Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to make statements about artistic value. I am, however, going to loving crosspost and point out an unfortunate assumption I found people making on the pro-automation side that belie a severe misunderstanding as to how animation works, and genuinely don't know why inbetween animators are so important. To be fair, many people in the industry also fail to realize this. KyotoAni is one of the notable exceptions and their treatment of inbetweeners is part of why their stuff looks so good.

Xarbala posted:

The thing about inbetween frames is that they're actually the vast bulk of the animation process, and in the well-animated stuff is also where most of the personality and flair goes.

Keyframes are ultimately reference points that leave very, very big gaps in motion for the inbetween animators to work with. So "let's hire less inbetweeners, replace them with software, and get more keyframes because keyframes are the cool frames" betrays a perspective that severely undervalues the work of inbetweeners and sorely misunderstands what a keyframe actually is, much less a tween frame. [Ed note: This is not in response to Arcsquad's post, but rather to someone else who literally said, "why don't we just hire fewer inbetweeners, automate their work, and get more Cool frames instead."]

Like you only need as a bare minimum 1 frame out of every 12 to be "key" and it's the skill of the inbetweener to know how to interpret that. There's a scene in Gundam Sousei where someone who doesn't really understand how inbetween frames works thinks the tween frame between two Funnel drones should be the exact middle of the two keyframe positions (which is a catchall solution for frame interpolation that, say, most software is designed to use). But the guy who does know animation knows that to get it to look better and more dynamic, the tween frame should actually depict the Funnel as being closer to its endpoint of its motion, so it looks like it's jumping very quickly from one point before abruptly slowing down to reach its next position. The latter solution is used and the effect is that the actual animation manages to look zippier and more dynamic despite being made on let's face it a modest budget with a lot of time constraints.

People who don't understand animation think that keyframes are the only important frames. But they're like keystones in a bridge arch. They're certainly prettier and used to cap off the structure, but every single stone in the arch is of equal importance. Tween frames are those other frames. To be an inbetweener is to work with and understand how dynamics and animation works on a fundamental level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lot's of people seem to think that algorithms are a magic solution to stuff that algorithms absolutely cannot do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Caros posted:

If their work doesn't have enough 'soul', studios will keep on humans to do the work,

You are either suicidally naive or genuinely dumb. Why do you think production houses are even investing in auto-tweening? They hate that they have to pay animators and are looking for every possible option to minimize the amount of staff they're responsible to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

People can tell the difference

the tech will get better and people will always look for ways to cut cost

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

the tech will get better and people will always look for ways to cut cost

It's just algorithms, the tech will literally never look as good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it doesn't have to and that's not my point

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's just algorithms, the tech will literally never look as good.

Look, all we have to do is teach a computer program what love is and we're golden.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

it doesn't have to and that's not my point

It doesn't matter because the tech will never look good enough. Good enough for churned out crap like zombie Simpsons, sure, but it'll never be good enough for anything that's trying to look good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When Droyer mentions the artistic intent of deciding how to interpret a given inbetween frame, that's actually a vital part of the job of animation, full stop. Tween frames aren't just filler between keyframes, they are the depiction of the motion itself, and it's up to the animator to decide how to interpret that motion visually.

Like I mentioned, in Overwatch highlight intros, they could've done a cheap and easy job of just moving the skeletons of the models around to get the overall feel of the motion depicted. But they didn't. A human actually went in there and made smears and squashes for the meshes to follow and while they look extremely hosed up as stills, they're vital to making the OW highlight intros look extremely dynamic and fluid.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

oh my god, is every thread in this forum going to turn into this same dumbshit argument

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NotALizardman posted:

oh my god, is every thread in this forum going to turn into this same dumbshit argument

Someone should take this argument into the Violet Evergarden thread

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

it might improve the darling in the franxx thread, now that i think about it

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Droyer posted:

At the end of episode 3 the protagonist and 3 girls are together in the main robot's cockpit and he has to poop and it's very funny.

He didn't just say "Get out, I need to use the bathroom!"?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

He didn't just say "Get out, I need to use the bathroom!"?

they were in the air at the time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So? People exit gundams mid-air all the time.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I like the parts where the robots shoot lasers and then there are pretty explosions.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I like the Gundams with the turlits

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I know good and well I've seen a lot of scenes where someone decides to bail out of their mobile suit for some reason or another (several of them being to fetch somebody else that fell out of theirs and pull them back into their own suit), but I can't seem to find where anybody has made any montages out of them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I forgot how much narrative exposition Wing uses. It is also astounding how much of the series has our pilots not with their Gundams which feels a lot more unique now that I've seen a lot of Gundam. They just leave them all over, so many suit self destructions.

vvvv It is totally worth it for his smooth smooth voice and astounding annunciation

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 26, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey, if you had Cambpell Lane on hand to do your exposition, you'd use him all you could as well.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDea9yYB8U

Please watch and take a shot (or have a chuckle) whenever you hear "however"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
pfffhahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwMSNNZcJQ

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Gundam dub really have drum n bass end credits??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sakurazuka posted:

Only the Toonami broadcast. The Blu-Ray has the original OP and end credits.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I still think the MGS version is the best of these but this one is really good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

I still think the MGS version is the best of these but this one is really good
The Nier: Automata one is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-XtMNYHsZc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DJ57wc_bkI&hd=1

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Found some gameplay footage for New Fundamental Breaker on Reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJRA3xTD0Wk

Seems to be some on-the-fly modding.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/rApJ_26r0Bg

aaaaaaa

Although just like the first MSG Battle Operations I’m sketical it will get a US release. At least I should be able to make a Japan account and download the beta. Anyone know how to go about doing that?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://youtu.be/rApJ_26r0Bg

aaaaaaa

Although just like the first MSG Battle Operations I’m sketical it will get a US release. At least I should be able to make a Japan account and download the beta. Anyone know how to go about doing that?

Aww yiss, thanks for the heads up. I might not have noticed this otherwise. Strangely enough Battle Operation Next was one of the only games my girlfriend could bear to watch me play for longer than 10 minutes.

I'm not sure about how to make the account, though I imagine it' might involve using a proxy to spoof your location.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Aww yiss, thanks for the heads up. I might not have noticed this otherwise. Strangely enough Battle Operation Next was one of the only games my girlfriend could bear to watch me play for longer than 10 minutes.

I'm not sure about how to make the account, though I imagine it' might involve using a proxy to spoof your location.

I made a Japanese PSN account probably 5 years back to play some Gundam game that came before Next on my PS3 and I didn’t have to use a proxy. A quick google search found this: https://www.dualshockers.com/how-to-create-japanese-psn-account-guide-ps4-free-games-demos-themes/ and it doesn’t look like you’ll have to use proxies to make one on the PS4 either.

I’m actually wondering if I can use my Japanese PSN account from my PS3 to logon. I forget whether or not I had to create a new account for my PS4 or if I just used my original from my PS3.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 29, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I made a Japanese PSN account probably 5 years back to play some Gundam game that came before Next on my PS3 and I didn’t have to use a proxy. A quick google search found this: https://www.dualshockers.com/how-to-create-japanese-psn-account-guide-ps4-free-games-demos-themes/ and it doesn’t look like you’ll have to use proxies to make one on the PS4 either.

I’m actually wondering if I can use my Japanese PSN account from my PS3 to logon. I forget whether or not I had to create a new account for my PS4 or if I just used my original from my PS3.

I find it hard to be at all enthused by this when both of the previous games have gone with honestly the worst free to play scheme conceived.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

You can use the same one. They're independent of the device.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Goodbody posted:

It doesn't fly by that point, the casual racism faced by the Kuntala is a recurring theme of the show.

Duh, I am not an idiot, my point is that any other show would have focused more on the actual "these people gotten eaten" part and play it up for drama. The fact the show just treats it as a fact of life and is more concern about the casual racism you mention is what makes it great.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Midjack posted:

You can use the same one. They're independent of the device.

Sweet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

Duh, I am not an idiot, my point is that any other show would have focused more on the actual "these people gotten eaten" part and play it up for drama. The fact the show just treats it as a fact of life and is more concern about the casual racism you mention is what makes it great.

Oh, sorry. In my defense, during the run of the show there were people saying that G-Reco's treatment of racism was unrealistic because the non-Kuntala people weren't mean enough about it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I forgot how much narrative exposition Wing uses. It is also astounding how much of the series has our pilots not with their Gundams which feels a lot more unique now that I've seen a lot of Gundam. They just leave them all over, so many suit self destructions.

vvvv It is totally worth it for his smooth smooth voice and astounding annunciation

Yeah, I also liked how much stuff goes on away from the robots.

I also maintain that Relena is the real main protagonist of the series so having a main heroine who never even pilots a robot is also unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh, sorry. In my defense, during the run of the show there were people saying that G-Reco's treatment of racism was unrealistic because the non-Kuntala people weren't mean enough about it

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up and you can tell that the person who said it had never experienced casual racism in their life.