Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

As a dumbass kid....

as a REALLY dumbass kid who was loving around with a TURNED ON CRT TV
I got a really good zap from the flywheel transformer and am a bit lucky to be around.
Gained some healthy respect for electricity and learned not to pull that poo poo

My "the hard way" lesson was cutting out a resistance heating element in an induction hvac unit. I turned off the power at the unit but didn't test it properly. Turns out it was back-fed and when my pliers cut the lines it shorted 277v to the neutral. There was an ear-ringing bang and I was fortunate that the unit contained the chunks of the cutter that exploded. Tenants in the suite thought it was gunfire, but no, just an idiot tripping an 80ish amp breaker with a direct short. Oh, and it was Federal Pacific gear too, so I was really lucky it wasn't worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm just lucky I only ever get bit by 120V in one hand. Just a little tickle to wake you up.

Anyways, reading through the last couple of pages, were there people thinking we (USA) use 120V three phase? Because that's not quite right. You typically see 208V, 230V, or 460V on our three phase systems (line to line voltages). On occasion, you'll see a 575/600V site like our Canadian friends like to use.

What's really fun is when a motor is built for 230 or 460 operation, but it's labeled as being "able to work" on 208. The trick to that is that it really needs to be 208 or higher. Even a slight variance down to 206V can be enough that motor overloads start tripping and poor techs out in the field are pulling their hair out over it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

As a dumbass kid....

I got a really good zap from the flywheel transformer and am a bit lucky to be around.
Gained some healthy respect for electricity and learned not to pull that poo poo
When I was a kid I learned that if you have a helium balloon that's partly deflated it will stick to the front of your crt TV. I also learned the hard way that said balloon turns into a big capacitor and will shock the poo poo out of you if you touch it after a while. :v:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Memento posted:

A friend of mine is a property manager. He has a block of 8 apartments in a nice neighbourhood where the roof partially lifted off in the big storms we had here in late 2016. It lifted up in a big gust of wind, then slammed back down, causing structural damage to the building as well as messing up a lot of the plaster and paint inside. They got an engineer to get into the roof from the inside and check out the roof ties, which were obviously hosed in one way or another.

Turns out the roof ties didn't exist. The roof was re-done in the early 2000s, and no ties were installed. So how did the roof stop from blowing away from any gust of wind?

Bricks. Large bluestone bricks, holding it down.

Hundreds of bluestone bricks.

Big pile on the corner in case it lifts up!

Better make sure the aerial doesn't blow over! How are we going to do that? I know, bricks!

What loving gets me is that some contractor in the last ten years or so must have been up there to install a satellite dish and just went "Oh yeah, bricks. That's not normal. I'll file those under N for Not My Problem".

edit: you used to be able to make the lines of bricks out on Google Maps but I guess they've just updated the imagery for that area.

That seems completely normal... for a traditional hut in the Alps...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Aztec posted:

As a dumbass kid....

I lost my electrocution virginity at about 10 years old to a 15,000 volt (30ma) neon sign transformer what could easily pull 3 inch arcs. I got a little too close one day while screwing around, and it bit me, and lit me up. It's still sitting on the shelf in my garage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Explosionface posted:

I'm just lucky I only ever get bit by 120V in one hand. Just a little tickle to wake you up.

Anyways, reading through the last couple of pages, were there people thinking we (USA) use 120V three phase? Because that's not quite right. You typically see 208V, 230V, or 460V on our three phase systems (line to line voltages).

Yeah, but 208V line-to-line is 120V line-to-neutral, which is why you see 208Y/120 or something like that.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but 208V line-to-line is 120V line-to-neutral, which is why you see 208Y/120 or something like that.

Right, which is why it tends to be popular (in more office type settings). 208 for bigger stuff, and three legs of 120 for anything else.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

glynnenstein posted:

My "the hard way" lesson was cutting out a resistance heating element in an induction hvac unit. I turned off the power at the unit but didn't test it properly. Turns out it was back-fed and when my pliers cut the lines it shorted 277v to the neutral. There was an ear-ringing bang and I was fortunate that the unit contained the chunks of the cutter that exploded. Tenants in the suite thought it was gunfire, but no, just an idiot tripping an 80ish amp breaker with a direct short. Oh, and it was Federal Pacific gear too, so I was really lucky it wasn't worse.

I was 4 or 5 years old when I got my taste of electricity. I was walking barefoot on the backyard, right after my grandma cleaned it up. Pools of water everywhere.

I look down, and there's an extension cord that's half plugged in to another extension cord. I grab it. I remember falling down, completely rigid and paralyzed and bashing my head against a nearby plant pot.

Next thing I know, I'm on my father's lap, 1/3rd of my index finger covered in a 3rd degree burn, and another smaller 3rd degree burn on my middle finger. First and only really dangerous accident I've ever been in :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm confused about what sort of mess in a yard requires water at all to clean, let alone enough to make pools, and why there'd be a live extension cord in one of those said pools.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Baronjutter posted:

I'm confused about what sort of mess in a yard requires water at all to clean, let alone enough to make pools, and why there'd be a live extension cord in one of those said pools.

Electric power washer on a deck or patio comes to mind.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress if I know, I was just a young capacitor

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

When I was a kid I learned that if you have a helium balloon that's partly deflated it will stick to the front of your crt TV. I also learned the hard way that said balloon turns into a big capacitor and will shock the poo poo out of you if you touch it after a while. :v:

My first difficult lesson about electricity was when I mistook the cooling slots on the top of the TV for a piggy bank when I was 4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Look, they make the claw on the back of a hammer for a reason

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its just a fingernail

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its just a fingernail

boooooooooo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dude's lack of peripheral circulation is the real danger

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Dude's lack of peripheral circulation is the real danger

his vasoconstriction couldn't possibly be related to the flood of epinephrine released from a nail driven into his finger

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Car looks american, I vote diabeetus.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its just a fingernail
:golfclap:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its just a fingernail

:yeah:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
'Hurt' by Nine Inch Nails begins to play in the background.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Jesus!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Needs to be a few inches closer to the wrist for that.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Look it says sturdy what more do you want?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Look, they make the claw on the back of a hammer for a reason

It actually took me like 3 looks over this to realise the nail is through his finger. I thought it was something dumb like he was holding it next to an exposed 500kv wire or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Nearly everyone has experienced a shock in the tens of kV from good old static electricity.

I don't know what the voltage was, but my shocking moment was with a paper shredder that had jammed due to a fuckton of shredded material ending up in the inner workings about 4 years ago. I had disassembled it down to the main mechanism on top of the collection bin, and I tried lifting the circuit board out to clean under it....without unplugging the machine (I had it plugged in to test some stuff with the blades to see what was jammed). It felt like my fingers were suddenly vibrating rapidly until I dropped it.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I had an ex whos parents had a house. When the lived they they wired up some deck lights with a length of romex attached to the outside of the deck, held on with wire staples. They eventually moved out and rented the house to her aunt and family. The family hooke the dogs leash to the romex and let him use it for a run and after a while it rubbed through the wire. It was raining one day and the father came home and fount his wife and kid both dead in the yard, as near as anyone figured out the kid went out to unhook the dog and was electrocuted, the mother saw her kid and went to help and suffered the same fate. the dog was fine though.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know what the voltage was, but my shocking moment was with a paper shredder that had jammed due to a fuckton of shredded material ending up in the inner workings about 4 years ago. I had disassembled it down to the main mechanism on top of the collection bin, and I tried lifting the circuit board out to clean under it....without unplugging the machine (I had it plugged in to test some stuff with the blades to see what was jammed). It felt like my fingers were suddenly vibrating rapidly until I dropped it.

I had encounters with an improperly trimmed comb rail and a screw terminal with very liberally stripped conductors.
I know that feeling.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

4th of July from a show being launched off the end of a pier. I don't think the one on the bottom was supposed to detonate only 50ish feet over the technician's heads:

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Fabulousity posted:

4th of July from a show being launched off the end of a pier. I don't think the one on the bottom was supposed to detonate only 50ish feet over the technician's heads:

Happens all the time.. shell not fully at the bottom of the mortar, or insufficient lift charge from poor manufacturing or shipping damage etc.

“Low Break!!” If you have good PPE you’ll be fine :)

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

Phanatic posted:

It's not the amps *or* the volts. It's the joules!

I zapped myself with 1 kV once but it was on the low-current side of the transformer and it didn't do anything but hypercontract every muscle in my upper torso, and I grunted and dropped the offending device. Everyone in the lab looked at me for a second and then we all realized what happened at the same time and started laughing. You know how they still use ECT to treat severe clinical depressives? I can see how that works because that shock must have dumped a quart of serotonin into my system, I was in the best mood for about the next week.

I can understand the need to kill yourself when you put in in those terms.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Explosionface posted:

What's really fun is when a motor is built for 230 or 460 operation, but it's labeled as being "able to work" on 208. The trick to that is that it really needs to be 208 or higher. Even a slight variance down to 206V can be enough that motor overloads start tripping and poor techs out in the field are pulling their hair out over it.

I think you can use a autotransformer to go up from 208V to 240V or down. Or 277 down to 240. But you cannot use an autotransformer to go from say 277V to 120V or 4160V to 480V because it provides no isolation like a regular two-winding transformer does.

Also here are all the AC voltage combinations I heard of:

69/120
120/240 (Edison two pole)
120/208
240/400
277/480
347/600
580/1000 (mining equip???)
2400/4160
4160/7200
7200/12.5k
13.8kV
34.5kV
69kV
138kV
345kV
500kV
1000kV (one test transmission line in Japan)

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

chitoryu12 posted:

Lucky. I'm from Alabama, so of course we had a beer fridge outside under a shed, with nonexistent grounding. I go to get a soda in drizzly weather, and my bare feet complete the circuit. The muscles of my hand clench around the refrigerator handle, and I can't let go. Thankfully, dear ol' Dad put the electrical receptacle at about eye level to my 10-year-old eyes, and I was able to unplug it while screaming like a banshee.

To his credit, Dad hammered down a 6-ft grounding rod later that day.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I think you can use a autotransformer to go up from 208V to 240V or down. Or 277 down to 240. But you cannot use an autotransformer to go from say 277V to 120V or 4160V to 480V because it provides no isolation like a regular two-winding transformer does.

Also here are all the AC voltage combinations I heard of:

69/120
120/240 (Edison two pole)
120/208
240/400
277/480
347/600
580/1000 (mining equip???)
2400/4160
4160/7200
7200/12.5k
13.8kV
34.5kV
69kV
138kV
345kV
500kV
1000kV (one test transmission line in Japan)

The soviets had an 1150kV line for a while in the 80s but it's since derated to 500.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Floppy disks are less floppy than I remember.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
:nms:https://i.imgur.com/fbM7DK0.jpg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Character design looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish