Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Question time!

Would it be feasible to write laws around having to make programs secure, similar to food/fire safety laws?

The biggest hurdle obviously would be the speed that technology moves vs. the speed of government. But I'd like some discussion on how it could be/could not be done, and what could it look like? Please no "I don't want the government to do that," or "they'd just gently caress it up and make poo poo worse"

Potentially, it would have to be enforced differently and the laws wouldn't work exactly the same.

But also no because computer stuff is a magical mystery tour for most people, including people who would draw up the laws and decide how it would be enforced. And the consultant experts who they'd bring in would have it in their interests to make it impossible to do this because it would affect ~operating margins~ too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Oh and also it works in the govt's interest to have insecure software that isn't publicly disclosed because they get to use them.

Until someone else leaks their exploits and uses them:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/13/wannacrypt_ransomware_worm/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cloutboyjojo/status/955666868739682304

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Potentially, it would have to be enforced differently and the laws wouldn't work exactly the same.

But also no because computer stuff is a magical mystery tour for most people, including people who would draw up the laws and decide how it would be enforced. And the consultant experts who they'd bring in would have it in their interests to make it impossible to do this because it would affect ~operating margins~ too much

the law would just say "software has to be secure" and there would be an FDA equivalent w/ subject matter experts for determining what constitutes secure.

the reality is its kind of a stupid idea because theres no possible way they could get enough people to survey all the code. A better idea is to penalize the results of bad security. Basically take hipaa and apply it to all personal data stored anywhere in any form. You can adjust the penalties as needed over time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hippa is like 25% of why all medical software everywhere in every way sucks

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Ehhhhh. HIPPA is like SOX: IT uses it to justify what they wanted to do and to shut down the possibility of complaining about it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The other 75% is because the poo poo doesn't get supported by an on-site development team like it's supposed to to make the software conform to the environment, rather than forcing medical personnel to conform to the software.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

idk where you're getting that from. hipaa doesn't do anything more than tell you not to send PHI insecurely or give access to unauthorized parties.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

hipaa is also pretty useless as anyone who says they comply, don't

same as pci really

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's not the point. the point is if they do fail to secure data and something happens they're liable for it. if the government fails to enforce penalties that's on them but its a fine framework for discouraging the most egregious problems.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lysidas posted:

long ago i put a decent amount of effort into reducing the english alphabet into a version that could not encode any common profanity, i think with 0-9 and a subset of A-Z i ended up with 29 characters, to map integer database PKs to short strings and make sure that "gently caress" would not be one of them

oh also doing some redundancy/error correction, like not using B because it oculd be mistaken for a 8, S with 5, etc

e: maybe 29 before error correction, definitely 25 after

the pwgen command has a no-accidental-cursewords feature but all it does is remove all the vowels because who cares that much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Ehhhhh. HIPPA is like SOX: IT uses it to justify what they wanted to do and to shut down the possibility of complaining about it.

when we had to start complying with PCI audits here I definitely used that as leverage to make our security practices go from "abysmal" to "just regular bad" so that's good i guess

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the law would just say "software has to be secure" and there would be an FDA equivalent w/ subject matter experts for determining what constitutes secure.

the reality is its kind of a stupid idea because theres no possible way they could get enough people to survey all the code. A better idea is to penalize the results of bad security. Basically take hipaa and apply it to all personal data stored anywhere in any form. You can adjust the penalties as needed over time.

britain has the data protection law which is enforced by a toothless org which fines you like £5 if your website leaks unsecured password information

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

when we had to start complying with PCI audits here I definitely used that as leverage to make our security practices go from "abysmal" to "just regular bad" so that's good i guess

for us it was "make sure we can prove we aren't storing CC data anywhere" which I think is also good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
HIPAA is a lot like PCI: Its to cover the asses of the middle man and make sure the blame for leaks falls on others.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the middlemen have generally always been better than the endpoints at security. providers are the worst by far and if hipaa provides a formalized process to prove the provider hosed up then that's great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

this doesn't disprove anything i said

CommieGIR posted:

HIPAA is a lot like PCI: Its to cover the asses of the middle man and make sure the blame for leaks falls on others.

nor this

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The other 75% is because the poo poo doesn't get supported by an on-site development team like it's supposed to to make the software conform to the environment, rather than forcing medical personnel to conform to the software.

nor this

current state of medical software: sucking hard, leaking like a sieve
don't copy medical software's badness

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

this doesn't disprove anything i said

nor this

nor this

current state of medical software: sucking hard, leaking like a sieve
don't copy medical software's badness

....it wasn't intended to disprove anything you said? :psyduck:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
medical software being bad has absolutely nothing to do with hipaa beyond hipaa can point out ways in which it is bad. hipaa doesn't create the problems though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

....it wasn't intended to disprove anything you said? :psyduck:

yeah, sure. other peeps sure seemed like it tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless its like "this software asks for a username and password now! this is bullshit!" which ok yes hipaa might have caused that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

for us it was "make sure we can prove we aren't storing CC data anywhere" which I think is also good.

my favorite thing so far is when i asked why we don't pay for slack or run our own slack server and was told "well this way the messages automatically become inaccessible after a certain amount of time due to the usage limits" and i'm like "they're still there you just can't see them without paying" and was told "yeah but the auditors can't see them so they don't exist :downs:"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my favorite thing so far is when i asked why we don't pay for slack or run our own slack server and was told "well this way the messages automatically become inaccessible after a certain amount of time due to the usage limits" and i'm like "they're still there you just can't see them without paying" and was told "yeah but the auditors can't see them so they don't exist :downs:"

lmao we have the opposite problem, we don't pay for slack and use it to discuss everything important with the it so there basically is no paper trail because are programmers are imbeciles who find email to be too difficult to operate

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

yeah, sure. other peeps sure seemed like it tho

No, I was pretty much on board. Programmers make something generic due to HIPAA, and it sucks because they don't want to get fancy and accidentally violate it. Then it continues to suck because it doesn't get continuing support in the field.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol that rules.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

the slack admin can request an archive of those messages without paying, you just can't see them inside of the slack

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm pretty sure this still counts as a sec fuckup: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...097e_story.html

quote:

After his arrest last Jan. 31, Wertkin returned to Washington to clean out his Akin Gump office near Dupont Circle, where he removed and destroyed electronic and paper copies of other stolen cases “that I knew could further incriminate me,” he said in plea papers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm pretty sure this still counts as a sec fuckup: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...097e_story.html

He announced at his arrest "My life is over"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

No, I was pretty much on board. Programmers make something generic due to HIPAA, and it sucks because they don't want to get fancy and accidentally violate it. Then it continues to suck because it doesn't get continuing support in the field.

Isn't the problem with hipaa and software that once the software is "hipaa compliant" you can no longer change it without having to get it "re-certified" which costs real money. Thus the software is never touched again and has to run on windows 95/ie6 or whatever.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Isn't the problem with hipaa and software that once the software is "hipaa compliant" you can no longer change it without having to get it "re-certified" which costs real money. Thus the software is never touched again and has to run on windows 95/ie6 or whatever.

It might be, but I've read in the Nursing thread, and a couple hospitals do have actual teams constantly working on their implementation of EPIC. :shrug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

i'm pretty sure hipaa isn't prescriptive and that you're thinking of fips certification

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i'm pretty sure hipaa isn't prescriptive and that you're thinking of fips certification

Yeah, for HIPPA and PCI, you're required to undergo periodic audits to validate compliance. Software falls under those audits. There's no requirement to "certify" each patch or upgrade at the time of development. You only have to certify compliance for stuff that's actively in use at audit time.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

government has this problem, but the certifications expire after a while so this problem can only slow things down rather than halting them forever

also, they don't actually care how much the software changes. what they care about is how much the version number changes. as long as you don't bump the major version #, you can change pretty much anything and not trigger re-certification

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anthonypants posted:

ugh loving FIPS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this isn't true. theres no such thing as hipaa certification.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quote:

Dutch agencies provide crucial intel about Russia's interference in US-elections

It's the summer of 2014. A hacker from the Dutch intelligence agency AIVD has penetrated the computer network of a university building next to the Red Square in Moscow, oblivious to the implications. But one year later, from the AIVD headquarters in Zoetermeer, he and his colleagues are witness to Russian hackers launching an attack on the Democratic Party in the United States. The AIVD hackers had not infiltrated just any building; they were in the computer network of the infamous Russian hacker group Cozy Bear. And unbeknownst to the Russians, they could see everything.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/media/dutch-agencies-provide-crucial-intel-about-russia-s-interference-in-us-elections~a4561913/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
according to this article, the dutch saw the russians phishing the us state department in november (what year?), and they told the nsa, and the nsa and fbi responded within 24 hours? and then the state department took down their email servers "for a whole weekend in order to upgrade the security"

then they describe what a phishing attack is, then they talk about what the dutch and american hacker teams do. besides, i don't even remember any big news coming from state department emails. there were the emails on hillary's personal server, which wasn't at the state department, and there was the podesta emails, who also didn't work for the state department. seems like this has less to do with the us election than russia's facebook spend

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol this is literally routine poo poo that we do to other country's elections but now it happens to us and waa-waa-waa

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

this isn't true. theres no such thing as hipaa certification.

there is such a thing as falling for scammy companies that will you sell you it, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

ugh loving FIPS

FIPS mode? FIPS mode is the greatest loving sucks

• Locked thread