Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

Wow ok holy gently caress, 2.0 fixes defensive wars, right? I've never been on the "ally" side of a defensive war and being just trapped and helpless as the AI throws away its fleets and refuses to recapture planets, meaning my poo poo gets stolen in the peace agreement is super infuriating.

Xenophobic all the way I guess. gently caress "friends"

In 2.0 an opponent can't take systems it doesn't occupy, unless it has a claim on them and wins outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Aethernet posted:

In 2.0 an opponent can't take systems it doesn't occupy, unless it has a claim on them and wins outright.

Oh thank god. Cool. Can I sue for a separate peace like in EU?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

I don't believe so, alas.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
drat that is an excellent trailer. Kudos to the crew that made it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tomn posted:

It's Commonwealth propaganda trying to convince UNE citizens to vote for integration under the Commonwealth.

Someone in the paradox thread suggested an event chain that could unify the UNE/CoM in ethics if not an alliance if the UNE lost a war to xenos.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Trivia posted:

drat that is an excellent trailer. Kudos to the crew that made it.
No doubt that budget for this sort of thing is insane, but it would be neat to have reward videos of this quality for specific events in Stellaris, ala Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rhjamiz posted:

Before you get too happy, it's worth noting that the new version of white peace (status quo peace) potentially means losing territory anyways - if the enemy is occupying a system that they have a claim to at the time the status quo peace is signed, they get to keep the system. But you can do the same to them, so it's possible to have a status quo peace where the two sides trade planets.

Basically come 2.0 make sure the enemy isn't occupying anything you want to keep before you sign a peace.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Is there a tl;dr of the cool things coming in 2.0 for those of us that are kinda waiting for the next patch/dlc?

I can only robot to victory so much before getting burnout. I think I am nearing 1k hours in Stellaris total :sun:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Omniblivion posted:

Is there a tl;dr of the cool things coming in 2.0 for those of us that are kinda waiting for the next patch/dlc?

I can only robot to victory so much before getting burnout. I think I am nearing 1k hours in Stellaris total :sun:

The way war, movement, and borders work is changing so much (for the better) it's almost a sequel at this point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Omniblivion posted:

There's a great thread on Reddit with a list of changes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/7o34yh/summary_of_dev_diaries_and_changes_coming_in/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I only caught a few minutes of the stream, but can someone tell me why they were saying that they weren't going to/didn't have the time to add an observer mode? Because you can.. you know... press ` and type "observe."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I only caught a few minutes of the stream, but can someone tell me why they were saying that they weren't going to/didn't have the time to add an observer mode? Because you can.. you know... press ` and type "observe."

I can't imagine they'd strip such a simple existing feature out of the game. Were people asking for some sort of official observer mode via the main menu or something?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

turn off the TV posted:

Yes, but if memory serves me right the observer mode (when activated with the console) really fucks with the AI for some reason. Or that may have been HOI.

Either way I remember it being an issue.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

You can observe, but you can't switch your POV the way you can in EU4, etc. That's kind of needed to have a multiplayer observer 'host', which is what we're talking about.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The observe console command is not a full-featured observer mode.

e:wws (edit: what wiz said)

LordMune fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

You can observe, but you can't switch your POV the way you can in EU4, etc. That's kind of needed to have a multiplayer observer 'host', which is what we're talking about.

I assume no changes to how it works in single player though?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz posted:

LordMune posted:

The observe console command is not a full-featured observer mode.

Mystery solved. I must have opened the stream at the tail end of that.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes, but if memory serves me right the observer mode (when activated with the console) really fucks with the AI for some reason. Or that may have been HOI.

Either way I remember it being an issue.

You can type something like player_ai and your empire will get taken over for you, at which point you can safely go into observer mode. As far as I know, anyways. The mature galaxy command is where things get a bit wonky.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Holy smokes, getting it all listed like that even after reading the dev diaries is pretty crazy. I'm pumped and I was all mentally bracing myself for having to wait until like April or something for it but it conveniently falls right after a large exam and around my birthday.

Thanks pdx-guys! :)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Man this game has a lot going on. Miscellaneous questions:

Shipbuilding leaves me at a loss, I'm just overwhelmed with options. Are weapon types rock-paper-scissors, or are there just ones that are objectively better than others? Are there any ship modules that I should be putting on everything, or alternately never using? What roles are the different ship types supposed to fulfill? Should I still be building corvettes at all past a certain point, or are mixed fleets always useful?

For colonies, am I better off building structures that improve the base output of the sector (Farms on food, mining on mineral, etc), or should I be specializing colonies?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rhjamiz posted:

Xenophobic all the way I guess. gently caress "friends"

This is the correct way to play.

Phanatic posted:

Shipbuilding leaves me at a loss, I'm just overwhelmed with options. Are weapon types rock-paper-scissors, or are there just ones that are objectively better than others? Are there any ship modules that I should be putting on everything, or alternately never using? What roles are the different ship types supposed to fulfill? Should I still be building corvettes at all past a certain point, or are mixed fleets always useful?

For colonies, am I better off building structures that improve the base output of the sector (Farms on food, mining on mineral, etc), or should I be specializing colonies?

I abandon Corvettes and Destroyers pretty much immediately upon unlocking Cruisers, they're sufficiently versatile to serve as your entire fleet. I'll occasionally mix in some PD heavy destroyers if I'm fighting a peer competitor with missiles. Plasma weapons are amazing and you want them, lasers will do until then. Once you get up the tech tree, start adding Kinetic Battery Battleships, they'll ensure your Plasma Cruisers are firing at targets with no shields by the time you close. Things aren't really rock paper scissors, so you can mostly build what you want, and don't use missiles outside the early game.

Specializing planets is technically better, playing truly optimally means taking advantage of the +Resource modifier buildings you can build. In practice that's too annoying and I don't bother, the difference isn't that huge. The exception is planets with +25% Mineral modifiers, those just get Unity buildings and all the mines they can hold.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 25, 2018

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Dear God. That trailer reminds me of all those strike craft pilots I've probably lost. :(

Sorry, guys and gals, but I guess future space fighters don't get countermeasures. Or ejection seats.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

When you capture a starbase from an enemy, will the model change? It'd be pretty cool if it didn't, and like you'd end up with all these obviously conquered starbases. Like DS9 being a Cardassian station run by the Feds.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Artificer posted:

Dear God. That trailer reminds me of all those strike craft pilots I've probably lost. :(

Sorry, guys and gals, but I guess future space fighters don't get countermeasures. Or ejection seats.

Maybe they're all remote controlled drones. We have them on regular old non space earth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tomn posted:

It's Commonwealth propaganda trying to convince UNE citizens to vote for integration under the Commonwealth.

With some alterations, it could also be good propaganda for my Space Kitten Empire to convince the surviving humans to vote for integration into the Star Republic. Because I'm pretty sure if the devouring swarm eating them had had planet destroyers, they would have used them. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

appropriatemetaphor posted:

When you capture a starbase from an enemy, will the model change? It'd be pretty cool if it didn't, and like you'd end up with all these obviously conquered starbases. Like DS9 being a Cardassian station run by the Feds.

I wish we had this for planet graphics too. I think some of the civs did that too to some extent.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I think I asked this last expansion, but I forgot the answer: is there any actual benefit to preordering (other than being able to cancel your preorder in a huff later)? There wasn't any preload available, IIRC, so... :iiam:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ulmont posted:

I think I asked this last expansion, but I forgot the answer: is there any actual benefit to preordering (other than being able to cancel your preorder in a huff later)? There wasn't any preload available, IIRC, so... :iiam:

Nope, just feels good for some people.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shugojin posted:

Maybe they're all remote controlled drones. We have them on regular old non space earth.

can't use the force to blow up death stars if it's a remote drone. Just won't work.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

:vince:

Wiz, you're a freaking god amongst men

e: LordMune is pcool too

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

appropriatemetaphor posted:

This would be cool, although upgrading it would likely pose problems.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This would be cool, although upgrading it would likely pose problems.

I mean the type can just be set when it's made and stay in that style forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Will the new Mastery of Nature benefit apply to ever planet you colonize, or only ones you have once you grab it? What happens if the planet is captured by someone else?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Artificer posted:

I try not to think about what happens to fighters when an emergency jump happens. Or really hope they have their own drives to jump.

Also the events where you come across ancient pods that didn’t get picked up...

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Will the new Mastery of Nature benefit apply to ever planet you colonize, or only ones you have once you grab it? What happens if the planet is captured by someone else?

It's a planetary edict, so you have to activate it individually for every planet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Artificer posted:

Just lol if your spaceships have crews in the year of our lord 2300.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Knowing the release date gives me optimism that this month is going to be full of the bugfixing of the major bugs coming with 2.0.

Technically since everything is changing, is this just Stellaris 2 on the Stellaris 1 engine?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It looks like it's a one-time purchase edict on each planet you control. No idea what happens when someone else captures the planet, but I'd assume the increase stays.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm hoping the marauders are laying the groundwork for playable nomads.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's too bad they deleted the stream, I wanted to see the first trailer reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SpaceViking posted:

It looks like it's a one-time purchase edict on each planet you control. No idea what happens when someone else captures the planet, but I'd assume the increase stays.

The real question will be if you can take the edict again after you capture a planet.

1) Take Edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
2) Sell planet to friend. He takes edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
3) Planet sold back to you. You take edict. Planet gets 3 spaces bigger.
4) Repeat ad infinitum

Sure it would be expensive as hell to take the edict so many times, and sure it would be super easy to code out, but god drat would it ever be hilarious.

• Locked thread