Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheScott2K posted:

Wolfenstein II pretty much killed any faith I had left in reviews of AAA games.

Yeah it feels like they are just straight up lying at this point. Nothing is believable anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have Monster Hunter XX on the switch and some of later game monsters take more than 90 minutes to kill. If you make a single mistake you get to start over again.

sounds terrible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah it feels like they are just straight up lying at this point. Nothing is believable anymore. :(

Or maybe...peoples enjoyment of games is subjective?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

HyperPuma posted:

sounds terrible

it loving sucks

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Or maybe...peoples enjoyment of games is subjective?

Nah, it's mostly corruption. Either pandering to stay in a developer's good books, bribery or plain old fear of rabid fanbases.

After the hype dies down the real opinions come out. The next Monster Hunter will finally be the one with amazing graphics and a perfect entry for newcomers, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: sure. I'm sure it's that, and not you having a knee jerk reaction to what sounds like about 15 minutes of playing it. All of the goons that are enjoying it are on Capcoms payroll too.

E:
Although, even though this gamer gate nonsense your spewing makes me laugh, I do think it will be more polarizing than it seems right now. Game is clearly not for everyone.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 27, 2018

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Poor dumb Americans can’t undrtsnd the eccense of japan lifeblood monster Hunter r

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Nah, it's mostly corruption. Either pandering to stay in a developer's good books, bribery or plain old fear of rabid fanbases.
I wish someone would finally do something about ethics in games journalism.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I tried Monster Hunter back in the day on the OG PSP.

In concept I thought I’d like it but even then it had clearly outdated mechanics. This was in the year 2006. It’s just loving boring and a chore to do anything.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: sure. I'm sure it's that, and not you having a knee jerk reaction to what sounds like about 15 minutes of playing it. All of the goons that are enjoying it are on Capcoms payroll too.

E:
Although, even though this gamer gate nonsense your spewing makes me laugh, I do think it will be more polarizing than it seems right now. Game is clearly not for everyone.

I have never said anything remotely related to gamer gate.

I also accept that people like this sort of game, especially goons. I'm allowed to think they have bad taste.

I'm talking about fawning reviews for a game that has a lot of problems. These problems are glossed over or never mentioned at all.

But keep attacking me if you want, makes you look really mature.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am gathering from reading the MHW thread that a lot of people are loving it, but these might be the people that are fans of the series already? Maybe for those that have never played the series it’s not that great. Because of all the hype I’ve kept watching some streams here and there and I can’t spot the finesse of any of the combat through all the janky clipping. And the graphics look really strange for an X game

I could definitely see it’s appeal from a fun grindy co-op aspect. A lot like Destiny sort of.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dino destiny is like a bad kotaku headline

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a japanese dressup sim but to dress up you gotta play a technical and clunky dragons dogma fight. Its pretty good at achieving these goals

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I too call other games people love janky and bad without first hand playtime.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

“MHW is the janky Dino Destiny with a cat ghost you’ve always been missing.”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I also accept that people like this sort of game, especially goons. I'm allowed to think they have bad taste.

I'm talking about fawning reviews for a game that has a lot of problems. These problems are glossed over or never mentioned at all.

Pretty sure I wasn't "attacking" you. You talk very definitively and smugly about things you clearly know nothing about on a regular basis, and act shocked when you get called out on it. Try growing some thicker skin.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 27, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yep definitely not attacking me. :rolleyes:

Stop making this about me and talk about games. If you don't like my opinion, refute my opinion like an adult, don't go after me personally.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This thread still has a better plot than quantum break

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stop making this about me and talk about games. If you don't like my opinion, refute my opinion like an adult, don't go after me personally.

I love how you frequently call everyone stupid for liking things you don't and then it's all "wahhh why can't every take the high road like me?". Sorry mang but your either full of poo poo or have zero self awareness.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Haven't called anyone stupid any time recently. You seem to be confusing criticism of games with criticism of yourself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I see no difference between that and saying people have bad taste for liking something you clearly know nothing about, but have really strong opinions on. As you seem to do so much.

I also want to know what you are smoking, thinking MH looks bad. Game looks incredible.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Quantum break did one thing that I wish more narrative and rpg games did, and that's "Previously on..." with a recap of the story up the point you are at.

There's been so many games live not played for a while and even though I want to play them, I don't as I can't remember the plot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the recaps are kind of nice. I actually think the whole TV show thing wasn't a bad idea, but they really didn't integrate it well and the quality off the show was just kind of lackluster.

It's really not a bad game, just really unremarkable. It seems like they wanted to accomplish a lot more than they did with it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I found it had a lot of the mechanics of Timeshift that came out several years before and it doesn't being anything new to the table.

Technically less as Timeshift allowed you to rewind time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is monster hunter a game that a person who’s never played the series would be in to? I’ve watched a bit of it and it seems to be in a world of its own. A few things stand out that make me hesitate to try it. There are a ton of menus and a lot of things to learn, the clipping of the monsters through both your character and the ground makes it seem a bit cheap, and it looks like the fights are trying to be dark souls but just aren’t nearly as complex.
Monster Hunter was doing the Dark Souls thing before Dark Souls existed. It's pretty much a series that changes the core very little and then heaps up stuff on top of it over time, which is probably why it still looks kind of janky despite the truckload of options. MH fans probably also demanded it stay that way, if I had to guess.

On the bright side for any newcomers, it looks like they have added more handholding to this installment than I've ever seen before. That's gotta be pretty vexing to the regulars though.

This is basically restating what's already been said but that's my hobby

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah for all the praise Dark Souls gets MH plays pretty much the same, removes the levels and enemies, and just sets you out to find and hunt the bosses in their habitat with up to 3 of your friends and rewards you with cool armors for doing so. You also get every weapon at the start and can freely change between them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh that sounds like a sales pitch for Dark Souls more than anything. Which is allright because DS is a much better game. MH is pretty cool though.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I don't know what that idiot was talking about earlier in the thread. The new Monster Hunter looks pretty drat good on the One X. And you can choose to prioritize either resolution, framerate or graphics.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Quantum Break was pretty good, actually.

Not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but it was pretty solid. The time travel story was solid and internally consistent... but you had to hunt down all the documents to "get" it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't know what that idiot was talking about earlier in the thread. The new Monster Hunter looks pretty drat good on the One X. And you can choose to prioritize either resolution, framerate or graphics.

Why even have an X if you're unable to tell what good performance/textures are?

I can't wait for the Digital Foundry review. It's no coincidence they didn't post it in the launch week.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I can't wait for the Digital Foundry review. It's no coincidence they didn't post it in the launch week.
It'll be fun to see but ultimately fruitless. It's an online game so you go where your friends are, and you know how the odds lie for that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Can confirm that Monster Hunter looks like trash on the X. Not sure how they get away with calling it enhanced, it looks like a 360 game with awful textures on everything but the monsters. Even the HDR is bad.

And of course it is extremely not my poo poo in general, as predicted.

It's awful. Way worse than I imagined. It's a janky, corny, over-complicared relic of the past that looks and runs like poo poo on the X. I don't understand how people put up with this in 2018.

After the hype dies down the real opinions come out. The next Monster Hunter will finally be the one with amazing graphics and a perfect entry for newcomers, too.

Haven't called anyone stupid any time recently. You seem to be confusing criticism of games with criticism of yourself.

Nice meltdown

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's awful. Way worse than I imagined. It's a janky, corny, over-complicared relic of the past that looks and runs like poo poo. I don't understand how people put up with this in 2018.

How long can thread titles be again?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imagine buying an Xbox One X with the expectation that it would sell well enough that third party ports would cater to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

acksplode posted:

Imagine buying an Xbox One X with the expectation that it would sell well enough that third party ports would cater to it.

I'll have you know Monster Hunter World's existence raised Xbox One X Japanese sales by 21300%. That's right, they almost sold 1300 of them in Japan last week.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You don't buy the Xbox One X for the specs, you buy it for the license to bitch online about how third parties are disrespecting your powerful console with subpar ports, and how anyone who thinks the ports look fine aren't Gamers of Virtue capable of perceiving true Performance and Resolution

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nothing I love more than posting about how much I hate games and game consoles

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nothing I love more than posting about how much I hate games and game consoles

:same:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

acksplode posted:

You don't buy the Xbox One X for the specs, you buy it for the license to bitch online about how third parties are disrespecting your powerful console with subpar ports, and how anyone who thinks the ports look fine aren't Gamers of Virtue capable of perceiving true Performance and Resolution
Neither, you buy it to feel smug about robbing a potato chip company of a small part of their ludicrous fortune, which they had already set aside for such an event and will harm them in no way whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't buy the Xbox One X.