Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Grew up in west Texas and can confirm people call them that

Idfk either because I’d call them “fancy coloured pencils”, but my family is french jews so idfk

French Jews in Texas sounds fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I knew that the Russian word for pencil was Карандаш because I have a few boxes of Soviet pencils but I thought they'd swiped the word from a box of Swiss pencils when, of course, it's the other way around (with the artist calling himself Caran d'Ache in the middle).

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dave Thomas, the actor on SCTV, was not the Dave Thomas who founded Wendy's.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Woollen hats are called beanies and are useless 99% of the time in this country

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iajanus posted:

Woollen hats are called beanies and are useless 99% of the time in this country

I'll wear one when I'm in Tasmania in the winter, because it's often single-digit degrees there. But you're right, most of the time they're completely useless.

I have a really really nice cashmere greatcoat I had made for me in Thailand in 2012.

It's been cold enough to wear it once since then.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, in order: it's pencil crayons, multi-storey carpark and woolly hat.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Memento posted:

I'll wear one when I'm in Tasmania in the winter, because it's often single-digit degrees there. But you're right, most of the time they're completely useless.

I have a really really nice cashmere greatcoat I had made for me in Thailand in 2012.

It's been cold enough to wear it once since then.

I have a wonderful collection of coats that I got to wear all the time when I lived down south which now lie useless in the closet now I live in Queensland where winter is around 20 degrees :(

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Hardcordion posted:

Where I'm from colored pencils are called leads and wool hats are called toques if they have a pompom on top, a beanie/cap otherwise.

Only people I've ever heard call them leads were from Newfoundland. Pencil crayons is what you hear mostly in eastern Canada.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

You call each writing implement, individually, a (whatever coloured) Floyd.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Helith posted:

Or bobble hat! If it's got a bobble.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
The reason we call them "pencil crayons" in Canada at least is because of bilingualism. There's a whole genre of Canadian idioms that arise from having both French and English on packaging and people not reading things in the intended way. I'm sure there's some sort of analogue in the States except with Spanish.

Edit: this is why:

Tad Naff has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tad Naff posted:

The reason we call them "pencil crayons" in Canada at least is because of bilingualism. There's a whole genre of Canadian idioms that arise from having both French and English on packaging and people not reading things in the intended way. I'm sure there's some sort of analogue in the States except with Spanish.

My friend's rural Manitoba grandma thought "jambon" was a fancy brand of ham, so on special occasions she'd "buy the jambon ham"

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
That's a good one. My wife just told me about her friend's husband from Australia that really preferred the "Old Fort" cheddar.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I always heard the warm, woolly hats called "toboggans" and it never made sense.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Helith posted:

Minnesota, in order: Colored pencil, ramp, stocking cap.

Ramp can be "parking ramp" or "parking garage" or any other silly descriptive term. Everyone just says "is there a ramp?" in real life.

Now everyone answer this question: What does "a pair of choppers" mean, and why are new ones so awesome?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

My in laws all call Giant Tiger ‘Tiger Giant’ because the the stores have to be called Tigre Geant here.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

mostlygray posted:

Minnesota, in order: Colored pencil, ramp, stocking cap.

Ramp can be "parking ramp" or "parking garage" or any other silly descriptive term. Everyone just says "is there a ramp?" in real life.

Now everyone answer this question: What does "a pair of choppers" mean, and why are new ones so awesome?

It’s teeth and presumably because then you can once again eat things that haven’t been put through a blender first?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tad Naff posted:

pick me up some zesty mordant chips

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mostlygray posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

In my youth, I did not understand how the world works. That there is no justice to anything, and you should not expect any. The good are not rewarded, nor the evil punished. No points are given for being better or worse than some ideal. The only thing that matters, to you, is how you think about things, and what you do based on that thought. You may get praise or appreciation, but that should be cast aside, because you are defined by inner movements. The whole universe is contained inside your brain, or the parts of it that matter anyway.
Actually, the opposite is true. Nothing matters and the real you is the version that everyone else sees. The version of you that you imagine exists is fiction. You're not defined by what you think, you're defined by what other people think about you. Your "inner self" is ephemeral and inconsequential.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my sonic the hedgehog fan fiction is more real than your inner thoughts

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

Actually, the opposite is true. Nothing matters and the real you is the version that everyone else sees. The version of you that you imagine exists is fiction. You're not defined by what you think, you're defined by what other people think about you. Your "inner self" is ephemeral and inconsequential.

Of course you are right, only that what is seen is real... Better start an instagram account as soon as possible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tiggum posted:

No

Because every one of those individuals seeing me is only seeing the "me" that their experiences, prejudices, and knowledge allows them to see. That "me" is unique to them and only exists in their mind, and while there are probably a lot of similarities in the way others see "me", ultimately none of them are truly me and they're just as ephemeral and inconsequential as my own thoughts about them.

Would you say that only the things people can agree upon are real? That seems like a bad precedent to set.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Tad Naff posted:

Edit: this is why:

Not necessarily. I've worked in package design for many years for a ton of consumer goods companies and often am creating things for both markets (US and Canada). Here's the thing, in the US, when dual-language is required, we can make a big beefy block of type for, say, "Colored Pencils" and then way smaller, sometimes even on another side,"lápices de colores". In Canada, packaging regulations require English and French to be of the same size/weight/visual presence. So both names are large and upfront, causing the confusion/merging you've mentioned.

Since the Spanish (and sometimes another language or two) are so reduced there is less confusion/merging here.

And I tell you, from a design stand-point, I friggin' hate working on Canadaian packaging because it gets so drat cluttered.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I believe the correct term for the parking structure is « un parking »

Also, the worst bilingual canadian labels are the ones where it has to be bilingual when even a toddler of one language would understand either: chocolat/chocolate, or “centre bell center”

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jan 24, 2018

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
On the other extreme, I've seen copiers where the Chinese label was just the Japanese label repeated with simplified characters (including hiragana).

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

lemon-lyme disease posted:

It’s teeth and presumably because then you can once again eat things that haven’t been put through a blender first?

Choppers

Useful for chopping wood. Also, they're warm and last forever.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

mostlygray posted:

Choppers

Useful for chopping wood. Also, they're warm and last forever.

A very small part of me wanted to pretend to see a picture of dentures and be all “ha! I knew it!” but I can’t because those actually look useful.

On the other hand, if they last forever, why does anyone need new ones after their initial pair?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Baronjutter posted:

I guess it's a bit like lacking a single word for "woolen winter cap"

There is, it's "watch cap".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hungry Eyes is a song by Eric Carman

Eric Cartman is a character on South Park that is very fat and always eating.

It's a joke, ya dingus

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modest Mouse is a band, not a single artist??

Modest Mouse is essentially "The Isaac Brock Project" but he doesn't go by Modest Mouse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another thing about canadian bilingualisms that I figured out a while back was when, about halfway through my first trip to Montréal, I realized there were several chains that were just regular canadian chains with name changes. I had thought they were unique Québec businesses. Tigre Géant was mentioned, but there's also Mac's/Couche-Tard, Shoppers/Pharmaprix, and others. Also someone told me that it's Tim Hortons and not Tim Horton's because adding the apostrophe would make it english and therefore it'd have to be Chez Tim or some poo poo in Québec, but idk if that's true.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Another thing about canadian bilingualisms that I figured out a while back was when, about halfway through my first trip to Montréal, I realized there were several chains that were just regular canadian chains with name changes. I had thought they were unique Québec businesses. Tigre Géant was mentioned, but there's also Mac's/Couche-Tard, Shoppers/Pharmaprix, and others. Also someone told me that it's Tim Hortons and not Tim Horton's because adding the apostrophe would make it english and therefore it'd have to be Chez Tim or some poo poo in Québec, but idk if that's true.

It's not the apostrophe, it's the trademark. Trademark names do not need to be in dual language.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The apostrophe bit is not true. We have McDonald's and Wendy's here, among many others.

It's not uncommon for companies to drop apostrophes. Starbucks doesn't have one either.

Edit: Bureau en Gros just being Staples is another one of those Quebec names people don't realize. I say Staples all the time at work when talking about office supply orders and people are always so surprised when they find out.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jan 25, 2018

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Aphrodite posted:

The apostrophe bit is not true. We have McDonald's and Wendy's here, among many others.

It's not uncommon for companies to drop apostrophes. Starbucks doesn't have one either.

Dr Pepper even drops the period. You can do whatever you want with punctuation.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Dr Pepper just decided to be British.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

purple death ray posted:

Would you say that only the things people can agree upon are real? That seems like a bad precedent to set.
I think I would say that, yes. Why would that be a bad precedent?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

lemon-lyme disease posted:

A very small part of me wanted to pretend to see a picture of dentures and be all “ha! I knew it!” but I can’t because those actually look useful.

On the other hand, if they last forever, why does anyone need new ones after their initial pair?

It's very cold in the Northwoods. I saw -62f when I was a kid during the record year. Gloves don't work anymore, but wood still needs chopping. They last a long time, but because they do, a new pair is special.

I remember when a female classmate of mine in the '90's got a new pair for Christmas. It was the talk of the school. Northern MN doesn't have a lot of money or a lot to talk about. Mostly the cold, fishing, hunting, and lots of sex. Lots of sex.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

It gets pretty cold here (northern NY, -30f pretty recently) but I don’t think it’s ever gotten THAT cold. drat.

My only real exposure to Minnesota is A Prairie Home Companion and I guess they didn’t often talk about choppers or all the sex. Their mistake, if you ask me.

e: It’s akin to wiring something, isn’t it?vvv

burial has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I didn't realize until today that the word cable could also be used as a verb. Apparently you can cable something which actually means to send a message to and a couple more general definitions.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cable

I guess it makes sense, but as a native English speaker I've never heard the word used to describe any form of message. Cablegram was also a new one for me, which autocorrect also doesn't recognize.