Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I honestly don't mind a bit of anime titties, but holy hell, I can't think of a game where they're any more out of place than this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Ironically enough we got more people asking about the Omen Seeker just this past week than we have the Cataphract the entire time we were hyping it. She's not even a particularly creatively designed class and despite taking an ice pick to the style guide, this sort of thing seems like it's exactly what people want.

gamers are the worst

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Just kidding, it's this guy next:

If the ratio is two cool character mods for every mammary monster mod, I'll take it.

And if the artist wants to make big boobed characters, fine by me each to their own all that jazz. Just, reemphasising this:

Backhand posted:

holy hell, I can't think of a game where they're any more out of place than this one.

So for curious sake how does the Omen Seeker play MRH?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i for one am just fine with putting the babadook on your team

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

boobadook

:thinking:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

If the ratio is two cool character mods for every mammary monster mod, I'll take it.

And if the artist wants to make big boobed characters, fine by me each to their own all that jazz. Just, reemphasising this:

So for curious sake how does the Omen Seeker play MRH?

She's a hybrid damage dealer/debuffer. She's got below average damage, but nearly all of her abilities have debuff effects attached, like so:

She also has a stun, and a special skill that consums blights and bleeds for additional damage on targets.

Balancing that last one is a pain in the dick, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Expunge is cool, I'm playing for the first time right now and surprised there's nothing like that already in the game.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

Expunge is cool, I'm playing for the first time right now and surprised there's nothing like that already in the game.

That's kinda the great thing about darkest dungeon for mods, there are a shitload of mod classes and a fair lot of them actually do stuff mechanically that makes you go 'huh, that makes sense'

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

what are other cool ones? I'm on switch so can't mess with it anyways but one day I'm sure I'll rebuy it

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Ironically, Expunge isn't strong enough. You're spending three actions (one to blight, one to bleed, one to expunge) to deal 400% extra damage on a character with very low base numbers against a single target. The numbers might work out if you're using attacks with incidental DOTs like Hound's Rush or the Shieldbreaker's blights, but walking into a dungeon with a dedicated Expunge build doesn't work all that well at all. (which I'm honestly fine with).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

what are other cool ones? I'm on switch so can't mess with it anyways but one day I'm sure I'll rebuy it

The Falconer, Thrall and Lamia by Marvin Seo are all good, with the Falconer notably being like, an actual perfect match in style as well as interesting mechanically (lots of low damage AOE, mark synergy, accuracy debuffs, something like a mashup of houndmaster and arbalest)

I quite like the Librarian who is kind of an Antiquarian who gives you bonus xp instead of gold. Has almost no actual attacks but very minor buffs that can be stacked and an all-team heal that heals for almost nothing but gives a HoT effect. It has a skill that changes completely with a specific trinket, going from a debuff move to an AoE blight which is a neat idea. And every time she gets a move your party gets +5% Resolve XP from the dungeon.

Muscarine's class mods are all mechanically really unique but also THE MOST fetishy of all mods. Like,, ridiculously.

Exaelus' mods are more hit and miss, I quite like the Prodigy who has two stances (one where all attacks move him back and one where all attacks move him forward) and with only one specific move per place they can use, so they're always shuffling back and forth and repositioning your whole team. Has something of a combo oriented playstyle. The Scourge is all about blights, including self blights and Self-Blight The Entire Team moves.

Pit Fighter and Cannoneer are two more that just fit in really well, Pit Fighter isn't really that mechanically unique, just solid and has a great move insulting thy mother but Cannoneer is all about having to balance whether to do very low damage utility moves or take a turn off to Light The Fuse which gives a MASSIVE damage buff and accuracy down to go for heavy hits. Both fit very well in the artstyle, also.

There are several more classes I just kinda like (Ronin, Commissar, Harbinger, the dark souls class mods, a few others) and some more recent that I haven't played, though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

UberJew posted:

That's kinda the great thing about darkest dungeon for mods, there are a shitload of mod classes and a fair lot of them actually do stuff mechanically that makes you go 'huh, that makes sense'

This is definitely the case.

goferchan posted:

a different class does the Expunge thing; the Scourge, whose abilities focus around blighting himself and his allies and his enemies, then gathering it all up and putting it on a single target for large Dots. Another class called The Fury has a stance mechanic that only activates when he's below half health and allows him to chain attacks with an accuracy penalty. Multiple classes experiment with the idea of having faster transformations then the Abomination, relying on all possible skills, such as the Harbringer (who focuses on what can vaguely be called 'skill chains' where he cycles through 3 sets of abilities), or the Prodigy (who moves himself around to prepare for large damage after switching stances). The Seraph consumes marks for large amounts of damage, while the Cannoneer focuses on buffing himself repeatedly and then doing one massive attack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coolguye posted:

i for one am just fine with putting the babadook on your team

They should all take massive stress damage from the enormous back pain they all suffer.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've been thinking about downloading the Cannoneer files and reuploading them just so I can work back into it to give the guy some actual lore-appropriate barks. Or at least grammatically correct ones. :negative:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just beat my first 2 medium difficulty dungeons with no problems whatsoever, feeling pretty good right now ... I think I heard somewhere that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer, though

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest our Cataphract mod: he's a rank 1 healer and a rank 4 damage dealer, and a good alternative to the Vestal for Abomination parties.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235319270

We've also been brainstorming potential dungeon expansion mods; at the moment we're looking at either a carnival theme with a giant eldritch clown boss, or a treasure hoard with a Middle Eastern Golden Age style.

Not really sure how we're going to implement them atm. If Colour of Madness opens up options for custom dungeons then we'll do it that way, otherwise it'll probably just be something we tack on to the Weald or Warrens.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

zfleeman posted:

I kind of wish that all of the equipped trinkets would go back into the inventory after a mission. If one of my guys is taking a break that week, I don’t want to forget that he has a trinket that would be good for the next expedition that doesn’t involve him.

or maybe that resolves itself as I find more trinkets and there are plenty to go around

edit: just learned that on the Switch, you can unequip all trinkets from everybody by holding down "Y" in the trinkets screen.

On the PC there's a button in the trinket menu you can click to unequip all trinkets. You still have to remember to do it, but it's there.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
those designs are amazing and if you can't make a custom dungeon I'd at least love the chance to get to use that Strongman design as a partymember.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Agreed, those designs are great.

If custom dungeons aren't an option after CoM, could you possibly do something like the Town Invasion?

Guess other things off the top of my head that could maybe work (I don't mod so I don't know how possibly these are) would be; a curio interaction like the Shambler, a night time ambush like the Snakes, a Shrieker style mission, or wandering bosses like the Collector.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think there are a few “new sons” mods out there. A mountain, maybe?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
If my MAA has Double Vision, does that mean he sees normally? :thunk:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Equip him with two separate eye-patches and find out.

e:

Bogart posted:

I think there are a few “new sons” mods out there. A mountain, maybe?

I meant 'new zones' but I appreciate you all for not even mentioning it.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest our Cataphract mod: he's a rank 1 healer and a rank 4 damage dealer, and a good alternative to the Vestal for Abomination parties.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235319270

We've also been brainstorming potential dungeon expansion mods; at the moment we're looking at either a carnival theme with a giant eldritch clown boss, or a treasure hoard with a Middle Eastern Golden Age style.

Not really sure how we're going to implement them atm. If Colour of Madness opens up options for custom dungeons then we'll do it that way, otherwise it'll probably just be something we tack on to the Weald or Warrens.

Why not do both, many 17th and 18th century sideshows had this idea that these are from the "mysterious orient."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Ironically enough we got more people asking about the Omen Seeker just this past week than we have the Cataphract the entire time we were hyping it. She's not even a particularly creatively designed class and despite taking an ice pick to the style guide, this sort of thing seems like it's exactly what people want.

gamers are the worst

The slice of players that want these things tend to be very vocal about them.
Don't confuse that for actual popularity.

LordGugs posted:

Why not do both, many 17th and 18th century sideshows had this idea that these are from the "mysterious orient."

That sounds like a good idea
Mash them both in. Incorporate some Turkish designs into it, Turkey being a very common mainstay in Mythos fiction.

Also 17th/18th century Middle east is a vastly different beast than Golden Age ME, for more information check out the Mameluke and Ottoman empires for 17/18th and Abbassid for the Golden age. Cataphract is already a bit Alladin-ish (read: orientalist), what with all those onion domes in that comic. Which are much more a Mughal (Indian sub-continent) and South East Asia thing, Hemispherical domes are much, much more common in arabian/north african/more westerly Islamic architecture.

Aesthetics differed, and still differs, greatly in the Islamic/Arabic world, location and time period are a much more accurate signifier of those aesthetics than religion. They aren't that hard to research up either.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 27, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nerrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!

JBones
Aug 21, 2002
The difficulty *really* ramps up when you start running into I guess what could be called "tier 2" enemies. Bigger, badder versions of the normal skeletons, and some kind of winged demon dude really wrecked me.

I was running "the usual suspects" as my first party, and then a leper/bounty hunter/arbalest/vestal as my second party. Is there a better comp?

I feel like the game went from "barely manageable" to "haha jk go gently caress yourself" pretty fast. (Switch version, no expansions)

Any tips?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JBones posted:

The difficulty *really* ramps up when you start running into I guess what could be called "tier 2" enemies. Bigger, badder versions of the normal skeletons, and some kind of winged demon dude really wrecked me.

I was running "the usual suspects" as my first party, and then a leper/bounty hunter/arbalest/vestal as my second party. Is there a better comp?

I feel like the game went from "barely manageable" to "haha jk go gently caress yourself" pretty fast. (Switch version, no expansions)

Any tips?

You do not want to start tackling the level 3 missions as soon as you have level 3 characters. Recruit more dudes and keep running entry level missions with them in order to build up more upgrades for your town and roster, then tackle level 3 missions once you've got most of the upgrades you can get.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah you don't want to be running a veteran level mission unless everyone has maxed out their equipment and skills (not necessarily all their skills, but definitely the ones you want to use). If you don't have the blacksmith / guild upgraded enough to do that, give your level 3 guys a break and run some more apprentice levels with other parties. The upgrade that expands your barracks size is very important for this.

Try to get away from the idea that you have specific parties of people that always run together. Different areas and bosses will require different setups, while both of what you named are fine balanced parties, swapping other people into different slots is very important. For example, that second party would be very inadvisable vs. the hag, but swap a hellion in for that leper and that's a primo hag gibbin' setup.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on my Switch runthrough had my party all at lvl 3 armor, lvl 2 weapons. went up against Necromancer with Vestal/Doctor/Houndman/Leper and was surprised at how easy it was chopping down his skellytens and just dripfeeding his health down with Blight/Bleeds. I hadn't played in a long time so I forgot what the Necromancer even did but suffice to say I was more than prepared.

I seem to remember the Hag being the one that I always hated though--that's the one you shouldn't bring Leper and Crusader to, right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah, you need damage projection into R4 for the Hag, and the Leper and Crusader are not ideal

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Switch boy, here.

I lost all of my level 4 characters to a random encounter with a blue floating skull guy over the weekend. He kept spawning horrible mimics of my characters. I killed him, but I lacked any damage output to kill his spawned friends, and they wiped all but one of my party.

Definitely a low point, but luckily on week 24, my level 4 healer was respawned thanks to a town event. Does this happen on week 24 every playthrough?

One of my replacement people the next week was a Jester. What's the point of this character? I hardly understand his moves. What is this "Finale" thing that is talked about in all of his tooltips?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

zfleeman posted:

One of my replacement people the next week was a Jester. What's the point of this character? I hardly understand his moves. What is this "Finale" thing that is talked about in all of his tooltips?

The jester is good at telling jokes, but his only joke is on you if you bring him in your party.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

zfleeman posted:

Switch boy, here.

I lost all of my level 4 characters to a random encounter with a blue floating skull guy over the weekend. He kept spawning horrible mimics of my characters. I killed him, but I lacked any damage output to kill his spawned friends, and they wiped all but one of my party.

Definitely a low point, but luckily on week 24, my level 4 healer was respawned thanks to a town event. Does this happen on week 24 every playthrough?

that town event must be new because I was just as shocked when it happened to me.

Jester has long been derided as deadweight due to nothing he does really eclipsing what someone else could do in his spot. Finale is good but it's one attack and the cons outweigh the pros. if you need bleed damage that bad you could always use Hellion/Houndmaster/Highwayman. His support skill Battle Ballad is nice but imo ManAtArms is better to use for party buffs. I have a Jester right now since he was one of the first heroes off the cart but when he's dead, I'm not gonna go out of my way to recruit another.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I haven't yet tried this myself but if I were to send a stressed out party on some Long mission, even one way above their level, but sell all the starting gear except the wood and camp twice in the starting location, wouldn't I come out ahead on stress reduced and diseases cured for basically free?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Bro. posted:

I haven't yet tried this myself but if I were to send a stressed out party on some Long mission, even one way above their level, but sell all the starting gear except the wood and camp twice in the starting location, wouldn't I come out ahead on stress reduced and diseases cured for basically free?

failing a mission incurs a sizable stress penalty (on top of a more sizable stress penalty for starting a higher level mission) and an increased chance for negative quirks, so you'd end up at best neutral on stress and trading diseases, which are relatively cheap to cure, for quirks that are much more expensive

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Jester has some decent buffs, average damage skills, and final, which hurts a lot, and get more powerful if the Jester played music before. It super debuf him for a couple of rounds afterward, though, so beware.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm probably just going to drop this dude after reading all the Jester feedback.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

give him time, i'm sure he'll grow on you

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Baby steps and all since I'm at the very beginning of the game, but I took in a small party to a short dungeon and just as I began it I realized I hadn't bought a single torch. "gently caress it," I said figuring I'd just retreat worst comes to worst but it was a pity since I'd risk losing my only PD and Graverobber (they went with a Flagellant, great broken? class, and a shieldbreaker one of my favorite classes even I can't get their movement tricks to be of any real use to me) if they were to get quickly overwhelmed. Not only did I beat the drat quest I had my lowest levels of stress yet... It's like the game's tempting me to over-reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

zfleeman posted:

Switch boy, here.

Something I didn't figure out until later, you can try to run away from a fight by clicking the right stick.

I guess while I'm at it, some other things that took me way too long to figure out:

You can change your guys' skills in the dungeon, just press Y

While in the dungeon, the yellow marker underneath one of your guys indicates they are selected, and so if you use a bandage, it will be applied to that person. It also means that person will be the one to disarm traps and inspect curios. If you have an antiquarian in your party, make sure she's the one selected when you inspect curios, she will find extra valuables to sell.

If you hold down LZ you can select stuff and get stats on it, like how much bleed damage that pigman will take each turn, etc. Comes in handy when you're trying to economize your moves.

The more I play, the more little basic things like this I find.