Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/955934768272637952

Looks Like Oklahoma hired Shane Beamer as their 10th coach. He is going to coach tight ends and h-backs along with special teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Woof

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/955934768272637952

Looks Like Oklahoma hired Shane Beamer as their 10th coach. He is going to coach tight ends and h-backs along with special teams.

This is actually a good hire, like was said on the previous page, UGA's special teams have been off the gat dang chain this last season

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KKKLIP ART posted:

This is actually a good hire, like was said on the previous page, UGA's special teams have been off the gat dang chain this last season

I’m pretty excited that it seems we’re actually trying to uh try on special teams for the first time in several years. I seriously never understood why Bob just totally gave up on special teams towards the end.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/GrahamHall_/status/956215158967283712

Is this a good hire?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I’m pretty excited that it seems we’re actually trying to uh try on special teams for the first time in several years. I seriously never understood why Bob just totally gave up on special teams towards the end.

A lot of it was limited space the NCAA gave for an on field coach for all positions and it was tough to have a guy who just does special team work. Most special teams even just practice by themselves so dedicating any real manpower at the college level is tough

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

UF receivers were really good and known for creating offensive out... I can't do this anymore.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Your ST coordinator almost always does another position, usually something small like TEs. James Shibest is VT's guy now and that's his job as well. He's also super duper good at it and VT led the country in blocks and was top 10-20 in I think every other ST stat they track.

e: Shibest won the AFCA award for ST coordinator this year so that's cool.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/956222037810401280

:negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll be damned. Coombs was at Cincy and OSU for what felt like ever.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Literally the best assistant on the staff. Dude's had a first round corner like every year it feels like. This blows.

Also, Ryan Day is officially the playcaller now. Makes sense, considering Wilson's been put in charge of the run game and Day is fully in charge of the pass game. The running game is probably not changing much outside of some 2-back/motion type stuff to help hide that the QB run is less of a threat now, but the passing game will definitely change based on who actually wins the job, ergo let Day call the plays and be done with it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This is an extra special kick in the dick as a former Rams fan

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/956227628746334212

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

Literally the best assistant on the staff. Dude's had a first round corner like every year it feels like. This blows.

Yes it does. He was arguably the best recruiter Ohio State has as well, especially in the state of Ohio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

korrandark posted:

Yes it does. He was arguably the best recruiter Ohio State has as well, especially in the state of Ohio.

yeah he was a phenomenal recruiter in-state.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

He's a better recruiter than coach. He coached RB's for Florida before getting moved to TE's and he's really salty about it (understandably).

With that said he was our best recruiter.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

KKKLIP ART posted:

A lot of it was limited space the NCAA gave for an on field coach for all positions and it was tough to have a guy who just does special team work. Most special teams even just practice by themselves so dedicating any real manpower at the college level is tough

I get all that, but for the last several years our punt return game was essentially having all the potential blockers just stand up straight and pray for a fair catch. Like they straight up did not try.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the two most common things you'll see with the 10th assistant are going to be a dedicated special teams coach and splitting up secondary coaching between corners and safeties

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dan Enos' contract at Arkansas included a non compete clause that prevented him from moving to an SEC school

Dan Enos instead left and signed a contract with Michigan

two weeks later he left Michigan and signed a contract with Alabama

what a piece of poo poo lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

South Florida isn't a worthwhile football recruiting grounds guys

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Having Day instead of Wilson call plays seems like a bad idea, if it's actually real as opposed to a ploy to keep Day.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Dan Enos' contract at Arkansas included a non compete clause that prevented him from moving to an SEC school

haha owned

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

That loving rules

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Marquis de Pyro posted:

why is he a piece of poo poo? That's awesome

e: lol nm I know why

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Having Day instead of Wilson call plays seems like a bad idea, if it's actually real as opposed to a ploy to keep Day.

I dunno, nothing about Wilson's play calling last season makes me worried that someone else will do it. Apparently they are going to do the run game and passing game coordinator thing that is all the rage.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Omg lol

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That's downright diabolical.

e: a word

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 26, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol at these wacky things going on while coaches can unilaterally veto player transfers

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I understand that I am a big Michigan homer, but in this case that's not why I'm mad about it. The guy is an MSU guy who did a terrible job at my beloved 2nd favorite team Central Michigan as head coach, I did not want to hire him at Michigan to begin with

It's much more the fact that he just went to ALABAMA in the process dunking all over one of their conference "rivals" and yet a player attempting to transfer is a nightmarish process when a coach can do this

Also, I think Arkansas is still stuck paying him like $500,000 this year lol

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Kim Jong Il posted:

Day functionally called most plays post-Iowa and was literally next to Wilson all year. The passing game was already like 70% his concepts. Wilson’s timing routes don’t work with a slow throwing qb who can’t throw past 8 yards and guys who are bad at High pointing isn’t a great fit. Day has a better grasp of the qb capabilities we have now and ran the redesign of all the mesh/cross/vert concepts this past year. The running game will always be urban derived so it makes sense to put the playcaller in a position to best manage the uncertainty on offense.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's hard for me to accept because I've watched Ryan Day be pretty lovely for about a decade. Then he gets brought along for the Chip Kelly experience, and suddenly he's a hot commodity? While Wilson was brilliant at Oklahoma and Indiana. I guess sometimes you get a lot better or over the hill, but I don't think it'd happen that suddenly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I understand that I am a big Michigan homer, but in this case that's not why I'm mad about it. The guy is an MSU guy who did a terrible job at my beloved 2nd favorite team Central Michigan as head coach, I did not want to hire him at Michigan to begin with

It's much more the fact that he just went to ALABAMA in the process dunking all over one of their conference "rivals" and yet a player attempting to transfer is a nightmarish process when a coach can do this

lol it still owns a whole lot and you are salty AF about it. Hell I'd be if the situation was reversed, not blaming ya.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Re-fire Jeff Long

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dan Enos is a Sparty grad so I’d absolutely believe he did this to screw with Michigan.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Sounds like Arkansas needs a better lawyer to draw up these contracts

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's hard for me to accept because I've watched Ryan Day be pretty lovely for about a decade. Then he gets brought along for the Chip Kelly experience, and suddenly he's a hot commodity? While Wilson was brilliant at Oklahoma and Indiana. I guess sometimes you get a lot better or over the hill, but I don't think it'd happen that suddenly.

Wilson's limitations were JT Barrett himself, not his schemes.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/CoachSamz/status/957351005225709568

holy cow why, Louisville

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is the biggest "Sparty no" in history.

The Adidas scandal's probably made it hard to attract coaching talent.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

The Adidas scandal's probably made it hard to attract coaching talent.

And the head coach is notoriously hard to work with.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Just caught up on the other thread...

So who does Michigan State go for now that it's almost February?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

Just caught up on the other thread...

So who does Michigan State go for now that it's almost February?

If/when D'Antonio is out I'd guess you'd go interim at this point with whoever you can get and address it next year?

Maybe some low level MSU grad coach is hanging around who might want the job. I guess Jim Grobe is out there if he wants to finish his career up by taking jobs like this.

• Locked thread