Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

I'm still waiting for an affordable GPS tracker device that doubles as a Bluetooth mp3 player. I hate running with my phone.

Anything like that exist yet?

Yeah my TomTom Spark 3+music does that. I got mine used on Amazon for $70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joburg posted:

Yeah my TomTom Spark 3+music does that. I got mine used on Amazon for $70.

Oof $380 Canadian for me on Amazon. I'll keep an eye on them. Only some models do music.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

baquerd posted:

Can anyone recommend a general-purpose (waterproof preferred) flexible inspection camera?

I got this USB camera to check for cracks in canoes/kayaks (go through the drain plug and see if there's any light leaking in from cracks). It's just a regular USB cable and plugs into my Android phones via a USB adapter. It works fine for my usage, not great quality but it was on sale for less than $15 at the time. Also, I got a 20ft cable and it was much longer than I needed so it's somewhat of an inconvenience. There's wireless versions out now so I'd probably go for that if I was to do it over again.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

m.hache posted:

I'm still waiting for an affordable GPS tracker device that doubles as a Bluetooth mp3 player. I hate running with my phone.

Anything like that exist yet?

I just saw that Samsung has a gear 3 that looks promising as agps tracker/music player. Apparently it's more smartwatch oriented that the Garmin Fenix Series according to the internet, but it might be what you're looking for.

I didn't even notice this existed until after I bought the Fenix 3 a few days ago, but I think I'm still happy with the Garmin. Looks to be swimproof vs water resistant, and it has better battery/more accurate tracking. Plus my last Samsung Gear watch, the Gear Fit 2, bricked itself during an update, so gently caress Samsung. I contacted their support and they basically told me, lol, sucks to be you.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent Kitchen Knife set with a Block. I want something in the less than $200 range. Amazon or Costco/Sam's Club would be good, if possible.

I like a variety of sizes of knives and a good set of shears in the block would be good too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000638D32 is the only knife you need 90% of the time and the paring knife will cover the rest of the times

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sentient Data posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000638D32 is the only knife you need 90% of the time and the paring knife will cover the rest of the times

Can confirm. I have one and it replaces the need for many of my other knives.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Thirding the Fibrox 8" chef's knife. Bought one about two years ago and I rarely reach for anything else when working in the kitchen.

Price is up substantially though - paid $30 for mine in February of 2016.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I'm in the $30 club also. You can wait for it to drop again, but if you're needing a good knife it'd still be worth it even at $80

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
What makes it so special?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

life is a joke posted:

What makes it so special?

It's every bit as good as a chef's knife costing four times as much without the flash or name brand (although it is made by Victorinox, the same company that makes Swiss army knives.)

I've used mine at least three times per week for the past two years and it still has a sharp edge.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I know they "recommend" hand washing, but can it go through the dishwasher?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Beachcomber posted:

You shouldn't but yeah I do it, it's fine, been using it for years, still sharp as hell.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

What's a good streaming player or tiny pc that has a responsive UI? I have a new Sony BD player that does Netflix and everything but the interface is very slow.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Nvidia Shield is the best streaming device on the market imo. Plenty of processing power even for 4k stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What is the best indoor TV antenna? Can be directional or not.

To clarify I already have one of the flat fractal inspired (or whatever) ones that picks up everything but NBC. I would like to get NBC dialed in before the Superbowl.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

I try to be diligent about hand washing but the couple dozen of times it has gone through the washer it hasn't suffered.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

What is the best indoor TV antenna? Can be directional or not.

To clarify I already have one of the flat fractal inspired (or whatever) ones that picks up everything but NBC. I would like to get NBC dialed in before the Superbowl.

Have you checked websites like AntennaWeb to get a rough idea if your NBC station is receivable with an indoor antenna?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thwomp posted:

Have you checked websites like AntennaWeb to get a rough idea if your NBC station is receivable with an indoor antenna?

Yeah, you really might want to look at "aiming" your antenna. I recommend TVfool.com to figure out what direction your signals are coming from.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Yes I've done this and it acts like it should be totally fine just like Fox, CBS, and so on.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Thanks for the knife suggestion but that was not at all what I asked for. I want a knife set with multiple knives and a block. I use multiple knives when cooking and don't want to have to stop to wash between tasks. I currently have 2 10" knives that I use, one for main protein and the other for veggies/everything else, to avoid cross contamination. I also don't want to buy 2 of those $80 knives plus some steak knives and others. I am also in need of a good set of kitchen shears.

Edit
VVV - Made a 2nd request for a product because my first one was not answered...

Trastion has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jan 29, 2018

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Trastion posted:

Thanks for the knife suggestion but that was not at all what I asked for. I want a knife set with multiple knives and a block. I use multiple knives when cooking and don't want to have to stop to wash between tasks. I currently have 2 10" knives that I use, one for main protein and the other for veggies/everything else, to avoid cross contamination. I also don't want to buy 2 of those $80 knives plus some steak knives and others. I am also in need of a good set of kitchen shears.

good god man do you have any idea what you've just done?!?!?!?!?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Trastion posted:

Edit
VVV - Made a 2nd request for a product because my first one was not answered...

Just buy the two knives you need, and a block or other storage item separately. You don’t need all the lovely knives that come in the sets. Get Victorinox if you want cheap ones. If you want good ones ($100+) that’s an entire line of research and it depends on preference.

If you want to hear it from people who cook at lot, there’s a knife thread in GWS.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-knife-set/

If you need a knife set there ya go.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Definitely a good pick. I use a mix of the Wüsthof Ikon, Victorinox and some Dick knives, all of them hold up great after 1-2 decades of use.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Decius posted:

some Dick knives

I've heard of edgeplay, but this is a whole 'nother level

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone know of a good and small corner desk I can get for computer use?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Like a desk that directly faces a corner of the wall? Should probably check out ikea.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Do any of those earplugs that claim to help with pain when flying actually work? I've seen ones that look like little screws at the airport for $15 but I imagine that if there's really ones that work, I can find them cheaper online.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know it's probably a dumb question, but have you tried getting your ears to pop with the common methods like yawning or chewing gum? I'm assuming you mean pain from the pressure change rather than noise

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

I know it's probably a dumb question, but have you tried getting your ears to pop with the common methods like yawning or chewing gum? I'm assuming you mean pain from the pressure change rather than noise

I have, and unfortunately the only thing that really helps any more is doing the plug-nose-and-blow thing, and doing that hurts like hell even a few seconds after the 'pop', so I was hoping there's something that can keep it from getting that bad in the first place. I'd understand if I'm just out of luck, though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sentient Data posted:

The real trick is being able to wiggle your ears, because you can just control the muscle to make them pop on demand :smuggo:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OSU_Matthew posted:

The real trick is being able to wiggle your ears, because you can just control the muscle to make them pop on demand :smuggo:

I can work them independently :smuggo:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have, and unfortunately the only thing that really helps any more is doing the plug-nose-and-blow thing, and doing that hurts like hell even a few seconds after the 'pop', so I was hoping there's something that can keep it from getting that bad in the first place. I'd understand if I'm just out of luck, though.

I have the same issue, the only thing that really helps is finding a set of good foamie earplugs and not taking them out between takeoff and landing. It might take a few tries to find a style that fills your ear holes tightly, but when you do you can buy a lifetime supply for like 50 bucks.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

100% Dundee posted:

Nvidia Shield is the best streaming device on the market imo. Plenty of processing power even for 4k stuff.

Can 100% confirm this. My husband and I have one that we use with Plex. We're able to stream 4k HDR content on it without any issues. The game streaming is also really awesome if you have an Nvidia graphics card in your desktop.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for an dimmable, battery powered, clip-on, led light to stick on a little tool box. It needs to be as small as possible as my box is always too full.

The idea is to clip it on the top of the lid. Before I blindly buy a couple from Aliexpress I figured it was worth asking.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

my box is always too full

This is the name of my all-women rockabilly group

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

This is the name of my all-women rockabilly group

If you got a box, the urge is to fill it up.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

That's actually the name of our live album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I just wanted to get your opinions on washer/dryer combos? I am going to move into a flat that essentially only has space for either a washer or a dryer. Does anyone have experience with these? I have no problems with drying my clothes outside of the house but we have unpredictable weather here (hooray New Zealand!). Thanks!