Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Under the old system my Anaconda could do 66ly max.

Under the new system with shield and SRV:

No shield or SRV:

I like the changes because now I can god roll everything and choose which side effect to use.

Also I was able to test the FSD mods and found that FSD mass manager was best for my Anaconda, followed closely by the one that lets you use extra fuel and in a distant third place was the one that makes the FSD lighter. This stuff is good to know and it would be crazy to try and figure out with the old system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

:guinness:

TomR posted:

I like the changes because now I can god roll everything and choose which side effect to use.

Also I was able to test the FSD mods and found that FSD mass manager was best for my Anaconda, followed closely by the one that lets you use extra fuel and in a distant third place was the one that makes the FSD lighter. This stuff is good to know and it would be crazy to try and figure out with the old system.

Are The experimental side effects that can cancel the blueprint defects still in?

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 27, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Trustworthy posted:

I mean, humans all came from Earth; somebody had to be the first person to visit any other system :confused:
Sure, but just as there are many inhabited systems that could not be discovered by CMDRs, I find it equally strange that someone wouldn't discover stars that are basically next-door, not until very recently. FSD technology was according to a lore known for at least 10 years before the events of E:D.

In short: I am just sour that I wasn't the first one to slap my name on nearby systems when "First discovered by:" tag was introduced.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dwesa posted:

Sure, but just as there are many inhabited systems that could not be discovered by CMDRs, I find it equally strange that someone wouldn't discover stars that are basically next-door, not until very recently. FSD technology was according to a lore known for at least 10 years before the events of E:D.

In short: I am just sour that I wasn't the first one to slap my name on nearby systems when "First discovered by:" tag was introduced.

I'd like to see missions for doing level three scans of bodies previously left at level one. Or even missions like "we need to place this WEATHER probe around this airless rock, it's not a spy satellite".

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
In the lore, the pilots federation actually has control over what stars can be navigated to or even seen in your nav panel. The close, newly discovered ones were probably just some new systems they decided we could finally visit, once deemed safe.

This also deals with Raaxla, a 'lost' system. Supposedly it is a populated world that's been hidden for whatever reason.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is that whole sector still locked down over by Orion?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

limaCAT posted:

:guinness:

Are The experimental side effects that can cancel the blueprint defects still in?

You mean like a blueprint makes something heavier but you apply a side effect that makes it lighter again? Yeah, some of that is still around.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TomR posted:

You mean like a blueprint makes something heavier but you apply a side effect that makes it lighter again? Yeah, some of that is still around.

Yes, that. Nice to know.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mike the TV posted:

In the lore, the pilots federation actually has control over what stars can be navigated to or even seen in your nav panel. The close, newly discovered ones were probably just some new systems they decided we could finally visit, once deemed safe.

This also deals with Raaxla, a 'lost' system. Supposedly it is a populated world that's been hidden for whatever reason.

Where can you learn things like this?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Where can you learn things like this?

You can't, because :frontear:

you have to go out of your way in random books, old games, random articles etc. and as far as I know there isn't a single good solitary source.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Crow posted:

You can't, because :frontear:

you have to go out of your way in random books, old games, random articles etc. and as far as I know there isn't a single good solitary source.

:(

I don't mind having a sandbox with no goals, but I want to know interesting poo poo like this.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think I learned some cool lore from a few places

1. This twitter seems good and cool:
https://twitter.com/canonnresearch/status/902216444355764224

2. The wiki is actually pretty good. I learned a lot about the backstory of elite from just starting at the articles about the founders world and pilots federation and going down those rabbit holes.
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pilots_Federation

3. I have not read them but there are actual books written by an author named Drew Wagner that expand the universe quite a lot. I hear they are pretty good. Probably just about the same fun waste of time as reading a Star Wars book as a kid or something.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Dangerous-Premonition-Drew-Wagar/dp/0993139671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506720472&sr=8-1&keywords=drew+wagar

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:(

I don't mind having a sandbox with no goals, but I want to know interesting poo poo like this.

I found out about locked systems from within the game.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Man, gathering materials from planets for reloads takes forever compared to jumping to a station. Gonna give that a pass.

Also there is some funny stuff in this game.

"Please scan this planet for a million space dollars."
"Which planet?"
"I... Don't know."

"Please take me to Colonia for 500K."
"Sir, this is a McBarnard's Loop-through."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Blind Rasputin posted:

3. I have not read them but there are actual books written by an author named Drew Wagner that expand the universe quite a lot. I hear they are pretty good. Probably just about the same fun waste of time as reading a Star Wars book as a kid or something.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Dangerous-Premonition-Drew-Wagar/dp/0993139671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506720472&sr=8-1&keywords=drew+wagar

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Come on, has Octavia found the G-star class?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Drake_263 posted:

There's an external camera mode, not sure if the hotkey is bound by default but you can find it in your controls. It comes with a bunch of screenshotworthy pre-set camera angles inside and outside your ship, plus a 'free camera' function.

Thanks but it seems like the hud (all the ship controls) disappears in this mode, unless I'm missing something. I just want the normal interior cockpit mode but without the big metal bars criss-crossing the screen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

Thanks but it seems like the hud (all the ship controls) disappears in this mode, unless I'm missing something. I just want the normal interior cockpit mode but without the big metal bars criss-crossing the screen.

So, if you don't want to see everything, just a better cockpit-view, why not change ships? Not all of them have those bars you're so annoyed about. (The Imperial Courier has rings instead, for example.)

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The Sidewinder has the best unobstructed view. You just have to look up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The Imperial Cutter is the best, because your bridge window is so large, the obstructing bars are actually outside your pilot's view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31Ww2mNpzQ

Ironically, you can't really look up. Your bridge window is wide, but not terribly high.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

fuf posted:

That is the normal interior cockpit mode, the big metal bars are your cockpit.

If you mean "I want to be a disembodied head with UI overlay", there isn't a mode like that. The cockpit UI is modelled in the game world as a 3d hologram, it's not an overlay.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Right, just getting back into the game after about a year or so absence. I'm sitting on 30 million, what's a guy got to do to grind money these days?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Libluini posted:

So, if you don't want to see everything, just a better cockpit-view, why not change ships? Not all of them have those bars you're so annoyed about. (The Imperial Courier has rings instead, for example.)

I'm just doing the tutorials at the moment, dunno what ship it is.

Libluini posted:

The Imperial Cutter is the best, because your bridge window is so large, the obstructing bars are actually outside your pilot's view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31Ww2mNpzQ

Ironically, you can't really look up. Your bridge window is wide, but not terribly high.

That does look better.

tooterfish posted:

If you mean "I want to be a disembodied head with UI overlay", there isn't a mode like that.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean. Like X3 etc. One of the cool things about space games for me is just admiring the stars and stations etc. while flying around, but this ugly-rear end 3d cockpit model is bumming me out currently. I figured there's just be an option to turn it off but keep the display.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
a good cockpit view discussion and no mention of the aspiex?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Please don't make fun of Drew Wagar, he paid a lot of money to write that fanfic and deserves our respect

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Tourist ships have the nicest cockpits.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

raverrn posted:

Right, just getting back into the game after about a year or so absence. I'm sitting on 30 million, what's a guy got to do to grind money these days?

I guess Road to Riches is the most consistent source of money.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6hhcpq/road_to_riches_web_app/

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is there a current Best Way to grind Imp rank? everything i can find googling is a few months out of date

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

boar guy posted:

is there a current Best Way to grind Imp rank? everything i can find googling is a few months out of date

Well first you have to hate yourself...

(I really don't know, both Fed and Imp rep are insane grinds)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have so much trouble getting out of the mail slot at stations with the anaconda. It's hard to visualize the parts of my shop that I can't see. I aim too low and I scraped the belly which points me upwards and I aim too high and scrape the top. Getting in hasn't been much of a problem.

I've had my ship destroyed once this way by being stubborn and trying to force my way out (dumb) and it cost me 12m. And I've accepted a few fines. I do usually make it out eventually. Is there some visual cue I should be looking for to line up?

I put some beam lasers and a multicannon on it (for defending myself), engineered everything I could for light weight and jump range, and got 50ish ly max. I also put an srv in there, have some cargo space, and a passenger cabin. I'm pretty satisfied. I'm just planning on using it for exploration and running missions for the frogs.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/ana...t%20Want%20None

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
You have to have just a tiny bit of spacial awareness. The volume above your head in an Anaconda is tiny compared to what’s under you so you need to think you’re going to scrape the roof on the way out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Most of Anaconda is under your cockpit, but you also shouldn't really try to scrape the top of the mailslot. I think I aim to have about 1/4 or 1/5 of mailslot space above my cockpit.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The front of the Anaconda has something like a small gun sight attached to it. When I first started flying it, I would center that on whatever I was trying to get to/through. Just like aiming down a rifle.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Please don't make fun of Drew Wagar, he paid a lot of money to write that fanfic and deserves our respect

I just can't wrap my brain around someone writing that, looking at it, reading it back to themselves and thinking "I'm comfortable with other people knowing I was paid to produce this material."

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

boar guy posted:

Mainani <-> Ngalinn

Nothing but courier missions and donations on each end. Rarely have to board flip. No large pad.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

GutBomb posted:

I have so much trouble getting out of the mail slot at stations with the anaconda. It's hard to visualize the parts of my shop that I can't see. I aim too low and I scraped the belly which points me upwards and I aim too high and scrape the top. Getting in hasn't been much of a problem.

I've had my ship destroyed once this way by being stubborn and trying to force my way out (dumb) and it cost me 12m. And I've accepted a few fines. I do usually make it out eventually. Is there some visual cue I should be looking for to line up?

I put some beam lasers and a multicannon on it (for defending myself), engineered everything I could for light weight and jump range, and got 50ish ly max. I also put an srv in there, have some cargo space, and a passenger cabin. I'm pretty satisfied. I'm just planning on using it for exploration and running missions for the frogs.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/ana...t%20Want%20None

Imagine you are wearing a top hat. You want the top of the mail slot to knock it off your head.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
learn to fly a t7 through the slot under boost then instead of aiming for the bottom of the slot do the opposite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
does anyone else notice how NPCs like to fly behind your mothership when you're in a fighter?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
beta clean slate update:

it all hinges on the availability of material traders and the pin system is woefully inadequate.

that said, the new material caps are a godsend and while i'm sure the chieftain isn't some min-max sperg bait it is a lot of fun to fly.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

beta clean slate update:

it all hinges on the availability of material traders and the pin system is woefully inadequate.

that said, the new material caps are a godsend and while i'm sure the chieftain isn't some min-max sperg bait it is a lot of fun to fly.

Oh lort I can't wait for those mat caps to go up. So absurd...especially when there are broken mats in the game, so it's not like you can just "get rid" of those 80 exquisite focus crystals that don't spawn any more (did they fix that?)...

• Locked thread