Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DroneRiff posted:

There should be (though I can think of lots of $$$ reasons why there isn't), a nice easy website where you can drop in artist/album names and see which streaming services they're available on in your country. Or at least a free, no sign-up needed area the service site for the same thing.

Something I got for Christmas came with a code for a free month of Amazon Music Unlimited (the one you have to pay for on top of Amazon Prime). Going to give that a spin when I clear my Spotify backlog. If anyone is interest, I'll post any interesting things I can/can't find with it.

There’s a movie and TV version of this so I don’t see why it couldn’t work for music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've only used Spotify Premium, but it's hard to imagine the other services have a better selection of obscure metal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been pretty impressed with Tidal when it comes to metal.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
does tidal have the dumb bullshit rules against "hate music" and removes bands from the service for that reason?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

does tidal have the dumb bullshit rules against "hate music" and removes bands from the service for that reason?

Not that I've noticed.

I'm pretty sure you can go to listen.tidal.com and look up bands/discographies without an account.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
oh neat.

it also seems like spotify reversed their decision on bolzer so it seems like at least some bands are getting back on the catalog.

i just use apple music and then buy whatever on bandcamp and i cant remember the last time i couldnt find something i wanted.

poo poo has come a long way in the past 10 years.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh neat.

it also seems like spotify reversed their decision on bolzer so it seems like at least some bands are getting back on the catalog.

i just use apple music and then buy whatever on bandcamp and i cant remember the last time i couldnt find something i wanted.

poo poo has come a long way in the past 10 years.

The only reason I use Tidal is that it is included in my phoneplan.
Can't beat €20 for 20gb data, 20hrs, unlimted sms/mms and Tidal premium sub.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've only used Spotify Premium, but it's hard to imagine the other services have a better selection of obscure metal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've tried them all (for my work) and I can confirm Spotify is ahead on metal by an absolute mile.
Although if Jay-Z reunites & joins Bolt Thrower I'll have to switch over

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

ditto on this

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This is a little weird.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is anyone else just feeling completely OVER Mastodon?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, for the last decade or so

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nah their last album is my favorite of theirs and I’ve listened to every release hundreds of times.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

That still bugs me a lot. Okoi isn’t a loving Nazi c’mon Spotify. Not saying the guy hasn’t done some things worth questioning but ugh the situation is so dumb.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

me your dad posted:

This is a little weird.

Extremely for it.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I will never be over their discography up through Crack the Skye. Everything since has been pretty good. I just try not to think of it as the same band.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Primus is pretty amazing live. I've seen them 3 times, and a couple Claypool bands live too. Amazing every time.

Mastodon have been mediocre at best every time I've seen them live.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
mastodon opening for high on fire before they put out remission was one of the best shows i have ever seen, mainly because they sounded technically flawless and just had sound samples between each song instead of interacting with the crowd.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i saw them in a basement opening for clutch when remission had just come out and it was obvious they'd be huge

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

I really like Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain but anything after CtS is incredibly boring to me.

Have to say their live shows are still very good.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Crack the Skye is the one album from them I can consistently like. The rest just doesn't do it for me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spatulater bro! posted:

I never liked Mastodon from the beginning. :smug:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We played with Mastodon right after Remission came out and I saw Brent butt-rear end naked, anyway that's my story.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

COOL CORN posted:

Brent butt-rear end naked

Mastodong?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's not so much Mastodon is done but sludge as the pre eminent genre of metal is on the decline and they're intrinsically linked to being the face of sludge. It looks like the genre to be the main metal genre is now Doom Metal which has seen a huge resurgence.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I once saw Mastodon with High On Fire, Converge, and Dethklok.

It was Halloween night, so all the members of Mastodon dressed up. Brent Hinds dressed up as Jackie Moon from Semi-Pro and ended up pissing himself on stage.

That's my Mastodon story. Crack The Skye was a very good album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Primus are also my favorite band so I'm stoked. I was in high school last time I saw either of them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Malaria posted:

Primus is pretty amazing live. I've seen them 3 times, and a couple Claypool bands live too. Amazing every time.

Mastodon have been mediocre at best every time I've seen them live.

Mastodon are notoriously inconsistent live - sometimes they sound as primal as Remission and Leviathan and other times they seem to be high as gently caress and half assing The Hunter. Having seen them with Gojira and Baroness makes clear the differences because Gojira are always technically on point and Baroness are one of the few bands that might as well be rock stars with the "it" factor thanks to how charismatic John Baizley is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nah, I just saw rear end-todon

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baroness has the worst loving album production.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

Baroness has the worst loving album production.

The production of the last one grew on me but god drat it’s so weird and frustrating. The music deserves so much better.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Lid posted:

Mastodon are notoriously inconsistent live - sometimes they sound as primal as Remission and Leviathan and other times they seem to be high as gently caress and half assing The Hunter. Having seen them with Gojira and Baroness makes clear the differences because Gojira are always technically on point and Baroness are one of the few bands that might as well be rock stars with the "it" factor thanks to how charismatic John Baizley is.
Two of the three members that sing sound like poo poo live (Brent can't even pull off his Ozzy impression, and Brann is trying to sing while drumming). Also I think they're tired of playing Blood and Thunder even though the crowd always loves it. They're not as good as Gojira, sure, but Gojira is amazing live and there's plenty of room in between Gojira and "not worth seeing".

Really, the selling point for that tour for me is that they're coming to the Greek Theater in Berkeley.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lid posted:

It's not so much Mastodon is done but sludge as the pre eminent genre of metal is on the decline and they're intrinsically linked to being the face of sludge. It looks like the genre to be the main metal genre is now Doom Metal which has seen a huge resurgence.

I don't think sludge was ever the 'pre eminent' genre of metal really

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a Mastodon live story. I think it was in 2010 when I saw them when they ended their tour in Berkeley on the same night High on Fire was ending theirs since they're from that area. They just combined the shows so it was Mastodon, BTBAM, High on Fire, Baroness and four others for like 7 hours.

At one point Brent just stopped singing and walked off the stage mid song. He was gone for a bit, but then from where I was standing I could see him over behind the curtain actually playing along. He was also drinking a beer and just chatting with some lady.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Nor has any genre been, at least since the mid-80s. Weird take.

Mastodon also haven't played anything resembling sludge in over a decade.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mastadon being the face of sludge is uh...really far off.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

A human heart posted:

During the last decade or so sludge would be the most accessible and, for lack of a better phrase, popular form of metal. Mastodon were by both contemporary and retrospective the metal band beginning with Leviathan all the way up until The Hunter (while we can debate Sand I dont think anyone's really clamouring for Once more Round the Sun). They were being compared to Metallica as the public face of that generation and sludge alongside them - High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa, Black Tusk, Red Fang, Neurosis, Torche - and are more identified with it than their peers - Eyehategod, Electric Wizard and Boris. Sludge was everywhere and it had crossover appeal.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if someone started a band that sounded exactly like paramore with blast beats they'd make well probably not a killing but a marginal living maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMdqgPPTLoA

I kinda liked this. If such a band existed and had a decent vocalist I'd probably listen to them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lid posted:

High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa, Black Tusk, Red Fang, Neurosis, Torche - and are more identified with it than their peers

Weird, none of them would be among the first I'd use to describe sludge to anyone.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nor has any genre been, at least since the mid-80s. Weird take.

Mastodon also haven't played anything resembling sludge in over a decade.

Dunno,black metal was everywhere in the 90's.and to a lesser degree power metal in the eu and south america.ymmv though.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

joylessdivision posted:

I kinda liked this. If such a band existed and had a decent vocalist I'd probably listen to them.

the cell phones are kinda like this (not constant blasting though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Snowy posted:

Weird, none of them would be among the first I'd use to describe sludge to anyone.

Agreed. Maybe High On Fire, but I consider them to have elements of sludge rather than being purely sludge. I would use stuff like Eyehategod, Buzzoven, Gluey Porch Treatments by the Melvins, etc. None of the bands that dude listed I would describe as sludge.