Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Transcending the limits of perception and reality. Seeing the world as it truly is. Piercing the veil.

Smooth the faces. Extend the benches! The clone stamp tool is the cosmic ouroboros that multiplies the tree of life and the paint brush reveals the visage of the lamb on all of those who bear his mark. After the rapture, only pug mixes will remain.

Is this out of a horror game because I would play that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
also those dogs used to be greyhounds

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
With all of the hamfisted fuckery they couldn’t make the dogs less obese? What an amateur oversight.

Details matter!

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Helen Highwater posted:

This is the photographer's portfolio site

I don't know how depth of field works, so I'll just cut out the subject and put a filter over the background.

Portraits by David Cronenberg

I don't always horizontally flip my images, but when I do, I forget to clone out roadsigns.

But it is a site that is created on wix.com, and on wix.com you will get a professional looking site.
It is obvious that the photographer should demand a refund from wix.com

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why do people even take the time to edit out her lovely watermark

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These pictures got posted all over Reddit and they're pretty serious about doxxing over there, so pretty much anything that gets posted has names blacked out.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

President Beep posted:

This sort of problem seems like it’d be pretty self-regulating. Like, this person’s “work” is out there for everyone to see. A good photographer (not me, lol) should probably be maintaining a robust online portfolio to point potential clients to.

One would think! Then again people hire someone like this lady and the cycle continues, somehow. I really don't know why, because it doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes to poke around the internet to find someone's portfolio, and if they have no real work (or it seems stolen, I guess that's the hard part to prove if you're not the average non-internet user under 50 - but in that case you probably know a pro photographer who shoots with an iPhone already :hurr: ), but in that case you just move on and find the next person to hire.

President Beep posted:

After having some time to digest this, I’m beginning to think that this photographer has some kind of neurological/psychological issue with how they perceive the human face.

Like, some people suffer from face blindness. This poor soul might see everyone as grotesque elephant people, and their only recourse is to totally obscure the terrible visages with MS Paint.

HAHA oh man, that would be one way to become an artist... like an agoraphobic food cart operator working in Times Square.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 14, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
After having some time to digest this, I’m beginning to think that this photographer has some kind of neurological/psychological issue with how they perceive the human face.

Like, some people suffer from face blindness. This poor soul might see everyone as grotesque elephant people, and their only recourse is to totally obscure the terrible visages with MS Paint.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Based on the Facebook post explanation that accompanies the tweet photos...

Maybe this photog is really like really fuckin' scared of shadows.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Come see my new exhibit. Living in Quake Full-Bright: Life Without Shadow.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenny Logins posted:

Maybe this photog is really like really fuckin' scared of shadows.

You ever see Disney’s Peter Pan? Shadows can do some freaky poo poo, my man...

:tinfoil:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ianskate posted:

One would think! Then again people hire someone like this lady and the cycle continues, somehow. I really don't know why, because it doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes to poke around the internet to find someone's portfolio, and if they have no real work (or it seems stolen, I guess that's the hard part to prove if you're not the average non-internet user under 50 - but in that case you probably know a pro photographer who shoots with an iPhone already :hurr: ), but in that case you just move on and find the next person to hire.

In my anecdotal experience from seeing friends look for this kind of service, most people find a photographer from a recommendation. Additionally to this, most people do not know anything about photography or what makes a good photo. Obviously, egregiously terrible stuff like this is going to get noticed, but 90% of people buying photo services will be pretty happy with something that would make most of us wince. I've seen all kinds of over-sharpened, spot-coloured, clarity slider abusing, saturated to poo poo pictures that my friends were super happy to have paid money for.

It's what I call grandma pics, My mum wanted a picture of her grandkids to put on her mantelpiece, so my sister sent her a picture she'd taken on her phone (the grandkids are my sister's kids in this case). It's a terrible picture because it's taken in a hurry, the kids are moving too fast, the levels are all over the place, the background is distracting and it's not completely in focus. Nevertheless, because it has her grandkids in it, it's her favourite photo. She came to visit me last year and was interested in my cameras and the photos I'd taken. She showed me my sister's photo and asked if I could get that one printed for her at the place where I get my gallery stuff done...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ianskate posted:

At least her rate wasn't $25/shoot... but it's also a great reminder about what's wrong with this industry, and why being a "professional photographer" is a dead-end pursuit these days. If this is the playing field, what in gods name are we all doing here? :doh:

Pretty much why I got out of it after digital exploded. Over a span of two years I lost 90% of my contract work to kids with $9 hourly rates and no rights retention. Kinda hard to compete with that, but oh well times change I had fun while it lasted.

Helen Highwater posted:

most people do not know anything about photography or what makes a good photo.

Also this.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I got an email today.

quote:

Good day <forums poster Helen Highwater>

I am photographer from <your town> and i received your contact from one lady who is working for one small photo shop :) They are very kind and i am always leaving there my promo materials for my adventure photo workshops :)

She told me that you are boring and you may find my workshops interesting :)

I mean he's not wrong that my photos are boring. On the other hand...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Helen Highwater posted:

I got an email today.

I mean he's not wrong that my photos are boring. On the other hand...
It takes a lot of chutzpah to neg someone while tripping absolute balls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an exciting day when a child discovers the filters menu in photoshop, we shouldn't be ragging on them for playing with a new toy.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/954176561615441921

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/954863479692976130?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=piss%20shit%20%25lol

"Yes this is very believeble mr president"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I like the daring use of negative space on his desktop.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

I like the daring use of negative space on his desktop.
:discourse:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

How does this idiot get any work done without a computer??

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

akadajet posted:

How does this idiot get any work done without a computer??

He has Twitter on his phone.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
To extend the man about as much fairness as I'm willing to give, the President's desk has got to be, in the normal course of affairs, a nightmare of opsec considerations and possible classified information. Better to clear it off completely for the photo-op unless you want to risk this kind of thing.

Or you could shoot it from a low angle, like this:

but that seems beyond the current photographer.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Knowing Trump I’m just surprised it’s not a duckface selfie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's photos of Obama taking a call on an empty desk too, so I guess it's just a thing that happens. But Obama's photos aren't composed like someone whipped an iPhone out of their pocket and sort of centered the subject in the middle of the frame.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Working hard or hardly working? Get it? I’ll see myself out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rio posted:

Working hard or hardly working? Get it? I’ll see myself out.

There’s at least a coin toss’ chance that this joke was made during the shoot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Hey, I actually like this work, but can't find our thread for that.

https://www.sapporo-creation.com/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Hey, I actually like this work, but can't find our thread for that.

https://www.sapporo-creation.com/

That's cool. I like the Shine pics. I'm often pissing and moaning that I don't have anything interesting to take pictures of, and here this person goes around taking pictures of vending machines at night, and they're really neat to look at.

Lesson to self: Look around. The subjects are there.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

This photographer is the best photographer.

Started off by taking a handful of moody plant photos with an iPhone.

But there was something more inside. A creative urge that needed to be focused and directed. If a picture is worth 1000 words... how many words is a picture with words worth? Maybe George R.R. Martin knows; he's written and sold millions of words.

Some commentators have called this one a misappropriation of someone else's work. It has a lot of universal meaning, though, and I think the artist in question really makes it their own by adding a group tag.

Can you tell this is photoshopped? Probably not. Only the artist knows for sure.

This powerful image is both a satire of modern commercial sentimentalism and an expression of economic anxiety in the face of increasing workplace automation.
all grown ups were once children but only few of them remember it the most beautiful thing in the wo by Arnis Gashi, on Flickr

But if there's an ultimate unifying theme in this entire corpus, it's simply that
Eagle home by Arnis Gashi, on Flickr
home of Eagle is Albania

Haven't fully deconstructed this last one yet, but I'm pretty sure once again that it's satire - this time of American imperialism, particularly as it relates to the NATO intervention in the former Yugoslavia during the mid 1990's.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Actually, it’s about ethics in gaming journalism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can tell they're a pro at their craft with the where's waldo watermarks.

You think you got away with stealing their creation, but surprise motherfucker there's a second one hiding that you missed. And sometimes a third.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

President Beep posted:

There’s at least a coin toss’ chance that this joke was made during the shoot.

Trump 100% half-joked about taking the photogs camera and doing the white house photography himself

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This photographer is the best photographer.
Eagle home by Arnis Gashi, on Flickr
home of Eagle is Albania

Haven't fully deconstructed this last one yet, but I'm pretty sure once again that it's satire - this time of American imperialism, particularly as it relates to the NATO intervention in the former Yugoslavia during the mid 1990's.

Just goes to show that photography really is about being in the right place at the right time. Imagine seeing all those eagles there at the same time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Trump 100% half-joked about taking the photogs camera and doing the white house photography himself

I’m excited for the return of blurry fingers obscuring the subject matter.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

rio posted:

Just goes to show that photography really is about being in the right place at the right time. Imagine seeing all those eagles there at the same time.

It's also about the watermarks - the more there are the more professional you make your photograph.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

It's also about the watermarks - the more there are the more professional you make your photograph.

That’s old fashioned thinking. Kodacoin’s gonna disrupt the gently caress out of that model.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

President Beep posted:

That’s old fashioned thinking. Kodacoin’s gonna disrupt the gently caress out of that model.

Agitating the development industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hell yes.

Schleswig-Holstein, Heiligenhafen by Olivier Boyer, on Flickr

DSC1271_Alpes-Maritimes Beaulieu sur MerFisheyes by Olivier Boyer, on Flickr

Edit: Check out this photo merge

Alpes-Maritimes Beaulieu sur Mer by Olivier Boyer, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 12, 2018