Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Zwabu posted:

Is there a thread for discussing Jordan Peterson? It almost seems like there should be a subforum devoted to him at this point.

There was a GBS thread about him, but it was about as trash as you'd expect.

Relevant to this thread, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been booked on Fox News yet. It seems about time he moved up from talking to right-wing D-listers like Stefan Molyneux and Steven Crowder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It depends on his ambition. He might lose his deniability of he foxnewses too hard.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Is there a thread for discussing Jordan Peterson? It almost seems like there should be a subforum devoted to him at this point.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847413&pagenumber=9&perpage=40

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what led to him monopolizing all of D&D the last week. Usually there's some racist tweet or article or youtube video that clearly set it all off but this one just seems to be more generalized.

he had a widely shared recent interview with i think the bbc where he came off as rather reasonable because he kept the vile stuff under his hat while being over-badgered by the interviewer, who was clearly familiar with his less savory ideas but kept trying to trap him with them when he hadn't actually said them in the interview. made him seem very sympathetic even if you know what he's all about, so i imagine he won some converts among people who don't

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 30, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jazerus posted:

he had a widely shared recent interview with i think the bbc where he came off as rather reasonable because he kept the vile stuff under his hat while being over-badgered by the interviewer, who was clearly familiar with his less savory ideas but kept trying to trap him with them when he hadn't actually said them in the interview. made him seem very sympathetic even if you know what he's all about, so i imagine he won some converts among people who don't

He also had his lovely book come out shortly after. Also, he just did a video for Prager U that was released today. :barf:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So wait. This Double Secret Probation Memo that RWM has been harping on that's alleged to prove BIAS was cobbled together by five REPUBLICANS who are known to be Trump loyalists? Comment section and callers are acting like it's some sort of smoking gun. It appears that it's just another attempt to discredit law enforcement.

Speaking of that, to anyone who doubts how effective RWM is, public trust in the FBI has dropped dramatically over the last month.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

How are right-wingers not engaging in "identity politics"?

They are. That's Peterson's whole point. Peterson's life right now is basically that scene from Life of Brian in the alleyway where Brian says "you've all got to think for yourselves" and the crowd just won't stop repeating his words back to him verbatim.

It's clear I'm not winning any hearts and minds here, but I do want to push back a little bit. If anyone can show me Jordan Peterson making a claim that outs him as a nazi or racist, please do so.

Prester, no, I don't think we've understood each other at all. I don't know where you got the part about white people.

This thread digression is no good for me. "Christ-Addicted Snowflake Triggered By Snarky Awful Postmodernist Atheists."

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Schmischmenjamin posted:

They are. That's Peterson's whole point. Peterson's life right now is basically that scene from Life of Brian in the alleyway where Brian says "you've all got to think for yourselves" and the crowd just won't stop repeating his words back to him verbatim.

It's clear I'm not winning any hearts and minds here, but I do want to push back a little bit. If anyone can show me Jordan Peterson making a claim that outs him as a nazi or racist, please do so.

Prester, no, I don't think we've understood each other at all. I don't know where you got the part about white people.

This thread digression is no good for me. "Christ-Addicted Snowflake Triggered By Snarky Awful Postmodernist Atheists."

cool story bro

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

To reiterate, what are "traditional values".

Also in terms of racist stuff Peterson has said:

he's talking about First Nations people here. Not people from India, he is also being a poo poo-head.

Also him declaring Frozen "Feminist Propaganda" to me sounds sexist, but in a more oblique way than perhaps you would like.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Frozen is decidedly not feminist propaganda. Unless you think the home-schooled co-dependant model is "real" feminism.

Hell, Elsa is so stuffed in her own head she keeps "accidentally" trying to kill her starry-eyed sister and it's up to a simple male stereotype to save them all from themselves.

And don't get me started at the disturbing undercurrent in Trolls. Glitter farts.

Yes, I have a toddler who watches these movies daily, why do you ask?

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 30, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SpeakSlow posted:

Yes, I have a toddler who watches these movies daily, why do you ask?
Get your kid some movies about strong women. I suggest Alien and Terminator 2.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

The problem with Peterson is that he's P U R E I D E O L O G Y personified. When you refuse to acknowledge that capitalism might be the cause of most or at the very least some of society's problems you are forced to invent things like post-modern-neo-super-marxism to fill in the gap.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Get your kid some movies about strong women. I suggest Alien and Terminator 2.

Oh, believe me, it's in the post. I'm considering Aliens at about 12 along with Army of Darkness. Evil Dead 2 at 15 and then Dead Alive if she's interested by that point.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Doesn't Ash have to save several women in Army of Darkness?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think he meant the 2013 Evil Dead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm still not entirely sure what led to him monopolizing all of D&D the last week. Usually there's some racist tweet or article or youtube video that clearly set it all off but this one just seems to be more generalized.

Chapo Trap House did a thing on him

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Building snowmen is a feminist plot...? Yeah, I got nothing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HootTheOwl posted:

Chapo Trap House did a thing on him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4EIVgEe5U&t

yeah its pretty good.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Avirosb posted:

Doesn't Ash have to save several women in Army of Darkness?

Yes, but he's also the quintissential male stereotype and a very good object lesson due to the cheesiness factor. Plus, girls can be evil too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Elsa's sister talks back to her aristocrat boyfriend at some point, I think after he tries to murder her whole family

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SpeakSlow posted:

Frozen is decidedly not feminist propaganda.

You can make an argument that "Let it Go" supports female empowerment and independence.

But the real reason it gets singled out is that girls like it and it's a girl movie about princesses, and that's icky, so by attacking it as "feminist" right-wingers can signal about it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

VitalSigns posted:

Elsa's sister talks back to her aristocrat boyfriend at some point, I think after he tries to murder her whole family

She learns the lesson that it is a bad idea to marry someone you only met 5 minutes before, so she replaces him with another guy she met 5 minutes before.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Let It Go", in context of the movie, is an isolationist screed brought about by rejection. If anything, it's an object lesson.

Pardon my Disney/movie derail, btw. Hannity is a dork.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pirate Radar posted:

MEN DIE IN YOUR FRONT YARD!
THE MATRIARCHY FREEZES YOU IN EFFIGY!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zwabu posted:

we had the "youtube intellectuals" thread which was one of the better ones in d&d and then a mod closed it without giving a reason and said not to make another one (again without giving a reason).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can make an argument that "Let it Go" supports female empowerment and independence.

But the real reason it gets singled out is that girls like it and it's a girl movie about princesses, and that's icky, so by attacking it as "feminist" right-wingers can signal about it.

That's pretty much it, yeah. It's a popular thing that dares to be aimed mostly (though not exclusively) at girls, and that prominently features two female protagonists while male characters are either secondary or antagonists. These dudes are used to media pandering to them 24/7, and take it as an insult if something even so much as hints that not everything has to be about them all the time.

Also obviously the best subversive reading is that the whole thing is about homosexuality and the pressures of being in the closet. :colbert:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Trevor Noah is doing a show in Laramie and I want to go.

I'm a bad person, aren't I?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

She learns the lesson that it is a bad idea to marry someone you only met 5 minutes before, so she replaces him with another guy she met 5 minutes before.

tbf to the movie (a) she spends multiple days with the new guy saving each other from life or death situations, and (b) they don't even kiss by the end of the movie, and while it's heavily implied there will likely be a romantic relationship at some point in the future, she has obviously learned from her previous experience and isn't going to marry someone she doesn't know

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Star Man posted:

Trevor Noah is doing a show in Laramie and I want to go.

I'm a bad person, aren't I?

No

Noah has made some fuckups but I think his intentions are good he's just still a bit of a neophyte with big shoes to fill.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No

Noah has made some fuckups but I think his intentions are good he's just still a bit of a neophyte with big shoes to fill.

To be fair, even John Stew-beef took a few years to really settle in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

No

I heard about people complaining he just wasn't that good for TDS, but did he really drop the ball or gently caress up on something?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pentyne posted:

I heard about people complaining he just wasn't that good for TDS, but did he really drop the ball or gently caress up on something?

- Defended Obama making $400k speeches

- Signal boosted Tomi Lahren

- Called Antifa "Vegan ISIS"

Those are just the 3 major ones I can think of.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SpeakSlow posted:

To be fair, even John Stew-beef took a few years to really settle in.

And grew up here so wasn't facing the same kind of learning curve, and wasn't perfect either ("Rally to restore sanity").

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pentyne posted:

some pretty unwoke opinions on miners

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/903615982891098112

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BUT THEY WERE WARNED

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/958372450676428801
:thunk:

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

he's talking about First Nations people here. Not people from India, he is also being a poo poo-head.

He made a dumb joke. It takes more than that for me to tar someone as more racist than your average idiot.

Once you're done chortling about the Marxist magazine editor's hot take, y'all might consider reading the Guardian profile he helpfully failed to link once he was done screenshotting the most contentious paragraph. It'll answer your questions about Peterson's views and how they differ from those of the Dark Professor better than I, a simpleton, ever could.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/jan/21/jordan-peterson-self-help-author-12-steps-interview

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It was only a joke that Injuns are a bunch of thieving drunks, so we're supposed to ignore it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been trying to keep an open mind about this Peterson guy as I was wholly unfamiliar with him a week ago, but seriously, though. "That racist joke was just a bad joke, but not a reason to think he's racist" is like a RWM catchphrase.

I mean, it might be true if he's got a broader record of good opinions on race and, I don't know... apologized for the racist joke. But its not helping the case for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Schmischmenjamin posted:

He made a dumb joke. It takes more than that for me to tar someone as more racist than your average idiot.

Once you're done chortling about the Marxist magazine editor's hot take, y'all might consider reading the Guardian profile he helpfully failed to link once he was done screenshotting the most contentious paragraph. It'll answer your questions about Peterson's views and how they differ from those of the Dark Professor better than I, a simpleton, ever could.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/jan/21/jordan-peterson-self-help-author-12-steps-interview

It's a fawning puff piece that puts him in the best light possible and it makes him seem extremely boring.