Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

according to this article, the dutch saw the russians phishing the us state department in november (what year?), and they told the nsa, and the nsa and fbi responded within 24 hours? and then the state department took down their email servers "for a whole weekend in order to upgrade the security"

then they describe what a phishing attack is, then they talk about what the dutch and american hacker teams do. besides, i don't even remember any big news coming from state department emails. there were the emails on hillary's personal server, which wasn't at the state department, and there was the podesta emails, who also didn't work for the state department. seems like this has less to do with the us election than russia's facebook spend

Yeah the article kind of sucks (and so does the translation imo) but if this is true then it's pretty awesome imo that they managed to gain such a level of access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Yeah the article kind of sucks (and so does the translation imo) but if this is true then it's pretty awesome imo that they managed to gain such a level of access
it is, and i'd like to hear more about that, but of the 1-2.5 years they had this access the most interesting thing is a 24-hour period during which they sent phishing emails to the us state department? that blows

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
oops!

Tech firms let Russia probe software widely used by U.S. government

Reuters posted:

Major global technology providers SAP (SAPG.DE), Symantec (SYMC.O) and McAfee have allowed Russian authorities to hunt for vulnerabilities in software deeply embedded across the U.S. government, a Reuters investigation has found.

The practice potentially jeopardizes the security of computer networks in at least a dozen federal agencies, U.S. lawmakers and security experts said. It involves more companies and a broader swath of the government than previously reported.

In order to sell in the Russian market, the tech companies let a Russian defense agency scour the inner workings, or source code, of some of their products. Russian authorities say the reviews are necessary to detect flaws that could be exploited by hackers.

But those same products protect some of the most sensitive areas of the U.S government, including the Pentagon, NASA, the State Department, the FBI and the intelligence community, against hacking by sophisticated cyber adversaries like Russia.

Reuters revealed in October that Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE.N) software known as ArcSight, used to help secure the Pentagon’s computers, had been reviewed by a Russian military contractor with close ties to Russia’s security services.

Now, a Reuters review of hundreds of U.S. federal procurement documents and Russian regulatory records shows that the potential risks to the U.S. government from Russian source code reviews are more widespread.

Beyond the Pentagon, ArcSight is used in at least seven other agencies, including the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the State Department's intelligence unit, the review showed. Additionally, products made by SAP, Symantec and McAfee and reviewed by Russian authorities are used in at least eight agencies. Some agencies use more than one of the four products.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-russia/tech-firms-let-russia-probe-software-widely-used-by-u-s-government-idUSKBN1FE1DT

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fishmech posted:

there is such a thing as falling for scammy companies that will you sell you it, probably.

yeah and there are also hipaa audits which are various levels of same.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

how is this an oops? if they want to sell software to the russians this is sop

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

welcome to procurement?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

how is this an oops? if they want to sell software to the russians this is sop
yeah lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kaspersky provided or intended to provide source code access to the US govt for the exact same reasons

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol this is literally routine poo poo that we do [...] but now [russia is doing it] and waa-waa-waa

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

oh no the russians might be able to figure out that sep is poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they should put a column for “Linux” up there too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

have you looked at the current state of standardized infosec testing and certification

I’m not really familiar with them because I don’t make decisions based off someone’s testing and certification. Can you be more explicit about what you’re getting at?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
they don't mean anything, as you just implied

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

have you looked at the current state of standardized infosec testing and certification

It gives you a perfect way to "bad culture fit" any applicant you don't like, whether they have a certification (poseur) or they don't (unproven).

Certifications are great!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The reversers I know can read binary better than source so I’m not sure this matters at all.

e: edited this for accuracy

Evis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 26, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hed posted:

I’m not really familiar with them because I don’t make decisions based off someone’s testing and certification. Can you be more explicit about what you’re getting at?
that's weird because it looked like you were either suggesting that one of them become the new official certification, or that you think throwing another one on the pile would make a difference

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was trying to point out that I haven’t seen licensure solve the purported problems in other engineering fields so I don’t see how going down the path in software and infosec would make a difference.
In other words, proposals sound great around the dinner table but based on how I believe it would be legislated it would accomplish little positive. State by state licensure and leaving industry exemptions (which industry would demand being in any legislation in the US) would make it completely pointless while raising barriers to entry, a net negative for society.
If I really wanted to put a dent in the problem I believe the least worst solution would be to put real penalties behind undesired outcomes, in the vein of HIPPA as discussed previously. As it is I’m skeptical because racking up pointless credit monitoring seems to be the currently anchored “penalty” for poor decisions.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Evis posted:

The reversers I know can read binary better than source so I’m not sure this matters at all.

e: edited this for accuracy

well yeah if you throw code into binja you get a nice flowchart instead of someone else's c

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SEP endpoint is actually "okay" for an AV product these days (they're all poo poo) but oh boy is the management platform a soft loving target with system/root hooks in to every single system on the network

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Seems like Cisco AMP and Cisco VPN breaks a lot of things these days, I wouldn't be surprised if its vulnerable as hell.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:allears:

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/956628910308982785

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm poor smelly mezzanine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im (?: [Two three four five] (?: son | daughter)) (?: parents)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the rest of that thread is rad but what about the text file itself?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

1+ just can't stop selling phones with exfil and backdoors!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jonny 290 posted:

any yosposter has a standing offer to come pet the cats if they visit denver, but im smokin u out and we dont play around

im down

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this guy runs android police dot com https://twitter.com/ArtemR/status/956966193625120768

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*woop*woop* it’s the android police

*woop*woop* it’s a site for the obese

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Hed posted:

I was trying to point out that I haven’t seen licensure solve the purported problems in other engineering fields so I don’t see how going down the path in software and infosec would make a difference.
In other words, proposals sound great around the dinner table but based on how I believe it would be legislated it would accomplish little positive. State by state licensure and leaving industry exemptions (which industry would demand being in any legislation in the US) would make it completely pointless while raising barriers to entry, a net negative for society.
If I really wanted to put a dent in the problem I believe the least worst solution would be to put real penalties behind undesired outcomes, in the vein of HIPPA as discussed previously. As it is I’m skeptical because racking up pointless credit monitoring seems to be the currently anchored “penalty” for poor decisions.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted: