Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrankoMilan/status/956373515455909893

Monopolies don't often use their power to raise prices but they do lower the amount paid to labor.

Price-fixing can go both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

G-Mach posted:

A decent phone repair guy can replace a battery on a iphone in around 10-20 minutes and a screen can be done around an hour. The phones which suck to work on are the flagship Samsung phones.
That's still five times slower than it could be, if the design took battery replacement in mind.

Quandary posted:

I can't speak to every point, but with regards to the headphones jack the primary reason they removed it is because it's an enormous footprint requirement for something that's almost redundant when there is a lightning connector right there. Removing the headphones jack allowed that space to be used for something else (ie more battery), the fact that it worked within the business model is a lucky coincedence. I work in the semiconductor industry - I don't think you realize how critical PCB space is in those applications and how much it drives costs and functionality.
It definitely takes space, but you're looking at something like a .1mm thickness increase over the entire phone. Or, god forbid, not having a similar-sized barometric vent.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

That's still five times slower than it could be, if the design took battery replacement in mind.

It definitely takes space, but you're looking at something like a .1mm thickness increase over the entire phone. Or, god forbid, not having a similar-sized barometric vent.

It's not about thickness, it's about circuit board space savings

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I went to the Amazon Go store and it was fine. As I was downloading the app I was like "oh cool that's a huge barrier to entry" but it was sort of neat walking in, grabbing a can of la croix, and leaving. Jeff Bezos should be drawn and quartered.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I predict a bunch of people will buy a whole bunch of poo poo they don't need at the Go store, trying to figure out ways to successfully shoplift from the Great Algorithm.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PT6A posted:

I predict a bunch of people will buy a whole bunch of poo poo they don't need at the Go store, trying to figure out ways to successfully shoplift from the Great Algorithm.

I like grocery shopping. I like going after the gym or after work or whatever, and going by my list. I don’t mind paying with my phone or with a credit card. And everyone talking about how it saves them time... blah. I’m guessing (I work 80+ hour a week running my business) that I have less time than most people do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LionArcher posted:

(I work 80+ hour a week running my business)

You work 80+ hours a week, go to the gym, grocery shop, and still have time to read these forums?

Really getting tired about people reflexively lying about how many hours they work. For reference, you're claiming you work MORE THAN 7:00am to 7:45pm with no lunch 7 days a week and still go to the gym and aren't annoyed by the time you spend grocery shopping.

Right.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 25, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You work 80+ hours a week, go to the gym, grocery shop, and still have time to read these forums?

You're lying.

Like everyone else he or she reads the forums at work while doing the bare minimum to not get fired.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

withak posted:

Like everyone else he or she reads the forums at work while doing the bare minimum to not get fired.
Doing the above right this very second.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LionArcher posted:

(I work 80+ hour a week running my business)

Thanks, I needed a sensible chuckle this morning.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Really getting tired about people reflexively lying about how many hours they work. For reference, you're claiming you work MORE THAN 7:00am to 7:45pm with no lunch 7 days a week and still go to the gym and aren't annoyed by the time you spend grocery shopping.

Right.

I read it when I’m at the gym on the bike.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing was I tried to do the "actually work for the entire time you're there no goofing off" thing when I went to work for some startups and I can honestly say that consistent "real" 60 hour workweeks will make you want to die. And I actually worked some no-poo poo 80 workweeks and it utterly wiped me out for 2 - 3 days afterwards, I literally had memory loss. I have nothing but respect for people on assembly lines or other monotasking job who are working 100% of the time and only get their mandated 10-minute breaks and lunches, it's hell.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 25, 2018

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The thing was I tried to do the "actually work for the entire time you're there no goofing off" thing when I went to work for some startups and I can honestly say that consistent 60 hour workweeks will make you want to die. And I actually worked some no-poo poo 80 workweeks and it utterly wiped me out for 2 - 3 days afterwards, I literally had memory loss. I have nothing but respect for people on assembly lines or other monotasking job who are working 100% of the time and only get their mandated 10-minute breaks and lunches, it's hell.

Agreed. I’m doing 80 weeks for about the next month. Most of the time it’s 50 or 60hour work weeks. But I do what I love. I was just taking a shot more at the tech writers (Leo Laport on his podcast about amazon go comes to mind) and people acting like they are too busy to grocery shop, when they in fact have pretty cushy jobs and don’t work that much.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LionArcher posted:

Agreed. I’m doing 80 weeks for about the next month. Most of the time it’s 50 or 60hour work weeks. But I do what I love. I was just taking a shot more at the tech writers (Leo Laport on his podcast about amazon go comes to mind) and people acting like they are too busy to grocery shop, when they in fact have pretty cushy jobs and don’t work that much.

What do you do, if I may ask and if you are comfortable sharing?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

What do you do, if I may ask and if you are comfortable sharing?

Run an online publishing company.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
hotel owners work absolutely batshit hours. My brother is head chef at his friend’s hotel and once covered for him for a week and it drat near killed him. Up at 6am to start dealing with breakfast, work right through to midnight and repeat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

learnincurve posted:

hotel owners work absolutely batshit hours. My brother is head chef at his friend’s hotel and once covered for him for a week and it drat near killed him. Up at 6am to start dealing with breakfast, work right through to midnight and repeat.

Delegating, it's a thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not easy at the height of summer, or if you have a wedding party. There are a fair few famous British pubs I know of that are out in the sticks like the cat and fiddle and the Fox House where they can’t get the staff, so the poor waitresses end up working from 10am-12pm 5 days a week and then the teenagers take over for the weekend. British pub and hotel trade is brutal burnout is high as are most of the chefs.

Plus side. There is a minimum wage and no one declares tips which are voluntary and not added to the bill so there is a lot of money in it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

MiddleOne posted:

Delegating, it's a thing.

Small business owners, especially in hospitality, seem to think that the secret to profitability is cutting staff to the bare minimum and then cutting some more. I have a friend who works in a relatively popular, well-rated restaurant and their back of house staff consists of one full time and one part time employee. The place serves food from noon to midnightish six days a week, at least in theory.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

PT6A posted:

I predict the stores will be hard to maintain, and people will be often shoplifting by accident due to broken cameras and wifi issues.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The thing was I tried to do the "actually work for the entire time you're there no goofing off" thing when I went to work for some startups and I can honestly say that consistent "real" 60 hour workweeks will make you want to die. And I actually worked some no-poo poo 80 workweeks and it utterly wiped me out for 2 - 3 days afterwards, I literally had memory loss. I have nothing but respect for people on assembly lines or other monotasking job who are working 100% of the time and only get their mandated 10-minute breaks and lunches, it's hell.

At about 65 hours a week one should start tracking hours worked in a rolling 7 day period. Any time that gets about 70 you'll feel like poo poo and you are probably getting to the point where one should not be driving a car. One should certainly not be making critical desicions at that point. Trucking companies have spreadsheets to track hours that work quite well for this. You're not going to find research behind it either. But 70 in 7 is pretty good rule to not exceed regularly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I saw an Amazon ad for a neat leaking keyboard on Facebook the other day, it looked like some nifty retro future thing, almost like old typewriter keys, and I was like, neat, I'll check it out. I clicked the link and the motherfucking thing was 1000 dollars. Who spends 1000 dollars on a keyboard?

Someone with enough money to burn that they can afford to pay the guy building those for his time.

A thousand bucks is a lot of money, and at the same time it''s probably barely enough to make the man hours in bespoke gadgets pay out.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

learnincurve posted:

Not easy at the height of summer, or if you have a wedding party. There are a fair few famous British pubs I know of that are out in the sticks like the cat and fiddle and the Fox House where they can’t get the staff, so the poor waitresses end up working from 10am-12pm 5 days a week and then the teenagers take over for the weekend. British pub and hotel trade is brutal burnout is high as are most of the chefs.

Plus side. There is a minimum wage and no one declares tips which are voluntary and not added to the bill so there is a lot of money in it.

Working a two hour shift sounds pretty awesome to me. :cheeky:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

learnincurve posted:

Why even bother at that point? I guess it's understandable if it's a short term thing and you're working towards some extremely near term goal, but as a way of living over the long run this is just miserable. No one lies on their deathbed wishing they'd worked more.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s a certain kind of mentality I’ve only ever seen in the hotel/pub trade. The job is their life, their friends are the staff and customers and the only time they ever leave the place is to go to the cash and carry. The aim is to make enough money in order to sell the place and retire at 45, the reality is that you often see 70 year old landlords who drank all their savings welded to the bar.

Edit: it’s like the plot of a horror movie where somone gets possessed by a creepy building and it slowly takes them over unless they have a complete mental breakdown or escape.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It’s a certain kind of mentality I’ve only ever seen in the hotel/pub trade. The job is their life, their friends are the staff and customers and the only time they ever leave the place is to go to the cash and carry. The aim is to make enough money in order to sell the place and retire at 45, the reality is that you often see 70 year old landlords who drank all their savings welded to the bar.

Edit: it’s like the plot of a horror movie where somone gets possessed by a creepy building and it slowly takes them over unless they have a complete mental breakdown or escape.

This is a good description of the bar owner I know. It kinda makes sense because he isn't actually doing what anybody would consider "work" 90% of the time he's at the bar. He's shooting the poo poo with regulars and bartenders and drinking a ton. His main motivating factor seems to be that it makes him the center of gravity in his social circle, which consists almost entirely of current and former employees who won't (can't?) call him on his bullshit.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

https://twitter.com/BrankoMilan/status/956373515455909893

Monopolies don't often use their power to raise prices but they do lower the amount paid to labor.

"monopsony" should enter the common vernacular this year hopefully.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

MiddleOne posted:

Price-fixing can go both ways.
If anything, it's easier on the labor end right now. Amazon still has a ton of room to get in trouble if they lose the trust of customers, especially since they're primarily a middleman. Getting in trouble for loving over workers, especially entry-level workers, in the US on the other hand? Nope.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Seth Galifianakis posted:

This is a good description of the bar owner I know. It kinda makes sense because he isn't actually doing what anybody would consider "work" 90% of the time he's at the bar. He's shooting the poo poo with regulars and bartenders and drinking a ton. His main motivating factor seems to be that it makes him the center of gravity in his social circle, which consists almost entirely of current and former employees who won't (can't?) call him on his bullshit.
This is almost everyone on Bar Rescue and half the owners on Kitchen Nightmares. They say they're working 100 hours a week because they hang out all day and night.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

BrandorKP posted:

At about 65 hours a week one should start tracking hours worked in a rolling 7 day period. Any time that gets about 70 you'll feel like poo poo and you are probably getting to the point where one should not be driving a car. One should certainly not be making critical desicions at that point. Trucking companies have spreadsheets to track hours that work quite well for this. You're not going to find research behind it either. But 70 in 7 is pretty good rule to not exceed regularly.

I worked 10-13 hour days 8-9 days on 1 off for a couple months as a cellar hand at a winery. This checks out, I was easily the worst employee I've ever been in my life in that time period. I remember just vacantly pressure washing a piece of cement for AT LEAST an hour because they said clean it, it wasn't spotless, and my brain had straight up given up hours ago. I opened a tank of wine directly into my face at one point. I swear I'm at least a generally competent human but that job ruined me.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

In my experience assembly lines will have many different stations to work on which workers are able to rotate between so rarely is someone monotasking the entire shift. For the factories I've worked at we had line workers rotate at most every hour. For higher end lines where each station requires more technical expertise "monotasking" is more likely to be the case; but then they'll also have multiple tasks to complete for it. And even then they'll rotate between similar stations; though this might be more once a shift or even longer period. The big thing that is looked at when setting up rotation schedules is how repetitive the work is. You want to make sure that you don't have someone doing the same exact task over and over again as that will lead to injury.

The factories I've worked at also give paid breaks that are longer than 10 minutes. In one of my jobs we received two 30 minute breaks paid. There is also downtown due to cleanings, change overs, and mechanical failure that also helps break things up. Not that any of that means they are any less deserving of your respect of course; but a lot of times the work gets demeaned as overly monotonous when honestly a call center is probably 100x worse for that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I’m at work 50 hours per week, commute 14 hours per week, spend 8 hours per week at the gym, spend an average of 4-8 hours per week cycling, and have 4 kids. My wife works about the same hours I do but commutes less.

We buy groceries online. Along with almost everything else.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Last factory I worked at was nothing like that. If you worked on the casting line, and they were making say, foam, the things ran 24/7 until it was done. If you were on the windup side, you worked 12 hours, with three 15 minute breaks when relieved, and a single half hour lunch in the middle of the day. Your job was to repeat the same tasks over and over again, some less monotonous than others. I recall one job was "guiding foam", where there was a slit in the ceiling above the line where rolls of foam were arranged. The foam was hung loosely on a bar, and ran through a series of rollers, and you would guide this onto the wet vinyl before it ran through the oven and cooked together. You needed to keep the foam straight so the roll came out right on the other side, and you needed to let it feed without tension so it wouldn't drag back through the oven. I had to keep a hand on it at all times. Pull the foam down too slowly, and it would tighten up on the rollers, causing it to drag through the vinyl and ruin material, create gaps, etc. Pull too hard and the whole roll would start unraveling and dump in front of you and be fed into the machine, starting a massive fire and forcing a machine shutdown.

Basically pull repeatedly on material at the same exact pace over your head all day, with brief periods of absolute panic when someone on the line drops the ball for a moment. I think they paid $17/hr at the time, and they couldn't keep people in that department more than a few months at a time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

I’m at work 50 hours per week, commute 14 hours per week, spend 8 hours per week at the gym, spend an average of 4-8 hours per week cycling, and have 4 kids. My wife works about the same hours I do but commutes less.

Same, but I work harder and cycle more than you.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fame Douglas posted:

Same, but I work harder and cycle more than you.

:piss:

Octopoon
Jan 22, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i work sixty hours per week, spend twelve at the gym, another six chopping wood and another six climbing mountains without gear, most weeks i fit in an hour of shark-wrestling, i have nine children and my wife is a side of beef

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I've achieved CHIM so your linear concept of time is beneath me.

ALMSIVI

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I work approx. 27 hours a week, volunteer maybe 3 hours and commute for about 9 hours.

Other than the commute it's pretty all right.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

All dick measuring aside, if you ever have to ask the question what constitutes a "day", that's another very strong indication you're working too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

BrandorKP posted:

All dick measuring aside, if you ever have to ask the question what constitutes a "day", that's another very strong indication you're working too much.

I just get this effect from my overnight warehouse work, and that's only 45 a week.