Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trabisnikof posted:

They just usually don’t let you sit at fence with binoculars for hours without getting someone’s attention :v:

I sat in a car across from the Livermore staff entrance for 2 hours once, undisturbed. no binoculars though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's just metadata what's the harm

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

random data without corroboration or attribution is essentially garbage. making dumb assumptions based on the same data without corroboration or attribution is also stupid. this is super simple ya'll

edit: there's no usable intel here without existing intel

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
afghanistan is probably the best example of the problem

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#7.33/64.64391/33.85870/hot/ride

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hmm yes this is meaningless. Absolutely nothing could be done with this information unless you already knew they were CIA safehouses or something.

It's not like a local militia or something could investigate these areas now that their existence is highlighted. I think they need at least 3 sets of independent proof before they get out of bed in the morning.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

korean dmz is also fun

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheese-cube posted:

random data without corroboration or attribution is essentially garbage. making dumb assumptions based on the same data without corroboration or attribution is also stupid. this is super simple ya'll

You seem to have an extremely vested interest in nobody perusing this data closely.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

But it sure is a great starting point to tell your resources to do their confirming at. Or send a half-cocked militia, and let God sort em out.

Finding Texas border patrol routes is a fun exercise with this tool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cheese-cube posted:

who's to say it doesn't just record GPS positions and then upload them later.

this is the default strava app behaviour on phones as far as i know, it logs gps route then uploads when you connect to home wifi

e: also the underground route is probably not underground but consumer gps being bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's just metadata what's the harm
https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/957628347617562624

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

at least the data is in a vacuum and isn't being corroborated by people who were at the bases:

https://twitter.com/svblxyz/status/957703976014761984

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cheese-cube posted:

yeah, we get it: you played mgs2

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

lol, wapo just went all :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: over the strava thing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cheese-cube posted:

I feel that reducing the number of possible locations from literally everywhere in the country to a small handful of clearly marked candidates is usable intel.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
breaking news, app designed to track your location and movement, tracks your location and movement

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

you may be surprised to learn that the threshold of confidence in information required for action in an intelligence context is much lower than it is in a legal context

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i can't believe people already forgot iraq got bombed over some aluminium tubes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truga posted:

It wasn't the aluminum tubes that brought us there, friendo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i can tell you with absolute certainty that every us military institution has people running outside basically daily around the world. senior officers have a hard on for running and there are formation runs and organized PT everywhere that isn't an active warzone, and even then a good number of them are still doing organized PT.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this data is worthless garbage, it doesn't have ANY verrit id numbers attached

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the whole point of verrit is to forget that such a useless stupid thing exists and you had to go and spoil things and remind us

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/957765269316886528

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Look, you don't know who it is okay, it could be anyone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/957771075663769600

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

you may be surprised to learn that the threshold of confidence in information required for action in an intelligence context is much lower than it is in a legal context

yeah you gotta remember these are mostly people who think chelsea manning is a traitor for leaking information about how the mercenaries the us hires treat the sandbox like one of those shooting video games where there's no real penalty for blasting civilians or putting a jdam through an elementary school or just generally loving the region up for the another decade

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm excited that shellphish "order of the overflow" is running DEF CON CTF this year

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

are clandestine military forces at a civilian facility going to jog around the base in formation every morning? maybe do push-ups together in the courtyard?

knowing the US military... yeah probably

cheese-cube posted:

you could get that same intel but with real attribution using a pair of binoculars and patience

try making a heat map of that though that we can point at and laugh, bet it'd take you a while :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

all i remember about the lead-up to the iraq war was an SNL sketch mocking the UN inspector for allowing the iraqis to pretend like they needed to get ready before being inspected and how this obviously meant they had nukes and were being coy about it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Universe brain : the places that show up well on the heat map are distractions from the real bases

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fishmech posted:

Universe brain : the places that show up well on the heat map are distractions from the real bases

Multiverse brain: lizard people don't exercise

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
https://www.axios.com/trump-team-debates-nationalizing-5g-network-f1e92a49-60f2-4e3e-acd4-f3eb03d910ff.html

didn't see this one posted , apparently* trump maybe wants to build a single 'hardened' 5G network that would then get wholesaled to carriers so that the carriers don't build one with chinese components

*could be bullshit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

https://www.axios.com/trump-team-debates-nationalizing-5g-network-f1e92a49-60f2-4e3e-acd4-f3eb03d910ff.html

didn't see this one posted , apparently* trump maybe wants to build a single 'hardened' 5G network that would then get wholesaled to carriers so that the carriers don't build one with chinese components

*could be bullshit

the trump administration nationalizing the cell network would be hilarious.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so municipal internet except for cell networks?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Midjack posted:

the trump administration nationalizing the cell network would be hilarious.

the ghost of bell will rip him limb from limb before that happens

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Progressive JPEG posted:

so municipal internet except for cell networks?

brought to you by whichever cell company has been doing the most bribery of the trump administration

so probably verizon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you can build cell towers into the wall, so the entire southern border will have great internet speed! this way it can also be used to fund the wall with funds earmarked for broadband rollout projects

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Great so the wall will be title 2 and have net neutrality.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

It wasn't the aluminum tubes that brought us there, friendo.

mah steel beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pikavangelist posted:

brought to you by whichever cell company has been doing the most bribery of the trump administration

so probably verizon

exactly, so you will have a state mandated monopoly telco network, built by one of the incumbents with the secondary goal of inconveniencing its competitors, designed from a restricted list of vendors (maybe a Euro vendor thrown in to make the WTO happy), with enabling surveillance built in as a design goal. i foresee no security challenges.

• Locked thread