Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

Hey guys.

:yotj:

!!!

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Had a recruiter interview insist on salary history and stuck to my guns with not disclosing and made my case that it doesn’t matter. They probably won’t move forward with me but oh well it’s nice to have a backbone.

I like to say sure, as long as you show me how much you pay everyone else at a similar job title to my own since we are operating in the interest of transparency here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SamDabbers posted:

Hey guys.

!!!

:cheers:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Oh most assuredly do not walk away. Don't even tell them you are looking until the offer is lined up and you give notice.

Again though, this is all ideal. If you are working 70 hours a week because you are understaffed and will get fired if you take time, how do you effectively search for a new job?

If you have crappy work conditions but great benefits that are needed by your family, how do you make the decision to give that up to relieve your own stress level?

To be sure the answer is always "find something better" but sometimes there isn't something better and sometimes the search itself could push you past the breaking point.

Culture has to change and shopping the job market has thus far been really ineffectual in making that change happen. The theory is that crappy companies won't be able to hire good people because they will flee to better jobs. But that's the same capitalism argument that's leading to these crappy jobs to begin with.

We need a revival of worker's rights movement. We need comprehensive reform of overtime laws that have a hard work week hour cap and no exemptions. We need to make it more expensive for a company to work someone for 60 hours than it is to hire an additional person. It's the same dance everywhere. You either wait for someone to leave and then don't reopen the position or do poo poo like stacked rankings so you can easily drop a chunk of staff while lumping the same workload on whoever is left.

We need to make it illegal to deny a vacation request (of any amount equal to the employee's balance) as long as it comes with sufficient notice to plan around.

Essentially we need to legislate work time balance because right now the power is all with the companies. You fix work time balance and a lot of the toxic poo poo goes with it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When your company is serious about team building, morale and communication they will schedule an event and make sure in the email to put the word MANDATORY ATTENDANCE in as large a typeface as possible.

Three hours at a restaurant listening to the CEO ramble is going to be fantastic. Going to make sure to bring my phone charger so I don't drain the battery playing Candy Crush at max volume.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Again though, this is all ideal. If you are working 70 hours a week because you are understaffed and will get fired if you take time, how do you effectively search for a new job?

If you have crappy work conditions but great benefits that are needed by your family, how do you make the decision to give that up to relieve your own stress level?

To be sure the answer is always "find something better" but sometimes there isn't something better and sometimes the search itself could push you past the breaking point.

Culture has to change and shopping the job market has thus far been really ineffectual in making that change happen. The theory is that crappy companies won't be able to hire good people because they will flee to better jobs. But that's the same capitalism argument that's leading to these crappy jobs to begin with.

We need a revival of worker's rights movement. We need comprehensive reform of overtime laws that have a hard work week hour cap and no exemptions. We need to make it more expensive for a company to work someone for 60 hours than it is to hire an additional person. It's the same dance everywhere. You either wait for someone to leave and then don't reopen the position or do poo poo like stacked rankings so you can easily drop a chunk of staff while lumping the same workload on whoever is left.

We need to make it illegal to deny a vacation request (of any amount equal to the employee's balance) as long as it comes with sufficient notice to plan around.

Essentially we need to legislate work time balance because right now the power is all with the companies. You fix work time balance and a lot of the toxic poo poo goes with it.

This is pretty much what unions are for.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah the system is poo poo. Assuming none of those things happen, the only way to operate within it without being horribly exploited is to be extremely mobile and willing to get out if it goes bad or you are stuck at a flat wage.

Either that and be extremely fortunate to work at a place that still treats its people well.

SamDabbers posted:

Hey guys.

!!!
Be this guy or make the sacrifice of your own happiness and well being for your family to not have to move or whatever other legit reasons you can have to be stuck. It's a poo poo choice but welp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Join the DSA today!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Join the DSA today!

Excuse me sir this is the land of the FREE*

*to die in the ditch of preventable illness caused by the stress of your 70hr a week job

Dick Trauma posted:

When your company is serious about team building, morale and communication they will schedule an event and make sure in the email to put the word MANDATORY ATTENDANCE in as large a typeface as possible.

Three hours at a restaurant listening to the CEO ramble is going to be fantastic. Going to make sure to bring my phone charger so I don't drain the battery playing Candy Crush at max volume.

holiday layoffs followed by trust exercises are also good

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 24, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SamDabbers posted:

Hey guys.

!!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Join the DSA today!

:yeah:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

This is me IRL right now. I've had very few good work experiences in my career, but things are looking good for the future.

I'm moving to Detroit to be a mainframe janitor for Ford. They're going to train me (no real experience with mainframes) and every couple years rotate me to a different subgroup to learn about a different aspect of mainframe technology. I'm really stoked!

The salary and benefits in the offer exceeded my expectations. In fact, I expected to not receive an offer at all! Really good base figgies (especially for coming in as entry level requiring training), annual bonus, and 3 weeks vacation right out of the gate, as well as a generous relocation assistance package. I literally interviewed yesterday, and got an offer email this morning. I'm still processing all of this.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They'll pay an absurd amount of money to be willing to live in Detroit.

That's awesome, enjoy your huge payday, try to pick out the neighborhood that managers and executives live in!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SamDabbers posted:

This is me IRL right now. I've had very few good work experiences in my career, but things are looking good for the future.

I'm moving to Detroit to be a mainframe janitor for Ford. They're going to train me (no real experience with mainframes) and every couple years rotate me to a different subgroup to learn about a different aspect of mainframe technology. I'm really stoked!

The salary and benefits in the offer exceeded my expectations. In fact, I expected to not receive an offer at all! Really good base figgies (especially for coming in as entry level requiring training), annual bonus, and 3 weeks vacation right out of the gate, as well as a generous relocation assistance package. I literally interviewed yesterday, and got an offer email this morning. I'm still processing all of this.

Grats! It feels great once you have enough experience and expertise under your belt to be valuable to the point where you no longer need fear.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My union can't legally go on strike, which means we effectively have no negotiating power.

End capitalism, hth.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They'll pay an absurd amount of money to be willing to live in Detroit.

That's awesome, enjoy your huge payday, try to pick out the neighborhood that managers and executives live in!

I'd be willing to move to Detroit but the unrestricted access to Detroit-style deep dish pizza would be the end of me. :btroll:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

Detroit-style deep dish pizza

i used to respect you, man

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I hear there is legit shawerma to be had there too.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
"Just an update on the position we discussed last week. It looks like with the realignment of positions by our HR strategy team, unfortunately this role and needs will be more junior than your current position and won’t be the right fit at this time. Your background and salary level are more suited to a senior engineer or even a leadership position within our group."

I hate it when recruiters go shopping.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Join the DSA today!

This reminds me that I need to switch to monthly dues.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Congrats man. I live about 15 minutes from Ford HQ in Dearborn, there's lots of great areas to live near here. (Especially if you like middle eastern food.) Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the area.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

bull3964 posted:

Woooo this is basically my wife's current dilemma; see she's sick to the back teeth of her current job which isn't going anywhere and been in it far too long, however after taking maternity she contractually has to stick around for awhile, she gets a quarterly bonus and as she works 10 hour days gets Wednesdays off. Changing job is very much a dilemma as she may find something which pays more, however we'll have to readjust our childcare plans and have to pay out a lot more, and there's the whole thing of wanting another kid and worrying how maternity at new place would pan out.

It's very much a rock and a hard place, stress is absolutely something you should resolve as the last place I worked caused me to come home pissed off to high hell practically everyday, but still the finances have to add up so you can eat and have a roof over your head.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

bull3964 posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm in Canada, but my healthcare costs would still rise considerably if I lost my work insurance. Being over-stressed by work, consistently finding 0 jobs on work sites to even apply for, plus my depression meds losing effectiveness I feel like I'm getting close to a breakdown.

After >3 years I'm still on the same title and pay scale as when I started working at the Help Desk, but they keep dumping more and more responsibilities on me. I'm (almost solely) responsible for software vetting, image design and maintenance, computer lab maintenance, security and patching for desktop, a good deal of VDI support and administration, etc. And on top of all that I still have to be prepared to drop everything at moment's notice to respond to classroom IT problems.

Even worse is that I was just assigned to figure out why we don't have wake on LAN despite that fact that we have an team of network analysts/engineers who set up this network and should be able to answer questions like that.

To find a better job I'd have to move to Calgary or Edmonton, and I'm just too depressed right now to make that sort of long term and incredibly expensive plan. :smith:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I wont promise you that anything is better over here, but it might be.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hungry Computer posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm in Canada, but my healthcare costs would still rise considerably if I lost my work insurance. Being over-stressed by work, consistently finding 0 jobs on work sites to even apply for, plus my depression meds losing effectiveness I feel like I'm getting close to a breakdown.

After >3 years I'm still on the same title and pay scale as when I started working at the Help Desk, but they keep dumping more and more responsibilities on me. I'm (almost solely) responsible for software vetting, image design and maintenance, computer lab maintenance, security and patching for desktop, a good deal of VDI support and administration, etc. And on top of all that I still have to be prepared to drop everything at moment's notice to respond to classroom IT problems.

Even worse is that I was just assigned to figure out why we don't have wake on LAN despite that fact that we have an team of network analysts/engineers who set up this network and should be able to answer questions like that.

To find a better job I'd have to move to Calgary or Edmonton, and I'm just too depressed right now to make that sort of long term and incredibly expensive plan. :smith:

There's always a better job out there brother. When you're depressed you feel like you're locked into the same poo poo. Just apply for jobs and see what all is out there.

Brush up your resume and send it out to some recruiters. You're doing sysadmin level work and there's definitely a job out there for you. If things are really getting to a breaking point, have a meeting with your manager and explain how overloaded you are. Things will get better for you duder :unsmith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been dealing with worse and worse depression stemming from work (well, and the political climate :v:) but I just don't know if I've got another "generic user-facing IT management" jump in me. My current place sucks, but I've been doing this type of work for long enough at this point. I'd really, really like to get into something a little more engineering focused like the DevOps world, but my coding skills are ancient and it's hard to get motivated to learn that world when I have nothing to apply it to in my day to day and there's plenty of work-related stuff I could be doing.

Basically, I'm just kind of bored with my current skills and want a pretty massive career change, but I'm having trouble getting motivated enough to actually learn it because I'm burnt out in my role. Kind of waiting on my wife to make a big career jump that she's due for. I was hoping I could then take a job for a little less $$$ just for a change of scenery.

Before anyone feels too sorry for me, I make enough money that everyone's response should probably be something along the lines of "wah wah."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same boat here ^. Venting in the threads helps a lot but I do need to kick myself hard and just jump somewhere else. I'm building up a buffer to make any weird lining up of pay dates due to weird start times not a problem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Same boat here ^. Venting in the threads helps a lot but I do need to kick myself hard and just jump somewhere else. I'm building up a buffer to make any weird lining up of pay dates due to weird start times not a problem.

Well, that makes me feel slightly better. I always notice your responses and am always impressed by the sheer amount of knowledge you seem to have. Glad to hear I'm in good company, I guess.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Day 2 of Sophos Central outage, can't deploy new laptops with AV or FDE, we're in a hiring frenzy, can't do poo poo because "it's the cloud".

Starting to think migrating end point security like this to hosted services was a mistake.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd be willing to move to Detroit but the unrestricted access to Detroit-style deep dish pizza would be the end of me. :btroll:

Having grown up in the suburbs of Detroit and spent a summer working in a pizza place, I will always argue that the defining characteristic of "Detroit-style pizza" is that it's bad. I don't care about the dish depth or crust style, you can't call it Detroit-style pizza unless all the ingredients taste like they came from the cheapest supplier in the midwest and were cooked by people who hope to get fired so they can live without the burden of expectations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

PSA check and see if your insurance covers counseling or an "employee help line" if you feel like you're in a rut. You can get access to resources that can help if you feel like you're getting depressed and can't shake it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This thread is so depressing. You get paid very well to sit at a desk. It could be worse. Lots worse.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

poo poo 30% of companies hire remote now. I haven’t had an office job in 5 years. You can’t complain your city sucks for job market.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just started working from home 2 days a week.

My next job is going to be 100% remote.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

jaegerx posted:

poo poo 30% of companies hire remote now. I haven’t had an office job in 5 years. You can’t complain your city sucks for job market.

Suck this *points 2 dilz*

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Suck this *points 2 dilz*

https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=786_1516787284

This is you isn’t it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

please don't doxx me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Having grown up in the suburbs of Detroit and spent a summer working in a pizza place, I will always argue that the defining characteristic of "Detroit-style pizza" is that it's bad. I don't care about the dish depth or crust style, you can't call it Detroit-style pizza unless all the ingredients taste like they came from the cheapest supplier in the midwest and were cooked by people who hope to get fired so they can live without the burden of expectations.

You're probably one of those people that doesn't like heavy metals as a pizza topping. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m still sad no one has tried McDonald’s hot sauce yet. It’s legit. I stole a bunch to make wings with this weekend.