Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"DACA-aged". Nice weasel words, fucko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm learning new things about the depths of depravity that representatives in my state will stoop to:

Is he up for re-election this year? Who's his most likely opponent and where can I donate to them?

God it infuriates me to no end that people like this hold public office.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
At least the quickly-done horse graphic doesn't have an erect penis

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a white republican running on an anti-hispanic platform

...in arizona?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Someday we are going to see a Congressman Goku, maybe even a Senator Goku.

Sen Goku

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm learning new things about the depths of depravity that representatives in my state will stoop to:

Ugh

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Republicans posted:

Is he up for re-election this year? Who's his most likely opponent and where can I donate to them?

I'll find out on Saturday, there's three candidates, any viable ones will be at the State Committee meeting.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

R-AL

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Republicans posted:

He's a rep so hes up this year, but who knows how hardcore gerrymandered his district is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Feldegast42 posted:

He's a rep so hes up this year, but who knows how hardcore gerrymandered his district is.

It's R+21. Not gonna happen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Feldegast42 posted:

Last election was +40 R

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
That lady in Wisconsin just took a strong R district and a loving DSA guy took out the R speaker in Virginia, they should at least try.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Its worth it to help with turnout for the Gubernatorial election.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is that horse on a skateboard? What's going on with that graphic?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everything about that thing is bad, but that's an actual "Trojan Horse". A big fake horse wheeled in.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

I just saw a video where JP "debunks" white privilege, and holy poo poo, I can't believe anyone would be convinced by it. It was a 10 minute rant where he actually addresses the subject for ony 2 mins. One of his arguments is that if white privilege exists because Whites are majority, then it's actually majority privilege, which is the result of living in any culture and says what's the point of building a culture if you can't gain any benefits from it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's what always pisses me off when peterson fans try to pretend he's one of the good ones and isn't anti-woman or white nationalist. as a white american i feel more kinship with a black american or hispanic american than i do say a white briton. those people are my culture not some nebulous "white culture" (a thing that doesn't exist).

plus how could a philosophy professor be unaware of the concept of tyranny of the majority, i assume he's read mill. or for people so supposedly obsessed with classical culture you'd think they'd have heard of ochlocracy.

I don't want to derail, but he's actually making the point that the tyranny of the majority is often mislabeled as white privilege in the scholarship, which he argues also often uses questionable methodology.

Here is his position on white privilege more put more concisely if you are curious:

THE DARK PROFESSOR posted:

I think the idea of white privilege is absolutely reprehensible, and it's not because white people aren't privileged. You know, we have all sorts of privileges, and most people have privileges of all sorts, and you should be grateful for your privileges and work to deserve them, I would say. But, the idea that you can target an ethnic group with a collective crime, regardless of the specific innocence or guilt of the constituent elements of that group, there is absolutely nothing that's more racist than that. It's absolutely abhorrent.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kubrick posted:

Here is his position on white privilege more put more concisely if you are curious:

I mean it's still a dumb position, because it doesn't understand gradient scales or intersectionality, and is couched in :qq:ing about mean academics being racist against white people.

He's implicitly reaching for the old "are poor coal miners really privileged next to rich black athletes?" chestnut (to offer an example of how this argument is often framed), which ignores that being rich, while it affords them privileges, doesn't render them safe from the racial hierarchies in America, nor does poverty mean that white people are completely shut out of social mobility in the way it does for racial minorities in most cases.

It's arguable that as wealth inequality worsens and social mobility erodes completely, poor white people will have less and less privilege, but again, it's not an either-or concept.

It also is flatly wrong in the idea that an ethnic group can't collectively be responsible for establishing a power hierarchy over another and benefiting from it over generations. We live in a country built by chattel slaves on a mountain of Native corpses and white people more or less haven't done a drat thing to address that reality for several centuries, you bet you're rear end we're loving responsible for that on some level.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's still a dumb position, because it doesn't understand gradient scales or intersectionality, and is couched in :qq:ing about mean academics being racist against white people.

He's implicitly reaching for the old "are poor coal miners really privileged next to rich black athletes?" chestnut (to offer an example of how this argument is often framed), which ignores that being rich, while it affords them privileges, doesn't render them safe from the racial hierarchies in America, nor does poverty mean that white people are completely shut out of social mobility in the way it does for racial minorities in most cases.

It's arguable that as wealth inequality worsens and social mobility erodes completely, poor white people will have less and less privilege, but again, it's not an either-or concept.

I don't want to be rude, but words like "couched" and "implicitly" make me think you are reading too much of your own biases into his arguments. I've noticed that he frequently gets ideas projected on to him that he does not hold. He doesn't deny that racism exists or the wealth of statistics on racial inequity. He's against the idea of applying such a complicated and multifaceted concept such as privilege to an entire race, and thinks it's being used as a tool to stoke racial divisiveness.

quote:

It also is flatly wrong in the idea that an ethnic group can't collectively be responsible for establishing a power hierarchy over another and benefiting from it over generations. We live in a country built by chattel slaves on a mountain of Native corpses and white people more or less haven't done a drat thing to address that reality for several centuries, you bet you're rear end we're loving responsible for that on some level.

I agree with him that establishing blame on a racial level leads down a dangerous road. We have seen the death and destruction it has caused in the past, and how quickly it can be used by power hungry people to twist resentment into genocide. It is dangerous talk, no matter how benign it sounds at the moment.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Edit: gently caress it this argument is dumb.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 25, 2018

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, he's trying to argue with Sociology 101 level concepts and his argument boils down to "not all white people." I'm not reading too much into his garbage because this isn't happening in a vacuum and he's far from the first obnoxious rear end in a top hat to complain about academic concepts or assert that they have no merit despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, nor is his argument particularly novel.

Even if that is what he's arguing, it's still asinine. For starters, we can talk about how whiteness itself is a social construct, and explicitly something that exists to establish an in-group/out-group dynamic and exclude those who are not part of the in-group. Again, you can say "well not all white people" but that isn't really relevant, we're talking about aggregates and trends and also the simpler reality that the wealth of white America is largely built on resources and labor extracted from non-white peoples who were expressly subjugated to establish the current order.

This is pretty clear because you are making up entire arguments that he is not making. You don't have to actually read or listen to the guy if you don't want to, but you might want to think about doing some legwork if you are going to say he's all bullshit.

quote:

It's not "a dangerous road," it's a statement of fact. Do I need to get a textbook for you, are you not familiar with what colonialism is or how human history went down since 1492? To be clear, a world dominated by white Europeans wasn't inevitable, and in that sense yes, it's not inherently "white" privilege. But we happen to live in the timeline where white Europeans did conquer and poo poo on everyone so this is what we've got.

Are you saying that it was bad to do in the past, but fine to do now? Should everyone get to take turns? I don't really want an answer because I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

quote:

It is hilarious that the guy who is :qq:ing about not all white people thinks it's the mean academics stoking racial divisiveness and not the loving fascists who control every branch of government though.

He's not American...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kubrick posted:

This is pretty clear because you are making up entire arguments that he is not making. You don't have to actually read or listen to the guy if you don't want to, but you might want to think about doing some legwork if you are going to say he's all bullshit.

Are you saying that it was bad to do in the past, but fine to do now? Should everyone get to take turns? I don't really want an answer because I don't think this conversation is going anywhere.

He's not American...

There's a reason I edited my post, because this argument is dumb, because you're being dumb about it.

Context exists, this guy is making a dumb bullshitty right wing argument, and he's not making it in a vacuum. It's not a new argument, it's a tired one that borrows from white supremacist dogma. If you're going to :qq: because I am stating the simple fact that white people, in general, in North America, Europe, and elsewhere, have benefited and continue to benefit from systemic racism created to enrich themselves and don't really do much to fix this, then yes, you're an idiot. That's not a call to genocide, that's 100 level college history.

I know, that's the funniest loving part. He's a loving dweeb rear end Canadian whining that people aren't being nice enough to white people lmao.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Kubrick posted:

He's bullshit because he makes the classic mistake of "I am an expert in X, this means I am ALSO an expert in Y" and then starts making all sorts of "harumph" noises when he gets called out on it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Peterson is a con-man & a flake who uses "Marxist conspiracy" as a cover for his racism and anti-feminism views.

If you're carrying water for him, you're an idiot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It's not a coincidence that Peterson is loved by Breitbart and the alt-right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think this results when people see the concept of privilege as a personal attack on them. They "self-made man" delusion gets people extremely riled when threatened, if we can learn anything from "you didn't build that."

Acknowledging that you started the race with lower hurdles really pisses people off because they can't separate that from an accusation of cheating.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, say what you want about Tucker, Rush, Sean, etc. but they are REALLY loving their money lately. You might think were getting paid by the lie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kubrick posted:

I don't want to derail, but he's actually making the point that the tyranny of the majority is often mislabeled as white privilege in the scholarship, which he argues also often uses questionable methodology.

it's not mislabeled you idiot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can also tell exactly what the GOP and Trump are guilty of just by listening to what these assholes accuse Hillary of. Seems like the only question is simply how far does the Russian influence extend. Wouldn't surprise me if it was way way more than Trump.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kubrick posted:

I agree with him that establishing blame on a racial level leads down a dangerous road. We have seen the death and destruction it has caused in the past, and how quickly it can be used by power hungry people to twist resentment into genocide. It is dangerous talk, no matter how benign it sounds at the moment.

What a convenient conclusion to come to

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I can also tell exactly what the GOP and Trump are guilty of just by listening to what these assholes accuse Hillary of. Seems like the only question is simply how far does the Russian influence extend. Wouldn't surprise me if it was way way more than Trump.

It definitely is which is why the party is sweating so hard and so obviously.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't we already know this? I thought it came out that both the GOP in some aspect and Trump were in contact with Russia during the election.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd love for this investigation to fully expose all the fingers the Russian Mafia has in this pie. If at least in the general sense cuz ongoing investigations and missing journos/informants.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

moths posted:

I think this results when people see the concept of privilege as a personal attack on them. They "self-made man" delusion gets people extremely riled when threatened, if we can learn anything from "you didn't build that."

In his defense, the concept of privilege is often framed as a personal attack ("check your privilege").

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kubrick posted:

In his defense, the concept of privilege is often framed as a personal attack ("check your privilege").

Most of the time when it's used this way it's because the offending party has said something phenomenally stupid and/or isn't understanding that other people didn't have so easy of a time.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lightning Knight posted:

Most of the time when it's used this way it's because the offending party has said something phenomenally stupid and/or isn't understanding that other people didn't have so easy of a time.

It also doesn't really matter how privilege is framed in conversation; this guy's supposed to be an academic, right? Then he should know better than to spout off without researching a topic.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

BiggerBoat posted:

Our media has been pretty tepid in its reporting, but bits and pieces have been coming out showing that the entire RNC has been compromised by foreign interests. It’s not all scandalous piss tapes and blackmail, but foreign nationals have been greasing up the GOP for a while.

The NRA is now largely influenced by Russian infiltrators, apparently. Cambridge Analytica has seriously troubling foreign influence. Multinational corporations have been given almost free reign to bribe any politicians they feel like through our ridiculous Super PACs and campaign financing in general.

I think lots of rich people are going to need to end up in jail to have any chance of having less of this poo poo in the future. Trump, especially, has to end up in prison. Nixon getting to skirt to the law was a giant mistake, and Trump has his fingers in a boatload of illegal pies. If we can’t hold our people responsible for blatantly criminal poo poo, it corrodes the whole system.

Before anyone gets hyperbole about jailing political opponents, this should also round up any Dems choosing to gut America to give away free poo poo to their foreign rich buddies. Also Republicans have been using “lock her up” in an unironic way as a catchphrase for a couple years, so I think that cat’s out of the bag already.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Keeshhound posted:

It also doesn't really matter how privilege is framed in conversation; this guy's supposed to be an academic, right? Then he should know better than to spout off without researching a topic.

That's all he does

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Don't we already know this? I thought it came out that both the GOP in some aspect and Trump were in contact with Russia during the election.

Most of us, yes, especially people who post here. Of course. It all seems patently obvious.

I'm more worried about the 33.3 crowd who are true racist evangelical theocratic die hards who consume NOTHING but RWM and perhaps the 45 or 50% who are simply too busy to and overwhelmed to even vote. I mean, by most measures and certainly according to RWM, the economy is absolutely BOOMING, right?. Anyone here feel it? I don't.

When I first started this thread it was mainly because I I didn't think the influence of this propaganda should be underestimated or laughed away. It was 4 years before Trump got elected. You look at the full on assaults on the 4th estate and, especially now, the constant barrage of discrediting law enforcement and talks of conspiracies. The 180 degree turns, the blatant straight up demonstrably provable lies told to our faces and recorded every day, the ongoing divisions and distractions we find ourselves constantly sidetracked with.

This is all part of the fundamental foundation of out and out fascism. What we see and rightfully KNOW to be true...does...not...work...that...way for people who consume this poo poo (and ONLY this poo poo) 24/7/365. Prester Jane talks about it in the Authoritarian thread. It's palpable and real and underestimating its influence is unwise, but I'm not sure there's gently caress all we can do about it at this point.

I really don't.

Commercials, advertising, repetition, deflection, framing, consistent control of the narrative and the divisive strategy of other-ism loving works. Republicans figured this out a long time ago and are as patient as they are wealthy. They can afford to be. Accusing the other side of doing what you are doing works. They and their President lie with impunity constantly, every single day, on record and simply dare us to keep with it while blaming the media for reporting what they say, which is on purpose. Our news media is a ratings chase, beholden to advertisers who are the very heart of the problem. The shameless minions who collect millions to perpetuate it see this country as a collection of winners and losers.

It's sheer attrition and it's enveloped a disturbingly large percentage of the population. Some don't care, some of them are on the verge of going broke and fighting for survival while countless others are just plain stupid; victims of decades of unfunding education.

Many are scared. Most for the wrong reasons and blaming the wrong people.

I can tell to some degree the people who post here that do not live in the south or in the rural midwest, based almost entirely on the level of their sarcasm and often the level of their casual dismissal of this crap. This noise reaches everyone; those who listen for laughs, those that listen because there is almost nothing else to listen to and, worse, those that listen because they think everyone else is lying to them.

It's an Amway convention, an infomercial and a reality TV show brought real. Into the very fabric of our government.

Whoo. At least I got that off my chest even though no one will read it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 26, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The big story around my state was the smaller, downtrodden counties that had been solid Dem since Reagan had switched to Trump because they weren't feeling the economic surge (also, opoids, so many opoids) so they needed an outsider. I can't imagine they're feeling the change now, but I'm sure they'd rather just say "give him more time!" Rather than "oops. That was a mistake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Most of us, yes, especially people who post here. Of course. It all seems patently obvious.

I'm more worried about the 33.3 crowd who are true racist evangelical theocratic die hards who consume NOTHING but RWM and perhaps the 45 or 50% who are simply too busy to and overwhelmed to even vote. I mean, by most measures and certainly according to RWM, the economy is absolutely BOOMING, right?. Anyone here feel it? I don't.

When I first started this thread it was mainly because I I didn't think the influence of this propaganda should be underestimated or laughed away. It was 4 years before Trump got elected. You look at the full on assaults on the 4th estate and, especially now, the constant barrage of discrediting law enforcement and talks of conspiracies. The 180 degree turns, the blatant straight up demonstrably provable lies told to our faces and recorded every day, the ongoing divisions and distractions we find ourselves constantly sidetracked with.

This is all part of the fundamental foundation of out and out fascism. What we see and rightfully KNOW to be true...does...not...work...that...way for people who consume this poo poo (and ONLY this poo poo) 24/7/365. Prester Jane talks about it in the Authoritarian thread. It's palpable and real and underestimating its influence is unwise, but I'm not sure there's gently caress all we can do about it at this point.

I really don't.

Commercials, advertising, repetition, deflection, framing, consistent control of the narrative and the divisive strategy of other-ism loving works. Republicans figured this out a long time ago and are as patient as they are wealthy. They can afford to be. Accusing the other side of doing what you are doing works. They and their President lie with impunity constantly, every single day, on record and simply dare us to keep with it while blaming the media for reporting what they say, which is on purpose. Our news media is a ratings chase, beholden to advertisers who are the very heart of the problem. The shameless minions who collect millions to perpetuate it see this country as a collection of winners and losers.

It's sheer attrition and it's enveloped a disturbingly large percentage of the population. Some don't care, some of them are on the verge of going broke and fighting for survival while countless others are just plain stupid; victims of decades of unfunding education.

Many are scared. Most for the wrong reasons and blaming the wrong people.

I can tell to some degree the people who post here that do not live in the south or in the rural midwest, based almost entirely on the level of their sarcasm and often the level of their casual dismissal of this crap. This noise reaches everyone; those who listen for laughs, those that listen because there is almost nothing else to listen to and, worse, those that listen because they think everyone else is lying to them.

It's an Amway convention, an infomercial and a reality TV show brought real. Into the very fabric of our government.

Whoo. At least I got that off my chest even though no one will read it.

The despair is real everyday. We all feel it. It's important to fight every day and not let yourself be beaten down. We can turn to authors like Arendt or Paxton for information on authoritarians and their methods. It's important to not lose hope and keep connected with neighbors.