Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you like anime, Hidive is absolutely worth subscribing to. They have a metric fuckload of both subbed and dubbed stuff, to the point where I frankly haven't even scratched the surface of the volume of crap they have on there, and off the top of my head I can say they have the entire Patlabor franchise and Ninja Scroll on there and those two things are worth $3.99 on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If you like anime, Hidive is absolutely worth subscribing to. They have a metric fuckload of both subbed and dubbed stuff, to the point where I frankly haven't even scratched the surface of the volume of crap they have on there, and off the top of my head I can say they have the entire Patlabor franchise and Ninja Scroll on there and those two things are worth $3.99 on their own.
Of
Hidive has Legend of Galactic Heroes, in case you want an anime that is all about space politics and space battles based on real life historical politics and historical battles. Also if you want to see two Terminator 2 liquid-metal Death Stars battle each other to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4tPmy-cJo

Also get familiar with the jokes some older goons post every now and then:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 28, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just watched the D Train with Jack Black and that was a pleasant surprise, I had never even heard of it. It's got some really drastic swings between goofy, subtle humor and pretty loving dark humor.

It was jarring but really well done.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So many dubs, which is kind of disappointing for me. Still, I've wanted to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes for a while...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

atholbrose posted:

So many dubs, which is kind of disappointing for me. Still, I've wanted to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes for a while...

Everything that's dubbed is available subbed too, with it being as simple as a drop-down toggle.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Everything that's dubbed is available subbed too, with it being as simple as a drop-down toggle.

Not everything -- and I guess I just got unlucky in the couple of things I tried. I see the option on other shows, though. Hmm, hmm. I'll have to find things to watch.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
All three seasons of Monsters are on Prime. I'm pumped to watch them for nostalgia reasons alone, I don't even care if it turns out to be garbage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tweet my meat posted:

Little late to the party, but Brawl in Cell Block 99 was loving nuts. Definitely Vaughn's best performance.

I actually really, really like Vaughn in these harder edged roles. He's a big guy and he can be a really imposing figure when he wants to be. He was 100% my favorite character in the second season of True Detective, which isn't saying much given the quality of that season, but still.

I did a double feature this weekend on Netflix of Raw and Gerald's Game. I'm 100% in agreement that the last 10 minutes of Gerald's Game can gently caress right off, but everything else about it was pretty good. Raw on the other hand is probably the best horror movie I watched in a good many years and I still get chills any time I think about the finger scene.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

mysterious frankie posted:

All three seasons of Monsters are on Prime. I'm pumped to watch them for nostalgia reasons alone, I don't even care if it turns out to be garbage.

Some of the episodes are super dated of course, but I was super excited when I saw they were on Prime. When I was a kid, we’d eat dinner then I’d hurry up and put on SciFi so I could watch reruns of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

:same:

I was like ‘wait, what?!’ when it got to the end. I got a kick out of the scene with the tennis balls full of coke though.

Count me in as well, especially since I did recognize the actor at first. But yeah I highly recommend A Stupid and Futile Gesture

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

DeathSandwich posted:

I did a double feature this weekend on Netflix of Raw and Gerald's Game. I'm 100% in agreement that the last 10 minutes of Gerald's Game can gently caress right off, but everything else about it was pretty good. Raw on the other hand is probably the best horror movie I watched in a good many years and I still get chills any time I think about the finger scene.

That last scene at the dinner table though

:drat:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DeathSandwich posted:

I actually really, really like Vaughn in these harder edged roles. He's a big guy and he can be a really imposing figure when he wants to be. He was 100% my favorite character in the second season of True Detective, which isn't saying much given the quality of that season, but still.

I like Vaughn. But True Detective was such a dumpster fire and I always thought he looked wooden and forced in it. I can't remember how he did in 'Domestic Disturbance'.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like Vaughn. But True Detective was such a dumpster fire and I always thought he looked wooden and forced in it. I can't remember how he did in 'Domestic Disturbance'.

I always liked him in Into the Wild for that. He’s kind of a comedy character but has a harder edge than usual.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you're interested in A Futile and Stupid Gesture, this is a pretty good Netflix video about the main character's influence on comedy and stuff.

At least watch from 1:50 or so even if you don't care about the movie.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Martman posted:

If you're interested in A Futile and Stupid Gesture, this is a pretty good Netflix video about the main character's influence on comedy and stuff.

At least watch from 1:50 or so even if you don't care about the movie.

why did they put a frame of dickbutt at the end? how was doug kinney involved with that?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Vince Vaughn is pretty awesome in Return To Paradise. Don’t know if any of the services are streaming it though.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Wish Upon is on Prime Streaming. It's a really dumb pg-13 horror movie that I never would've watched if not for Mike's praise on Half in the Bag's 2017 review roundup.

Claire: I wish my dad wasn't so embarrassing!

Wishbox: Your dad will stop digging through trash and start playing sultry jazz sax and all of your friends are going to want to gently caress him.

Claire: Great. For my next wish...

This movie is so bad that it's good. I think you're supposed to relate to Claire, the protagonist, but she is nearly completely unlikable and makes one bad self centered decision after another throughout the film.

At a point, I thought that Claire was going to waste every one of her 7 wishes on dumb bullshit. vague spoilers Eventually she makes an outlandish wish and the retribution for that wish is maybe the best moment in the entire movie. Then just before the end of the movie she makes one last incredibly stupid and unnecessary move which sets up a sequel. I hope to god there's a sequel with the same creative forces involved and that the protagonist is as dumb as rocks in the next one. I'd watch a new "idiot makes self centered wishes" movie each year without hesitation.

Watch with friends, you'll have a good time.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Is fairly odd parents on streaming anywhere?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed The Big Sick on Amazon Prime last night. I went in blind while also steeling my nerves for another cheesy rom-com but it was surprisingly very good and funny.

Fake edit: Honestly, anyone who liked Master of None should really check this movie out. They both scratch the same itch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

rngd in the womb posted:

I really enjoyed The Big Sick on Amazon Prime last night. I went in blind while also steeling my nerves for another cheesy rom-com but it was surprisingly very good and funny.

Fake edit: Honestly, anyone who liked Master of None should really check this movie out. They both scratch the same itch.

I really liked both, but I don't really see the similarity.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Oh lord

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just started Future Man on Hulu and I'm going to be sad if it doesn't get renewed. I haven't laughed that hard at a TV show in a long time.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

Both protagonists are in the show biz, big on obscure movies, their struggles with familial/cultural issues an important thread in their stories, and their stories are about love. That's where all of the similarities end. The plots in both stories are very different. :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jolo posted:

Wish Upon is on Prime Streaming. It's a really dumb pg-13 horror movie that I never would've watched if not for Mike's praise on Half in the Bag's 2017 review roundup.

Thanks, this looks like my kind of bad movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It came up in Chat and I looked around to rewatch it, and The Best Offer is on Hulu. Absolutely fantastic movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

It came up in Chat and I looked around to rewatch it, and The Best Offer is on Hulu. Absolutely fantastic movie.

drat straight.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Nihonniboku posted:

They both star brown people, about it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Did anybody ever finish watching the Mr. Mercedes series? The Stephen King show exclusively on AT&T's DirecTV? Do you know if it'll ever be available to the rest of the world?

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 31, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

magnificent7 posted:

Did anybody ever finish watching the Mr. Mercedes series? The Stephen King show exclusively on AT&T's DirecTV? Do you know if it'll ever be available to the rest of the world?

If anyone could tell me how to actually watch it I’d be thrilled. I don’t have DirecTV because I’m not insane, but I loved the book and was looking forwards to the adaptation.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If anyone could tell me how to actually watch it I’d be thrilled. I don’t have DirecTV because I’m not insane, but I loved the book and was looking forwards to the adaptation.
The first two installments are free on some AT&T / Audience Channel site, and they were great - very on-point from the book. Kind of sad the rest is buried beneath a turd corporation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Babylon Berlin good? It taking place during the twilight of the Weimer Republic has got me interested.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mammal Sauce posted:

I just started Future Man on Hulu and I'm going to be sad if it doesn't get renewed. I haven't laughed that hard at a TV show in a long time.

It already has.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been going through some pretty severe depression lately and Paddington was just the movie I needed. It's an absolutely delightful movie that anyone of any age can enjoy. It's extremely heartfelt, and a lot of the physical comedy is hilarious. One of the best kids movies I've ever seen.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know when this was common knowledge, but I'm sad to see Annihilation won't be going directly to Netflix this month. At least not in America. On the one hand, great, I'll get to see it in a big theatre, on the other hand, dammit it'll cost moneys.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

edit: what the hell? The preview looks like it's got SOME of the book's events, but has almost none of the plot points that mattered in the book - it's all about the monsters and the guns and stuff. Am I just blocking out the action adventure movie part of the book?

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 1, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tweet my meat posted:

I've been going through some pretty severe depression lately and Paddington was just the movie I needed. It's an absolutely delightful movie that anyone of any age can enjoy. It's extremely heartfelt, and a lot of the physical comedy is hilarious. One of the best kids movies I've ever seen.

Paddington was so goddamn charming.

And, sorry to hear about your depression. If you’re looking for some more movies like that, I could probably give you a laundry list, as I would search out a lot of movies like that when I was depressed af

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

edit: what the hell? The preview looks like it's got SOME of the book's events, but has almost none of the plot points that mattered in the book - it's all about the monsters and the guns and stuff. Am I just blocking out the action adventure movie part of the book?

I've had the book sitting on my backlog for a while, but I recall most of the people who read it saying none of it ever really makes sense and it never answers of the questions it brings up. Doesn't sound like great material for a Hollywood transition.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

magnificent7 posted:

I don't know when this was common knowledge, but I'm sad to see Annihilation won't be going directly to Netflix this month. At least not in America. On the one hand, great, I'll get to see it in a big theatre, on the other hand, dammit it'll cost moneys.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

I mean, you're basing that on the trailer. For all you know, they are putting all the most explosive parts in the trailer.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
Has anyone seen Devilman Crybaby? I'm sometimes reluctant to get into anime series, but I've heard it's pretty good. Is it worth the four hour time investment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Crass Casualty posted:

Has anyone seen Devilman Crybaby? I'm sometimes reluctant to get into anime series, but I've heard it's pretty good. Is it worth the four hour time investment?

It is waaaaacky and I like it. The first half is probably better than the second, because it's completely gonzo. The second half is only... mostly gonzo.