Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoptartsNinja posted:

My guy's name is Jeremy and he's super lucky, like suuper lucky and he's also huge and muscly like Arnold in Predator but he doesn't have to work out he's just naturally fit and he was with ComStar and fought on Tukayyid but all his friends died and he got real angry so he left ComStar to be a mercenary five years after Tukayyid because he had to wait for his ComStar enlistment to expire or something I dunno I'm not in the army lol but he kept some Star League era pyjamas and two neurohelmets that are as valuable as a battlemech but his family doesn't like him so they won't help him except for his hot sister who's really good at buying ammo at the store (girls are good at shopping amirite lol) and his cousin who's kinda lame and they go to Solaris and he can't be champion I guess because Kai's there right now but he can win a match and then rob his employer and steal all of the talented fighters from the Solaris tag-team division (Solaris has a Tag-Team division now, BTW) and go to outreach and he's so awesome his mercenaries totally beat the Dragoons except they were too good at their job and accidentally killed one so now the Dragoons don't like them so they went to fight the Jade Falcons and the local government was like "we don't like you anymore even though we paid good money for you to be here" and so Jeremy gots to fight the government but it's cool he's as good a shot as Phelan Kell but I don't want Stackpole to be mad so he's a worse pilot I guess and then the Jade Falcons showed up afterall but they're only going to be around for about a chapter before Jeremy kills them and takes a Warhawk OK NEXT NOVEL now Jeremy got a job on Wolcott except the Clans can't really attack Wolcott so while there he takes a sub job to go fight the Clans on some other planet and he fights the Smoke Jaguars and and and except everything is hosed up because he can't use his usual ride (who is his girlfriend who gives him rides for free because she loves him and also they're going to have a baby) because she pissed off the Draconis Combine so now the baby will be safe and he's riding in an ex-pirate's dropship instead which is less fun and it crashes and the Clans take it but it's ok because Jeremy blows up the objective and the other objective and then fights in a sweet one on one hand-to-hand boxing match with an Elemental and wins because the Elemental stepped in a puddle of water and then he got the pirate dropship back and it's full of Clan mechs and that's why I don't have to follow Zellbrigen at the table even though I have nothing but Clantech!

And then Jeremiah Rose, Word of Blake sleeper agent, betrayed his unit on Galedon and got them all killed in the Jihad which is another reason why I secretly like the Wobbies.

The last sentence before the spoiler made this :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I thought the Black Thorns perishing was due to a line dev forgetting they were at a certain place at a certain time? Did they go back and retcon Rose being a Wobbie?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
On the topic of dumb lore, how well known amongst Goons is it that the guy who wrote the Eridani Light Horse lore (setting aside the legal arguments being made about that lore being integrated into the canon) tried to use that stuff as a vessel to insert his own Mary Sue literal furry anthro unicorn character into the setting?

To be fair he claims to have been trolling people, which is a well-agreed pasttime.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

On the topic of dumb lore, how well known amongst Goons is it that the guy who wrote the Eridani Light Horse lore (setting aside the legal arguments being made about that lore being integrated into the canon) tried to use that stuff as a vessel to insert his own Mary Sue literal furry anthro unicorn character into the setting?

To be fair he claims to have been trolling people, which is a well-agreed pasttime.

I remember reading about that and I HIGHLY doubt it was just a troll.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ It was not just a troll and his lawsuit ("I made this small bit of lore that means I own all of BattleTech!") is part of the reason Mercenary groups were pretty well wiped from the setting during the Jihad.

Skoll posted:

I thought the Black Thorns perishing was due to a line dev forgetting they were at a certain place at a certain time? Did they go back and retcon Rose being a Wobbie?

That's what actually happened yes, but Jeremiah being a Wobbie fits too perfectly. He's Berith without the robot eyes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Colonial Air Force posted:

"Joanna's small breasts"

I read those books when they came out in like 1990 so forgive me if I do not recall the minutiae of breast descriptions :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Skoll posted:

Or you nerds can just read all 60 novels in canonical order, like I did.

Ah, the Mithridates ploy

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Ah, the Mithridates ploy

It made me immune to bad writing. I read the Star Wars New Jedi Order right after.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Skoll posted:

It made me immune to bad writing. I read the Star Wars New Jedi Order right after.

Christ.

Just follow that up with the Sword of Truth series and Ready Player One and you're set for life.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

My guy's name is Jeremy and :words:

I love happy endings.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Skoll posted:

It made me immune to bad writing. I watched Star Wars The Last Jedi right after.
Fixed.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Still haven't seen it. Force Awakens and wiping the EU away was the nail in the coffin for me re: Star Wars. Legit dead franchise to me and I won't be seeing any of the movies Disney makes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skoll posted:

Still haven't seen it. Force Awakens and wiping the EU away was the nail in the coffin for me re: Star Wars. Legit dead franchise to me and I won't be seeing any of the movies Disney makes.

lol

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It must be rough knowing that that book about the fragile New Republic facing its most dangerous threat yet is no longer canon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skoll posted:

Updated my journal

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad this gathering of nerds still finds itself able to look down on other nerds over nerd poo poo. :bravo:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Skoll posted:

I am glad this gathering of nerds still finds itself able to look down on other nerds over nerd poo poo. :bravo:

I mean, just a page ago we were making fun of Star Wars nerds who were upset over the EU wipe because it was necessary to start anew and wishing that BT would do the same. I wouldn't be surprised you're being poked at for being a grognard.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:shrug: We all got our tisms. It's funny though cause the new SW story group is the same as the old, but they're somehow outputting worse poo poo.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Please tell me there's more art of atlas' smashing sonic the hedgehog instead of this dumb sta wars eu poo poo.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Skoll posted:

It is our vat-born superior genetics, honed by generations of trials by combat to see which grognard has the groggiest nards.

Azuth0667 posted:

Please tell me there's more art of atlas' smashing sonic the hedgehog instead of this dumb sta wars eu poo poo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Azhais posted:

I read those books when they came out in like 1990 so forgive me if I do not recall the minutiae of breast descriptions :v:

It's pretty much the only thing I remember.

Skoll posted:

Oh Skoll, you poor, stupid, soul. It was Lucas' idea to wipe the EU this whole time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amechwarrior posted:

It is our vat-born superior genetics, honed by generations of trials by combat to see which grognard has the groggiest nards.

MAN
MADE
LIGHTNING

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's pretty much the only thing I remember.

Oh Skoll, you poor, stupid, soul. It was Lucas' idea to wipe the EU this whole time.

Only more evidence that nerds must wrest Star Wars from the dread grip of Darth Lucas. Soon, the dawn of Open Source Star Wars will be upon us.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I mean, AFAIK, the Light Horse did go full fursona so

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

It's a MWO joke, but it's still funny AF

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Late to book chat, but I've actually been going through all the Battletech novels available for Kindle, and FWIW they're not nearly as bad as the Aliens novels.

which is to say, they're a slightly more appetizing type of poo poo

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Late to book chat, but I've actually been going through all the Battletech novels available for Kindle, and FWIW they're not nearly as bad as the Aliens novels.

which is to say, they're a slightly more appetizing type of poo poo

I have them all ebook format if you want.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
They're available for sale in ebook form from Catalyst, so sharing them here would probably get you dinged with a piracy ban.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's not piracy if I'm letting a friend borrow a book.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is there a sequel to wolves on the border?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Phrosphor posted:

Wolf Pack, in which Dechan Fraser continues to be the only legitimate badass in a Shadow Hawk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The only time I've had a shadow hawk be good was when i was playing a very drunk round of megamek with FractionJackson and our restrictions were "garbage-tier mechs only" and that shadow hawk was a god among idiots

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xotl posted:

They're available for sale in ebook form from Catalyst, so sharing them here would probably get you dinged with a piracy ban.

Are all of them available now? The last time I looked there were huge gaps in what you could get.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Captain Foo posted:

The only time I've had a shadow hawk be good was when i was playing a very drunk round of megamek with FractionJackson and our restrictions were "garbage-tier mechs only" and that shadow hawk was a god among idiots

Shadow Hawk is the star of your starting lineup in HBS Battletech I think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Shadow Hawk is best understood as being king poo poo of light mech mountain. It's fast and mobile enough to keep up with most lights, heavily armored enough to shrug off just about anything something short of 50 tons is going to be packing, and has enough weapons to loving murder anything that weighs less than it. The majority of its weapons have long enough range that it can be an annoying fucker to anything heavier and it's fast enough to keep out of reach of most of them.

If you're doing anything other than raw TT it also has the massive benefit of using all the cheapest poo poo available. You would be hard pressed to find a medium mech that is cheaper to get your hands on and cheaper to maintain. Again, a loving beast if it's the sort of situation where resources are limited and you need to stretch your c-bill.

The problem most people have is that they want to use it as a utility line-filling brawler like a Hunchback, Centurion, or Enforcer. It's not that and using it like that will lead to bad things.

edit: of course all of this makes it a great protagonist starter mech, whether you're talking HBS or the novels or even a TT campaign. It lets you just loving tee off on the usual assortment of wasps and stingers that you see early on but also offers enough tactical choices that a clever player can either annoy or outright gently caress up some much heavier things for satisfying "boss fight" type stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yes, it's good on a C-bill for C-bill basis but I don't think I've ever played a TT game balanced around C-bills

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

Yes, it's good on a C-bill for C-bill basis but I don't think I've ever played a TT game balanced around C-bills

*shrug* it's something I've always done in mine, and most of the better GMs I've played with have.

Well, cbills or something similar. BV etc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
why's the TT Shadow Hawk a bad robbit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

Wolf Pack, but it's unfortunately not very good. The real "Sequel" to Wolves on the Border is the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy which is why that was second on the reading list.