Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Does imperial terminators have any use at all right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SteelMentor posted:

Naturally at this point we're telling him to gently caress off with that gross poo poo, but the fucker decides to go a step beyond and bites down, soft enough to not smash the model, but hard enough to break off a weapon, which he swallows and immediately starts choking on.

Keep some Chinese recasts around for weirdos to snack on, enjoy your heavy-metal laced resin!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corrode posted:

Bloody hell this escalated quickly.

Oh I have such tales to tell. Nerd circles are a never ending descent.

There was also that time a kid glued his face to a board tile, that was pretty funny.

Forums Terrorist posted:

are warhams the new tide pods or something

Arguably more harmful in the long term.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Many thought the rise of resin and plastic minis was to cut costs, in reality it was to keep their consumerbase from choking on tiny swords

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hixson posted:

Holy gently caress; this is horrifying. I would absolutely lose my poo poo if somebody put one of my models in their mouth

:vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine:

I snapped at a little kid who picked up and dropped one of my rhinos. If an adult man had physically put something I had spent hours painting like a little kid my response would have likely led to one of us being ejected from the store.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Does imperial terminators have any use at all right now?

Casual lists sure. Competitive no, there's too much stuff which cuts through their 2+ and does damage 2 or D3 or whatever which scythes them down quick as you like.

SteelMentor posted:

:justpost:

Also someone talk to me about Tyranids and Chaos Daemons. I'm trying to decide on a project after I finish out some more options for my Guard and get the Ad Mech to being playable, and I want a complete change of playstyle - manoeuvreable and fighty instead of sit back and shoot. Have Nids kept the promise they were showing when they first dropped? Are Daemons any good or is the book too limited? What about general "Chaos" - do they have a place in that?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What's the best YouTube channel if I want to watch some good matches being played? Despite being a fan of 40k video games, books and mini painting for over a decade I've never actually played the tabletop, maybe this will motivate me.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Are you a mutant? Take this self assessment form and find out - https://regimental-standard.com/2018/01/24/are-you-a-mutant/

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Senjuro posted:

What's the best YouTube channel if I want to watch some good matches being played? Despite being a fan of 40k video games, books and mini painting for over a decade I've never actually played the tabletop, maybe this will motivate me.

I found them almost a bit too animated at first, but the Tabletop Tactics channel (which seems very popular, perhaps because they get early copies of codexes and put up punctual battle reports featuring newly-released forces) is my go-to for something on in the background while painting.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Corrode posted:

Follow-up now that it's morning.

Posted on our local Facebook group the other day to see if anyone wanted a game Tuesday eve. Immediately a dude I'll call Timewaster responds. He's up for a game at "7ish." I mentiond this guy before ITT, he's who offered to swap me some Guard bitz, missed our agreed meeting time by 30mins+, then left the completely wrong stuff. I'm trying to keep my games early and short because coming home late on a weeknight understandably pisses my wife off, so I throw him the bone of a 6.30 start which he'll "try to make." Given his rep for being late/forgetting about games entirely, I peace out at this point and tell him I'll play someone else.

I get another game against a different guy. He's playing his Eldar. This dude is always a tough game and even though his lists aren't top tier they're always well-designed and he knows what he's doing with them. We end up starting a little late, but by about 8.20 we're into the bottom of turn 2, so things are on course to finish in a reasonable time.

Then Timewaster arrives. He wonders over to say hello, fine. He explains he was "caught up in traffic" so as predicted he would have been hugely late if I'd agreed to a game with him, which is why I declined in the first place. He sort of hovers at our table for a bit, fine, I don't know him at all but my opponent does a bit and Timewaster wants to see how the game's going, whatever. Except he doesn't loving leave. The entire rest of his evening is spent watching two other people who aren't his friends play a game he's not involved with. Nevermind, he'll involve himself anyway! Here the other aspect of Timewaster's character comes out. He will not shut the gently caress up and he doesn't know any of the rules. He's constantly trying to correct us or tell us what to do, and he keeps getting basic poo poo wrong. He's trying to "manage" the game like he's a ref, except he doesn't know anything, neither of us like him or especially want him to be there, and he keeps asking questions about everything which drags out the back end of the game something fierce. From being part into turn 2 at 8.20, we don't finish the game until like 10.30, and there is a lot of dead poo poo which should be speeding things up, not slowing them down. He also keeps helpfully reminding my opponent of things he's partly forgotten. Me being increasingly short with him doesn't even touch the sides, even if he pauses for second he'll just continue blathering on immediately after. Now he's giving out hobby advice - my opponent drops as Howling Banshee, so he starts telling him he needs to weight the bases. How weighting the bases will help when someone straight up knocks it off the board edge is unclear, but he won't loving stop going on about it even when we both tell him to stop. Next he's giving us list advice, making truly horrible suggestions. He doesn't understand screening and wants an explanation why I didn't just scatter my units across the board in random fashion. Just a constant flow of complete poo poo.

The most bizarre thing was the stools. The room we're in has a central table for leaving stuff on and general bric-a-brac, and under it there's a bunch of stools for people to use. I've brought one over to my side of the table. At one point I'm stood up and dude reaches past me to take the stool off me so he can sit down. I tell him to give it back and get one from the middle table because there's plenty there. A normal individual would apologise at this point. This guy complains at me that I'm not sat on it so why can't he have it? I straight up tell him to gently caress off and he grudgingly puts it back. Later on, I pop to the toilet, and I come back and dude is sat on my side of the table as if it's his game. Again, a normal person would look up and move on in his position; in this case, I have to ask him to move and he takes his drat time.

This all probably sounds petty, and it doesn't compare to the guy who was straight up cheating and complaining about being corrected on basic rules issues from a few months ago, but it is enough to put Timewaster on the list of guys I will directly tell no instead of even pretending to entertain the possibility of a game, and in future will actively tell to leave if he starts hanging around.

Holy poo poo, an autistic person plays warhams?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zark the Damned posted:

Are you a mutant? Take this self assessment form and find out - https://regimental-standard.com/2018/01/24/are-you-a-mutant/

Regimental Standard posted:

Between 10 and 49 Points: Bad news, abhuman – while you may have slipped under the radar so far, your vile genetics have now outed you. Worry not, though, mutant. The Emperor has plenty of uses for you yet – report for immediate reassignment to an abhuman regiment.*

Goddamnit, ABHUMANS ARE NOT MUTANTS.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Genghis Cohen posted:

I found them almost a bit too animated at first, but the Tabletop Tactics channel (which seems very popular, perhaps because they get early copies of codexes and put up punctual battle reports featuring newly-released forces) is my go-to for something on in the background while painting.

I like those dudes too, they put a lot of work into doing varied levels of play, and the production values are miles ahead of most other channels.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Was this at GW or October?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

They have great production values and seem like fairly normal people who have a really fun time making videos

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I snapped at a little kid who picked up and dropped one of my rhinos. If an adult man had physically put something I had spent hours painting like a little kid my response would have likely led to one of us being ejected from the store.

I know right?

But it was just madness. A grown man (of girth not mind) taking and trying to eat one of my models.

It was a ludicrous thing. It should not happen in reality.. but it did (some deep existential questions here I wonder). I have seen some crazy loving poo poo, but nerds and gaming stores are a whole breed of crazy unto themselves.

loving Warhammer, its like a hospital on a full moon, it attracts all sorts of crazy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SteelMentor posted:

There was also that time a kid glued his face to a board tile, that was pretty funny.

Wasn't there some tale about some guy selling his models and in the description he assures people that only some of them had been up his rear end?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Goddamnit, ABHUMANS ARE NOT MUTANTS.

Spoken like a true heretic. Report yourself to your local commissar for appropriate disciplinary action.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

loving Warhammer, its like a hospital on a full moon, it attracts all sorts of crazy.

Think about it; you have a social hobby that's incredibly attractive to people with minimal social skills. In something more mainstream social norms are established really quickly because the people who play them are used to expressing themselves and ostracizing inappropriate behavior. In a hobby like 40K you have a lot of people who aren't used to socializing, or the population is so small that there's an compulsion to tolerate inappropriate behavior because the alternative is that you can't play. Stores have a financial incentive to tolerate the behavior up to the point where other customers are driven away (and naturally this means that if the offender is also a big spender the tolerance will increase). Fortunately most of the people in this hobby are generally well adjusted individuals who just happen to like tiny space barbies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

Except he doesn't loving leave. The entire rest of his evening is spent watching two other people who aren't his friends play a game he's not involved with. Nevermind, he'll involve himself anyway!

I will straight up sit in on a stranger's game and watch it like a batrep. Of course I ask first and leave even on what feels to me like a begrudging "yes" but I've always enjoyed watching others play.

That said this guy sounds ridiculous. He sounds like one of those hangers-on at school who inserts himself into groups who hate him and seems to thrive on the animosity. Reminds me why I only play with friends.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Think about it; you have a social hobby that's incredibly attractive to people with minimal social skills. In something more mainstream social norms are established really quickly because the people who play them are used to expressing themselves and ostracizing inappropriate behavior. In a hobby like 40K you have a lot of people who aren't used to socializing, or the population is so small that there's an compulsion to tolerate inappropriate behavior because the alternative is that you can't play. Stores have a financial incentive to tolerate the behavior up to the point where other customers are driven away (and naturally this means that if the offender is also a big spender the tolerance will increase). Fortunately most of the people in this hobby are generally well adjusted individuals who just happen to like tiny space barbies.

I'm ridiculously lucky because the worst (and thats putting it strongly) person at my lgs is a grey tide incompetent power gamer.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

This sounds like the sort of pseudo-human who was raised by pop culture, so he unironically puts his sister's panties over his head because :byodood: IT'S JUST LIKE IN MY JAPANESE ANIMES and thinks it's genuinely funny.

Appropriately enough for Bad Hams Stories, I was just contacted on FB Messenger by the racist dude from a thread or two back my group kicked out. When he was DMing a 40k RPG, the least creepy thing at the table was how a mutual artist friend stopped playing and began drawing an orgy on his notepad.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Beergod wisdom
Reflectively I suppose we all empathise with 'that' guy to some degree, hence the strong reaction.

We all see ourselves in his place we either were him or recognise what we could of become.

Gw needs to teach social skills, they would actually be a perfect venue and place. Drama and play therapy is a thing, why not Warhams therapy.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or, you know, put more money in your country's mental health system? That could be cool and good?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Irate Tree posted:

Or, you know, put more money in your country's mental health system? That could be cool and good?

Ha, just imagine the cost to a health service if GW was involved.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

I am entirely unable to come up with a response to this that doesn't betray how very my government makes me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
First tournament list. I could cut at least one of the Carnifexes and spread the points around, but I love them so much. Termagants are mostly to stop deepstriking and to stick up front to absorb first turn charges and Smites. Any suggestions?

quote:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [71 PL, 1160pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Hive Fleet: Kraken

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [18 PL, 291pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Spore Cysts

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 162pts]: Monstrous Rending Claws, Power: Catalyst

Old One Eye [10 PL, 200pts]: Monstrous Scything Talons

+ Elites +

Venomthropes [5 PL, 90pts]: 3x Venomthrope

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 228pts]: 4x Acid Maw
. 19x Genestealer: 19x Rending Claws

Genestealers [12 PL, 156pts]: 3x Acid Maw
. 13x Genestealer: 13x Rending Claws

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 33pts]: 3x Ripper Swarm

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [49 PL, 840pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Hive Fleet: Kronos

+ Heavy Support +

Tyrannofex [11 PL, 238pts]: Rupture Cannon, Stinger Salvo

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [11 PL, 199pts]: Monstrous Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Power: Psychic Scream, The Norn Crown, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Soul Hunger, Wings

Neurothrope [4 PL, 70pts]: Power: Psychic Scream

+ Elites +

Hive Guard [7 PL, 144pts]
. Hive Guard: Impaler Cannon

+ Troops +

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 33pts]: 3x Ripper Swarm

Termagants [9 PL, 84pts]: 21x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 72pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Devourer, Scything Talons

++ Total: [120 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

This sounds like the sort of pseudo-human who was raised by pop culture, so he unironically puts his sister's panties over his head because :byodood: IT'S JUST LIKE IN MY JAPANESE ANIMES and thinks it's genuinely funny.

Appropriately enough for Bad Hams Stories, I was just contacted on FB Messenger by the racist dude from a thread or two back my group kicked out. When he was DMing a 40k RPG, the least creepy thing at the table was how a mutual artist friend stopped playing and began drawing an orgy on his notepad.

:frogon:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Goddamn some of you have some terrible stories, I’m glad I’ve got off so lucky (unless im that guy?! :ohdear:). Worst that’s happened was I recently legitimately left my daughter giant fuckoff measuring tape at the LGS when we had to rush off. She wanted one of her own so she could help and measure things while we rolled dice. She chose the largest gaudiest one possible, safety green 30’. It weighs like five pounds. I IMd the store owner and apologized and asked if he saw it to set it aside.

The next time I was there for my escalation league, my daughter took my regular tape to go measure something and, as a friendly gesture, someone randomly handed me my daughters measuring tape out of their bag. In an instant, more to just get on with it than let the dude save face, I exclaimed “oh, you found me daughters tape measure!” And she ran over all excited and took and it hugged it. The dude basically nodded politely and retreated into the tiniest corner he could. I later fought him and he cheated like the dickens. Ugh.

LifeLynx posted:

First tournament list. I could cut at least one of the Carnifexes and spread the points around, but I love them so much. Termagants are mostly to stop deepstriking and to stick up front to absorb first turn charges and Smites. Any suggestions?

The list feels a little unfocused, honestly. One Hive Tyrant is going to quickly be focus-fired with little recourse. How are the Genestealers and Broodlord going to make it across the table? Aside from Synapse, the Warriors don’t offer much and their guns mean they’ll be running across the field to little effect before being gunned down.

What kind of play style are you looking to accomplish? Melee Tyranid can certainly work, as can shooting, but you have an odd mix which doesn’t have a cohesive strategy that I can see. Not trying to be mean, I think you can get a lot out of your list if you choose to focus it one way or the other and opt to revise some of the unit choices.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 25, 2018

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

... the least creepy thing.

:chloe:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
A Deathwatch biker can take a teleport homer. Is this a “drop off in the deployment zone” homer or a “duct taped to the bike and therefore mobile” homer?

Homer.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

PierreTheMime posted:

Stealing from children

Jesus gently caress who does this?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beerdeer posted:

A Deathwatch biker can take a teleport homer. Is this a “drop off in the deployment zone” homer or a “duct taped to the bike and therefore mobile” homer?

Homer.

It explains it on the Biker/kill team datasheet. It's stuck in the deployment zone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One more model and I will have beaten my total for last year!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

gently caress YES I ACTUALLY FINISHED SOME MODELS

Now I just need something better than my lovely cellphone camera. I tried cleaning it up but between the LED-induced horizontal banding and the generally lovely nature of my phone it's a lost cause. On the other hand I have dudes and they look awesome.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I love these ham horror stories, they make Rainbow Gandalf that had to bring his carer with him to the local store seem almost normal.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

One more model and I will have beaten my total for last year!

Looking classy, power sword is purdy lookin. What chapter (tactic)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Looking classy, power sword is purdy lookin. What chapter (tactic)?

Probably Blood Angels. Although since they're Primaris only I can use whatever Chapter I want.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Can I get your guys opinion on a tournament list I am putting together. It's a 2v2 tournament with rotating teammates based on score. Rules are 1000 points, no Lord's of war. Forgeworld is allowed.

Patrol Detachment- Dark Angels

HQ
-Azrael

TROOPS
-Scout Squad X5
-sniper rifle X2
-bolter X3

ELITES
-Primaris Apothecary

-Deredeo Dreadnought
-plasma cannonade
-shield generator

FAST ATTACK
-Darkshroud
-heavy bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT
-Hellblaster X6
-either assault blasters or heavy. I'm torn between the better wound output on the assault guns and the increased range of the heavy

AUXILIARY SUPPORT DETACHMENT - CUSTODES
-Legion Vexillia
-Stormshield

The plan is to act as a static firebase putting out plasma fire with rerolls while my teammate goes for objectives or whatever he is going to do. The scouts are a tax, as I couldn't swing 3 squads of Hellblasters, and the apothecary is required to satisfy the relic tax.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 25, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This is why you paint names onto your tape measures. It's hard to feign innocence when they have their hand on your Willy.

Lungboy posted:

I love these ham horror stories, they make Rainbow Gandalf that had to bring his carer with him to the local store seem almost normal.

I had forgotten all about the story of Rainbow Gandalf.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

Can I get your guys opinion on a tournament list I am putting together. It's a 2v2 tournament with rotating teammates based on score. Rules are 1000 points, no Lord's of war. Forgeworld is allowed.

Patrol Detachment- Dark Angels

HQ
-Azrael

TROOPS
-Scout Squad X5
-sniper rifle X2
-bolter X3

ELITES
-Primaris Apothecary

-Deredeo Dreadnought
-plasma cannonade
-shield generator

FAST ATTACK
-Darkshroud
-heavy bolter

HEAVY SUPPORT
-Hellblaster X6
-either assault blasters or heavy. I'm torn between the better wound output on the assault guns and the increased range of the heavy

AUXILIARY SUPPORT DETACHMENT - CUSTODES
-Legion Vexillia
-Stormshield

The plan is to act as a static firebase putting out plasma fire with rerolls while my teammate goes for objectives or whatever he is going to do. The scouts are a tax, as I couldn't swing 3 squads of Hellblasters, and the apothecary is required to satisfy the relic tax.

What's the custodian giving you that Azrael and the deredeo aren't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

Casual lists sure. Competitive no, there's too much stuff which cuts through their 2+ and does damage 2 or D3 or whatever which scythes them down quick as you like.

:justpost:

Also someone talk to me about Tyranids and Chaos Daemons. I'm trying to decide on a project after I finish out some more options for my Guard and get the Ad Mech to being playable, and I want a complete change of playstyle - manoeuvreable and fighty instead of sit back and shoot. Have Nids kept the promise they were showing when they first dropped? Are Daemons any good or is the book too limited? What about general "Chaos" - do they have a place in that?

The demon book looks good if for nothing else having the bloodletter bomb and nurglings to control the middle. There are a bunch of plaguebearer synergies that look pretty scary but ultimately fragile since it's all on characters to buff them. Splashing in a khone demon prince with that axe looks pretty loving good too. Otherwiswe I think the power of chaos is in the CSM book with alpha leigion cultists, oblits, and demon princes . It also seems much more forward.com than the imperium gunlines you are playing. I'm looking pretty hard at CSM cultist town next season since I think some princes and such with a million cultists is like assassintown but better.

Speaking of assassintown I'm all packed for LVO and am going to be out the door in an hour or so. PM me if you are in town and want to get a beer. I'll do my best. It's weird using my pack air when it's not filled to the brim with battlecompany or demon summoning models. Since I'm playing an exclusively infantry based army the whole thing takes up like a quarter of my big case.