Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Trash Trick posted:

Again: hardship befalls us all. Yet we do not all chose to blame the world, and tell everyone around us how terrible our lives are. If you find yourself surrounded by these people, get away.

This is some libertarian poo poo: overgeneralized to the point of uselessness, absurd on the face, and completely detached from reality

the country is being ethnically cleansed by nazis my guy, and the economic recovery is a lie. If you have friends who tell you everything is great at the moment you are extremely privileged, and or a nazi yourself so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

crazy cloud posted:

This is some libertarian poo poo: overgeneralized to the point of uselessness, absurd on the face, and completely detached from reality

the country is being ethnically cleansed by nazis my guy, and the economic recovery is a lie. If you have friends who tell you everything is great at the moment you are extremely privileged, and or a nazi yourself so

yikes

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
when did the doomsday economics thread turn into an advice column written by an autistic person

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Lmao at a cop

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

did I just read two pages of some nerd advocating the power of positive thinking

get banned, freak

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

pfizerman posted:

did I just read two pages of some nerd advocating the power of positive thinking

get banned, freak

Choosing the people you surround yourself with carefully is not positive thinking. It's practical advice. Have fun in your sadbrains feedback loops, all.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mutual aid is a communist plot, networking is the light and the word

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the poor should just put "some of the wealth being realized by my labors ending up personally benefiting me for the first time in the last 4 decades" on their dream board imho

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

the poor should just put "some of the wealth being realized by my labors ending up personally benefiting me for the first time in the last 4 millenia" on their dream board imho

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Goon Danton posted:

Mutual aid is a communist plot, networking is the light and the word

You think that communism can eradicate the hardships of life?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It's better than ghettoizing your own friends so maybe

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Trash Trick posted:

Choosing the people you surround yourself with carefully is not positive thinking. It's practical advice. Have fun in your sadbrains feedback loops, all.

it's actually not practical at all

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Trash Trick posted:

You think that communism can eradicate the hardships of life?

List of hardships of life communism can eradicate: Homelessness. Food insecurity. Insane medical costs. Cops murdering your dog/neighbor/you.

List of hardships of life communism can't eradicate: Death in general. Stubbed toes.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

List of hardships of life communism can't eradicate: The death of living things you care about. Stubbed toes.

The five year plan will provide the extra steel we need to give everyone workplace appropriate steel toed boots, tovarishch. :ussr:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

List of hardships of life communism can eradicate: Homelessness. Food insecurity. Insane medical costs. Cops murdering your dog/neighbor/you.

List of hardships of life communism can't eradicate: Death in general. Stubbed toes.

Ostensibly, if your friend is homeless, food insecure, running from a cop who is trying to murder them, etc, you help them. You both make efforts to improve your situations. Their life improves. Thus they are not a perpetual victim. If you asked them, "has everything gotten shittier and shittier for you over the last few years?" they'll say some form of "Well yeah, poo poo happened, but it wasn't all bad, and I'm lucky to have friends who helped me"

there are some who will take the assistance, and still bemoan their circumstances. These people are drags. Drop them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

When my friends are down I sell them a copy of The Secret on a convenient installment payment plan. And then if they're still down when the last payment comes in, I drop them to the loving curb. And now all of my friends are well off! It's an incredibly effective strategy.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

how many times can one poster type ":sever: from all of your poor and downtrodden friends" before he realizes he is a sociopath

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

how many times can one poster type ":sever: from all of your poor and downtrodden friends" before he realizes he is a sociopath

I never once said that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

loving lol at "Hey person, if everyone around you is saying that their lives have exclusively gotten worse over the last 8 years you might want to take a look at who you are surrounding yourself with" = "sever from everyone poor or in difficult circumstances"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Trash Trick posted:

Ostensibly, if your friend is homeless, food insecure, running from a cop who is trying to murder them, etc, you help them. You both make efforts to improve your situations. Their life improves. Thus they are not a perpetual victim. If you asked them, "has everything gotten shittier and shittier for you over the last few years?" they'll say some form of "Well yeah, poo poo happened, but it wasn't all bad, and I'm lucky to have friends who helped me"

there are some who will take the assistance, and still bemoan their circumstances. These people are drags. Drop them.

"i am fortunate to not have known any of my lessers and i make sure to tell them they are parasites if ever they should appear before me"

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

someone please take out the trash

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

"i am fortunate to not have known any of my lessers and i make sure to tell them they are parasites if ever they should appear before me"

If that's what you read into it then you've got problems man.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Anyone who dies under communism died because of communism

Anyone who dies under capitalism was probably lazy or something and deserved it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the problem isn't people not wanting to improve their lot bad enough, it's that the whole late capitalist system literally cannot exist without a permanent majority of the population being in a state of permanent debt and constant work for poo poo wages, and the system reinforces and codifies this on all levels to keep it going for just a bit longer

anybody who thinks the poor don't bust their rear end despite poo poo being more or less hopeless for them in many cases is cloistered and buying a convenient lie offered by fiscal conservatives, which is to say that they're exactly fine with everything the Trump and Pence wings of this government stand for an enforce

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Trash Trick posted:

turn ur monitor on

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

this forums newbie is about 5 post from trying to sell you on his new crypto startup

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
if you and all your friends are poor and getting poorer year after year, you should disown each other as friends and, uh, go find a system of natural caves where you can live separately as hermits i guess

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

don't worry a cop i understood what you were saying

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Trash Trick posted:

loving lol at "Hey person, if everyone around you is saying that their lives have exclusively gotten worse over the last 8 years you might want to take a look at who you are surrounding yourself with" = "sever from everyone poor or in difficult circumstances"

It really ruined the prospects of all those republicans that spent the last 8 years complaining about the Obama economy.

Stoicism is the engine of civilizational collapse, please don't advocate it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well i agree with the general rule of surrounding yourself with good people and if they're bad, :sever:

but my theory of mutual aid and a society that takes care of people, is that it takes care of everyone whether i like them or not. i don't want to be friends with everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7qdowoemo

also i didn't read any of those other posts lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'positive thinking' is a capitalist invention to make people fine with poo poo collapsing around them while rich assholes are getting richer from plundering the world. Someone who refuses to acknowledge that a lot of bad poo poo is happening is at best naive or in denial, at worst a sociopath or completely deluded narcissist

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Trash Trick posted:

If that's what you read into it then you've got problems man.

Maybe being born into the this hosed-up world is what gives people psychological problems, and judging them as 'people you shouldn't be around' and blaming them personally for mental problems accrued as a result of having spent their entire lives getting kicked around by an aggressively dysfunctional society... kinda makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat?

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Yo this derail blows can we get back to the psychotis apocalypse worshipping nazis being infiltrated by the dprk death cult cause that's somehow better than this slapfight namaste

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
D E H U M A N I Z E Y O U R F R I E N D S A N D F A C E T O C A P I T A L I S M

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

old man, consider yourself blocked. i hope this gives you a chance to think about your negative attitude

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/957849970366992384

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

slumdoge millionare posted:

Yo this derail blows can we get back to the psychotis apocalypse worshipping nazis being infiltrated by the dprk death cult cause that's somehow better than this slapfight namaste

I got you fam

The founder of that crypto-based dating app (Luna) I mentioned earlier waded into the comments section to clear up the motivations:

"Vinay Gupta posted:

Kids cost a quarter of a million dollars each, and the majority of the crypto nerds who’ve made bank are otherwise pretty ordinary people – it’s like lottery winners, rather than (say) investment bankers – far less of a filter on who got rich. For women that want families, these two facts are not unrelated: you need to be in a position to raise kids with things like health insurance and college funds, and finding a crypto nerd who did OK is one way of getting that kind of preferred environment for your offspring. This is perfectly reasonable: life is hard, and money takes away some of the risks.

These folks aren’t playboys or yacht inheritors. They’re a bunch of nerds with far, far more money than average nerds, and they’re staring at the world trying to figure out what to do next. One of those possible next steps is “find a nice girl, settle down, have some kids, maybe do a bit of coding on something, yeah.” I know several of these people. I am not one of them.

For the guys in that demographic, Luna might be precisely what they need to move forwards in their lives by finding partners who are looking to settle down. That is where I expect to see most of the actual action on Luna: people looking to settle down and have kids.

It's basically lite eugenics, enabling otherwise un-dateable crypto nerds to reach desperately poor nubile young women scared for the future of their kids:

"Vinay Gupta posted:

So remember we are not operating in a vacuum. Luna exists in a society which is already broken, and we cannot fix that society with a dating site.

What Luna does is puts money on the table at the start of discussions. Back in the age when men paid for first dates, because they were doing the asking, and that’s just polite, women got a change to immediately assess financial security. If you’re going to the opera and then dinner at the Ritz, this guy has the potential to pay for your kids college educations. Particularly in countries without socialized medicine, the financial status of your partner can be a matter of life and death for your children. I see no reason women should not take this seriously if they want kids.

So my guess is that the main female users of Luna will be women that are serious about having kids, and want to remain in or rise to the social class where your kids have health insurance and college educations. These women are very poorly served by existing options, and maybe Luna fixes that.

can't wait to see what other kind of remora-like industries spring up around the crypto boom

bearbaiter
May 30, 2011
CryptCoin: the currency you CAN take with you

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Biotruthr, the new dating app

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Before finishing the account creation process, please place your skull into the HeadTruth sizing machine provided, to better match you with a partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like Uber, but for phrenology cephalometric dating metrics