Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing was organised in order to "fix" the stalling property markets their city was suffering from due to tourism tailing off. A few dozen major insurance firms will go bust, but they can just retrain those actuaries and call centre workers in bricklaying and carpentry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
They changed that boss fight? It looks exactly as garbage as it was on release.

Has there been a boss fight with good gameplay yet?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pretty lucky break for the Empire, what with them timing their invasion about two weeks before Prince loving Goku here discovered his talent for god-slaying zwee fighting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sJY7BTIuPY

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ugh, that was awful.

I'm trying to give this game the benefit of the doubt. It probably is more enjoyable if you're paying attention to the plot and keeping a regular pace and sober. Maybe the mechanics flow better and the story follows more logically if you're putting effort into engaging with them. Maybe.

But I can't see any way this sequence was any good. It's pure trailer bait. Lots of style and just about no gameplay? Bounce around getting beaten about by a fish until you hit it enough times that you die, then come back as Jesus and float there invincible holding circle at it until it explodes? Where is the gameplay? How do you have a boss fight that plays out like that?

And then the whole business with Lunafreya dying. It looked like they were trying to go with an Aeris Dies moment, but... that completely missed the mark. Nothing about her in the entire game to that point felt normal enough for losing her to feel sad... at all. She might as well have been dead before the plot started. Hell, the prince in final fantasy 12 that died before the plot started really did get a sadder death scene! She existed solely to give the hero power then die to make him sad. She wasn't a character at all. She certainly didn't talk like a human being. In a game full of stilted, forced dialogue her lines were the only ones that have really stuck out to me as hack writing. The sort of thing I'd have penned when I was writing fanfiction aged 12. Jesus christ.

Also I think there's meant to be an overarching plot about a prophecied king using the power of the summons to defeat the general concept of night time, or something. Other than Lunafreya and probably the emperor that appeared half in frame for a few seconds in one scene thirty videos ago, I don't think anyone has given a poo poo about it. It'll probably still turn out to be more important than all the stuff the characters have actually been fighting over.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Should've killed Noctis and had Lunafreya gain his powers due to <insert mystic technobabble here, you're writing the fantasy world so don't give me any "that wouldn't work">. Then she gets some protagonist makeover a la FF9 Garnet's hair thing and takes over to finish the job. Transition from the first half of the game's just getting bounced around to an actual plot goal, you get a character death that affects relationships we've *seen*, I think it'd hang together tighter all around.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Should've killed Noctis and had Lunafreya gain his powers due to <insert mystic technobabble here, you're writing the fantasy world so don't give me any "that wouldn't work">. Then she gets some protagonist makeover a la FF9 Garnet's hair thing and takes over to finish the job. Transition from the first half of the game's just getting bounced around to an actual plot goal, you get a character death that affects relationships we've *seen*, I think it'd hang together tighter all around.

Have it kill at least Prompto too and you've got yourself a deal.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

That would have been cool, and also allowed this game to have a female character.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently nobody was willing to tell the writers that when you get to the "characters hit their lowest moment" part of your story arc, they actually have to kinda earn it? Like Ignis getting blinded offscreen with no explanation just for the sake of drama and Gladio flipping his poo poo over Noctis apparently refusing to fulfill his duty even though we just had a smash cut to three weeks later and have seen none of it comes off as incredibly trite.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But then what would they put in dlc and side media?

This is all so the boy is free to go bang the titty mechanic or the girl growing carrots. That will be the big endgame decision. Does officially dead king emo goku (emoku?) want to spend his future with a lady whose fingernails are black with engine oil or soil? Which would he rather the royal bedroom (either above the garage or in a derelict house with no utilities) has a lingering odour of?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Kase moch posted:

They changed that boss fight? It looks exactly as garbage as it was on release.

Has there been a boss fight with good gameplay yet?

Yes. Aranea.

Though the guys botched it and spent 95% of the fight on the ground.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Why is Prompto's hand on Ignis' butt at 26:10 to 26:20 in ep 49?

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 30, 2018

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The writing in this game is like for people who thought that Avatar movie was too intellectual.

My biggest concern after all that "plot" happening is who drives the car with Ignis blinded somehow? :ohdear:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
How will Ignis come up with new recipes if he can't read them from the recipe books anymore

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I'm trying to give this game the benefit of the doubt. It probably is more enjoyable if you're paying attention to the plot and keeping a regular pace and sober. Maybe the mechanics flow better and the story follows more logically if you're putting effort into engaging with them. Maybe.

Even if you are paying attention to the background info from the loading screens, news broadcasts, npc banter, etc the story has a serious issue with important things happening offscreen and/or not being explained. And the issue continually increases in severity after getting on the boat.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think this game is like a centrifuge for FF fans in that it separates those who enjoyed previous games in the series because they were good, and those who mostly lap it up just because of the name Final Fantasy. I appreciate that this game did real time combat and has an open world, since I think menu-based combat was getting stale, but god this game is a mess. I'm hoping that if there's ever another Final Fantasy game that maybe it might go into the hands of designers who know what they are doing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EagerSleeper posted:

I think this game is like a centrifuge for FF fans in that it separates those who enjoyed previous games in the series because they were good, and those who mostly lap it up just because of the name Final Fantasy. I appreciate that this game did real time combat and has an open world, since I think menu-based combat was getting stale, but god this game is a mess. I'm hoping that if there's ever another Final Fantasy game that maybe it might go into the hands of designers who know what they are doing.

I am embarrassed because I was just following the LP (don't have a PS4) and this game sold me in the beginning so I was talking excitedly about it. Then the bottom fell out, but some of my friends have picked it up. I'm not sure whether to give them a heads up that it gets worse, or just let them get angry at me later in the hopes that without my negative opinions they'll still enjoy it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gruckles posted:

Even if you are paying attention to the background info from the loading screens, news broadcasts, npc banter, etc the story has a serious issue with important things happening offscreen and/or not being explained. And the issue continually increases in severity after getting on the boat.

gently caress, i liked 12 for how weirdly political it was and how it felt like important things were going on in the world while you were questing, but in this game it's just maddening. everything feels so disconnected and weightless. it's especially jarring how abruptly noctis switches between apathetic and maudlin

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also get the blind guy a cane, don't let prompto drag him around the city by the arm like he's a child

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like how they put the recently blinded guy on Noctis-recovery watching duty. How about laying him down too and Prompto and Gladio can play Justice Warriors Five or whatever to kill time until Noctis wakes up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Two things I took from the fish god fight:

1) In a shocking twist, the smug chancellor turns out to be evil. Sorry, eeeeeviiiiiilllllllll.

2) All those kingly weapons you've been collecting? Yeah, they just give them all to you anyway, so all that was pointless.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
While it has been clear from the beginning, the Leviathan fight is where it becomes very obvious the game was hastily stapled together and will stay that way essentially for the rest of the story. I can only imagine the meetings that took place when they got demands for giant summon battles, with a battle system that really does not accommodate to it like, at all. Even if you give the game the benefit of the doubt and say it's unfinished, stuff like that fight are just conceptually garbage, and they are very clearly supposed to be a big draw for the whole thing.

I remember a lot of people got annoyed with Gladio for turning into an rear end in a top hat, but it really feels like Noctis does need someone to remind him he's the loving king. Mourning be damned when your kingdom has literally been taken over, there's not really time to go to on pleasure trips.

LeafyOrb posted:

As a reminder this is how the fight is after they patched it to make it better. Also after some poking around I think that scene with Ardyn was not in the base game. A lot of this entire section has changed since launch.

But who cares, all aboard the plot train :toot: :toot:

That scene was in the base game, not that it really makes it any better.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have absolutely zero percent understanding of what's going on even though I've been following since the beginning but then again the only LPs I watch are your guys's so I really shouldn't expect to know anything ever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Momomo posted:

I remember a lot of people got annoyed with Gladio for turning into an rear end in a top hat, but it really feels like Noctis does need someone to remind him he's the loving king. Mourning be damned when your kingdom has literally been taken over, there's not really time to go to on pleasure trips.

I mean, isn't it exactly Gladio's job as kingsguard to do that?

Prompto is the school buddy schmoozing his way up the social ladder, Ignis usually handles 'handling' the prince and his lovely childish behaviour, but someone picked him up by the tail and he sneezed, so I guess he's blind now.

That just leaves Gladio to remind Noctis that he isn't just some pampered rich kid, he's a king whose country has been invaded by an army using 100m tall demons who fire thousands of missiles out of their faces and which have probably killed or eaten most of his citizens by now.

I mean, Noct saw this girl once in his life when he was a small child for a few weeks at most and hasn't seen nor even spoken to her since except through a magic dog carrying a scrapbook. Even when she died he was out of it, so technically he never even met up with her at all beyond her glancing at him during her "inspiring" speach.

And a few seconds of confused dream talking to a dead person as her soul is swallowed by a petulant fish god doesn't count.

Which all brings me to this:

Several weeks later. What the gently caress, Noctis? Pull your loving head out of your arse and sack up for once in your life, goddamn.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know what? With how lovely the writing in this game is I bet that Lunafreya isn't actually dead and they're just doing that old dumb JRPG thing where the leading lady has to run off on her own but wants to keep it a secret from the leading dude for some contrived reason that's not at all just a cheap excuse to milk some forced drama.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I mean, isn't it exactly Gladio's job as kingsguard to do that?

Prompto is the school buddy schmoozing his way up the social ladder, Ignis usually handles 'handling' the prince and his lovely childish behaviour, but someone picked him up by the tail and he sneezed, so I guess he's blind now.

That just leaves Gladio to remind Noctis that he isn't just some pampered rich kid, he's a king whose country has been invaded by an army using 100m tall demons who fire thousands of missiles out of their faces and which have probably killed or eaten most of his citizens by now.

I mean, Noct saw this girl once in his life when he was a small child for a few weeks at most and hasn't seen nor even spoken to her since except through a magic dog carrying a scrapbook. Even when she died he was out of it, so technically he never even met up with her at all beyond her glancing at him during her "inspiring" speach.

And a few seconds of confused dream talking to a dead person as her soul is swallowed by a petulant fish god doesn't count.

Which all brings me to this:

Several weeks later. What the gently caress, Noctis? Pull your loving head out of your arse and sack up for once in your life, goddamn.

That right there is the reason people got upset with Gladio being mean I say. Just because you tell the player it has been several weeks, doesn't mean that it will come across that way to the player. To the player, his fiancee just died and now this rear end in a top hat is telling him to shape up, because that is how it is presented to them. You can't just skip to the next cutscene and expect people to realise that Noctis has been moping for weeks without a single cue. Like, even having the others talking amongst themselves would have helped catch up a bit.
Although, that would mean even more cutscenes added to an already too long sequence...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thesaya posted:

That right there is the reason people got upset with Gladio being mean I say. Just because you tell the player it has been several weeks, doesn't mean that it will come across that way to the player. To the player, his fiancee just died and now this rear end in a top hat is telling him to shape up, because that is how it is presented to them. You can't just skip to the next cutscene and expect people to realise that Noctis has been moping for weeks without a single cue. Like, even having the others talking amongst themselves would have helped catch up a bit.
Although, that would mean even more cutscenes added to an already too long sequence...

They could have dropped you back into the open world at that point to sidequest. Change up all the incidental dialogue to have him be all mopey and maybe make you pass a couple of in game days before starting the next plot quest. Bam, time passes with no more effort than a little more voice acting.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thesaya posted:

Well, on the other hand, the biggest problem this game has is that it clearly expects you to care about what these guys are goin through, but hasn't been willing to put in the time and effort to actually make you care about them. This is just another example of how it fails to do so.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be honest even if it had been the next day I think Gladio would still be justified. His kingdom can't exactly wait for him to start feeling better to get saved.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You need to watch the thoroughly mediocre movie to see it, but this is literally what is happening in Insomnia while Noctis mopes:

Yeah, this thing, only it turns out there's a whole bunch of them the Empire drops on the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DxSmP-7GSk&t=22s

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Was all that stuff on the first continent also his kingdom, or was his entire kingdom that one city? Because like, it seems the worst the oh-so-evil empire's done to anyone outside that city was stop the boats for a while. And I guess making zombie/golem soldier things out of ??? those are demons aren't they?, because what's her face mentioned that ages ago, and that's probably actually the regular sort of world-ending evil.

Like, I'm not really seeing much of a rush. Maybe if we got to see how awful things are in the city that would help. As it is, it really does seem like his only incentive to rush around is entirely "gently caress you that's my kingdom, also you killed my dad I didn't seem to like very much." On a related note, I'd assume that he did know his past future-wife for longer than the game's bothered to show, even if just as kids. Literally nothing about her makes any sense if they've met just once. And really, I'd sooner assume they hosed up establishing any sort of relationships than "we wrote him to be sad about someone he met for like, a week," because this is exciting videogame series Final Fantasy "we actually explained what was going on in a feature film instead, because gently caress you." Establishing relationships seems to be something they think they can just happily gloss over.

Come to think of it, I think the only relationship they've mentioned anything about is that bit on a rooftop somewhere with prompto, and I'm sure that's entirely missable. Everything else is like a bit like if you create a family in the Sims. They're just people stuck together on someone's whim. I guess that's what happens to a final fantasy when you don't have to collect teammates.

f.e. Oh, I see. There is an actual problem in his city. I guess. That demon sounds like a combination of a ballista (or something moved by chains) and a flak cannon what the poo poo

Oh that's right, also the empire's doing ??? which has made nighttime last forever so the world'll be taken over by demons or something. Really, you'd think there'd be more focus on that. I think it's only really been mentioned a handful of times.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Cerebral Bore posted:

You know what? With how lovely the writing in this game is I bet that Lunafreya isn't actually dead and they're just doing that old dumb JRPG thing where the leading lady has to run off on her own but wants to keep it a secret from the leading dude for some contrived reason that's not at all just a cheap excuse to milk some forced drama.

If Luna tries to become Rydia I will loving scream.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Wow April Fools came early this year: http://bgr.com/2018/01/29/final-fantasy-xv-pocket-edition-release-date/

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I dunno that "our entire game sans graphics and maybe cutscenes can fit easily on your phone" is a good look for your mega blockbuster AAA franchise.

I can't remember anything from December, did you guys know they added character swapping for combat? Apparently you unlock it in the grid thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I hope you can swap to the blind guy and the screen greys out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Does Prompto have a mechanic where every ~30 seconds you get control taken away from you so Prompto can take one of his dumb mid-battle clusterfuck photos? Because if not my immersion is ruined, imo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am fascinated by the idea of sitting on a long, boring car journey playing a game that frequently makes you sit around on long car journeys.

loving meta.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Does Prompto have a mechanic where every ~30 seconds you get control taken away from you so Prompto can take one of his dumb mid-battle clusterfuck photos? Because if not my immersion is ruined, imo

The trailer for character swapping showed Prompto using a "take selfie" combat skill.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Yeah, but you get a sweet cactuar sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Did FFXV not make enough of a landing that they had to come back for seconds with a mobile game? Perhaps making a mobile game is easy when they already had assets available. Idk, I don't get it...

• Locked thread