Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Try a downing a 30 minute defense buff before you go in. Does wonders for avoiding taking tons of damage from minor mistakes.

I could do that but I'm not annoyed enough yet to do what I consider to be cheating the challenge. I mean what's the point of doing it on master mode only to then deliberately make it easier for myself again? I know I can beat it without that, I just need a little bit more patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through in normal mode for the first time, I found the beginning trial dull and difficult, but the middle and final trials are pretty fun with the environmental challenges

It is pretty annoying that even with maxed out inventory, if you use bombs too much to deal with keese/chus/stalenemies/red bokoblins/etc, you have too many good weapons pretty quickly.
Found it annoying to have to drop stuff from my inventory every floor.

The fact that the Remote Bomb+ rune does 24 damage means it is an amazing tool for dealing with enemies without using durability.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

Playing through in normal mode for the first time, I found the beginning trial dull and difficult, but the middle and final trials are pretty fun with the environmental challenges

It is pretty annoying that even with maxed out inventory, if you use bombs too much to deal with keese/chus/stalenemies/red bokoblins/etc, you have too many good weapons pretty quickly.
Found it annoying to have to drop stuff from my inventory every floor.

The fact that the Remote Bomb+ rune does 24 damage means it is an amazing tool for dealing with enemies without using durability.

I beat the first challenge with Bombs, a Korok leaf, patience, and practiced aiming. It's very inefficient way to kill enemies, so I'd never do it out on the world map, where you can just run in in the best armor and never guard, take every hit and just slaughter everything, but it is very fun to mortar them from afar, see them explode, get frightened and return to the same spot only to get blasted again.

Why enemies are curious about bombs over and over again is baffling to me, but it's very amusing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
One of my favorite things to do is climb up on the lip of a skull and chuck bombs through the eye sockets. I especially love waiting to detonate a bomb until right when one of the Bokoblins winds up to kick it, that poo poo makes me cackle with glee.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really want a sequel that uses the same durability sytem to add a lot more enchantments to weapons.

At endgame, I keep getting melee weapons with Rare Attack+, Rare Durability up, and... long throw. There should be more effects.

An enchantment that gives a weapon 1-2 charges of an elemental effect. (elemental weapons ingame have 4 charges of their effect).

Zoom/range enchantment for bows.

Shields that have an enchantment that increases shield surf speed/reduces friction when using that shield.

Bows that fire arows that ricochet bewteen enemies, bows that fire arrows that have slight homing abilities.

Weapons that gain a buff in the presence of a enemy type (bokoblins/lizalfos/moblins).

But I think the 'fire/ice' attacks instantly kill opposite element enemies is something that should be removed, just give a damage bonus.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"Long throw" are the two most infuriating words in the game, imo.

The fact that long throw is a yellow enhancement (meaning it's considered upper tier) and critical hit isn't (meaning at a certain point in the game, it disappears forever) is even more infuriating. It's not that long throw is a bonus. It's not even that the game considers it a good bonus. It's that the game considers it one of the best bonuses a weapon can have. Who the gently caress made this decision and what were they smoking?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Noctone posted:

One of my favorite things to do is climb up on the lip of a skull and chuck bombs through the eye sockets. I especially love waiting to detonate a bomb until right when one of the Bokoblins winds up to kick it, that poo poo makes me cackle with glee.

This is exactly what I do. Climb up, silently arrow the watchtower guards outside, then just keep dropping bombs in the eyes and laughing as they explode.

I got a bokoblin to go flying out the eyesocket once and it was hilarious but I havent been able to do it again

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Spergatory posted:

"Long throw" are the two most infuriating words in the game, imo.

The fact that long throw is a yellow enhancement (meaning it's considered upper tier) and critical hit isn't (meaning at a certain point in the game, it disappears forever) is even more infuriating. It's not that long throw is a bonus. It's not even that the game considers it a good bonus. It's that the game considers it one of the best bonuses a weapon can have. Who the gently caress made this decision and what were they smoking?

if weapons didn't break after a single throw by god i would be throwing every weapon i had in every encounter

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I turned around outside Rito village to see Vah Medoh with a blood moon rising behind him, and right then a shooting star streaked through the sky. I pulled out my camera and a Stal-lizard swatted me to my death off a ledge.

I reloaded and got a sweet picture of the blood moon and Vah Medoh, but no falling star :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

if weapons didn't break after a single throw by god i would be throwing every weapon i had in every encounter

I was about to say they don't actually, but then realized I confused several mechanics. Throwing weapons do not break on hitting an enemy, and no weapon will break upon missing and hitting the ground (in fact it takes no damage at all) unless it's already badly damaged. But hitting an enemy does break most weapons.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking some more, we know that metal/stone treasure chests dont have their contents respawn when taken.

But I went back to areas I cleared at the beginning of the game with the sensor set to treasure while doing trials for Links sick dirtbike, and I have a theory.

See, the weapons/bows/shields I found had rare enchantments on them, ones that I know they never had when I originally found the treasures and left the contents in the chest, due to having a full inventory

But finding a SILVERSCALE SPEAR in Zoras domain with yellow Attack+13 or something making it a 23 attack spear, plus all the yellow enchantments on other gear found in old areas has me thinking that while the item in the chest never ever changes, the enchantment does, depending on your scaling.

I found a billion radiant shields with yellow enchantments when I did gerudo desert, since I scoured the east side of the map completely before even stepping foot in the gerudo and rito areas.

Considering the placed weapons/bows/shields that are found throughout the world in the open, that do respawn, I think those dont get scaling enchantments, ever. I got pretty disappointed when the Great Thunderblade I pulled out of a mountain top thad no enchantments, compared to my Attack +23 Great Thunderblade I pulled out of a chest.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Is there a point to chucking your damaged weapons at enemies? Breaking a weapon on a swing deals double damage anyway, and you may as well get the maximum number of melee hits out of it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I personally have never thrown a weapon other than max heart master sword throwing. If I'm fighting from a range, I just use arrows.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cyberventurer posted:

Is there a point to chucking your damaged weapons at enemies? Breaking a weapon on a swing deals double damage anyway, and you may as well get the maximum number of melee hits out of it.

I was under the impression that thrown weapons also deal double damage and it stacks

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's satisfying to whap a moblin upside the head from a distance with a bat his buddy was carrying.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
lol if you don't immediately backflip and huck your weapon into your enemy's face the moment you get the message it's about to break then pick up their weapon and continue the murdering

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Today I found two magical nature groves on the side of Satori Mountain. One had every kind of mushroom, and the other had every kind of herb and a Korok. :neckbeard:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yahahahaha

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Today I found two magical nature groves on the side of Satori Mountain. One had every kind of mushroom, and the other had every kind of herb and a Korok. :neckbeard:

this game is so good

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Yeah there are a few places like that which instantly got marked on my map, I think the heart pond is the one with all the radishes which is aces for making recovery food.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I spent like an hour combing over Satori Mountain collecting everything, there is so much stuff there

e: another good spot for radishes are the woods behind Wetland Stable, I try to always stop there if I'm farting around in that area and collect them all

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
If you ever get bored, set your radar to treasure chest and go outside. Holy moly!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spergatory posted:

There are also 4 durian trees on the mountain

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I started playing again the other day after rebuying it for Switch. I found a bear off to the east of Dueling Peaks, and it scared the poo poo out of me, I never even knew there were bears even after pouring dozens of hours into the WiiU version.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

I started playing again the other day after rebuying it for Switch. I found a bear off to the east of Dueling Peaks, and it scared the poo poo out of me, I never even knew there were bears even after pouring dozens of hours into the WiiU version.

You can ride them you know

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I put so so so much time into the Wii U version, I have over 200 hours in the switch version. Still have never seen a bear wtf

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was in a hurry on the motorcycle getting to a shooting star the other day and I passed TWO bears together. I had never seen that before

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also this is only the 4th time I had ever seen any bears at all. First time I had just about 200 hours in.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I feel like I've been seeing tons of bears lately. Funny/extremely cool how different everyone's experience of the game is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I put so so so much time into the Wii U version, I have over 200 hours in the switch version. Still have never seen a bear wtf

I only saw one in the first 100 hours then I was in some snowy spot and I got attacked by two motherfuckers riding bears carrying axes. :black101:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Before they added video clip saving I had such a good bear encounter. I was harvesting wood at that one stable near Rito village, and a bear erupts from the deeper woods, headed right for me. Having just locked myself into a swing animation, I watched in helplessness and then helpless laughter as my felled tree traced a perfect arc through the air to break the charging bear's back.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also this is only the 4th time I had ever seen any bears at all. First time I had just about 200 hours in.

There’s a pair of bear-riding bokoblins out there too. I stasised the bokoblins off because I thought it’d be like horses where they’re pre-tamed, but nope. Those bears were *pissed*.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I only saw one in the first 100 hours then I was in some snowy spot and I got attacked by two motherfuckers riding bears carrying axes. :black101:

What the gently caress :stare:

Edit: lol at the above 2 bear stories

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Edit: lol at the above 2 bear stories

:same:

There's so much poo poo in this game that's like Nintendo foresaw people being like "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
When I was walking back to the Dueling Peaks stable after getting Misko's treasure I got attacked by a bear, so I hit it with my new flaming sword and got killed by a bear on fire.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Been having some fun playing the DLC.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/956721486923886593
https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/956720810365865984

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How hard would it be to get all the Deku seeds?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Korok seeds? It's not hard, it's just tedious, and after the first 450 whatever, kinda pointless.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy poo poo that double hit in the first video :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I got ~400 just wandering around before the first DLC came out, then another ~400 just wearing the korok mask while exploring, mostly from places on the map I hadn't been to. I love exploring the game so the wandering wasn't tedious at all to me. When I realized I was only like, 100 away from finishing them off I said gently caress it and pulled up a map.