Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nessus posted:

This was a pretty hot topic at the time of the 1960s though, there were all these books about how real soon now there's gonna be massive ongoing famine in India and most non-North American countries and hoo boy just you look out. (It was unclear how their populations would continue ballooning in such conditions.)

The original story draft had stuff about food rationing, which would've been interesting, but instead we got another Kirk romance of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't climate change going to do exactly that ?

Much like population growth, it depends a lot on what we can do to mitigate/combat the bad effects.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They really didn't. Season 3's budget was slashed hard and Shatner and Nimoy got pay bumps. Before Bob Justman quit, he was bitching about how it felt like they were producing a radio show at times.

Close. He said "we might have had the money to do a really good radio show."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't climate change going to do exactly that ?
It won't do us any favors, but a lot of these scenarios depend on a straight extrapolation of present trends, which are not always actually reliable indicators since other poo poo happens. For instance, the famine guys would've probably been right IF for some reason it was impossible to meaningfully improve agricultural yields over those of the 60s.

TOS is just old enough that its material does in fact come from a substantially different world view. I mean look at this talk of rationing. We haven't had rationed consumer anything (except, of course, rationing on ability-to-pay) in the West for at least a full generation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's also worth mentioning that overpopulation worries date back to at least the 19th century when people thought it was responsible for the mass European migration to America. Bear in mind that there were only 1 billion people on Earth at the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

It won't do us any favors, but a lot of these scenarios depend on a straight extrapolation of present trends, which are not always actually reliable indicators since other poo poo happens. For instance, the famine guys would've probably been right IF for some reason it was impossible to meaningfully improve agricultural yields over those of the 60s.

Yeah, wheat yield per acre now is like around times what it was in 1960 and something like 20 times what it was in 1800.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Late 18th century at least, Malthus was the first guy to conceptualize history as leading to a situation where we’d turbofuck ourselves by having too many kids.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm in a chemistry of the environment class right now guys. Climate change is bad. It's really bad. The most likely scenario if everyone continues to do little or nothing is 6 degrees by 2100. The Paris agreement's goal of 2 degrees by 2100 is a polite fiction at this point. We're almost certainly going to reach 1 degree warming within 10 years. 4 degrees by 2100 is starting to look like a victory.

Maybe we'll get lucky. But at this point we are dumping carbon into the atmosphere faster than the event that caused the Eocene thermal maximum, and that was a +8 degree change. That's palm trees at the south pole. We are currently at about 10% of that Eocene carbon outgassing, and we're putting it into the atmosphere much faster.

Maybe we get lucky and feedback mechanisms are weaker than the projections assume, but right now actual data is tracking worst case scenario projections from the early 2000s.

Climate change is really bad. You almost can't have a conversation with someone who hasn't been following it without sounding like a lunatic because what is culturally considered possible and what the data says is possible are so divergent.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 26, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

Soylent Green's world population figure was lower than the actual present day.

Asimov's "Caves of Steel" (1954) has a chronically overpopulated Earth with claustrophobic underground cities needed to accommodate a population of... eight billion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm in a chemistry of the environment class right now guys. Climate change is bad. It's really bad. The most likely scenario if everyone continues to do little or nothing is 6 degrees by 2100. The Paris agreement's goal of 2 degrees by 2100 is a polite fiction at this point. We're almost certainly going to reach 1 degree warming within 10 years. 4 degrees by 2100 is starting to look like a victory.

Maybe we'll get lucky. But at this point we are dumping carbon into the atmosphere faster than the event that caused the Eocene thermal maximum, and that was a +8 degree change. That's palm trees at the south pole. We are currently at about 10% of that Eocene carbon outgassing, and we're putting it into the atmosphere much faster.

Maybe we get lucky and feedback mechanisms are weaker than the projections assume, but right now actual data is tracking worst case scenario projections from the early 2000s.

Climate change is really bad. You almost can't have a conversation with someone who hasn't been following it without sounding like a lunatic because what is culturally considered possible and what the data says is possible are so divergent.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the south pole a lot colder than -8° C? I don't see how that admittedly drastic number puts Antarctica into a tropical climate. This thread's not really the place for an in-depth climate discussion but I have to ask because that seems, well, lunacy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on S1 E20? The one with religion and school. gently caress Kira and Bajorans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the south pole a lot colder than -8° C? I don't see how that admittedly drastic number puts Antarctica into a tropical climate. This thread's not really the place for an in-depth climate discussion but I have to ask because that seems, well, lunacy.

That 8 C is a global average, not local. Currently the world's warmed I think just shy of 1 C but the arctic has already gone up 10 or 15.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

It’s an average temperature over the whole surface of the earth. Average temperature difference between now and the last ice age was about 5° C. Changes in temp that sound small on the scale of your cup of coffee, constitute a really big change on the scale of a planet. Also the fact that it’s an average obfuscates that local temp changes will be larger at the poles than at the equator.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Spot is going to have kittens, Data is going to be a grandad!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grand Fromage posted:

That 8 C is a global average, not local. Currently the world's warmed I think just shy of 1 C but the arctic has already gone up 10 or 15.

These are the numbers they should be leading with!

Angry Salami posted:

Asimov's "Caves of Steel" (1954) has a chronically overpopulated Earth with claustrophobic underground cities needed to accommodate a population of... eight billion.

I think they originally hosed up the surface somehow, but the Spacers helped them fix it. They're all Agoraphobics now, though, so no one ever goes outside if they can help it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

I think they originally hosed up the surface somehow, but the Spacers helped them fix it. They're all Agoraphobics now, though, so no one ever goes outside if they can help it.
Yeah when the books start I gather Earth is under the slim, robot-loving fist of Johnny Spacer but in the course of the books that changes. Of course they also do something to make Earth very gradually uninhabitable so people have to leave, and since they already hate and fear robots, they will instead etc. etc.

I didn't find the vision all that horrifying but I gather it was an extrapolation from New York City, and New York City is hardly a horrifying hellscape in which humanity cannot survive.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Yeah when the books start I gather Earth is under the slim, robot-loving fist of Johnny Spacer but in the course of the books that changes. Of course they also do something to make Earth very gradually uninhabitable so people have to leave, and since they already hate and fear robots, they will instead etc. etc.

I didn't find the vision all that horrifying but I gather it was an extrapolation from New York City, and New York City is hardly a horrifying hellscape in which humanity cannot survive.

Oh, I don't know. I've been there. How about "one's humanity"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh, I don't know. I've been there. How about "one's humanity"?
If one's humanity can make it there, one's humanity can make it anywhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I typed up a whole long thing but, basically, the consequences are very bad, and US discourse has gone backwards in the last 15 years. US conservatives have been subject to a very successful campaign to tie climate change denial with their political identity. But nobody is immune to normalcy bias. When DoD studies project population flows in the hundred of millions or fine-grained flooding studies predict that the Florida Keys are a total write-off and most of San Diego, Savannah and Newark will need sea walls to remain economically useful, it's easier to just kind of not process that because it's so outside of what we consider normal. Normalcy bias is a big impediment to public understanding of climate change.

And as for the original question, everybody else beat me to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beachcomber posted:

These are the numbers they should be leading with!

Yeah. It's a hard issue to explain because it's so complicated, there's no good way to simplify it. Like right now, Antarctica is getting increased snowfall because of ocean warming. It's real easy to see how someone is like "hurr how warming make more snow???" so you have to explain how warmer ocean -> more evaporation -> more humidity -> more snow. Or how warming can make winter actually colder in some places by loving up atmospheric air currents.

I also think a lot of end of the world rhetoric poisoned the well. It's not the end of the world, even in the worst case scenario. Humanity will survive, we're hard to kill. loving up the planet permanently isn't really doable short of slamming Ceres into it or something. But we can gently caress up our ability to live in a comfortable, modern civilization and seem hell bent on doing it. That should've always been the focus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well it's theoretically possible to kill the oceans thoroughly enough that the atmosphere would no longer support human life. Crank up the acidity and UV light high enough and rapidly enough and it might work. It would probably take a few hundred years even after you killed the phytoplankton for the oxygen in the atmosphere to drop to levels that no longer support human life.

You'd have to be really loving dumb to do it by accident.

Sounds like a Star Trek episode.

Graphic scenes as people in first-world countries scrabble over the planet's most vital resources:

https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/956748327722221568

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 26, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Genesis bomb sounds much faster and more reliable.

You know, DID they ever use it as a terraforming tool? It seems like a tactical Genesis device would be a great help in repairing a badly damaged planet or turning a shithole planet into a decent one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Completely killing the oceans would do the job. But I'm with you that I don't see how you do it without intentionally trying. We're going to kill off everything worth eating except maybe like squid and shrimp but getting rid of all the cyanobacteria and plankton doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

You know, DID they ever use it as a terraforming tool? It seems like a tactical Genesis device would be a great help in repairing a badly damaged planet or turning a shithole planet into a decent one.

Well there's that small problem with the planet becoming violently unstable and blowing up after a few months...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Well there's that small problem with the planet becoming violently unstable and blowing up after a few months...
But that was in a planetary disk, wasn't it? The planet itself was created by all the space magic. Presumably on a normal planet it would have an actual planet to anchor on!

There would have been dark comedy if that was what the Romulan/Cardassian fleet tried to do to the Founders.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

McSpanky posted:

To be fair, they set the drat thing off inside a nebula. Which somehow caused a planet to form, which seems a little outside Genesis' job description. Starting with an actual planet could yield better results.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it had to make a little star too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How did it know to do that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, it was flawed through and through. It was the protomatter stuff, David and Saavik have a scene about it.

In the novelization of ST:III, they go back to the Regula I caves on the way to the Genesis planet and it's all hosed in there too as foreshadowning. It's all overgrown and the plants are reaching the end of their evolutionary lines and dying off.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Rewatching Future Imperfect and I love the speed that Riker goes from "well I'm really really trying but this all seems like a stretch" to "gently caress all of this, eat poo poo everyone" when the Minuet reveal happens. It's one of those excellent peak Riker moments.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

J33uk posted:

Rewatching Future Imperfect and I love the speed that Riker goes from "well I'm really really trying but this all seems like a stretch" to "gently caress all of this, eat poo poo everyone" when the Minuet reveal happens. It's one of those excellent peak Riker moments.

Between that, "Frame of Mind", and "Allegiance", one wonders how often Riker's mistakenly jumped to the "gently caress you, you're not the real Picard!" conclusion on the bridge.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

skasion posted:

Late 18th century at least, Malthus was the first guy to conceptualize history as leading to a situation where we’d turbofuck ourselves by having too many kids.

And it’s in sci-fi literature of the 40s and 50s I remember the term “Malthusian” as a phrase for contraception. Like Stranger in a Strange Land.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

There's still that small issue, beyond the instability problem, of it wiping out whatever's left in favor of something entirely new. That's why they had such trouble finding a suitable test planet, they needed something totally barren without already-existing life forms, even a microbe would be a show stopper.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
IMHO, we're inadvertently participating in a form of global terraforming. The solution rises from that point quite easily.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

Between that, "Frame of Mind", and "Allegiance", one wonders how often Riker's mistakenly jumped to the "gently caress you, you're not the real Picard!" conclusion on the bridge.

"I said shut up! As in sit down and stop talking!"

"Oh lord, he thinks he's on a fake Enterprise again. Deanna, would you mind?"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

bull3964 posted:

No, it was flawed through and through. It was the protomatter stuff, David and Saavik have a scene about it.

In the novelization of ST:III, they go back to the Regula I caves on the way to the Genesis planet and it's all hosed in there too as foreshadowning. It's all overgrown and the plants are reaching the end of their evolutionary lines and dying off.

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock posted:

SAAVIK: It's time for total truth between us. This planet is not what you intended, or hoped for, is it?
DAVID: Not exactly.
SAAVIK: Why?
DAVID: I used protomatter in the Genesis matrix.
SAAVIK: Protomatter. An unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable.
DAVID: But it was the only way to solve certain problems.
SAAVIK: So, like your father, you changed the rules.
DAVID: If I hadn't, it might have been years, ...or never!
SAAVIK: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? ...And what is yet to come?
Genesis flat-out didn't work as advertised. It's possible that, down the road, it could, but most likely not. But from an 'ongoing story' standpoint, they couldn't have had Genesis be usable, or there'd be no way to explain why people aren't using it all over the drat place. For example: 'we can transport across interstellar distances now' or 'why haven't we hooked the Botany Bay survivors up to constant blood extraction devices' from Star Trek: Into Darkness.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Do bajorans ever get better?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Do bajorans ever get better?

A contentious question

Not really, though. They change the least over the series, probably.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Bloop posted:

A contentious question

Not really, though. They change the least over the series, probably.

You see the best of bajorans in the first two seasons, and then after that they become more one-note as the story transitions away from bajor's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean space pope mcnasty is a pretty interesting and sometimes compelling character but that's about it.

(some of the last part with dukat might compel you to retch)