Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

one of the replies says it's a wind farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

ComboFix was always my go-to for bringing a malware'd box back to sanity when they REALLY didn't want to wipe and reinstall. Looks like it still exists and is still being updated, although I haven't used it in years and can't speak to how well it currently works.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

i love the grey forums

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fighting fires on two grey fronts, you have more patience than most

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cheese-cube posted:

fighting fires on two grey fronts, you have more patience than most

i haven't really posted much lately so i have some patience left in the tank

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

one of the replies says it's a wind farm
aw that's no fun

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

still doesn't explain why it's underground

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

cheese-cube posted:

still doesn't explain why it's underground

Underground service tunnels for the power lines?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

or the wind is undeground

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
put the wind turbines in a wind tunnel. Duh

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
And on a treadmill

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
revealing the location of airbases is a bit of a fuckup. revealing cia black sites in third-world countries feels like a bigger one

https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/957615895899238401

https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/957625291022708737

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

imo the data is entirely circumstantial and really only useful in corroboration to reinforce existing suspicions about known sites

edit: for example, you have a site that you suspect headquarters military operations and yet involved authorities deny such status and insist it is civilian only. having heatmaps which potentially indicate daily PT regimens can corroborate existence of military personnel at a civilian facility.

i somewhat doubt that what people are posting is in aide of such evidence and is more than likely circumstantial bullshitting (much like my post here)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

French Canadian posted:

And on a treadmill

But then they’d take off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are clandestine military forces at a civilian facility going to jog around the base in formation every morning? maybe do push-ups together in the courtyard?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

are clandestine military forces at a civilian facility going to jog around the base in formation every morning? maybe do push-ups together in the courtyard?

are the rules enforced inside a SCIF going to be enforced around it? the answer is unlikely, and this is a threat model that whoever hasnt considered.

edit: there's also another potential factor here, specifically the overlap between military and paramilitary forces

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 28, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

ask in the gip current events thread, I suspect the answer is “yes the military is that dumb”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

why is this just now blowing up? stravas heatmap of user activity has been available for years

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

no one told osint about it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

duz posted:

why is this just now blowing up? stravas heatmap of user activity has been available for years

i'm pretty sure it's people making boring circumstantial connections and there's not actually anything interesting here. poo poo just think about it for a second, heat map info like this is only circumstantial and proves jack poo poo without other evidence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

these things can track regular walking too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

i'm pretty sure it's people making boring circumstantial connections and there's not actually anything interesting here. poo poo just think about it for a second, heat map info like this is only circumstantial and proves jack poo poo without other evidence.

Sure you need additional data, but with that extra context these heat traces can help you figure out which sites at the weapons labs are in use etc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure you need additional data, but with that extra context these heat traces can help you figure out which sites at the weapons labs are in use etc

no you can't, you can't assume absolutely every dingus is wearing one of the drat things

edit: this whole thing is dumb af

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cheese-cube posted:

no you can't, you can't assume absolutely every dingus is wearing one of the drat things

You absolutely can.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lets not even get into the possibility that this data is just artificial bullshit generated by some bots instead of actual humans. dumb sensationalised garbage, mlmp

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

2018 really looking to be the year of the side channel attack.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sure you have to treat it like a sample, so missing data isn’t informative but existing data can be.

cheese-cube posted:

lets not even get into the possibility that this data is just artificial bullshit generated by some bots instead of actual humans. dumb sensationalised garbage, mlmp

That’d be more impressive to be honest, figuring out the bike routes around the interior of national labs etc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

only with attribution or corroboration. a pretty lovely side-channel atm imo

edit: Trabisnikof you need to rethink this whole thing because finding bike paths around secured facilities is the dumbest thing ive heard

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would imagine theres some self selection going on w/ people who use the strava app being more likely to have routine runs similar to military pt.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

you could get that same intel but with real attribution using a pair of binoculars and patience

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It doesn't tell you "HERE IS WHERE THE TOP SECRET MISSILE DESTRUCT BUTTON IS", it just shows you where people like to walk/run/cycle with a tracking app that requires an expensive smart phone and internet connection.

In relatively wealthy and urban areas that isn't going to show you much of interest beyond popular running routes. In otherwise poor or unpopulated areas though, it's a pretty big "hey look at this" flag though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

only with attribution or corroboration. a pretty lovely side-channel atm imo

edit: Trabisnikof you need to rethink this whole thing because finding bike paths around secured facilities is the dumbest thing ive heard

The bike paths are just examples of why your “what if data is faked” is a dumb idea. But sure, if you see no utility in certain actors knowing the foot traffic patterns inside weapons labs, no real reason to argue about it

Obviously I’m not doing poo poo with the data because like always never touch the poop

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol it's literally just "places people may have gone". zero usable data there at all

mrmcd posted:

It doesn't tell you "HERE IS WHERE THE TOP SECRET MISSILE DESTRUCT BUTTON IS", it just shows you where people like to walk/run/cycle with a tracking app that requires an expensive smart phone and internet connection.

In relatively wealthy and urban areas that isn't going to show you much of interest beyond popular running routes. In otherwise poor or unpopulated areas though, it's a pretty big "hey look at this" flag though.

that's bullshit. also you're assuming the operation of the device, who's to say it doesn't just record GPS positions and then upload them later.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

you could get that same intel but with real attribution using a pair of binoculars and patience

You haven’t been to the perimeter of many us weapons labs I take it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

no i havent but im sure they dont have loving bike paths

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

the two I’ve been to were pretty obvious

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheese-cube posted:

Livermore and PNNL do, actually

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol that's really cool.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah these can be massive facilities where they use the landscape to hide activities from the public. I’m not saying this is some massive data breach, but that there is useful data in there for those trying to determine activities at some of these facilities.

Idaho lab is over 2,000 sq km

Subjunctive posted:

the two I’ve been to were pretty obvious

They just usually don’t let you sit at fence with binoculars for hours without getting someone’s attention :v:

Maybe at the Berkeley lab if you look like a stoner checking the view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/957336807812804608

• Locked thread