Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Saying that a government elected through fraud and propped up by graft and bribe is illegitimate doesn't necessarily imply its opponents have more legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Afghanistan is hosed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its so loving stupid, and it's gonna cause the worst humanitarian crisis since Ethiopia in the 80s and Somalia in the 90s.

quote:

In early October, 2016, the father of Hilal’s close friend Jalal al-Ruwayshan died. Ruwayshan, the Minister of the Interior, was working with Hilal in negotiating between Yemen’s various factions to end the war. The Ruwayshan family announced that it would receive condolences at the Al-Sala Al-Kubra Community Hall, in Sana’a. On the night before the funeral, Hilal’s son Hussein called his father and asked him to urge the Ruwayshan family to consider postponing the event. Since the beginning of the war, the Saudi coalition’s air strikes have hit large civilian gatherings. Hilal replied that the Saudi Air Force would not bomb the funeral. “Even war has morals,” he said.

As Hilal left for the funeral, Ammar Yahiya al-Hebari was preparing his d.j. mixing board at the community hall. Hebari is a solid-looking forty-year-old, with a white stripe in his hair. He is famous across northern Yemen as a funeral chanter. Like Hilal, Hebari thought there would not be a strike. The rebels and the Saudi government had just agreed to a U.N.-brokered truce, and the funeral “was not a political or political-party gathering,” he told me.

You can guess what happened next.

quote:

The third time that the hall shook, Hilal’s guard heard the sound of air whistling against the tail fins of a bomb as it zigzagged toward them, its guidance system making corrections to its trajectory. “Sir, it’s a missile!” he shouted. Hilal was smiling. The floor erupted in flames. As the guard lost consciousness, he saw a wall collapse and crush Hilal.

More than a hundred and forty mourners were killed and five hundred were wounded in the strike. Afterward, Yemeni investigators unearthed a tail fin of one of the bombs. The serial number indicates that the bomb, a Mark-82—a sleek steel case eighty-seven inches long, twelve inches in diameter, and filled with five hundred pounds of explosive—was produced by Raytheon, the third-largest defense company in the United States. The bomb had been modified with a laser guidance system, made in factories in Arizona and Texas, called a Paveway-II. The weapons are sometimes referred to as “dumb bombs with graduate degrees.” “They had been sold to the Saudis on the understanding that they would make their targeting more accurate,” Mark Hiznay, the associate arms director at Human Rights Watch, told me. “It turned out that the Saudis were failing to take all the feasible precautions in attacks that were killing civilians accurately.”

quote:

Some officials in Washington were skeptical of the Saudis’ plans, however. “I think they had a slightly rosier interpretation of how quickly the military effort would be successful,” Nitin Chadda, who was an adviser on national security to the White House, told me. The Saudis had been “choreographing” their desire to take steps against the Houthis, because they were uncomfortable with the idea of an Iranian proxy on their border, he said. But the specific plans to attack Yemen were not communicated to the U.S. Within D.C. circles, Chadda said, “there was certainly frustration” that the Saudis had acted so quickly, without clearly defining their long-term objectives.

In May, Andrew Exum was appointed Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Middle East Policy. “When I arrived, I sensed a lot of frustration,” he told me. The Administration was unsure about whether it wanted to be involved in the war. “Are we supposed to help the Saudis win or not? I don’t think we ever made our mind up there.”

Hilal decided to remain mayor of Sana’a, because he was concerned for the inhabitants, Hussein told me. “We’re talking about four million lives, we’re talking about people from everywhere in Yemen,” he said. “If he left office, things would be under the control of Houthis,” who had no experience running large metropolitan areas. In speeches to citizens, Hilal urged a kind of Blitz spirit: “Keep going for the glory of Yemen, for the ascendance of Yemen, for the stability of Yemen, for the revival of Yemen.”

quote:

The Obama Administration found itself entangled in the complexities of a war that involved so many regional players. The confusion extended to humanitarian concerns. Jeremy Konyndyk, at the time the director of USAID’s office of U.S. foreign-disaster assistance, told me that it often seemed as if the Saudis were thwarting efforts to get food to Yemen’s starving populace. Another former senior Administration official told me that the U.S. government spent four million dollars on cranes to unload relief ships at the Houthi-controlled port of Hodeidah, but the coalition, which had blockaded Yemen, did not allow the cranes into the country.

and ofc

quote:

month after the funeral-hall strike, Donald Trump was elected President. In January, when he was inaugurated, he promised a review of Obama’s foreign policy. “Their objective is a strong relationship with the Saudis, a strong relationship with the Emiratis,” Bruce Riedel told me. “Yemen is just not a priority.” The Saudis lobbied Trump’s National Security Council for the cranes purchased by USAID for Hodeidah to be returned. The National Security Council acceded, and the cranes have been sent to storage, at the U.S.’s expense. The former senior Administration official told me, “Since January, you’ve seen the humanitarian situation in Yemen fall off a cliff, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence.” According to Rajat Madhok, of UNICEF, the cholera crisis and the malnutrition are unprecedented. “ ‘Bad’ would be an understatement,” Madhok told me. “You’re looking at a health collapse, a systemic collapse.”

quote:

Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, is also associated with the Saudis. He has flown to the kingdom repeatedly for secret talks. In a relationship fostered by the Emiratis and by the Lebanese-American businessman Thomas Barrack, who is a friend of Trump’s, Kushner has grown close to King Salman’s thirty-two-year-old son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a chief proponent of the war in Yemen. (Gause, the professor at Texas A. & M. University, told me, “This is his war, it was his idea, he owns it.”) Kushner negotiated the new arms deal. As initially reported by the Times, he called Marillyn Hewson, the chair of Lockheed Martin, and asked her to lower the price of a radar system. According to a number of current and former government officials and weapons experts, Kushner’s action was irregular. It was also bad dealmaking. “Usually, a U.S. official would be lobbying a foreign government on behalf of U.S. industry, not vice versa,” Andrew Exum told me. “That just struck me as odd.”

and pretty predictably

quote:

Senator Murphy told me that the U.S.’s support for the coalition will prove detrimental to the country’s interests. “Our first job is to protect our citizenry, and, to me, these arms sales put U.S. lives in jeopardy,” he said. Dafna H. Rand, a Middle East expert who covered Yemen for the State Department under Obama, said, “The longer this war goes on, the longer there’s a risk of deep resentment against the United States that will be radicalizing and lead to full-strain extremism.” The Yemenis I spoke to expressed frustration with the U.S.’s role in the war. “We used to love and appreciate the U.S., because a large number of Yemenis live there,” Hebari, the chanter, told me. The war has now changed that calculus. “What appears to me is that the U.S. is funding and Saudi Arabia is the implementer.”

read the rest here: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/22/how-the-us-is-making-the-war-in-yemen-worse

It's loving infuriating.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

separatists in Aden backed by the UAE also seized several government buildings from the Hadi government the other day. There were dozens of casualties and several deaths in the fighting, which lasted hours. The coalition is a clusterfuck

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Squalid posted:

The risks are real. However I think people often forget that aggressive anti-terror campaigns have often have unpredictable liabilities. My favorite example is the US "shadow war" in Somalia circa 2003 which transformed what was maybe at most a few dozen al Qaeda sympathizers into Al Shabaab, one of the most active international terrorist organizations today. Their attacks against Uganda, Burundi, and Kenya came after those nations participated in the occupation of Somalia, and are explicitly conducted to pressure them to remove themselves from Somalia. Similarly IS coordinated attacks are explicitly in revenge for the coalition campaign against them. These groups are not irrational, their terror attacks are usually launched to achieve specific strategic or tactical aims. Stepping in has proved in some cases as dangerous as stepping back. In any case, I think its obvious that the opportunity cost of the war, that is what we could have done otherwise if we weren't stuck in that country, exceeds whatever modest benefits one can argue are accrued.

A recent Politico article about new army units specialized for modern advise and assist missions shows even the men involved usually have rather low expectations of what they will accomplish.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/26/afghanistan-specialized-units-army-312032

A good post, except for what you mentioned about Shabaab. It was a youth organization aligned with the Islamic Courts Union that got notoriety from defeating more secular warlords in the early aughts. It only really blew up in significance with the scorched earth invasion of Somalia by mostly Ethiopian forces. The turn to a more global emphasis (with predictably disastrous results, like the invasion of Southern Somalia by Kenyan forces) is a propaganda campaign to bolster an organization rapidly losing territory and operational ability.

The US is not responsible for everything that happens in a country, even if it does impact negatively somewhat.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

[quote="“Shageletic”" post="“480772075”"]
A good post, except for what you mentioned about Shabaab. It was a youth organization aligned with the Islamic Courts Union that got notoriety from defeating more secular warlords in the early aughts. It only really blew up in significance with the scorched earth invasion of Somalia by mostly Ethiopian forces. The turn to a more global emphasis (with predictably disastrous results, like the invasion of Southern Somalia by Kenyan forces) is a propaganda campaign to bolster an organization rapidly losing territory and operational ability.

The US is not responsible for everything that happens in a country, even if it does impact negatively somewhat.
[/quote]

Yeah but many analysts have written about how the ICU aligned youth organization grew out of self defense groups assembled to protect Afghan war veterans during the mid-aught intensification of warlord violence, brought about in part by and targeted at Afghan veteran due to US efforts to catch Somali al Qaeda sympathizers.

I don’t think the US is responsible for everything bad in the world, but I think the war on terror has produced much more blowback than most Americans realize. And giving money and guns to warlords and dictators like Saleh was probably not in our long term interest, even if it accomplished short term goals like killing a few more al Qaeda second in commands

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Shageletic posted:

But Ethiopia invaded at the behest of the US.

It wasn't intentional, but yes US meddling created a worse enemy in Somalia than existed there previously. At best, its very hard to say this meddling had a positive impact, for the population or for US strategic interests.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ethiopia invaded Somalia because some members of the ICU were trumpeting that they were going to liberate the Ogaden. The US just greased the wheels a little and facilitated what they already wanted to do.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

quote:

Within D.C. circles, Chadda said, “there was certainly frustration” that the Saudis had acted so quickly, without clearly defining their long-term objectives.

Gee, I wonder where they ever got this idea from.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump can't even get on the same page as his generals in Afghanistan.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/958032160698626048

https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/status/958041423785463808

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Hah, the generals think there's a strategy, how quaint.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Squalid posted:

Yeah but many analysts have written about how the ICU aligned youth organization grew out of self defense groups assembled to protect Afghan war veterans during the mid-aught intensification of warlord violence, brought about in part by and targeted at Afghan veteran due to US efforts to catch Somali al Qaeda sympathizers.

I don’t think the US is responsible for everything bad in the world, but I think the war on terror has produced much more blowback than most Americans realize. And giving money and guns to warlords and dictators like Saleh was probably not in our long term interest, even if it accomplished short term goals like killing a few more al Qaeda second in commands

Oh didn't know about the Afghan connection, interesting

Squalid posted:

Ethiopia invaded Somalia because some members of the ICU were trumpeting that they were going to liberate the Ogaden. The US just greased the wheels a little and facilitated what they already wanted to do.

Bingo. I lived in the region for 2 years, the enmity between the 2 countries cannot be overstated.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/958072842398072833

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
^ uhhhhh...so this is gonna be Turkey throwing its poo poo not just at Kurds but also at Assad? Or supplying their good Al-Qaeda linked friends, as their right to defend themselves now? If the latter, I can see that I guess...but if the former then I expect their projected 'buffer zone of security' to expand across a lot more than just Kurdish territories. :laffo:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I think Turkey might be...the bad guys????

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It may end up being more than that. There are rumors of shooting between Turkish and Assad forces.

https://twitter.com/Ozkok_/status/958082857326514177?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

What the gently caress?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is there anything beyond a few shots of a convoy?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I just read an article that describes some of the backdrop to this

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/01/turkey-russia-syria-idlib-may-be-source-of-conflict.html

quote:

The struggle at Idlib is considered by many to be the last act of the war against a jihadi group that is basically controlled by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham under the leadership of al-Qaeda-linked Jabhat Fatah al-Sham. Hayat Tahrir al-Sham labels the Astana and Geneva peace processes as treason, so the cease-fire Russia formulated excludes Hayat Tahrir al-Sham as well as the Islamic State (IS). From the outset, Russia said the cease-fire covers only “moderate" opposition groups; operations against Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and IS will not cease. Turkey, on the other hand — despite its approval of the Astana process — decided to place Hayat Tahrir al-Sham in a different category. Ankara first tried to reshape that organization as it had earlier with Ahrar al-Sham. When that didn’t work, Turkey tried to split Hayat Tahrir al-Sham. When that didn’t work as well, Ankara accepted the facts of life and decided to cooperate.

Ankara’s plan was to keep Idlib out of the operation no matter who controlled it until a political solution was found. In October, when Turkey first deployed its troops in Idlib, in line with the de-escalation zone plan, it was actually executing its own plans. When deploying Turkish troops north of Idlib closer to Afrin, Turkey made a deal with Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and coordinated its moves with the group.

quote:

A crisis was inevitable, given the divergences in interpretation of the de-escalation zones between Russia and Turkey. The operations toward Abu Zuhur continued despite Turkey’s objections.

The clashes have intensified in an area some 40 miles (64 kilometers) away from the Turkish line of deployment. Turkey has been determined to avoid any clash with the Syrian army until a political solution is found. But that risk is growing by the day.

quote:

It's not yet certain where the fragile relations between Russia and Turkey will go in this tense atmosphere, but it's clear Idlib is becoming a dangerous final stage in the war. It's possible that, in such a risky atmosphere, Ankara is hoping to hold on to Idlib and the triangle of al-Bab, Jarablus and Azaz that Turkey had secured in Operation Euphrates Shield, to use them as a card against Damascus in a settlement process. Such a card would have serious ramifications for the fate of the Syrian president and the future of the Kurds as they seek to build their autonomy in the north.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seems pretty rude for Erdogan to try to blitz Idlib after Russia gave up Afrin so readily. Plus as Al-Saqr has said, wtf is the point of intervening NOW, as opposed to back when it might have made a difference? I guess securing a token safe zone where they can dump refugees they don't want anymore is the real point for Turkey, but Erdogan spent so much time ranting and not doing anything that he ended up holding a bag of poo poo he's just now trying to clean up.

Just to be clear, I'm not calling the refugees a bag of poo poo, but just the way the war has been kind of a disaster for Turkey in general. They played footsie with jihadists who made the rebellion unpalatable to basically everyone else, and their ally ended up intervening on the behalf of the PKK to clear out some of the jihadists Turkey enabled, leaving the PKK still controlling a huge chunk of the border Turkey's either going to have to fight for or live with. Now Turkey's stuck ping ponging back and forth between Russia, which handed the war to Assad, and the US, which is still trying to prop up the YPG as a totally unrealistic alternative to Assad.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 29, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So how far away are we from a NATO member openly fighting Russian troops, exactly?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
oh my god I hope we all die asap

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

So how far away are we from a NATO member openly fighting Russian troops, exactly?

I wouldn't bet on it. Erdogan and Assad might play chicken for a bit, but Putin and Erdogan seem to have a decent working relationship at this point. Neither one wants a fight, and a close call or two will probably be enough to get them to come to terms. A Russian bomb actually killed three Turkish troops during Euphrates Shield less than a year ago, and it didn't lead to anything.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Orange Devil posted:

Welp, if Syrian govt. forces fight Turkish ones openly after this or such, I'd say not far now. Though if they use some of the S-400s on Turkish planes I guess technically you could say then that we're already there??? I dunno wtf man, either way Turkey's deffo loving the pooch big time with this one way or the other.

But yea, I'd agree with Sinteres - I doubt you'll see russian troops fighting turkish ones or poo poo like that. Their equipment might be a different story tho.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The other thing is that even if Erdogan wanted to engage in brinksmanship with Russia for some insane reason, Trump is the last US president you'd want to be counting on to bail you out if poo poo gets real. Aside from whatever affinity he seems to have for Putin, he thinks NATO is a bad deal for the US, and seems likely to drag his feet if Turkey can reasonably be said to have brought an attack on themselves. I don't think we'd be going full Clancy either way, because whatever limited gains either party can achieve in Syria relative to accepting the other side's position aren't worth fighting each other over, but Turkey has even more reason than usual to be careful about how it deals with the far bigger kid on the block. The US just isn't a reliable partner as long as our leader is who he is, whereas anyone dealing with Putin knows exactly who they're dealing with at this point.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To cut Clancychat short, as long as Assad or Putin does not attack anything on Turkish soil, NATO art. 5 does not intervene. If Erdogan sends troops to die in Syria, it's his problem.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I wouldn't bet on it. Erdogan and Assad might play chicken for a bit, but Putin and Erdogan seem to have a decent working relationship at this point. Neither one wants a fight, and a close call or two will probably be enough to get them to come to terms. A Russian bomb actually killed three Turkish troops during Euphrates Shield less than a year ago, and it didn't lead to anything.

Well that's good to know. I suppose we all hope Erdogan and Putin continue to act rationally towards one another.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Last week the bigger worry was that there will be open infighting between two NATO armies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Hah, the generals think there's a strategy, how quaint.

A general throwing up his arms and shouting "well who the gently caress makes the strategy? Me?!?" is one of the more quintessentially post-escalator mental images I can think of.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Is the National Interest a credible source?

https://twitter.com/CurtMills/status/958082178054836227

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Willie Tomg posted:

A general throwing up his arms and shouting "well who the gently caress makes the strategy? Me?!?" is one of the more quintessentially post-escalator mental images I can think of.
You now have a small glimpse into the day-to-day routine of James Mattis, who has done and is now doing exactly this.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/politics/trump-military-troops-afghanistan-mattis/index.html

quote:

Defense Secretary James Mattis announced Thursday that Trump had given him authority over Afghanistan troop levels, a little more than a month after the President had given him control over the number of US soldiers operating in Syria and Iraq. Mattis is expected to send some 3,000 to 5,000 additional troops to Afghanistan.

Former defense officials say civilian oversight of the military is not just an important check in a healthy democracy, it ensures that larger strategic considerations are taken into account -- while others question whether the Trump administration has a broader strategy at all. Former officials also stressed that even if a president delegates some decisions, there's no avoiding the fact that ultimate responsibility rests with the commander-in-chief.
--
Mattis told lawmakers Thursday that the President had delegated him the authority "to turn the numbers up and down as necessary" after months of discussion. Sen. Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican, said he wanted to "congratulate the President for having the vision and, quite frankly, good judgment to allow Secretary Mattis in consultation with a very good military leadership team to set the troop levels."
--
Trump's move to loosen the reins on military commanders in Afghanistan follows a similar decision about the generals' decision making authority in Syria and Iraq. In late April, Trump delegated authority to Mattis to set troop levels in the fight against ISIS, a move a senior US defense official said "enables military commanders to become more agile, adaptive and efficient in supporting our partners."
The alternative would involve explaining complicated things to Trump, expecting him to understand them, and trying to make a strategy using that dried up lump of senile grey matter he calls a brain.

Mattis running things works (sort of) until Trump says something that contradicts whatever our tentative "strategy" is. See: Qatar, North Korea, and now Afghanistan/the Taliban.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 30, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Point taken, but there are posters in this thread who claim that the democratic government in Kabul is illegitimate and that the US should instead give direct cash payments to the Taliban.

What is that, if not sympathy and support?

Political legitimacy refers the general population BELIEVING that the government actually has the right to govern. It does not, as a descriptive fact, matter whether the population believes that they hold legitimacy through The Divine Right Of Kings, The Will of the People, or They Have All The Guns. Even a democratic government that the people don't believe has any particular authority to govern them cannot actually govern.

There is no particular evidence that the democratic government in Kabul has legitimacy in the eyes of much of Afghanistan.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Think outside powers will be trying to fan the flames between Turkey and Syria?

I wonder because Assad had effectively "won" the civil war, by staying in power and regaining control over much of the country. But an awful lot of others, mostly in the West and the Gulf, really want Assad out. None are willing to invade Syria itself to achieve this, but if Turkey is willing to stick its dick in there, why not help it out? At least it keeps Syria unstable and Assad under pressure.

yeah yeah clancychat, just wondering if this has come up at all. I haven't heard reactions from the Gulf states on Turkey's latest incursion, I wonder what they think.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If Turkey was serious about fighting agianst assad I would suck erdogans dick and declare him the greatest middle eastern ruler since sliced bread. The problem is that he isnt serious because if he was he'd have done this sooner when it was sorely needed, and he wouldnt be cynically doing this only for his own calculations vis a vis the kurds, he's only interested in subduing the kurds, not actually helping the Syrians freedom when it was needed most.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

If Turkey was serious about fighting agianst assad I would suck erdogans dick and declare him the greatest middle eastern ruler since sliced bread.

I would like to read a story about when sliced bread ruled the middle east.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I would like to read a story about when sliced bread ruled the middle east.

sorry I like to use the term sliced bread as an inane way of saying 'a long time ago'. lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

sorry I like to use the term sliced bread as an inane way of saying 'a long time ago'. lol

Too late; imagining Lord Sourdough of House Thicksliced, heir to the Toaster Throne.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

https://twitter.com/Alladin_Al/status/958109940454961153?s=17

It would appear the internationally recognized Yemen government has fallen to the southern separatists.

Edit: That's probably incorrect. BBC is reporting both sides are deploying and calling more forces to Aden. Even pulling troops from the frontlines with the Houthis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42858270

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Alladin_Al/status/958109940454961153?s=17

It would appear the internationally recognized Yemen government has fallen to the southern separatists.

Edit: That's probably incorrect. BBC is reporting both sides are deploying and calling more forces to Aden. Even pulling troops from the frontlines with the Houthis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42858270

The only thing that surprises me is that it took so long for Southern separatists to move against Hadi. This was pretty much an inevitable consequence of the Saudi coalition's intervention. My take on this from two years ago is still applicable.

Squalid, Dec 6 2015 posted:

Yemen is hosed all kinds of ways. One of my fears is that the coalition will (or already has) empower southern separatists through their efforts to build militias in the Aden and other southern territories, which will make stitching a country back together capable of fighting ISIS and Al Qaeda impossible.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

America once again marching ever forward in a sustainable foreverwar against the taliban, I bet those conservative villiage dwellers haven’t changed or improved in any way after being in war for 16 Years!

https://twitter.com/saladinaldronni/status/957881114625966080

...oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

America once again marching ever forward in a sustainable foreverwar against the taliban, I bet those conservative villiage dwellers haven’t changed or improved in any way after being in war for 16 Years!

https://twitter.com/saladinaldronni/status/957881114625966080

...oh.

Sure they look good, but their papercraft game is poo poo.