Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Amechwarrior posted:

This is my favorite part of the pack:
https://gfycat.com/VeneratedImprobableBongo

The Stalker's arms are still rigged like a humanoid but are giant slabs that should be attached at the center.

I actually like flappy arms Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
a mech's arms shouldn't flail around for momentum while moving imo

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

One would assume, fluff-wise, it's more for balance than momentum.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Stop run-shaming me.

But yes, or if they did the forearms should remain level and locked forward like a tank cannon during a bump/jump as if the arm mounted weapons are tracking a target.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
'Mechs have muscles, tanks don't.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zaodai posted:

One would assume, fluff-wise, it's more for balance than momentum.

The barrels can stay mostly aligned while the rest of the arms move, but I would imagine that would be a far more challenging thing to code and model.

Arms moving while walking looks more natural than arms staying still, especially at speed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also most of the weapons are gimbaled so you could have some degree of arm movement while letting the actual weapon mounts in the arms still track.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Plus, you know, fantasy space robots.

gently caress, on the TT somehow you had mechs shooting lasers at each other across open terrain while each one was moving less than 100kph and you could still have a 50/50 chance to hit at literally dozens of meters. ENORMOUS amounts of fluff went into explaining why, exactly, fusion powered walking murder robots had worse targeting computers than 70s era cold war tanks.

That's not even getting into all the various missiles which were supposedly guided yet could miss entirely at ranges WELL under a kilometer and even if they hit like half of a given barrage could be reasonably expected to just slam into dirt rather than hitting the enemy. I'm pretty sure loving katayushas had better accuracy than that.

Something something heat something something gyros something neural interface something new dark ages something decline of tech something *handwave*

edit: BT is seriously right up there with star wars in the tech falling the gently caress apart if you look at it even slightly critically.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Taerkar posted:

The barrels can stay mostly aligned while the rest of the arms move, but I would imagine that would be a far more challenging thing to code and model.

Arms moving while walking looks more natural than arms staying still, especially at speed.

I meant actual physical balance while moving around not "it makes your guns miss more while moving" balance, if that's what you're talking about? I can't get your post to parse correctly in my head, which is probably just me being slow.

I like the arms moving while mechs walk. I was already saying in discord I'm going to be sad to see flappy bird Stalker go, as it makes the mech look less retarded to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Discussing realism in Battletech is a fools errand, I feel. We're just old now and have to overly analyze everything.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Flail, no. But the MC animations are still the gold standard AFAIC

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Flail, no. But the MC animations are still the gold standard AFAIC

Hell yeah, also the mechs balance and motor functions are set up and adjusted based on the neurohelmet and the feedback the human pilot's brain is passing on to it, so giant bipedal robots should walk like a human.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A lot of the "favorite" 'Mechs in the Inner Sphere that have completely garbage armaments make a lot more sense once you realize they're the ones best able to capture a human range of motion.

The stock Shadow Hawk is one of the worst medium 'Mechs ever designed but it's still everywhere and Mechwarriors love it because it's easy to pilot and has internal components tough enough to let it move and fight with minimal to no pre-battle maintenance after being half-buried in sand and/or submerged in salt water for 150+ years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

A lot of the "favorite" 'Mechs in the Inner Sphere that have completely garbage armaments make a lot more sense once you realize they're the ones best able to capture a human range of motion.

The stock Shadow Hawk is one of the worst medium 'Mechs ever designed but it's still everywhere and Mechwarriors love it because it's easy to pilot and has internal components tough enough to let it move and fight with minimal to no pre-battle maintenance after being half-buried in sand and/or submerged in salt water for 150+ years.

You also don't have to get into the middle of a brawl in order to use it, so if things start looking ugly, you can just walk away faster than almost every non light in the game.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Taerkar posted:

I am reading through PTN's Btech LP and I just hit the start of 2015, one thing that PTN mentioned around then is that even the torso mounted weapons can change their focus. Apparently they can by moved via myomer!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

I am reading through PTN's Btech LP and I just hit the start of 2015, one thing that PTN mentioned around then is that even the torso mounted weapons can change their focus. Apparently they can by moved via myomer!

Every weapon on a 'Mech can be independently targeted, or near-to. 'Mechs are in a weird position where they have a high ground speed but their reactions are fairly sluggish. Since most 'Mechs aren't particularly agile they have to compensate for it by giving even 'fixed' torso-mounted weapons a little traverse. Even obvious fixed weapons like the Hunchback's hunch create some extra airspace so the guts of the weapon can be wiggled around a little to help the DI Computer keep it pointed at the target moving faster than a 'Mech can torso twist. That's also why OmniMechs tend to mount most of the weapons in the arms, it's much easier for the DI Computer to calibrate them when the motion of the arm is a thing the computer is already compensating for.

The Wolfhound is semi-infamous for being the only 'Mech that doesn't have computer safeties to stop its torso lasers from shooting its own arms off when the torso lasers are tracking a moving target.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every weapon on a 'Mech can be independently targeted, or near-to. 'Mechs are in a weird position where they have a high ground speed but their reactions are fairly sluggish. Since most 'Mechs aren't particularly agile they have to compensate for it by giving even 'fixed' torso-mounted weapons a little traverse. Even obvious fixed weapons like the Hunchback's hunch create some extra airspace so the guts of the weapon can be wiggled around a little to help the DI Computer keep it pointed at the target moving faster than a 'Mech can torso twist. That's also why OmniMechs tend to mount most of the weapons in the arms, it's much easier for the DI Computer to calibrate them when the motion of the arm is a thing the computer is already compensating for.

The Wolfhound is semi-infamous for being the only 'Mech that doesn't have computer safeties to stop its torso lasers from shooting its own arms off when the torso lasers are tracking a moving target.

The torso mounted myomer weapon movement thing is just such a revelation to me after early MWO days where people would argue for and against weapon convergence on torso mounted weapons. In fact to this very day torso weapons don't converge! (May have changed I haven't touched that abomination in a long time.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Its... actually pretty good right now.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Didn't it actually have some sort of proto-melee via ramming in it early on? At least I seem remember that if you ran full-throttle right into another mech, you'd both take damage and possibly fall over.

It would also glitch the gently caress out of the netcode such that the fallen mech couldn't report its position properly because lol @ cryengine.

But yeah, running people over in an XL Dragon was the most fun ever.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
man I never got that the Shadow Hawk is the AK of the Battle Mechs, now I feel so much dumber for my younger SH hating self

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Nickiepoo posted:

Yeah, I was specifically wondering about all the melee focused mechs which never showed up in MWO for reasons of 'we can't put melee in our game'.

Can I hire some competent goons to make a melee inclusive robot action game? Here is my kickstarter pitch:

I gave this robot brass knuckles, this ugly bastard a mace, and this guy? He brought his quad bladed battleaxe for free.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

vorebane posted:

Can I hire some competent goons to make a melee inclusive robot action game? Here is my kickstarter pitch:

I gave this robot brass knuckles, this ugly bastard a mace, and this guy? He brought his quad bladed battleaxe for free.

... do it. It needs a modern update

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

OMF is obviously amazing. I liked OMF Battlegrounds, the 3d one, but I seem to remember it got panned.

Ok I'mma go harass the Brigadevs, and maybe Chris Roberts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus, you know, fantasy space robots.

gently caress, on the TT somehow you had mechs shooting lasers at each other across open terrain while each one was moving less than 100kph and you could still have a 50/50 chance to hit at literally dozens of meters. ENORMOUS amounts of fluff went into explaining why, exactly, fusion powered walking murder robots had worse targeting computers than 70s era cold war tanks.

That's not even getting into all the various missiles which were supposedly guided yet could miss entirely at ranges WELL under a kilometer and even if they hit like half of a given barrage could be reasonably expected to just slam into dirt rather than hitting the enemy. I'm pretty sure loving katayushas had better accuracy than that.

Something something heat something something gyros something neural interface something new dark ages something decline of tech something *handwave*

edit: BT is seriously right up there with star wars in the tech falling the gently caress apart if you look at it even slightly critically.

I've always interpreted the short ranges and inaccuracies as being the result of two main things fluff wise (gameplay convenience being the real reason):

1) A wide array of ECM and other defensive measures to mess with the targeting computers and other sensors.

2) The nature of the armor requiring precise hits or most of the energy/impact is wasted. Most "misses" just ineffectually glance off or do no real significant damage.

Zaodai posted:

I meant actual physical balance while moving around not "it makes your guns miss more while moving" balance, if that's what you're talking about? I can't get your post to parse correctly in my head, which is probably just me being slow.

I like the arms moving while mechs walk. I was already saying in discord I'm going to be sad to see flappy bird Stalker go, as it makes the mech look less retarded to me.

Yes, I meant physical balance, not gameplay for that.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

You can also go with 'we've been keeping this targeting computer from a different mech going with bubblegum and tinfoil' 'all my weapons are festooned about my mech's body and we don't have good enough tools to properly align them anymore' and 'I shoot my weapons one at a time so I don't miss with everything at once.' Not sure what the clans' excuse will be though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

vorebane posted:

You can also go with 'we've been keeping this targeting computer from a different mech going with bubblegum and tinfoil' 'all my weapons are festooned about my mech's body and we don't have good enough tools to properly align them anymore' and 'I shoot my weapons one at a time so I don't miss with everything at once.' Not sure what the clans' excuse will be though.

With targeting computers and pulse lasers, no excuses are necessary.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

vorebane posted:

OMF is obviously amazing. I liked OMF Battlegrounds, the 3d one, but I seem to remember it got panned.

Ok I'mma go harass the Brigadevs, and maybe Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts is very, very busy not making a different game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Then he clearly has the time.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Chris Roberts Presents : MechBattleWarriorTech 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skoll posted:

Chris Roberts Presents : MechBattleWarriorTech 2020

A persistent universe where you can branch your own gene seed off into a whole new clan!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clan Aspy Asp, it would be perfect.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

How do I embed gfycat .webms and resize them so I don't break the forum table?

Anyway here is some flying Stalker:

https://gfycat.com/AggravatingWindingFlicker

https://gfycat.com/HospitableBadCavy

If they get that COM death fall animation working and apply that to all the mechs the melee shots would feel much more impactful . I don't like how they stumble forever then slowly tip over from having 85t of chicken hawk flying in to them well after the attack animation is over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamn you are making me really regret not backing up my beta.

edit: on the up side I am going to be absolutely chomping at the bit when the game itself lands.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

How do I embed gfycat .webms and resize them so I don't break the forum table?

Anyway here is some flying Stalker:

https://gfycat.com/AggravatingWindingFlicker

https://gfycat.com/HospitableBadCavy

If they get that COM death fall animation working and apply that to all the mechs the melee shots would feel much more impactful . I don't like how they stumble forever then slowly tip over from having 85t of chicken hawk flying in to them well after the attack animation is over.

This Stalker is just the most adorable thing

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Xarbala posted:

This Stalker is just the most adorable thing

I love the flappy arms. I wonder if it posed an interesting challenge for HBS to get working properly. 90% of mechs can just use a default human skeleton for animation but the stalker and interesting the Jenner and Raven need unique skeletons.

It's a shame we can't tell the game to use the Jenners animation rig for the stalker, I bet that would deal with ol' flappy arms.

(Also, you can define the types of melee attacks that mechs can make, you should add right and left arm punches to the Stalkers list, I can't remember where it is defined. The Stalker punching with those wings would be great!)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I love the flappy arms. I wonder if it posed an interesting challenge for HBS to get working properly. 90% of mechs can just use a default human skeleton for animation but the stalker and interesting the Jenner and Raven need unique skeletons.

It's a shame we can't tell the game to use the Jenners animation rig for the stalker, I bet that would deal with ol' flappy arms.

(Also, you can define the types of melee attacks that mechs can make, you should add right and left arm punches to the Stalkers list, I can't remember where it is defined. The Stalker punching with those wings would be great!)

Yes, this thing is silly adorable and I love it. Check the previous page or two of this thread, I made a gyf for punching and stomping.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Get out of here Stalker.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I have been digging through old forum posts on the official forum, and there is a user curated thread that covers all the developer quotes, interviews and articles since announcement.

Can anyone who knows their Btech expand on this bit for me? The dev is talking about a want to include special equipable gear that can simulate granular customisation of a mech in exchange for trade-offs. The previously given examples were a piece of equipment that might make a mech harder to hit in a forest, but makes it detectable at a longer range. Something that obfuscates a detactable mechs size until you have direct los.

They start to talk about quirks and say the following:

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/3762/comments/65341 posted:

We have a plan to have 'Mech quirks - things that are similar to the design quirks in Strategic Operations but that may not map 1-to-1 with them.

What is Strategic Operations, and what sort of Quirks would you find in that book?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Strategic Operations is the BattleTech rulebook that includes campaign, maintenance, repair and refit rules, and rules for quirks. Quirks can be positive or negative, and include things like 'Mechs that are easier/harder to pilot, are more/less capable in melee than their actuators suggest, are good at shooting at aircraft, have an extra seat, etc.

Things that are *slightly* different from their construction stats without actually being constructed differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

Strategic Operations is the BattleTech rulebook that includes campaign, maintenance, repair and refit rules, and rules for quirks. Quirks can be positive or negative, and include things like 'Mechs that are easier/harder to pilot, are more/less capable in melee than their actuators suggest, are good at shooting at aircraft, have an extra seat, etc.

Things that are *slightly* different from their construction stats without actually being constructed differently.

Ok that is cool, it ties into other things they were saying. Equipping improved hand actuators for a slight increase in melee damage, or a tweaked Gyro that allows a slightly higher top speed in exchange for less stability.