Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't Azmo's laser one of the most pointlessly sticky spells in the game tho.

It sure feels that way, but the takeaway from that is that it probably won't break things like Leoric's creepy hand either. In other words it doesn't disjoint abilities or effects that latch onto you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
On phone so I can't link but LeyzarGamingViews on YouTube has gameplay of Maiev up.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

jackhunter64 posted:

This is Jimmy.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkrdcNCgRng

:allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

quote:

A pristine core hound tooth, a sharpened perdition's blade, a flaming shard of azzinoth... my dagger collection is quite extensive. It's because I'm a fan of knives.

oh my loving god

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SirSamVimes posted:

oh my loving god

jesus christ maiev has three heroics

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

A "That's a paddlin'" joke. Ok Blizzard. I see you. I see you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"So I murdered a few highborne, tried to kill Malfurion, and fled Darnassus as a wanted fugitive. Can't you just drop it and move on? Everyone else has."
"You're still talking to me? At least give me a cough drop you monster!"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Libertine posted:

My argument is that he isn't the worst hero, and that he is in fact much better than many other more popular heroes who he is relentlessly maligned with comic frequency in comparison to.
Raynor is aggressively mediocre and everything that he does, another hero does better (except for Hyperion, which is cool and good).

quote:

Grubby's argument is that Raynor doesn't have enough playmaking potential to be worth picking (even as both his observed and statistical performance indicate this to be untrue), and my argument is that most teams need at least one ranged attacker, you don't always need your ranged attacker to be a playmaker, sometimes a safe and reliable high uptime sustained damage dealer is ideal -- and the circumstances for which this is the case is far greater than people commonly think because of confirmation bias.
Grubby's argument wasn't that Raynor lacked playmaking potential and therefore wasn't worth picking, it was that Raynor lacks playmaking potential and that's what keeps his winrate high. Raynor is forced to play more carefully because his kit doesn't support risky business whereas the kits of Valla and Greymane do, so you're significantly less likely to die to an Easily Preventable Mistake™.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can't dive the whole team and die like an idiot if you don't have a dive.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Oh my god, Maiev has the best lines.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Maeve looks dope, first day-one grab since Alex for me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

"I know all your tricks, Zeratul!" :allears:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
"I AM NOTHING LIKE ILLIDAN! I merely do whatever is necessary to achieve my goals (even if it means making morally questionable descions) while growling about the hatred I felt for ten thousand years."

:allears:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The obsession line is great too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ToastyPotato posted:

The obsession line is great too.

Yeah at first I thought they were going to go for a dumb "secretly in love with him" joke but no, she just really really really wants to kill him.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh my gosh that video has a link to the WC3 voice. It's so friggin good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm always surprised by how many hots voicelines there are - Warcraft 3 has 1 minute of maiev voicelines, world of warcraft has 3 minutes of maiev voicelines, and HotS has 13 minutes' worth. They do not slack off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah at first I thought they were going to go for a dumb "secretly in love with him" joke but no, she just really really really wants to kill him.

On the other hand there's the put on a shirt line.

I think it's most entertaining if the answer is "it's both, it's both because Maiev is completely loving bonkers" :allears:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

I'm always surprised by how many hots voicelines there are - Warcraft 3 has 1 minute of maiev voicelines, world of warcraft has 3 minutes of maiev voicelines, and HotS has 13 minutes' worth. They do not slack off.

It's still kind of disappointing compared to DotA where the heroes trash talk with the enemy team as they kill each other.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Captain Oblivious posted:

On the other hand there's the put on a shirt line.

I think it's most entertaining if the answer is "it's both, it's both because Maiev is completely loving bonkers" :allears:

Maiev is 100% yandere.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Re: the Epic Maiev skins that will Only Be Available in the Bundle You have to Buy With Gems:

1) Will those always be Bundle Only?
2) Is the Bundle a limited time thing?
3) Do the skins drop from lootboxes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

porfiria posted:

Re: the Epic Maiev skins that will Only Be Available in the Bundle You have to Buy With Gems:

1) Will those always be Bundle Only?
3) Do the skins drop from lootboxes?

Yes. I'm not sure. No.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SirSamVimes posted:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be fair wanting to kill Illidan is perfectly understandable behavior.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

porfiria posted:

Blizzard posted:

For example, this means that once the upcoming Alexstrasza Heroic Bundle is removed during the week of November 27, a “Dark Queen” Alexstrasza Skin Pack will enter the Collection. That Skin Pack will then remain available for purchase using gems indefinitely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair wanting to kill Illidan is perfectly understandable behavior.

Wanting to kill any of the Night Elf heroes is perfectly understandable. They've all been absolutely massive assholes to each other and everyone around them for thousands of years.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Holy poo poo guys.

So Maiev has 15 Armor baseline, and at 13 Maiev gets to choose different ways to increase her armor:

-Each Hero hit by Fan of Knives increases Armor by 5 for 5 seconds, up to 20 armor.

-Tethering at least 2 Heroes with Umbral Bind grants 45 armor for 4 seconds.

-Blink grants 25 Armor for 2.5 seconds, basic attacks against Heroes refresh this duration.

At 16 she has a talent where if she has more than 15 Armor of any kind, all physical damage is increased by 35%

It's loving insane. And you can't escape from her. The range on Fan of Knives is healthy, and her Spirit of Vengeance, which you use to Blink, is only a 10 second c/d.

She's a bad bitch and I love her.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bear in mind that that's physical damage, so auto attacks.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really enjoy that it seems like the ideal way to use Umbral Bond isn't to stand there while your prisoners try to run away but to physically drag they asses back into your team's gently caress Zone. A coordinated Chromie/Kel'thuzad with Maiev will be nasty.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Bear in mind that that's physical damage, so auto attacks.

Lvl 1: Naisha's Memento - Activate to make primary basic attacks bounce up to 2 times, dealing 30% more damage to bounce targets.

4: Sudden Vengeance: Blink with .35 seconds of SPirit of Vengeance hitting an enemy Hero to cause 5% max health damage to ALL nearby heroes

7: Ruthless Spirit: Spirit of Vengeance damage increased by 3% per minion and 24% per Hero hit

I'm thinking a Spirit of Vengeance + AA burst build is going to be popular. Any form of CC on your team is going to make Maiev a loving terror. Pull them into an Arthas, with a Smash Varian or Northern Exposure Jaina waiting in the wings? Kinda getting hard just thinking about it.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 30, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's so great that almost every part of Maiev is designed with "gently caress Illidan" in mind, with a side order of "gently caress Genji."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Can't wait to humiliate a new buff hero as as a tiny fish boy

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^I feel like between her armor, her decent waveclear options, and her invincibility leap Maiev might be difficult for Murky to as effectively bully out of lane as he can some other heroes.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Holy poo poo guys.

So Maiev has 15 Armor baseline, and at 13 Maiev gets to choose different ways to increase her armor:

-Each Hero hit by Fan of Knives increases Armor by 5 for 5 seconds, up to 20 armor.

-Tethering at least 2 Heroes with Umbral Bind grants 45 armor for 4 seconds.

-Blink grants 25 Armor for 2.5 seconds, basic attacks against Heroes refresh this duration.

At 16 she has a talent where if she has more than 15 Armor of any kind, all physical damage is increased by 35%

It's loving insane. And you can't escape from her. The range on Fan of Knives is healthy, and her Spirit of Vengeance, which you use to Blink, is only a 10 second c/d.

She's a bad bitch and I love her.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about earlier. The baseline 15 armor might not be so crazy on an assassin with no self-sustain but the talent which lets you stack an extra 25 armor on top of that and keep it going by AAing might be a bit too nuts, but I guess we'll have to see.

1stGear posted:

I really enjoy that it seems like the ideal way to use Umbral Bond isn't to stand there while your prisoners try to run away but to physically drag they asses back into your team's gently caress Zone. A coordinated Chromie/Kel'thuzad with Maiev will be nasty.

This is correct, if you give your bound targets any leeway they can attempt to close the gap on you which might limit them geographically but does no damage or stun, so they can collapse on you if they want. Watching nubkeks give her a trial run, admittedly in a viewers-only custom game which are usually never very close affairs so grain of salt and all, he did exactly this a lot of the time, binding someone then immediately running back towards his team to set up a kill. He had a Stukov and Leoric on his team and between Umbral Bond, Lurking Arm, and Entomb it was crowd control for days.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 30, 2018

Henker
May 5, 2009

My headcanon is that Maiev and Naisha were lovers. I'd be pissed too if some rear end in a top hat killed my girlfriend while I was on the clock.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

^^^I feel like between her armor, her decent waveclear options, and her invincibility leap Maiev might be difficult for Murky to as effectively bully out of lane as he can some other heroes.

We’ll see about that at level 16 :smug:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

We’ll see about that at level 16 :smug:

Sure, level 16 is the turning point for the ol' Murkster, but prior to that during the early laning phase some heroes make his life more hellish than others. Like, I don't mind laning against a Jaina because she's bursty but it's in a big, obvious, telegraphed way, she gets mana starved, and she's squishy. Kerrigan, by contrast, is bursty but in a much more relentless way that can easily dispatch your fish and then you and do so repeatedly without needing a break, and she has enough self sustain due to her trait that you can't even effectively grind her down by attrition.

Generally you can tell how hard your early Murky game is gonna be by how capable/intelligent people are about denying your pufferfish. Maiev's waveclear looks like it might be enough to wind up killing the fish without even trying, her shadow spirit will hit it two times, that plus a fan of knives will probably wipe it out plus a bunch of minions in the process.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Kai Tave posted:

She has no sustain. He can freeze the lane, zoning her out of globe range and only using abilities when she comes near. Below high Plat, you bet the Maiev will get impatient and try to go in, at which point she will lose trades all day.

e:^^^ yes, but that's a big part about playing Murky. Your puffer never goes out until they blow their cooldowns or are distracted. Same with Zagara Hydralisk. You can win any trades in the stalemate if they save their puffer killing abilities.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

lucifirius posted:

Oh my god, Maiev has the best lines.

You know the writers had a field day when you have more than two minutes of click-quotes alone.
Edit: She even has a "Swear to me!" line.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 30, 2018