your shelf look like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a goddamned mess. Nothing is in order anymore. I've been slowly purging stuff i have no need for but i own so many friggin books its a very slow process.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JordanKai posted:

Fellas, it is with heavy heart that I must announce that the Dark Horse graphic designers are at it again.

Not a single thing is in the same place (except for the Dark Horse logo, which is a different one). They didn't even stick to the same principle of listing authors. :rant:

The Saga Continues...

:negative:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

JordanKai posted:

The Saga Continues...

:negative:

As far as a series of releases over 7~ years goes, I’ve seen far worse. I think Hell on Earth is the longest I’ve trade-waited for something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It's a goddamned mess. Nothing is in order anymore. I've been slowly purging stuff i have no need for but i own so many friggin books its a very slow process.

My shelves are a complete mess, but it's because I developed an addiction to buying dvd movies used for a penny rather than comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just finished the first 3 issues of Casanova and I really like it. I assume the whole series is collected in the three volumes I'm able to find on Image's website?