Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I would normally never recommend this, but the people saying Three Billboards is as bad as Crash really need to rewatch Crash.

For real though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8XaSWYDaQ

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This scene is giving mixed messages

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sponges posted:

This scene is giving mixed messages

The whole movie does. It's a shamelessly manipulative film, but some of the manipulation is moving enough that you can understand why voters might get caught up in it.

The car crash scene is the signature moment and it probably just stuck with people in the right way as to allow the rest of the mess cross the Best Picture finish line.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The whole movie does. It's a shamelessly manipulative film, but some of the manipulation is moving enough that you can understand why voters might get caught up in it.

The car crash scene is the signature moment and it probably just stuck with people in the right way as to allow the rest of the mess cross the Best Picture finish line.

People were also all hot on Paul Haggis after Million Dollar Baby (which frankly I don’t think was that great either, although it’s certainly better than Crash)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Million Dollar Baby is better than Crash but is still like miles and miles away from being as good as Unforgiven is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Million Dollar Baby is better than Crash but is still like miles and miles away from being as good as Unforgiven is.

True, though to be fair, Unforgiven is like unbelievably good

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I would normally never recommend this, but the people saying Three Billboards is as bad as Crash really need to rewatch Crash.

I said Three Billboards being nominated and considered a front runner is almost as insulting as Crash winning Best Picture. I think Crash is a much worse film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's reach exceeds its grasp. As I said, PTA hasn't mad a bad film.

It's a nearly perfect film, and I am unanimous in my opinion.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's a nearly perfect film, and I am unanimous in my opinion.

;)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Crash is the second worst film ever made by a human.

The first is Attack of the Clones.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen Phantom Thread yet and maybe that will change my mind, but PTA's movies always feel like he's so self-consciously trying to make a masterpiece that even with the virtuoso filmmaking on display I still just find them offputting and not very engaging. It's not that there's any specific flaw I can point at in them to quantify this, but there's just this nothingness I feel from them, like the artist behind the work doesn't have a soul himself.

despite the way it's most popularly consumed (in a dreamlike chamber surrounded by other human beings) film is an inherently distant, cold medium prone to voyeurism and digital photography has exacerbated that aspect. some people revel in it and succeed, others connect in spite of it, still others are clearly trying to overcome it and fail.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

also if we're playing the "what should have won the oscar" game, aside from the basic canon (la confidential over titanic, fargo over the english patient), i submit gosford park over a beautiful mind and the hours over chicago

probably easier to pick the years the RIGHT movie won best picture since you can count them on one hand

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

R. Guyovich posted:

also if we're playing the "what should have won the oscar" game, aside from the basic canon (la confidential over titanic, fargo over the english patient), i submit gosford park over a beautiful mind and the hours over chicago

probably easier to pick the years the RIGHT movie won best picture since you can count them on one hand

If we go by what was nominated at least I’d say

Arrival is better than moonlight by a huge margin

Spotlight was fantastic but The Big Short should have won

Whiplash over Birdman (gently caress anything is better than birdman) also would have been nice for Wes Anderson to win for Grand Budapest

12 years a slave deserved it

Django over Argo

2011 really loving sucked, so uh

Social Network over Kings speech which is the worst movie in 20 years

A serious Man over the hurt locker (lmfao how did this win?!?!)

Holy poo poo 2008 was a bad year too?

There will be blood over No country for old men

Departed deserved it that year

ANYTHING OVER CRASH ( my pick would be goodnight and good luck)

Aviator over million dollar baby

Lord of the rings deserved it

Lord of the rings over Chicago

Lord of the rings over a beautiful mind

Gladiator deserved it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Orville posted:

Whiplash over Birdman (gently caress anything is better than birdman) also would have been nice for Wes Anderson to win for Grand Budapest

Django over Argo

Gladiator deserved it

I agree with you about Whiplash, Django, Social Network and obviously Crash. The rest I either vociferously disagree or think that none of the movies are the absolute best that the year had to offer, but the other four movies nominated aren't any more exciting (2000-2005)

also if you go back a few more years you get to movies that should have won like The Insider and Anything That Is Not Forrest Gump (seriously that over Quiz Show, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank??)

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I agree with you about Whiplash, Django, Social Network and obviously Crash. The rest I either vociferously disagree or think that none of the movies are the absolute best that the year had to offer, but the other four movies nominated aren't any more exciting (2000-2005)

also if you go back a few more years you get to movies that should have won like The Insider and Anything That Is Not Forrest Gump (seriously that over Quiz Show, Pulp Fiction and Shawshank??)

Crash is the most egregious by far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

If anything was going to, Mystic River should've been the one that won Eastwood his second pair of Oscars instead of Million Dollar Baby.

Someone other than Al Pacino should've won Best Actor in 1993. From what I've seen of it (I haven't watched the whole thing) Pacino is fine in Scent of a Woman but it was a pretty obvious, "Okay, we didn't give you anything for The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, ...And Justice For All, Dick Tracy etc. and didn't even nominate you for Scarface so here's a consolation prize!" situation in retrospect.

The other nominees that year were Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven), RDJ (Chaplin), Stephen Rea (The Crying Game) and Denzel Washington (Malcolm X).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

If anything was going to, Mystic River should've been the one that won Eastwood his second pair of Oscars instead of Million Dollar Baby.

Ewww, no.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Personal preference: I just like it better than Million Dollar Baby because I enjoy mysteries more than sports dramas.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Orville posted:

Django over Argo

Gladiator deserved it

best of the nominees (actual best movie or movies that year)

get out (i am not your negro, get out, lady macbeth)

manchester by the sea or moonlight (toni erdmann, personal shopper)

mad max: fury road (carol, embrace of the serpent)

2014 oscars sucked rear end. i guess boyhood or whiplash? (winter sleep, the act of killing, goodbye to language, two days one night. it was a good year outside the us)

12 years a slave, nebraska (upstream color, pain and gain)

amour (amour, holy motors, the dark knight rises)

the tree of life (margaret, the tree of life, a separation)

2010 oscars were also terrible. social network and king's speech loving sucked. winter's bone by default (uncle boonmee who can recall his past lives, certified copy, dogtooth)

a serious man, an education (a single man)

milk by default (gomorra, che, the baader meinhof complex)

best year for american movies in three decades. no country for old men, there will be blood (there will be blood, no country for old men, the diving bell and the butterfly)

the departed (children of men, the wind that shakes the barley, dreamgirls)

brokeback mountain (brokeback mountain, paradise now, the three burials of melquiades estrada)

sideways (sideways, notre musique, agent cody banks 2: destination london)

mystic river (the fog of war, elephant)

the hours (spirited away, minority report, ten)

gosford park, in the bedroom (ai, the pledge, mulholland drive)

traffic (the gleaners and i, amores perros)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

A Beautiful Mind might be even worse than Crash so I’m with you on that one

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Beautiful Mind is the Crash of mental illness.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also think Babe should have beaten Braveheart, Fargo should have beaten The English Patient, Saving Private Ryan should have beaten Shakespeare In Love and The Green Mile should have beaten American Beauty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If the Academy’s goal is to ostensibly recognize the film of the year with the most cultural impact, influence or significance to filmmaking then they outright fail about 90% of the time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Saving Private Ryan should have beaten Shakespeare In Love

I swear to god everyone just forgets The Thin Red Line was also nominated that year...

quote:

The Green Mile should have beaten American Beauty.

...and they forget The Insider even exists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Although I do think it was a weak year overall, Fellowship of the Ring absolutely should've won Best Picture over A Beautiful Mind. They had to give it to Return of the King a few years later almost to make up for that mistake(Fellowship is easily the best of the trilogy), which meant Eastwood couldn't win for Mystic River, so then HE had to win a for the mediocre Million Dollar Baby the next year.

poo poo like that happens all the time, Pacino's win for Scent of a Woman screwed over Washington for Malcom X, and then eventually the Academy had to give it to him for Training Day(after he was hosed over again for The Hurricane) when he maybe didn't deserve it. Had he rightfully won that Oscar in 1992, we'd probably have Oscar Winner Will Smith, and we'd be living in a completely different bizarro universe where Bright probably doesn't exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't think Mystic River was that good, I would have given it to Lost in Translation within just the selection of nominees from that year. The real crime is that City of God wasn't even nominated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Although I do think it was a weak year overall, Fellowship of the Ring absolutely should've won Best Picture over A Beautiful Mind. They had to give it to Return of the King a few years later almost to make up for that mistake(Fellowship is easily the best of the trilogy), which meant Eastwood couldn't win for Mystic River, so then HE had to win a for the mediocre Million Dollar Baby the next year.

poo poo like that happens all the time, Pacino's win for Scent of a Woman screwed over Washington for Malcom X, and then eventually the Academy had to give it to him for Training Day(after he was hosed over again for The Hurricane) when he maybe didn't deserve it. Had he rightfully won that Oscar in 1992, we'd probably have Oscar Winner Will Smith, and we'd be living in a completely different bizarro universe where Bright probably doesn't exist.

When’s the last time you watched Training Day? Because Denzel absolutely deserved that win

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Denzel also had an Oscar already (Best Supporting Actor for Glory) so it wasn't his "turn" whereas Pacino had been passed over half a dozen times beforehand he won.

It's all politics.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 30, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Denzel also had an Oscar already (Best Supporting Actor for Glory) so it wasn't his "turn" whereas Pacino had been passed over half a dozen times beforehand he won.

It's all politics.

I didn't know he'd won for Glory.

Anyway his performance is certainly very good in Training Day, but I think Wilkinson(In the Bedroom) or Smith for Ali would've been better choices. Denzel's performance was compelling but a bit one-note.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Pacino's nomination for Dick Tracy trying to give him a "career recognition" award? In fairness, he's easily the most memorable part of that movie but I can't imagine him getting an Oscar for it otherwise.

On a similar note, it's kind of weird that The Fugitive was nominated for Best Picture. I think that's a really enjoyable movie but it's a strange one to nominate; it feels like it should be a bit outside the Academy's usual wheelhouse.

Imagine if Entrapment or The Thomas Crowne Affair had been nominated. I think The Fugitive is a lot better than either of those, but that's the kind of movie I think it is.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 30, 2018

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Godfather 3 was nominated for best picture in 1990

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like, imagine if Entrapment or The Thomas Crowne Affair had been nominated. I think The Fugitive is a lot better than either of those, but that's the kind of movie I think it is.

It seems like they will sometimes latch on to a film if it makes enough of a cultural impact that they feel it can't be ignored. The Fugitive was HUGE that year, just an extremely popular movie.

Ghost is another one like that, hard to say it really deserved to be nominated for Best Picture but at the time people loving loved that movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Orville posted:

Godfather 3 was nominated for best picture in 1990

Not only that, but it’s the only Godfather movie to get a best cinematography nomination for Gordon Willis

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, I was just looking over the lists on Wikipedia and remembered that Roberto Benigni won Best Actor for The Day the Clown Cried Life Is Beautiful.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I was just looking over the lists on Wikipedia and remembered that Roberto Benigni won Best Actor for The Day the Clown Cried Life Is Beautiful.

i remember watching that movie close to release as a small child and loving it but it's one of those where i don't want to go back and watch because i know it'll be bad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Denzel should have won Best Actor for Fences

And while I agree Birdman didn't really deserve anything, Michael Keaton definitely should have won Best Actor for his performance which is the only reason I consider that movie palatable at all.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The Orville posted:

Strongly disagree. I love Villeneuve, the concept and meditation on alien life is interesting and somewhat nuanced in Arrival but no way is it more than a slightly above average movie. I'd say it's one of his worst.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

And while I agree Birdman didn't really deserve anything, Michael Keaton definitely should have won Best Actor for his performance which is the only reason I consider that movie palatable at all.

Sometimes that's just the way it goes though, it's not always easy to separate a great lead performance from the film itself. Keaton is the core of the entire thing, so yea his performance drives it and makes the movie good overall(imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I swear to god everyone just forgets The Thin Red Line was also nominated that year...

...and they forget The Insider even exists.

This is some good opinions. :yeah:

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Strongly disagree. I love Villeneuve, the concept and meditation on alien life is interesting and somewhat nuanced in Arrival but no way is it more than a slightly above average movie. I'd say it's one of his worst.

Yeah, I'm with ya. I love Villanueve and Arrival is a respectful adaptation of an amazing short story that only slightly misses the point, but Moonlight is just about the easiest 10 I ever gave to a movie on first watch.

• Locked thread