Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Franks biggest weakness is he will almost never hurt a guilty cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Ghost rider and moon knight should be featured in the existing marvel shows first, like punisher would.

Midnight sons would probably take at least 3 full seasons for each character to build up to properly

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Billzasilver posted:

Ghost rider and moon knight should be featured in the existing marvel shows first, like punisher would.

Midnight sons would probably take at least 3 full seasons for each character to build up to properly

LoL it sounds like you already write for these people.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raserys posted:

imo the castlevania series was kinda poo poo

I liked it, so, whatever.

Halloween Jack posted:

There was a pilot based on Global Frequency, but it was never picked up. I haven't seen it myself.

Saw it. Have it on hand. Could have been an amazing ensemble show (as only two of the main cast, Miranda, and Aleph, stay the same), and they could shoot it wherever was cheap, as there's no geographical limitation on where the Frequency reaches. Just wished the leaked copy was better quality. Pretty much a direct copy of Bombhead with some minor changes. (One of which was going to be two more regular characters with a random/as needed support staff.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes, but he still murders a lot of people.

But, as per Frank's perception, the definition of people isn't the same as yours.

He's just putting down rabid animals...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Ghostrider is fun but you kind of have to make him his own, new thing in any show or movie because he’s arguably one of the 5 most powerful Marvel characters and the scope of his abilities is just barely understood but he’s pretty much as S-Tier as you can get.

(He lost to the Punisher because his main attack, Penance Stare, didn’t work on Frank because he literally feels no remorse for the murders he’s committed)

Which is weird, because it's supposedly based on the sins you've committed. Not if you feel bad about it. I mean, fair enough if it doesn't work on some aliens because they're totally different from humans or whatever like the Symbiotes are but it not working on him just because he doesn't feel bad about it feels like a bit of a weird :jerkbag: cop out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

That's dumb, because most characters in comics have no remorse, especially the evil ones.

RareAcumen posted:

Which is weird, because it's supposedly based on the sins you've committed. Not if you feel bad about it. I mean, fair enough if it doesn't work on some aliens because they're totally different from humans or whatever like the Symbiotes are but it not working on him just because he doesn't feel bad about it feels like a bit of a weird :jerkbag: cop out.

Every comics writer who comes up with this kind of swerve thinks they're clever as poo poo and it's always exactly that dumb. There was a similar sequence where Doctor Doom defeated the Panther God that guards Wakanda by proving to it that he would use the power better than the current Black Panther... by his own moral standards. Like oh yeah, the man whose photo is in the dictionary next to "arrogance" thinks he deserves to rule over all others? Huh, well you can't argue with that, come on in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Pretty much any attempt to get me to admire Doom in any way falls completely flat, whether it's delivering the Richards' baby or killing a lion with his bare hands or being a proud Latverian nationalist...it's okay for him to just be a completely insane person who is also powerful and talented and a warped code of morality. That's a good villain.

Samizdata posted:

Saw it. Have it on hand. Could have been an amazing ensemble show (as only two of the main cast, Miranda, and Aleph, stay the same), and they could shoot it wherever was cheap, as there's no geographical limitation on where the Frequency reaches. Just wished the leaked copy was better quality. Pretty much a direct copy of Bombhead with some minor changes. (One of which was going to be two more regular characters with a random/as needed support staff.)
I feel like it must have been ahead of its time; people who like Torchwood and like, Mr. Robot would probably dig it.

Billzasilver posted:

Franks biggest weakness is he will almost never hurt a guilty cop
Ennis did a story arc where Frank kills off a bunch of not-Enron executives. If you followed that to its logical conclusion you could have Frank basically killing his way through the military-industrial complex.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
edit:dp

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

McSpanky posted:

There was a similar sequence where Doctor Doom defeated the Panther God that guards Wakanda by proving to it that he would use the power better than the current Black Panther... by his own moral standards.

This wasn't quite what happened. The Panther God (who calls himself Bast here) was supposed to determine if someone's soul was pure. He got past Bast because Doom truly believed that a world under Doom is the only way humanity can survive long-term.

It was still just as much of a dumb cop-out as you describe - I don't think having good intentions can keep one's soul pure through dark deeds, particularly in the context of Egyptian mythology. Plus it ignores a bunch of stuff from Doom's past, and at the start of the challenge it was testing a soul's purity, then it became testing the purity of a person's intent, which aren't at all the same thing.

I hated Doomwar. And I say that as a big fan of Doctor Doom.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dr. Doom is such an awesome character but he has some of the very worst plotlines in across either Marvel//DC universe

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bust Rodd posted:

Dr. Doom is such an awesome character but he has some of the very worst plotlines in across either Marvel//DC universe

That he's still one the best Marvel characters going despite the crappiness of his plotlines is a testament to his strength as a character.

Which is why it's so puzzling that they keep loving him up in all the FF movies. :doh:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Ennis did a story arc where Frank kills off a bunch of not-Enron executives. If you followed that to its logical conclusion you could have Frank basically killing his way through the military-industrial complex.

Yeah I know, but he very specifically won’t hurt any cops

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

jng2058 posted:

Which is why it's so puzzling that they keep loving him up in all the FF movies. :doh:

His coolness as a character aside, he's literally a green and grey Iron Man with magic and also evil. Too similar for the fresh, hip, new ideas from. FOX. Y'all see that Galactus? Homeboy was tiiiiiight.

Now that Disney/Marvel is gonna have the rights back, though...

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

FF shouldn’t even have doom anywhere near their origin story

Marvel did Season One books a few years ago to update all the origin stories, it was great. FF go into space, then they fight mole man, then they fight sexy hobo misogynist namor. And that was plenty.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

His coolness as a character aside, he's literally a green and grey Iron Man with magic and also evil. Too similar for the fresh, hip, new ideas from. FOX. Y'all see that Galactus? Homeboy was tiiiiiight.

Now that Disney/Marvel is gonna have the rights back, though...

Noah Hawley said his solo Dr Doom film was still in the works at SDCC, and after what he did with Legion, Im excited.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Doom is great but there's kind of only one Doom story going back 50 years: Doom hatches brilliant evil scheme, heroes fail to defeat him directly, is undone by his own hubris, escapes via careful contingency/Doombot.

But they still haven't even manged to get that on film properly so :shrug:.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah I know, but he very specifically won’t hurt any cops
Ever? Like, I just read a comic where the super team goes investigate a mosque bombing and found out it was the sheriff that did it. The building was empty, but if there had been some people in there by chance and they'd died, Punisher wouldn't go after that sheriff just because he was a cop?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Galvanik posted:

Ever? Like, I just read a comic where the super team goes investigate a mosque bombing and found out it was the sheriff that did it. The building was empty, but if there had been some people in there by chance and they'd died, Punisher wouldn't go after that sheriff just because he was a cop?

I think they explained this earlier in the thread, but the Punisher avoids killing cops not because of some moral code but because he knows he wouldn't survive the heat he'd get for being a cop killer. And that's what he'd be regardless of how justified he is in doing so.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like it must have been ahead of its time; people who like Torchwood and like, Mr. Robot would probably dig it.

Could be. It had an intriguing hook though for audience immersion. If you were good enough at what you do, then, one day, a person will come up to you with a fancy phone and tell you that you are now on the Global Frequency. (It's not like you get shot in the head if you say no.) Now, I can't be immortal like Jack or the uber-hacker that is Elliot. But, potentially I could be good enough at something to be on the Frequency.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Every comics writer who comes up with this kind of swerve thinks they're clever as poo poo and it's always exactly that dumb. There was a similar sequence where Doctor Doom defeated the Panther God that guards Wakanda by proving to it that he would use the power better than the current Black Panther... by his own moral standards. Like oh yeah, the man whose photo is in the dictionary next to "arrogance" thinks he deserves to rule over all others? Huh, well you can't argue with that, come on in.

That's literally a red dwarf gag. The crew are judged on their sins by a copy of themselves - so of course the vain Cat and the cringing weasel Rimmer pass with flying colours.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Doom is great but there's kind of only one Doom story going back 50 years: Doom hatches brilliant evil scheme, heroes fail to defeat him directly, is undone by his own hubris, escapes via careful contingency/Doombot.

But they still haven't even manged to get that on film properly so :shrug:.

doom's recent comic story was really good. he's been trying to learn how to be a good person, but he's just sort of not very good at it. it's kinda cute :)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want Dr. Doom taking stock and trying to better himself. He's Dr. Doom. He's a megalomaniacal narcissist who thought it was a good idea to mix science with magic to try and reach into Hell to get his mom. He's the guy who could have been the greatest Sorcerer Supreme ever but the Ancient One was all "no, you evil." He's the guy who sincerely believes he's the impoverished people of his third world country's lives better by shooting proverbial nukes all over the place. He's Dr. Doom. Sometimes he might rescue a kitty from a tree or deliver a breached baby because he's not a psychopath or anything, but he knows what he wants and that's total and complete power and domination.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh hey Daredevil news, Joanne Whalley was announced as playing Sister Maggie in DD S3

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't want Dr. Doom taking stock and trying to better himself. He's Dr. Doom. He's a megalomaniacal narcissist who thought it was a good idea to mix science with magic to try and reach into Hell to get his mom. He's the guy who could have been the greatest Sorcerer Supreme ever but the Ancient One was all "no, you evil." He's the guy who sincerely believes he's the impoverished people of his third world country's lives better by shooting proverbial nukes all over the place. He's Dr. Doom. Sometimes he might rescue a kitty from a tree or deliver a breached baby because he's not a psychopath or anything, but he knows what he wants and that's total and complete power and domination.

He's the guy who's willing to clothe himself in the skin of the only woman he's ever loved for a +2 to his spellcasting rolls but he still sheds a tear when he thinks about 9/11.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's the guy who's willing to clothe himself in the skin of the only woman he's ever loved for a +2 to his spellcasting rolls but he still sheds a tear when he thinks about 9/11.

As a general rule, comic book stories that start with the idea of "Fans of this thing like it WRONG! I'll show them all!" are pretty bad and dumb.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The charred look they gave Ghost Rider in Spirits of Vengeance was so perfect that the AoS GR looked too cartoony in comparison

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Johnny Blaze and Robbie Reyes also look different in their comic book incarnations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

No the new Doom is awesome as gently caress in his Iron Man armor, and it really fits well with his complete failure as God Doom(such a badass design) in Secret Wars by Hickman. It an incredible change of pace for the character and refreshing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Davros1 posted:

The charred look they gave Ghost Rider in Spirits of Vengeance was so perfect that the AoS GR looked too cartoony in comparison

To be fair, this is what the AoS Ghost Rider looks like in the comics.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

New JJ trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s looks like they're changing up Jessica's origin a tiny bit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm completely JJ ignorant, does she have any major female villains?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wooooo. Janet McTeer being in this season is what I'm most excited about.

(Shame she's not a regular, so she's probably not playing the season's villain. Booooo!)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm completely JJ ignorant, does she have any major female villains?

In the comics, she doesn't really have any villains. Purple Man is mainly a Daredevil villain, he was just used for the one comic where JJ (Jewel as she's known in the comics) tangled with him. That's the only real Jewel-focused comic there's been, and it's what JJS1 was adapted from.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

biracial bear for uncut posted:

To be fair, this is what the AoS Ghost Rider looks like in the comics.

I know, but I really liked the texture on the SoV GR

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's probably the difference in being an actual Spirit of Vengeance (SoV Ghost Rider) vs. just being in a weird spirit bind with the soul of an evil serial killer (Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The ghost rider movie was poo poo but they nailed the look and feel of the transformed ghost rider. I loved all the smoke and fire and burned stuffs

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Aren’t they doing some version of Typhoid Mary this season?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So since you guys actually seem to know Marvel- enough to say yeah, they had to do Ghost Rider this way, because otherwise it just solves every problem because it's so powerful- can anyone give me a quick synopsis on Black Panther? Far as I know, he's a better Captain America and his armor is the goddamn poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Aren’t they doing some version of Typhoid Mary this season?

That's consistently been the speculation, but I don't think there's been any actual evidence one way or the other.

Again, JJ in the comics doesn't have any villains of her own, she just shares threats with Daredevil and Luke Cage, so the door's wide open or she might be dealing with someone new.

On the other hand, looks like we'll be seeing Hellcat proper.

RareAcumen posted:

So since you guys actually seem to know Marvel- enough to say yeah, they had to do Ghost Rider this way, because otherwise it just solves every problem because it's so powerful- can anyone give me a quick synopsis on Black Panther? Far as I know, he's a better Captain America and his armor is the goddamn poo poo.

Except rather than being from a magic formula, Black Panther's superhuman powers are a mix of magic and high tech - the magic in the movie adaptation looks to be from the Soul Stone. He's the king of a secretive, sci-fi tech African nation whose kings can commune with a magical panther spirit who bestows its powers upon this nation's kings. With the death of his father, the new guy has inherited the mantle and powers of the Black Panther, the sacred protector of his kingdom and people.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 7, 2018