Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean I can’t really handle non American standup. If you like Russell Peters you might enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is explicitly a fantasy (a dark one). I mean the prison system is terrible, but the film takes it into literally absurd territory, and it owns.

I honestly thought Don Johnson's character didn't make a lot of sense. Is he being sadistic to the protagonist because he's on the take from cartel guy (I don't think I caught anyone's names and if I did, they didn't really stick), or is he just being sadistic to the protagonist because he's a total rear end in a top hat? If the former, what the gently caress is that last shot about? It's not like he stands to gain anything from revenge given that everyone in the cartel who actually matters is a pile of red mush, and they establish that he knows more or less what's going on, so he doesn't have any real reason to believe that the protagonist will cause him any more trouble. Did he basically just blow the guy's head apart for random shits and giggles?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Open House is super dumb

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly thought Don Johnson's character didn't make a lot of sense. Is he being sadistic to the protagonist because he's on the take from cartel guy (I don't think I caught anyone's names and if I did, they didn't really stick), or is he just being sadistic to the protagonist because he's a total rear end in a top hat? If the former, what the gently caress is that last shot about? Did he basically just blow the guy's head apart for random shits and giggles?

He's just a sadistic rear end in a top hat.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

precision posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is explicitly a fantasy (a dark one). I mean the prison system is terrible, but the film takes it into literally absurd territory, and it owns.

Right, it's almost like Hobo With A Shotgun in its gleeful violence.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly thought Don Johnson's character didn't make a lot of sense. Is he being sadistic to the protagonist because he's on the take from cartel guy (I don't think I caught anyone's names and if I did, they didn't really stick), or is he just being sadistic to the protagonist because he's a total rear end in a top hat? If the former, what the gently caress is that last shot about? It's not like he stands to gain anything from revenge given that everyone in the cartel who actually matters is a pile of red mush, and they establish that he knows more or less what's going on, so he doesn't have any real reason to believe that the protagonist will cause him any more trouble. Did he basically just blow the guy's head apart for random shits and giggles?

He's a total sadist prison warden to be sure, but in the short term he merks Vaughn as an immediate reaction to being misled about and then seeing his dead guard. And he also has to send a message to the rest of the prisoners that he's in absolute control over life and death in CB99.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Update just finished Open House
I'm angry how lovely it is and just pointlessly dark

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the first half is promising and it jut totally shits the bed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

So Open House totally deserves the 3.4 IMDB score?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix is pretty great. David Wain movie about Doug Kenney and the National Lampoon starring a billion or so comic actors.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix is pretty great. David Wain movie about Doug Kenney and the National Lampoon starring a billion or so comic actors.

Yeah if you're a comedy nerd it'll hit your pleasure centers pretty hard. Watching some of today's best comedic actors play yesterday's is a real treat.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I watched the remake of Ben Hur on Prime. When the movie came out, I saw several different ad campaigns for it, which made me think they didn't really have any idea who the audience for the movie was. After actually watching the movie, I have absolutely no idea who the intended audience for this movie is. It's equal parts dull, preachy and inexplicably weird (I can get behind weird, but the movie never fully commits to it). There's too little action in the movie to make it even a dumb popcorn flick, but at the same time it's way too gory for the church crowd.

Watching it I honestly can't tell if they started with a subpar action movie that they tried to shoehorn a bunch of religious nonsense into in a desperate attempt to save the movie. Or if they started with a ridiculous religious movie that they tried to save by throwing in some blood and guts. I refuse to believe that this Frankenstein's monster of a film was the original intent.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks for the heads up, this was great and didn't show up under any of my recommendations at all

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

Thanks for the heads up, this was great and didn't show up under any of my recommendations at all

Yeah, I had a hard time finding it again when I wanted to check and make sure I had the name right.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

rngd in the womb posted:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/i-am-not-your-negro/

Free to stream. A documentary that seems necessary today, and feels like a gut punch all the way through. The hell-raising clips that the director uses to juxtapose with the narration can make everything seem futile, but there's lots of hope to be found in the ending of the documentary. I think it's on Amazon Prime, too, but it's PBS and not Amazon!

Bumping since this is online until tomorrow on PBS (for those who don't have prime). Definitely a must watch and phenomenal narration by Samuel L. Jackson!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Simplex posted:

I watched the remake of Ben Hur on Prime. When the movie came out, I saw several different ad campaigns for it, which made me think they didn't really have any idea who the audience for the movie was. After actually watching the movie, I have absolutely no idea who the intended audience for this movie is. It's equal parts dull, preachy and inexplicably weird (I can get behind weird, but the movie never fully commits to it). There's too little action in the movie to make it even a dumb popcorn flick, but at the same time it's way too gory for the church crowd.

Watching it I honestly can't tell if they started with a subpar action movie that they tried to shoehorn a bunch of religious nonsense into in a desperate attempt to save the movie. Or if they started with a ridiculous religious movie that they tried to save by throwing in some blood and guts. I refuse to believe that this Frankenstein's monster of a film was the original intent.

That sums up my feelings on the Ben Hur remake pretty much.

Though I have to ask, did you burst into inappropriate laughter when the stepbrother(?) was revealed to still be alive? Because man oh man, that twist was so goddamn stupid I just lost it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I don't know if we can talk about rented movies on Amazon but holy poo poo I am in love with Blade Runner 2049. It nailed the feel of the first movie and Ryan Gosling is my man crush.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I don't know if we can talk about rented movies on Amazon but holy poo poo I am in love with Blade Runner 2049. It nailed the feel of the first movie and Ryan Gosling is my man crush.

I honestly think it's better than the original, and I love the original.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think general consensus is avoid the rental movies because that's basically every movie that's been released which makes the thread nothing more than another general movie thread, but man, Ryan Gosling is really good looking isn't he? Probably Bautista's best performance yet too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I think it's good to include rental movies to a degree, especially when it's small stuff that got a simultaneous streaming theater release. Stuff like the Babadook got a lot of discussion here. There are probably better places to discuss Blade Runner, but movie owns so I'm not complaining.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah I don’t mind the conversation steering towards rental movies every now and then.

However, there is a BladeRunner 2049 thread to talk about that movie in.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Little late to the party, but Brawl in Cell Block 99 was loving nuts. Definitely Vaughn's best performance.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Way better then Fred Clause

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Day for The Cut is a pretty decent revenge/crime flick. it's pretty standard issue and not anything to write home about, but it's all around pretty enjoyable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aw man, I got all excited to watch Taken, and it's a drat TV show.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, I liked Bad Day For the Cut too. Your standard ‘man goes on a quest for revenge’ plot, and nothing all that groundbreaking, but I was very charmed by the bumbling Polack sidekick.

Land of Mine is a good flick on Prime, but it’s a real downer. It’s about German POWs forced to clear mines by hand on the beach.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

veni veni veni posted:

Aw man, I got all excited to watch Taken, and it's a drat TV show.

it's atrocious

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Taken isn't very good either. The movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No but it's pretty fun to watch once in a while.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

That sums up my feelings on the Ben Hur remake pretty much.

Though I have to ask, did you burst into inappropriate laughter when the stepbrother(?) was revealed to still be alive? Because man oh man, that twist was so goddamn stupid I just lost it.

I didn't laugh, but yeah, everything after the chariot race is completely ridiculous. That scene in particular is beyond awful. Poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

One more thing, then back to streaming chat — Blade Runner 2049 is available in 4K HDR on iTunes and it looks incredible on an OLED. Blindingly bright contrasted with inky black, and a huge dynamic range in the sound. It could be a reference movie for new TVs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

Taken isn't very good either. The movie.

It’s a decent movie, and when it came out it was different enough from the other mid 2000s action movies to be a breath of fresh air. Then it did well and they beat the “retired badass comes back for vengeance” thing to death.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jungle is up on prime. Despite mixed reviews I thought it was really solid and recommend it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Did A Stupid and Futile Gesture just come out on Netflix? I stumbled across it and it's really funny with a solid ensemble cast spearheaded by Will Forte. The dramatic bits fall a little flat, which is a shame, but overall it's an enjoyable movie and a neat subject if you have any interest in the development of late 20th century American comedy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They tricked me with the narrative device because I didn't know anything about the National Lampoon guy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Randomly put on Dave Made a Maze on Hulu and it was loving awesome. Glad I went into it knowing nothing more than the description though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lycus posted:

They tricked me with the narrative device because I didn't know anything about the National Lampoon guy.

:same:

I was like ‘wait, what?!’ when it got to the end. I got a kick out of the scene with the tennis balls full of coke though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fishtobaskets posted:

Did A Stupid and Futile Gesture just come out on Netflix? I stumbled across it and it's really funny with a solid ensemble cast spearheaded by Will Forte. The dramatic bits fall a little flat, which is a shame, but overall it's an enjoyable movie and a neat subject if you have any interest in the development of late 20th century American comedy.

It wasn't bad. Thomas Lennon really killed it as Michael O'Donoghue.

I recommend Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon. It's a documentary that covers a lot of same stuff but it's way better. And Netflix has Caddyshack if for some insane reason you haven't steen it yet. Also Hulu has the first 5 seasons of SNL if you want to see the real versions of some of the characters from that movie.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 28, 2018

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

even with LotR on netflix I'm not all that tempted to rewatch it, yet I've marathoned the making-of multiple times through. Not sure if that says more about me or the movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movies are nowhere near as good as Dead Alice or fuckin meet the feeblels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Simplex posted:

I didn't laugh, but yeah, everything after the chariot race is completely ridiculous. That scene in particular is beyond awful. Poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited.

It just hit me as so drat bizarre and out of left field because they had that extended shot of Ben Hur watching the revelers parading Messala’s ‘corpse’ around. I guess he was just knocked out really hard?

And agreed on the editing. The chariot race had like, no cohesion and I couldn’t tell where each racer was in relation to the others during that scene.

And I mean, rabble rabble they altered the plot but the changes were so weird. Like changing up the whole warship/becoming a charioteer portion and taking Balthazar out of the story. Then again I can see why they’d try to tighten it up since the original was like, four hours.

Just a string of bad decisions all around. But in general it seems like those ‘ancient times epic movies’ from the last few years have all gone over like a fart in church.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 28, 2018