Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Holy moly:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-lancia-stratos/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well, if twelve of us each pony up thirty one grand, we can each have it for a a month!

I had no idea it ran that extreme negative camber. Interesting. The instrument panel is also gorgeous, my God.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kyoon, what did you think of this one, quality to price wise?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-lancia-fulvia-2/

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
That looks like a steal for 14 grand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I hate the fake HF striping and stickers considering the car is in no other way set up for rallying and I think the type of PO who is likely to add those is probably an idiot. The final price was fair to decent if all of the potential issues with the car were identified by BAT people. Based on the PO and the seller, I'm not confident of that at all. The subframe mount should have been identified and replaced earlier, and the "just needs an alignment!" misdiagnosis doesn't inspire confidence, so I chose to sit it out.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Of course a GTV6 GP with pretty low mileage and looks to be in good condition pops up for $9000 when I'm in the middle of exams (dead). Not that it matters since I don't have a "big trailer" license, so can't bring it home anyway. Really need to find the time to get me a license like that. Missing out like hell, and GTV6's are probably going to shoot up in value soon...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think they're already climbing. I am only allowed one (1) fun car, or else I would buy one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I'm thinking that I have to move ahead and try to get one this year. Even if it is my "attainable dream car", there is a limit of how much I'd pay before I'd rather get something that's more expensive (like an older Alfa) that won't be as far a leap in price anymore. Also, part of the charm is that it isn't too expensive right now to drive comfortably.

I do want to hear that Busso roar though..

VVVVV: Pictures don't do the Giulia enough justice. Every time I see one in real life it looks better than on pictures. Very nice.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2018

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Took the Giulia out for a little snow-crossing this morning. The Q4 all wheel drive is nicely responsive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, part of the charm is that it isn't too expensive right now to drive comfortably.

As long as you maintain it, you'll be able to enjoy it without worrying about the long term costs -- there'll always be some money to recoup when you sell it.

Comrade Flynn bought one of the Delta Integrales on BaT, and the 3 or 4 Delta guys who post on every listing have really made me want to get one.
Despite all of CT's warnings on how it doesn't handle well, that exhaust sounds killer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cholmondeley posted:

Took the Giulia out for a little snow-crossing this morning. The Q4 all wheel drive is nicely responsive.

What AWD system is it using? Haldex 5?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think it is Magna Actimax. In normal conditions it is 100% RWD with a LSD rear diff. Once the rear starts slipping it can transfer up to 50% of torque to front. Front diff is open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKtqvktbFY

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 6, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
here's your reminder about this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgWWNJVdYA

Chris Harris sitting in a 037, Stratos, Delta S4. No he's not driving. I watch this every few months and it never fails to make me smile.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slothrop posted:

here's your reminder about this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgWWNJVdYA

Chris Harris sitting in a 037, Stratos, Delta S4. No he's not driving. I watch this every few months and it never fails to make me smile.

I will second this being a video to return to multiple times. The old fuckers on here are still insanely quick, reactions on point.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I will second this being a video to return to multiple times. The old fuckers on here are still insanely quick, reactions on point.

I LOVE watching Paolo Andreucci make faces when he drives the 037. Mouth open, tongue out. He clearly is enjoying this. Judging from Harris' reaction he's going faster than the previous runs too. Then the 22B at the end.... oh geez. Hate to think what the prices for those will do when they become US available.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's a Maserati Khamsin on BAT with the euro bumper which has to be one of the most attractive cars ever made

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's a Maserati Khamsin on BAT with the euro bumper which has to be one of the most attractive cars ever made

There's a dude local to me who owns one and I was graced by it's beauty twice in as many days as I was cycling home from work. Guy clearly enjoys driving it, he was wearing the hugest poo poo-eating grin.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Test fitting ITBs on a 24v 75.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 14, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well I'd like to know more

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It is a unfinished trackday 75 project my father bought from another guy I know. Then another local guy had a set of AHM ITBs for sale at unresistable price so here they are. It is a 3.0 24v with cams, high compression pistons, solid lifters and little bit of head work. It should make 300+ hp. Several people have claimed 100 hp/l from 24v bussos with just AHM ITBs and exhaust without any internal work on the engine. Jim Kartalamakis (Alfa guys may know the name from engine books) from Greece provided exhaust headers which await installation. I would sure like to have a set for my GTV6 as well.

For my GTV6 (3.0 24v as well) the goal for this winter is to rewire everything driveline related and move to a standalone ecu from the current 166 Motronic setup. I've also got new rear brake calipers and an adjustable blade front swaybar waiting for installation. The 30 mm non- adjustable swaybar I had is too stiff with my current setup. Too much understeer. Courier just brought this from Demon Tweeks. I intend to use this to wire ecu, wideband and instruments from scratch without relays or fuses.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Pardon my ignorance, but what benefits will the standalone ECU have in the GTV6? Is it "just" generally more efficient and faster compared to the stock / older units, as well as allowing for customization? Love the ITBs.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The GTV6 currently has a 164 3.0 24v running 166 Bosch ME2.1 management with drive-dy-wire throttle. For some reason the combination is not really giving out the power and torque it should. Maybe it is related to missing vehicle speed information or something. So the goal with the standalone is to remove the possibility that the ecu is holding it back. It also uses an adapted 166 wiring loom which is messy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

News:

Ferrari Has Plans to Make an Electric Supercar

quote:

Ferrari NV will make a battery-powered supercar to challenge Tesla Inc. at the high end of the electric-auto market, Chief Executive Officer Sergio Marchionne said.

The race-car maker, spun off from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, has been expanding its lineup to lift sales without losing the exclusivity of a brand associated with Italian design and super-fast roadsters. Marchionne, who heads both companies, also told reporters at the Detroit auto show on Tuesday that Ferrari will introduce its first SUV, which will be "the fastest on the market" by late 2019 or 2020.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Group A GTV6 at Spa:

Group A 75 at Spa:

Spa WTCC '87. The red Alfas are factory cars.

This is pretty much what a factory Group A 75 engine bay looked like in period.

Engine of Oliver Koerfgen's 75. He is aiming for 500 hp. (The car is a former Group A as well)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 19, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FYI the latest grand tour episode has a nice Lancia 037 retrospective(which saddens me a lot as most people nowadays remember Florio as “that dude that comments Formula 1” rather than the dude that clowned Audi like suckers)

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Oh man, if I only had a garage.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/1964-fiat-1500-cabriolet/6456207203.html

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A friend's 75 went to dyno. 342 hp / 444 Nm at wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's a pretty big snail. did stock transaxle and such hold up to it or is there a bunch of custom work?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's a pretty big snail. did stock transaxle and such hold up to it or is there a bunch of custom work?

So far they have. The whole driveline backwards from engine is stock turbo. The engine is a 2.0 TS with pistons, H-profile rods and stronger cylinder liners. Runs on E85. It runs on MS2. VVT gave 50 Nm more in midrange now that it is active.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Question for any of you that have a GTV6: I just realized that I'm probably not the average 80's Italian man, I'm 192cm (6' 3-4"), with long legs. Am I screwed?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Question for any of you that have a GTV6: I just realized that I'm probably not the average 80's Italian man, I'm 192cm (6' 3-4"), with long legs. Am I screwed?

I'm 190 and I fit quite happily into a Fulvia and a Beta HPE, so I think you should be alright? Different cars obviously but also Italian and similar time period

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I've got a GTV6 but i'm 180 cm with short legs so I am well suited to Italian cars.

With you measurements I guess you would have to sacrifice the idea of a having a passenger behind you and maybe look in to steering column extenders.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DoLittle posted:

and maybe look in to steering column extenders.

That was the number one thing that took my 348 from awkward to drive to sublime -- a 25mm steering wheel spacer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm going to be getting rid of my '15 STI at some point this year and am looking for something that's for lack of a better term, more refined than my current car. What's the consensus on the Giulia as opposed to a 3 series, A/S3, CLA/C Class or other options in that similar price range, so that's going to exclude the QF obviously.

I had a '13 Abarth that I bought new(yeah yeah) that really soured me on the brand and the dogshit dealership network so that makes me wary. I offloaded it for the STI after about 7k miles and numerous gremlins at a monstrous loss because I was worried about the car literally falling apart on me. It was fun as hell to drive, I'll give it that.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2018

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Phone postin' or I'd link some pics.

http://www.autoieri.eu/cgi-bin/archivio/LANCIA-DELTA-S4-Gr--B-564-ITA.asp

Definitely click around the site, they have some sick poo poo.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DoLittle posted:

I've got a GTV6 but i'm 180 cm with short legs so I am well suited to Italian cars.

With you measurements I guess you would have to sacrifice the idea of a having a passenger behind you and maybe look in to steering column extenders.

Grakkus posted:

I'm 190 and I fit quite happily into a Fulvia and a Beta HPE, so I think you should be alright? Different cars obviously but also Italian and similar time period

Cool, never thought about spacers. Thanks

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Shrapnig posted:

I'm going to be getting rid of my '15 STI at some point this year and am looking for something that's for lack of a better term, more refined than my current car. What's the consensus on the Giulia as opposed to a 3 series, A/S3, CLA/C Class or other options in that similar price range, so that's going to exclude the QF obviously.

I had a '13 Abarth that I bought new(yeah yeah) that really soured me on the brand and the dogshit dealership network so that makes me wary. I offloaded it for the STI after about 7k miles and numerous gremlins at a monstrous loss because I was worried about the car literally falling apart on me. It was fun as hell to drive, I'll give it that.

If you can, try a couple of different dealers. I drive an hour past my closest Alfa dealer to go to one I like. As for the car, it's an absolute joy to drive and own. If you're looking for "entry level luxury" as I once saw it described, then I don't know, but if you're looking for a car that will make you create excuses to go on drives, then the Giulia might well be for you.
Take one for a test drive.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My new commute has me putting $85-90 in gas every 4-5 days in my '12 TL Advance (Elite). I think I should sell it and buy a 124 Spider Abarth. I live out in the country in Canada where we get lots of snow. Tell me this is a bad idea. I would put snow tires on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VERTiG0 posted:

My new commute has me putting $85-90 in gas every 4-5 days in my '12 TL Advance (Elite). I think I should sell it and buy a 124 Spider Abarth. I live out in the country in Canada where we get lots of snow. Tell me this is a bad idea. I would put snow tires on it.

Buying an Abarth is never a bad idea.

Get silly.

• Locked thread