Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phy posted:

*Aside from her occasional tendency to nod off back there, what the gently caress sweetie

:stonk: what the gently caress do you do with a sleeping pillion? How do you even know it happened if not for her falling off the back?

“IF YOU CAN READ THIS THE BITCH FELL ASLEEP”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's really only happened twice, I think. First time, we were renting a Harley Electraglide, so she was pretty securely contained. Second time was on my Wee, which I also had a backrest installed on it. Both times, she told me she nodded off afterwards, and I gave her grief for it. Now I give her knee a shake every once in a while just to make sure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

It's really only happened twice, I think. First time, we were renting a Harley Electraglide, so she was pretty securely contained. Second time was on my Wee, which I also had a backrest installed on it. Both times, she told me she nodded off afterwards, and I gave her grief for it. Now I pop a wheelie every once in a while just to make sure.

Fixed for how you should be doing things.

pokie posted:

Can you buy tires with insurance in UK? Might be worth it while you live next to a site like this.

Don't think I've ever heard of tyre insurance, can't think of any way that wouldn't end up getting abused to gently caress.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MomJeans420 posted:

Started up no problem this morning in what counts as cold for LA weather (48 degrees), but I brought the charger with me in case it won't start when I go to leave work.
Dude buy a portable usb powerpack jump starter, it's basically the only thing which has kept me going all winter as the bike lives outside and every Monday never has enough juice (Plus I got to be a cool guy and jump a colleagues car at work).

Since yesterday there was a deal on Amazon to get £10 off your order I bought a CTEK MXS 3.8 charger, I've been fretting about replacing the battery but this thing says I'm good to go with no conditioning so I guess it's just the cold doing its job.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Got the headphones talk from a coworker while I was gearing up to go home today. Yes, please non-rider, tell me more about how music is dangerously distracting to me, more so than trying to put up with incessant white noise and stop my thoughts from wandering through sheer force of will, while continuing to think that your car radio is fine somehow :argh:

Doubly annoying because quite a lot of people in this office have ridden at some point but they'd all gone home already.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Renaissance Robot posted:

while continuing to think that your car radio is fine somehow :argh:

I have seen so many riders themselves make this argument about things like the Sena :negative:

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I have seen so many riders themselves make this argument about things like the Sena :negative:

I've tried riding with music and can't get into it. I even commute a lot, and I'd still rather hear the sound of the bike than music. Sena-like headsets are awesome for GPS though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I listen to music I like it makes me ride like twice as fast and much more aggressively so I don't do that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It does the same for me, my riding theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeG89FKJEq4

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Sena-like headsets are awesome for GPS though.

I feel like Master Chief getting directions right into my ear like that.

Sagebrush posted:

If I listen to music I like it makes me ride like twice as fast and much more aggressively so I don't do that.

I banned myself from listening to drum & bass while riding (and driving) for that reason.

Speaking of drums, taiko drumming is my jam for riding trails.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I banned myself from listening to drum & bass while riding (and driving) for that reason.

Well yeah, that's a thing with me too, which is why I tend to restrict my listening to electronica on the road since its steady beat keeps me doing head checks and most importantly stops me from thinking.

If there's no interesting noise I tend to zone out and start talking to myself about random bullshit, and that's dangerous because when I start thinking I stop paying attention to what's around me and oh hey when did I get inside the back of this car? :downsgun:

I appreciate that it's different for everybody! I would like if other people could also appreciate that and realise that I know me better than they do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I honestly like the sounds of riding (after earplugs block a good 33db or so). The engine, the intake, the transmission, road noise, I like all of it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I like to play hip hop or r&b, loudly sing along with it, and dance the whole time. Bobbing my head, tapping my feet, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I honestly like the sounds of riding (after earplugs block a good 33db or so). The engine, the intake, the transmission, road noise, I like all of it.

Same. Music is really distracting, the best sound is blipping down through the gears into a corner or getting a roll-on just right. But I don't ride motorways or traffic.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mostly footbridges right?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coredump posted:

Mostly footbridges right?

nah, he lives under those

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nsaP posted:

It does the same for me, my riding theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeG89FKJEq4

I loving love Griz.

https://soundcloud.com/griz/smash-the-funk-forthcoming

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I did not know about Griz but now I do and the world is a little bit brighter

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Only one interested party in my drz that is for sale and I already hate dealing with it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Griz is the broest poo poo and I love him.
Also try Pretty Lights, Gramatik, and sometimes Big Gigantic, but especially Pretty Lights.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Griz is the broest poo poo and I love him.
Also try Pretty Lights, Gramatik, and sometimes Big Gigantic, but especially Pretty Lights.

Comedy option: moon hooch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fuckin busybody neighbours bitching about me running my bike for 30 drat seconds

No, I'm not leaving for work right now, at 5 in the loving evening. Yes, I'll be done soon. Yes I know it's right behind your perfect little privet hedge and you can hear it through your window, this is the closest piece of usable flat road that nobody's trying to drive or park or walk on. No, I can't afford to get it towed away where you don't need to see it and have someone else work on it.

Yes, I will take it back to my usual parking spot 12 feet away down the hill when I'm done. :rolleyes:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fuckin busybody neighbours bitching about me running my bike for 30 drat seconds

No, I'm not leaving for work right now, at 5 in the loving evening. Yes, I'll be done soon. Yes I know it's right behind your perfect little privet hedge and you can hear it through your window, this is the closest piece of usable flat road that nobody's trying to drive or park or walk on. No, I can't afford to get it towed away where you don't need to see it and have someone else work on it.

Yes, I will take it back to my usual parking spot 12 feet away down the hill when I'm done. :rolleyes:
i'm glad i have a garage or i don't think i'd be able to escape wrath from when i start the tuono up with the enrichening lever turned up at 5 AM in the morning

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Wait, you're working on your bike at 5 in the morning? I'd be pissed if I was your neighbor too.

E: sorry, merged this and razzled's posts in my head. Yeah, 5 in the evening means I'm bouncing it off the rev limiter if they're complaining.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 31, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I had a neighbor get all pissy with me for idling my bike at 8pm to warm it up. It's a stock CB750, not a loving straight-pipe Harley.
He walked right up to me very aggressively and started the conversation with "you're gonna turn that off right now!"

I apologized and explained that I was just warming the bike up while I put my gear on.
He didn't like that very much and started ordering me to turn the bike off, bossing me around, telling me how to live my life, calling me names, telling me how inconsiderate I was, and so on.

So naturally, I bought like 12 more bikes and started working on them at all hours of the night.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Take the header off.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Someone needs to make a small device that hooks your battery tender leads up to the electric car charging stations, so you can get a quick charge at work or places that have it if you think you need it. (I know the voltage is way too high etc, but someone make this happen)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Alternatively, buy an alternator for your bike.

It's like a tiny EV charging station that lives inside your bike.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Doesn't charge my bike well on my short ride to work (in terms of battery life, not starting day to day)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Option 1: leave earlier and go the fun long way to work
Option 2: buy a scooter and stop torturing your bike, if the battery isn't getting enough charge then your spark plugs and oil aren't coming up to temp either
Option 3: convert to a total loss electrical system, go everywhere with a battery tender and 50m extension lead

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Definitely #3.

The bike gets plenty warm, but someone said a 15 min ride each way is probably why my battery only made it a year. My recent tender purchase will probably help with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What bike? Most bikes don't charge the battery unless you're above a given RPM so you might only be charging for a few minutes out of that fifteen.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Daytona 675, and unless I'm on the freeway I'm usually cruising around 5k RPM out of a 14k redline. Word on the daytona forums is that the battery is definitely not charging at idle, especially since I always have my brights on and the fan is usually running, and my usual route to work involves a shitload of stop signs and speed bumps. I've been changing it up and taking a way that keeps me moving more, if only because constant stop signs get old really fast with my bike's seating position.

The answer is I need to get out and ride the canyons more.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

What bike? Most bikes don't charge the battery unless you're above a given RPM so you might only be charging for a few minutes out of that fifteen.

I think that was true for like, bikes in the 80s

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

nsaP posted:

I think that was true for like, bikes in the 80s

If you have a zenner diode based R/R yes. When the battery is charged those R/R's shunt all voltage to ground, and basically cook themselves, the wires, connectors and stator. Most newer bikes have a solid state one that is much more reliable and isnt as prone to cooking off. If you decide to upgrade, be sure you don't get a chinese knock off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uhh no, it's a well established thing that's true for a bunch of fairly modern bikes.

Even if you're seeing a good charging voltage at idle, what charges the battery is actually current and a lot of stator/RR combos punch out loving negligible amperage at idle. I get the feeling it might be an intentional decision for the lesser of two evils cause if you have a really grunty stator that can run lights and charge the battery etc at idle you end up working the RR too hard at higher revs.

I know of one greybeard engine builder who deliberately disconnects one of the three stator wires on VFR800's so as to prolong RR life, the battery still charges fine if you're actually riding the bike.

E: beaten. I'll add that the overwhelming majority of brand new bikes still have zener diode RR's for what I assume are monetary reasons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imo you should just get one of those little bicycle wheel friction dynamos and hook it into your electrical system for a little extra charging boost. No need to mess with the engine internals at all

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Well the Daytonas did have a problem with their R/R (already fixed on mine), and it's British electronics, so nothing really surprises me, even if it's fixed on modern bikes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
All these are reasons I put a Honda CBR solid state R/R on my Suzuki. Other than the fact the old one literally caught on fire in traffic.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's got to total the bike, right?