Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

that appears to be a rudatron post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also ultra-nationalism with both left-wing and right-wing faces, but characterized in each case by Malthusian right-wing thinking, massive border security, and massive state intervention to put down unrest and adapt the economy to our hell future
maybe, but i feel less confident in predicating how any of that will shake out, and i don't think anyone else can either.
what's the confusing part

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rudatron posted:

Let's start with where did you get it? I've never heard anyone point to heat stroke and rainfall as two of the major threats of global warming.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ah, there it is. See, this is why I never try to argue in good faith with conservatives.

"good faith" == calling everyone who disagrees with you a white supremacist

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gobbagool posted:

"good faith" == calling everyone who disagrees with you a white supremacist
Conservatism is a white supremacist ideology. Sorry, my man. Just is how it is.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

I'd say you're missing at least one issue in that list, sea levels rising.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

last chinese movie i watched was a martial arts film with really strong anti-japan themes. left a sour taste. so yeah i'd rather join the bollywood global multicultural twerkfest

was it Ip Man because that movie was pretty sweet in the punching and the japanese being total monsters to chinese during ww2 wasnt much of an exaggeration

the epilogue text about about the chinese banding together under the spirit of the government to repel the japanese interlopers was pretty lol

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
sea level rise is a non issue, the netherlands is already below sea level and doing fine, it's all about how much you want to protect, and how much money you have to protect it. major cities will have the money spent over time, smaller coastal cities will get depopulated as people move elsewhere, within the same country. big loving whoop, that's not that drastic

now, precipitation variability + arable land -> price of food -> social stability, how many people can, you know, eat

direct heat stroke is also a real issue in areas that are already pretty warm, because there are hard limits on what temperatures the human body can experience, and as global warming goes far enough, there are literally going to be sections of the earth where you will die if you stay outside.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

FactsAreUseless posted:

Conservatism is a white supremacist ideology. Sorry, my man. Just is how it is.

wow did you work for the Hillary 2016 campaign? "Why won't you stupid racist bigots vote for me?" but that's fine, with people like you preaching the liberal party line, there's very little risk of it ever being taken seriously

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

sea level rise is a non issue, the netherlands is already below sea level and doing fine, it's all about how much you want to protect, and how much money you have to protect it. major cities will have the money spent over time, smaller coastal cities will get depopulated, big loving whoop, that's not that drastic

:wow:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gobbagool posted:

wow did you work for the Hillary 2016 campaign? "Why won't you stupid racist bigots vote for me?" but that's fine, with people like you preaching the liberal party line, there's very little risk of it ever being taken seriously
I'm sorry you're mad about the fact that your politics are all based in white supremacy, but this isn't D&D so we don't have to pretend they're not.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

sea level rise is a non issue, the netherlands is already below sea level and doing fine, it's all about how much you want to protect, and how much money you have to protect it. major cities will have the money spent over time, smaller coastal cities will get depopulated as people move elsewhere, within the same country. big loving whoop, that's not that drastic

now, precipitation variability + arable land -> price of food -> social stability, how many people can, you know, eat

direct heat stroke is also a real issue in areas that are already pretty warm, because there are hard limits on what temperatures the human body can experience, and as global warming goes far enough, there are literally going to be sections of the earth where you will die if you stay outside.

isn't that already happening in parts of India and the ME?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm sorry you're mad about the fact that your politics are all based in white supremacy, but this isn't D&D so we don't have to pretend they're not.

Keep loving that chicken, FAU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And also I don't care if being told you're a racist will stop you from voting for the "liberal party line," so not sure what your point is besides "I'm not comfortable with the reality of my beliefs."

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

gobbagool posted:

Hillary is a white supremacist too, hth

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

gobbagool posted:

isn't that already happening in parts of India and the ME?
yeah, but it happens in waves, and you'd expect with variation around an average, and as the global average goes up, those waves become more common.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The simple fact is that, as a conservative, you buy into white supremacist thought. It's at the root of conservative politics. You can't get around it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also i dunno what you're hoping to accomplish fau, but it's kind of ironic that you're engaging with gobbagool, in possibly the least productive way, after complaining that others were replying to them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rudatron posted:

also i dunno what you're hoping to accomplish fau, but it's kind of ironic that you're engaging with gobbagool, in possibly the least productive way, after complaining that others were replying to them
I'm not "engaging" so much as "making fun of
him" and also if I thought it was a genuine problem I would have probated people.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

heat waves have already killed tens of thousands of people in europe, and those took place in the 2000s. Project that poo poo into the future and we have reason to worry about people getting baked alive :420:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Yossarian-22 posted:

heat waves have already killed tens of thousands of people in europe, and those took place in the 2000s. Project that poo poo into the future and we have reason to worry about people getting baked alive :420:

those were all old people that died so i'm even more in favor of global warming now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

global warming, just like any other societal stressor, will kill the old, poor, infirm, black and brown, and otherwise margninalized first. in that way it will be not too far out of what we think of as the ordinary that it will be hard to realize it while it is happening

in fact its already happening in our backyard in puerto rico

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gobbagool posted:

Keep loving that chicken, FAU

http://readsettlers.org/settlers.pdf

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Oh good, I keep on forgetting to buy a copy for my Kindle (and I half-expect I'd be put on a watch list if I got it through Amazon). Thanks, even if I'm not who you are hoping will read it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In 20 years life is going to be worse for the poor, and more people will be poor, but most of them are still going to have internet and air conditioning so I don't really see collapse coming in the "American Balkanization" or "Civil War Pt. 2: Sherman's Revenge" sense that goons seem to get such a boner thinking about. People are passive, and they are adaptable.

Hell, you want a vision of the future just come to West Virginia for a few days.

trinity3infinity
Jul 25, 2007

well the weird thing is that by all accounts the government is on fire and the country is in systemic decline, but then you walk outside and everything is normal and people are acting normally, so it's a surreal feeling. kinda feels like someone dumped a really big turd in the pool and everyone is trying to pretend it isn't there.

This is exactly what Adam Curtis's Hypernormalisation is about and I recommend everyone watch it.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

Hell, you want a vision of the future just come to West Virginia for a few days.
Yikes, no thanks.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Karl Barks posted:

it seems self evident, if you've ever traveled anywhere other than the US, how dominant and influential US culture is. btw things like the marshall plan are considered soft power, and did more than any stupid lovely coup we've instigated to affect policy in a positive way
ya

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

stuff i've seen with my own eyes and not on the internet, culturally, that have disturbed me over the past two years or so

+ sitting in a movie theater and seeing the trailer for this tom cruise movie called jack reacher, which was like this vigilante movie. dad was next to me in the theater and almost recoiled from how violent it was. but it wasn't just the violence but the kind of sick pleasure the movie seemed to take in smashing heads together.

+ the proliferation of punisher skulls on the back of vehicles around where i live. this is mimicking a trend in the military but i'll also see them incorporated with a blue line for the police.

+ more and more billboards for guns and ammunition along the highway, which seems like a relatively new thing.

but not just guns and ammunition but the branding: CRUSADER with a christian knight carrying an AR-15.

so, in these virtual mediated spaces there is a firehose of poo poo and people are acting like they want to kill each other. that is the glimpse into the subconscious. but in meatspace everyone is putting around in their cars and going about their business and you'd be none the wiser. but then you see this subconscious stuff start to bubble up in the form of these representations.

i, and others too, have noticed this Highly Weird poo poo. you are not going crazy.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

the three main issues are the direct temperature threat (heat stroke) in limited areas, lowered or greater variability in precipitation, and acreage of arable land.

oh word, is that all?

I'll just tell the lab that they need to solve the whole "plants need water to live" thing better then a couple billion years of evolution have and once we've got that done then we'll have fixed a single one of our problems. bing bong simple!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in my opinion the 2008 crisis and all the obvious crooks getting off scott free marked the end of the rule of law in this country. even if you dont agree with that phrasing i dont think anyone would agree that its undeniable that the rich are above the law that applies to the rest of us. in that environment, where the only "legitimate" source of collective justice (the law and the state) has been undone (and the idea of new laws emerging from the bottom up rather than the top down has been neutered in the shift to neoliberalism*), vigilante justice can sound like the only justice thats possible

* im reading a really great book on this called undoing the demos by wendy brown. only a few chapters in but highly recommended

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Willie Tomg posted:

i, and others too, have noticed this Highly Weird poo poo. you are not going crazy.

I mean, gun and ammo companies crafting advertising to appeal to their target market isn't that Highly Weird. Regarding the Punisher, there's a series out now, i think it's Marvel? Oddly enough, in my daughter's dorm, when they moved in back in August, each new student got a superhero nametag on the door, and hers was....the Punisher

edit; clarity

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

gobbagool posted:

I mean, gun and ammo companies crafting advertising to appeal to their target market isn't that Highly Weird. Regarding the Punisher, there's a series out now, i think it's Marvel? Oddly enough, in my daughter's dorm, when they moved in back in August, each new student got a superhero nametag on the door, and hers was....the Punisher

edit; clarity

you have no idea what's being talked about lol

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Willie Tomg posted:

yes, you want to point to things in teh culture that have changed that are pointing towards some big picture change. i get it, i just dont agree with it, any more than when hair metal was said to be the harbinger of the decline of western civilization, or rap meant that society was falling apart permanently, forever. people tend to wildly overestimate the importance of current events in historical perspective

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gobbagool posted:

yes, you want to point to things in teh culture that have changed that are pointing towards some big picture change. i get it, i just dont agree with it, any more than when hair metal was said to be the harbinger of the decline of western civilization, or rap meant that society was falling apart permanently, forever. people tend to wildly overestimate the importance of current events in historical perspective

the advent of rap and it's popularization coincides pretty neatly with the modern destruction of black wealth/community. there's a reason gangsta rap exists and it was considered so dangerous, it reflected the reality of living in ghettos

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Willie Tomg posted:

he has a point in that we've actually always been stupid violent racist pieces of poo poo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

he has a point in that we've actually always been stupid violent racist pieces of poo poo

this is true, yet things that were subsumed are now floating to the surface like methane bubbles in a swamp and while one could waste everyone's time pointing out how they've been worse previously you have to be a special kind of blinkered to not see a trend over the last few decades or attempt to normalize that trend considering some of the poo poo that went down the last few times we were more overtly savage to ourselves and others.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

this is true, yet things that were subsumed are now floating to the surface like methane bubbles in a swamp and while one could waste everyone's time pointing out how they've been worse previously you have to be a special kind of blinkered to not see a trend over the last few decades or attempt to normalize that trend considering some of the poo poo that went down the last few times we were more overtly savage to ourselves and others.

nah

theres nothing new bubbling to the surface (at least not in the way you think), the things you see were never subsumed or hidden except in the fiction we told ourselves. the new thing is that no generation has ever been as raised by that fiction as the one coming of age right now. Its not the world grown weird, its us.

like I can't figure what was the age where this stuff was supposed to have buried?

SickZip has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jan 26, 2018

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

self unaware posted:

people won't be living in Houston unless we develop magical underwater city technology, i dont know if you missed last year but there's only so many times FEMA/the feds can bail out morons building cities next to the coasts while the seas rise up

how is it not? it's going to be the single largest factor in america's collapse

lol at "maybe it will, maybe it won't" who are you, sean hannity?

You're right to point out that climate change will be the biggest factor at play here but it also has so many variables it's kind of hard to speculate how it's all going to shake out. I do think that if it sparks things like famine and war leading to mass death then there will be a kind of self-regulating effect. Less people means less CO2 being produced. Also any kind of mass migration would mean those migrating aren't participating in industrial production until they resettle. Kind of a grim way of looking at it I guess but that's a case for why it won't be an extinction-level event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MrWilderheap posted:

You're right to point out that climate change will be the biggest factor at play here but it also has so many variables it's kind of hard to speculate how it's all going to shake out. I do think that if it sparks things like famine and war leading to mass death then there will be a kind of self-regulating effect. Less people means less CO2 being produced. Also any kind of mass migration would mean those migrating aren't participating in industrial production until they resettle. Kind of a grim way of looking at it I guess but that's a case for why it won't be an extinction-level event.

we could all die tomorrow and our no longer existant great grandchildren would still experience a warming climate. a climatic "return to normal" would take centuries to millennia

and of course, climate is only meta-stable so the normal it returns to would not necessarily be the same as what it was

• Locked thread