Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm still going through a DS9 rewatch so watch TOS so I don't accidentally spoil you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Windows 98 posted:

I just finished up TNG the other day. I had never seen an episode of Star Trek before. I dabbled a few episodes of TOS before deciding to move to TNG, and am ultimately glad I ended up watching TNG first. I watched every episode in order. At first I was a bit weary and ready to be dismissive, but TNG has placed itself in my top shows of all time now that I’m finished with it.

I was going to type a long winded post of opinions, but I am lazy. So instead I’ll just say that Seasons 1-3 were good but had a handful of episodes each that were pretty weak. Most notably Shades of Grey, which was an abominable turd of an episode. Seasons 4-7 were consistently good every episode with only a tiny fraction that weren’t great; very few. Darmok was my favorite episode I think. And while I misjudged it early at first Lower Decks became a favorite too. My memory may bit blurry on exactly which episodes belong to which season but I’m pretty sure Seasons 5 And 7 were the best of the series. I thought the Borg were cool, but became pretty lame after a while. I liked the series finale, and it’s a shame there weren’t more episodes with Q. Data is obviously the stand out character of the series.

Ok so what next. DS9 or TOS?

I'm going to go against the grain and say TOS. You don't have to watch the whole thing, but certain episodes, like Balance of Terror and Errand of Mercy, might help provide some context for what comes later (not for DS9, but TNG-era Star Trek).

DS9 is a solid choice, but I have to put a vote in for TOS because it's the series that started it all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

I just finished up TNG the other day. I had never seen an episode of Star Trek before. I dabbled a few episodes of TOS before deciding to move to TNG, and am ultimately glad I ended up watching TNG first. I watched every episode in order. At first I was a bit weary and ready to be dismissive, but TNG has placed itself in my top shows of all time now that I’m finished with it.

I was going to type a long winded post of opinions, but I am lazy. So instead I’ll just say that Seasons 1-3 were good but had a handful of episodes each that were pretty weak. Most notably Shades of Grey, which was an abominable turd of an episode. Seasons 4-7 were consistently good every episode with only a tiny fraction that weren’t great; very few. Darmok was my favorite episode I think. And while I misjudged it early at first Lower Decks became a favorite too. My memory may bit blurry on exactly which episodes belong to which season but I’m pretty sure Seasons 5 And 7 were the best of the series. I thought the Borg were cool, but became pretty lame after a while. I liked the series finale, and it’s a shame there weren’t more episodes with Q. Data is obviously the stand out character of the series.

Ok so what next. DS9 or TOS?

Watch "The Trouble with Tribbles" from TOS and then watch DS9. Not a joke.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Ah that explains it. I was thinking Wes had to be a huge loser to study his whole life with space engineers and nanite projects but still struggle to get admitted to Starfleet while Tasha has no formal education and just gets in. Also hard to imagine Worf studying that hard but whatever.

Dog_Meat posted:

Bit earlier in the thread, but... let's not forget that early Worf pulled a phaser on a viewscreen. There must be some kind of fast track for the special kids

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that the bridge of the Ent-D at the start of TNG has a Klingon, a non-Fed Human, a half Betazed, a blind man and the Federations only sentient android. It's pure advertising propaganda targeted at any other species they come across about how inclusive and lovely the Federation is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that the bridge of the Ent-D at the start of TNG has a Klingon, a non-Fed Human, a half Betazed, a blind man and the Federations only sentient android. It's pure advertising propaganda targeted at any other species they come across about how inclusive and lovely the Federation is.
The (((Federation))) is trying to trick you into moving into a soft post-scarcity economy free of most material deprivations!

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Just popping in to ask why isn't there more Shran, and more Andorians in general?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fasdar posted:

Just popping in to ask why isn't there more Shran, and more Andorians in general?

Antenna aren't cheap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's very funny and apropos that the new Star Trek hero ship is black and gunmetal. They managed to hold back the first suicide bomber to episode 6 lol!

Are you talking about the Discovery? It’s pretty bronze coloured, honestly.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Show me any and all badass STO ships plz

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's a lotta things but bronze sure as poo poo ain't one of them.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

The (((Federation))) is trying to trick you into moving into a soft post-scarcity economy free of most material deprivations!

Hahha I am totally going to steal the (((Federation)))

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks bronze to me. Dark bronze, but bronze nonetheless.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s clearly gold pressed latinum that has been weathered by space, you philistines.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

Antenna aren't cheap.

This was seriously it. The whole reason the Bolians were invented was because the Andorian makeup was expensive and they still wanted blue-skinned aliens now and then so the Bolians were created as a cheap alternative.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The_Doctor posted:

Are you talking about the Discovery? It’s pretty bronze coloured, honestly.

That dorsal view really shows the nacelle extensions, drat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Peachfart posted:

Also, DS9 is really good. Just give it some time, and understand that life is a bit different on the outskirts of the Federation compared to on the flagship.

I mean they already got through TNG season 1 without wanting to give up, so DS9 season 1 should really be no problem.

A "best of" list of TOS episodes might not be a bad intermission. There's certainly no need to watch all of it though. 90% of the episodes are kind of just riffing on the same basic concepts. Being a '60s show, they didn't really intentionally do "world-building". A few episodes are important, the rest are just for fun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Watching all of TOS can be fun. You can get the cliff notes version sure, but there’s definitely some hidden gems that, accounting for taste, probably won’t make it onto many lists of Important Episodes, and a lot of the bad episodes are charming or entertaining in their own way. Even for the genuine stinkers, I think it helps one’s perspective on Trek as a whole to take the bad with the good, even if it means you wasted an hour of your life on “The Empath”.

Fresh from TNG, I think DS9 is a better choice though. It’s a direct response to TNG and what they couldn’t or wouldn’t do there, so I think it is very natural to follow up a watch of TNG.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Make sure to watch The Paradise Syndrome. That episode totally holds up.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The main thing about DS9 getting so much hype now is to realize that it doesn't mean TNG was a bad show by any means, it just wasn't a serial

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

shovelbum posted:

The main thing about DS9 getting so much hype now is to realize that it doesn't mean TNG was a bad show by any means, it just wasn't a serial

The longer form storytelling and character development are definitely a huge part of DS9's appeal, but I think it's also fair to say that it has a better ratio of good vs bad scripts than the other series, judged on a per episode basis.

Also, the best thing about STO is that you can be a buttheaded alien.

VVVVV :vince:

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know, slap some blonde hair on there and he would look more like Beavis

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cythereal posted:

This was seriously it. The whole reason the Bolians were invented was because the Andorian makeup was expensive and they still wanted blue-skinned aliens now and then so the Bolians were created as a cheap alternative.

Ironically Evolution/Natural selection is not wholly unlike this either....

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Why not just sprinkle individual TOS episodes in while you're going through DS9? Not everything has to be a binge watch, jesus.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The longer form storytelling and character development are definitely a huge part of DS9's appeal, but I think it's also fair to say that it has a better ratio of good vs bad scripts than the other series, judged on a per episode basis.

Also, the best thing about STO is that you can be a buttheaded alien.

VVVVV :vince:

Also lol at the TMP-style uniform.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and say TOS. You don't have to watch the whole thing, but certain episodes, like Balance of Terror and Errand of Mercy, might help provide some context for what comes later (not for DS9, but TNG-era Star Trek).

DS9 is a solid choice, but I have to put a vote in for TOS because it's the series that started it all.

I'm thinking about going through the must-watch episodes of TOS. What others are there?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why not just sprinkle individual TOS episodes in while you're going through DS9? Not everything has to be a binge watch, jesus.

This is the best way.
ESPECIALLY given DS9's rocky first season (not more so than TNG, but still)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm thinking about going through the must-watch episodes of TOS. What others are there?

My own personal list -- though I should mention I'm 4 episodes away from finishing my own watch-through. I could try to separate these into "actually good", "camp value", "so bad it's good" but it really all kind of blends together with this show. It can be entertaining for all of the above reasons, except when it isn't.

• Where No Man Has Gone Before
  • The Naked Time
  • Mudd's Women
  • The Corbomite Maneuver
  • The Menagerie (or The Cage)
  • Balance of Terror
  • The Squire of Gothos
  • Arena
  • Space Seed
  • The Devil In the Dark
  • Errand of Mercy
  • The City on the Edge of Forever
  • Amok Time
  • The Changeling
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Doomsday Machine
  • I, Mudd
  • Journey To Babel
  • The Trouble With Tribbles
  • Bread and Circuses
  • Spock's Brain
  • The Tholian Web
  • Plato's Stepchildren
  • Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
  • That Which Survives
  • The Way To Eden
  • Turnabout Intruder

And then when you're in the mood for "so bad it's bad", check out The Alternative Factor.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I watched Spock's Brain a few weeks ago after hearing about it in this thread and it was a masterpiece

Brain and brain, what is brain???

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I couldn't tell if you included the one with space Abraham Lincoln

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Probably almost everyone would agree on:

Where No Man Has Gone Before
Amok Time
Mirror Mirror
City on the Edge of Forever
Trouble with Tribbles
Space Seed
Balance of Terror
Errand of Mercy
The Naked Time
Devil in the Dark
The Menagerie
Doomsday Machine
Journey to Babel
The Tholian Web

Personally like these ones also:

Squire of Gothos
The Ultimate Computer
Bread and Circuses
All Our Yesterdays
The Man Trap
The Enemy Within
Corbomite Maneuver
Day of the Dove
Galileo Seven
A Taste of Armageddon
Who Mourns for Adonais
A Piece of the Action
Specter of the Gun
Dagger of the Mind
Conscience of the King

WTF is this, so bad it’s good stuff:

Shore Leave
Plato’s Stepchildren
Catspaw
Arena
The Omega Glory
Spock’s Brain
Enterprise Incident
The Savage Curtain
What Are Little Girls Made Of
The Apple
Gamesters of Triskelion
I, Mudd
Wolf in the Fold

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 29, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Add in A Piece of the Action

E: refresh before post :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I couldn't tell if you included the one with space Abraham Lincoln

I haven't seen it yet, as an adult at least, so it's possible it should be in there.

I figured if I'm gonna make a list at all I should try to include only one or two each of the "godlike being" or "Earth-like planet" genre to keep things varied. The ones where you can basically swap a few words in the script, I tried to choose the best example.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Lemming posted:

I haven't seen it yet, as an adult at least, so it's possible it should be in there.

I figured if I'm gonna make a list at all I should try to include only one or two each of the "godlike being" or "Earth-like planet" genre to keep things varied. The ones where you can basically swap a few words in the script, I tried to choose the best example.

This one is godlike being but apart from Abe Lincoln also has Surak and Kahless and Ghengis Kahn so it's pretty big on Vulcan and Klingon lore.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This one is godlike being but apart from Abe Lincoln also has Surak and Kahless and Ghengis Kahn so it's pretty big on Vulcan and Klingon lore.

Oh yeah, I wasn't addressing that one specifically, I was more referring to "A Piece of the Action". Which is kinda fun but "Bread and Circuses" is the same thing but ancient Rome and it's better.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sir Leming and Skasion have pretty good lists. I would add The Enterprise Incident, since I'm a bit surprised it didn't make either list. It's one of the third season's truly all-around good episodes, and not merely "funny" good like, say, Spock's Brain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I put it under so bad it’s good, which might be a bit harsh but eh. I like it, but it’s very fanservicey and the plot does not make much sense.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Booo to any TOS list that does not include A Piece of the Action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

:thumbsup: