Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Drake_263 posted:

I think when the cent was first implemented it was a slim little thing, then they just.. rescaled it to be more squat. It was literally so slim for its relative speed that it was drat near impossible to hit at range. (Of course, it doesn't help that this was the time before engine size limits on mechs..)

Yeah, they definitely did a rework on the model early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is this game ever coming out? Why's everyone talking about PGI? Aren't they the MWO guys who only contributed some graphics to this project? What ever happened with that lawsuit?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Game never coming out, PGI bad, harmony gold worse.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Soup du Journey posted:

Is this game ever coming out? Why's everyone talking about PGI? Aren't they the MWO guys who only contributed some graphics to this project? What ever happened with that lawsuit?

Have you considered reading, or even just searching the thread?

Game should be out first half of the year, game uses PGI art assets, yes, it's ongoing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, I thought this was the Canadian Mall Food Court Aficionados thread. My bad.

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
I agree, I miss the brightly colored plastic trays, but I can understand from a business perspective why the dark brown/black/blue ones make sense. Tim Horton’s still seems like some sort of crazy Canadian in-joke, no matter what you guys -

Skoll posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought this was the Canadian Mall Food Court Aficionados thread. My bad.

There is no way anyone is explaining the Tim Horton reference you made about how the Atlas scared Clanners now. Great. Thanks for ruining it, Soup! Now we have to go back to only arguing about the release date and current status of the game.

destitute fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 29, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rygar201 posted:

Game should be out first half of the year, game uses PGI art assets, yes, it's ongoing.
What? A goon put effort into something? I've lost track of how many times I've seen people post questions that there are answers to the post before theirs. And no, the post before theirs was not posted at the same time.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The only thing really going on at the moment is that the lead designer is occasionally posting on twitter about how brutely lethal the game seems to be to mechwarriors and that they keep catching themselves playing the game when they go to test something. I am hoping this is a sign that it is approaching a gold version. The last kickstarter update just mentioned that there would be a Q&A in Feb and they would NOT be taking questions on a release date.

Fingers crossed!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 29, 2018

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can wait for them to fully cook the game. Insurgency Sandstorm and Vampyr come out soon, as well as Phoenix Point later this year. No lack of good games.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Regarding Atlas chat, this is what I expect when I hear "Atlas" :

The only true Atlas, and flyingdebris' best work. I just wish there was a larger resolution available.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Skoll posted:

Would post in that thread.

aniviron posted:

Totally going to shill for Brigador ITT :words:

Brigador is good, and cool, and strong, and you should already be playing it, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rygar201 posted:

:rolleyes:

i skimmed the page before the last and it was all dummies talking about the best sizes and shapes for robot pictures. sorry for interrupting your important discussion. i'll just go somewhere im wanted and valued, like the gbs fart thread

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soup du Journey posted:

:rolleyes:

i skimmed the page before the last and it was all dummies talking about the best sizes and shapes for robot pictures. sorry for interrupting your important discussion. i'll just go somewhere im wanted and valued, like the gbs fart thread

Somehow I don't think "Yeah I didn't actually read anything, but you're overreacting by expecting me to" is a real defense. Good luck in GBS and godspeed.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
fine, goodbye!!! i still like robots though

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cleansing BRRRRRRRRT

Super cool cleansing ppc particle effect (peep the burst of grounding energy when it skims the rock)

https://i.imgur.com/NXtxiSQ.mp4

Totally illegal locust!

http://i.imgur.com/jCld6HI.mp4

EDIT: I forgot Battletech.gif

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 29, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Preechr posted:

The only true Atlas, and flyingdebris' best work. I just wish there was a larger resolution available.

Those 'Mech pilots are doing Kerensky's work.

Soup du Journey posted:

fine, goodbye!!! i still like robots though

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

https://twitter.com/Adarael/status/957482484437893125

(Lead Writers twitter)

I am excite!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any Battletech books available on Kindle worth reading while I wait for the game to drop?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I enjoyed the Jade Phoenix trilogy back in the day, looks like that one is available. No idea about recent offerings

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Taintrunner posted:

Are there any Battletech books available on Kindle worth reading while I wait for the game to drop?

I just picked up Wolves in the Border for 99 cents and it’s better than most I have read. Right era too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Wolves on the Border is the defacto "read this book first it's actually pretty good".

The 'spine' novels are basically anything written by Stackpole + the Eridani Light Horse novels of the Twilight of the Clans. Be warned: reading beyond the Warrior trilogy may give you a near-or-fully lethal dose of Victor Steiner-Davion + Kai Allard-Liao.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Preechr posted:

I need an animated version of that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wolves on the Border is the defacto "read this book first it's actually pretty good".

The 'spine' novels are basically anything written by Stackpole + the Eridani Light Horse novels of the Twilight of the Clans. Be warned: reading beyond the Warrior trilogy may give you a near-or-fully lethal dose of Victor Steiner-Davion + Kai Allard-Liao.

The books around the Grey Death legion are pretty good too. If you're into "this backwater world is being held by 2 broken wasps and a single ancient shadowhawk" then Decision at Thunder Rift is especially good. Mercenary's Star (the sequel) is pretty good too. THe next one starts getting into more mary sue my precious merc unit stuff but is a decent way to round it all out.

They're solid vacation reading.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

As others have said, Wolves on the Border is a must read. I also just read the Grey Death Trilogy on Kindle, starting with Decision at Thunder Rift. That trilogy is in the theme of HBS's game focusing on a merc company out on the edges away from the massive battles and regiments of mechs you find in the spine books by Stackpole. Hell, I don't even think they become a full mech company until the last book. I feel like the combat in HBS BT captures the feel of those novels more than it replicates the TT rules and that is a good thing.

Aside, anyone who can still play the beta I released another update on my Post-Beta Mod Pack. I added a ton of unique variants and made Great House presets out of them.

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/10754/comments/210758

Here's a BLR-1S from the pack:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thirding the Gray Death trilogy. It's what seriously got me into the BattleTech world, same for pretty much all of my friends who are/were into it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My first BT book was Sword and Dagger that I found in a used book store. Lost it during a move a number of years later.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You should obviously read Main Event and DRT, the only BT novels worth your time.

worth your time to throw them directly in a garbage can.

In actually worth your time to read, the trilogy about Camacho's Caballeros is good too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

In actually worth your time to read, the trilogy about Camacho's Caballeros is good too.

Not for a beginner, to anyone who's gotten invested in the lore they're great, but Close Quarters / Hearts of Chaos / Black Dragon need you to really know who Theodore Kurita and Subhash Indrahar are, and should probably be read after the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy.

I'd personally suggest

0) The early GDL books (don't read any past the first trilogy, the Legion sails right into Mary Sue territory really drat quick), you can read these at any point, but they're a reasonable jumping-on point since they don't require any knowledge. They're also some of the earliest novels so they're a bit rough in places.

1) Wolves on the Border

If that captured your interest, go right into

1a) (optional) The first Legend of the Jade Phoenix novel (do not read book 2 or book 3, they are trash) to help you understand just how hosed up Clan brainwashing is.
2) The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy

3) If you're interested in further reading and liked:
A) The Capellan Confederation
3a) Highlander Gambit and Impetus of War (they're not great but they're fun)

B) House Kurita
3b) Heir to the Dragon
3b1) The Camacho's Caballeros trilogy

C) Mercenaries
3c) Double Blind
3c1) Highlander Gambit and Impetus of War
3b2) The Camacho's Caballeros trilogy
3b3) Main Event and DRT (when you're ready to understand why BattleTech killed off all the Mercenaries in the Jihad to stop their writers from making a new "pet" mercenary unit every ten minutes)

D) The Clans
3d) Test of Vengeance
3d1) Maaaaybe the rest of the Jade Phoenix trilogy if you can tolerate Deus Ex Machina and don't mind watching Aidan's slow progression into crippling depression, nihilism, and insanity (in that order)

E) Stackpole's Writing
3e) The Warrior Trilogy

F) Wolf's Dragoons
3f) Wolf Pack I guess, but it's mediocre
3f1) Highlander Gambit and Impetus of War

G) Phelan Kell, Victor Steiner-Davion, and/or Kai Allard-Liao
3g) god help you (read Natural Selection and learn to hate them as much as we do)

H) Ranna Kerensky
3h) You have good taste, read the first hundred or so pages of Natural Selection to watch her clown on Victor Davion, Phelan Kell, and Vlad Ward, then throw the novel in the trash before you read any of the Red Corsair bits (or keep reading to find out how Conal Ward gets murdered I guess but this novel is really extremely bad)

I) Dumb Nonsense (the Free Worlds League?)
3I) Star Lord

4) When you're ready to be done with the franchise, Far Country. Or Endgame, I guess, but Far Country is the better of the two.

Novels to avoid:
- There's a stint after the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy but before the Twilight of the Clans where the main novel line is in sort of a holding pattern while they decide where to take the metaplot. Most of these books (like Natural Selection, Malicious Intent, and half-a-dozen novels of Victor faffing about and/or being tricked into assassinating his relatives by his sister) are pretty dire and they culminate in the Wolf/Jade Falcon war (and the Clan Wolf Civil War) which is a story best delivered by Mechwarrior 2.
- There's a couple of good novels in Twilight of the Clans, but most if it is pretty dire "And then the Jade Falcons continued their slow to spiral into pure madness and Ninja Assassins fight an Elemental"
- Anything starring Archer "Stonewall" Christifori

I'm leaving work now but I didn't want this to be too long.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, that's a lot of great recommendations, thanks a ton guys. I'm still grinding through MWO as my regular podcast game, I think I managed to actually wreck a few in a Mad Cat Mk 2 the other day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, that's a lot of great recommendations, thanks a ton guys. I'm still grinding through MWO as my regular podcast game, I think I managed to actually wreck a few in a Mad Cat Mk 2 the other day.

Please use spoilers or a trigger warning if you are going to post about MWO in this thread, thank you. :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Azhais posted:

I enjoyed the Jade Phoenix trilogy back in the day, looks like that one is available. No idea about recent offerings

"Joanna's small breasts"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Still less awkward than Phalen Kell mansplaining the concept of romantic love to the clan girl he wants to date.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 30, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Still less awkward than Phalen Kell

eughhhhhhhhhhhhh

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not for a beginner, to anyone who's gotten invested in the lore they're great, but Close Quarters / Hearts of Chaos / Black Dragon need you to really know who Theodore Kurita and Subhash Indrahar are, and should probably be read after the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy.

Yeah, that's true. I meant "after you read all the previous suggestions," but it's probably best to say this up front.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

eughhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Mary Stu-est of Mary Stues.

Some Battletech Editor: Wow, Grayson "Death" Carlyle really becomes an audience fantasy fulfillment insert by the third book, doesn't he?
Stackpole: hold my beer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Mary Stu-est of Mary Stues.

Some Battletech Editor: Wow, Grayson "Death" Carlyle really becomes an audience fantasy fulfillment insert by the third book, doesn't he?
Stackpole: hold my beer.

for the record I will take Phelan Kell over that utter trash fire protagonist from Main Event/DRT in a heartbeat. Jeremiah Rose is actively hateful to all that is good in the world, both in-universe and out. Phelan is just an otherwise unremarkable Perfect OC Don't Steal. That's bad, sure, but it's not as bad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Psion posted:

for the record I will take Phelan Kell over that utter trash fire protagonist from Main Event/DRT in a heartbeat. Jeremiah Rose is actively hateful to all that is good in the world, both in-universe and out. Phelan is just an otherwise unremarkable Perfect OC Don't Steal. That's bad, sure, but it's not as bad.

I've always wondered if that was some kind of author dare. I could see a bunch of drunk writers coming up with Rose in a one-upsmanship contest to see just how awful a protagonist can get, and then someone having the balls to try to get it past the editors.

Little did they know, early 90s FASA apparently didn't have any.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or you nerds can just read all 60 novels in canonical order, like I did.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered if that was some kind of author dare. I could see a bunch of drunk writers coming up with Rose in a one-upsmanship contest to see just how awful a protagonist can get, and then someone having the balls to try to get it past the editors.

Little did they know, early 90s FASA apparently didn't have any.

Isn't that how Stan Lee came up with the original Iron Man character? He got into a bet that he could write the most unlikable character and still make him a beloved superhero.

Early IronMan comics literally have him sitting in his lair saying stuff "I am so rich, I have any woman I could want, I need for nothing - nobody can understand my pain!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

My guy's name is Jeremy and he's super lucky, like suuper lucky and he's also huge and muscly like Arnold in Predator but he doesn't have to work out he's just naturally fit and he was with ComStar and fought on Tukayyid but all his friends died and he got real angry so he left ComStar to be a mercenary five years after Tukayyid because he had to wait for his ComStar enlistment to expire or something I dunno I'm not in the army lol but he kept some Star League era pyjamas and two neurohelmets that are as valuable as a battlemech but his family doesn't like him so they won't help him except for his hot sister who's really good at buying ammo at the store (girls are good at shopping amirite lol) and his cousin who's kinda lame and they go to Solaris and he can't be champion I guess because Kai's there right now but he can win a match and then rob his employer and steal all of the talented fighters from the Solaris tag-team division (Solaris has a Tag-Team division now, BTW) and go to outreach and he's so awesome his mercenaries totally beat the Dragoons except they were too good at their job and accidentally killed one so now the Dragoons don't like them so they went to fight the Jade Falcons and the local government was like "we don't like you anymore even though we paid good money for you to be here" and so Jeremy gots to fight the government but it's cool he's as good a shot as Phelan Kell but I don't want Stackpole to be mad so he's a worse pilot I guess and then the Jade Falcons showed up afterall but they're only going to be around for about a chapter before Jeremy kills them and takes a Warhawk OK NEXT NOVEL now Jeremy got a job on Wolcott except the Clans can't really attack Wolcott so while there he takes a sub job to go fight the Clans on some other planet and he fights the Smoke Jaguars and and and except everything is hosed up because he can't use his usual ride (who is his girlfriend who gives him rides for free because she loves him and also they're going to have a baby) because she pissed off the Draconis Combine so now the baby will be safe and he's riding in an ex-pirate's dropship instead which is less fun and it crashes and the Clans take it but it's ok because Jeremy blows up the objective and the other objective and then fights in a sweet one on one hand-to-hand boxing match with an Elemental and wins because the Elemental stepped in a puddle of water and then he got the pirate dropship back and it's full of Clan mechs and that's why I don't have to follow Zellbrigen at the table even though I have nothing but Clantech!

And then Jeremiah Rose, Word of Blake sleeper agent, betrayed his unit on Galedon and got them all killed in the Jihad which is another reason why I secretly like the Wobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mech sizing in MWO chat: mechs looking totally different with wrong dimensions & height in video-games is 100% true to the physical Battletech mini experience.
So I can't mock PGI for that, physical battletech minis will vary from huge to tiny, detailed to rough, original ral-partha minis to Ironwind Metals minis.
Hollander 2 mini size vs anything else is good for a laugh.

If you want to get nasty, track down pictures of the plastic mini-figs included with the 1st release of Catalyst Lab's Battletech Introductory Box Set,
the quality level is exceptionally bad on the included Atlas mk1 mini. Concentration camp survivor Atlas springs to mind.
source for this comment: I own the 1st release of Catalyst Lab's Battletech Introductory Box Set, and the other 20 mini-figs in a bag are just as bad.