Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Any reason why a retailer would sell a Switch+SMO bundle for more than a Switch and a SMO cart separately? Red controller tax?

It also comes with a Switch case. Which usually sell for $20. So you break even. A case is pretty essential anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SelenicMartian posted:

Any reason why a retailer would sell a Switch+SMO bundle for more than a Switch and a SMO cart separately? Red controller tax?

Probably comes with a carrying case

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

irlZaphod posted:

I'm enjoying Celeste so far, I've never really played one of this style of platformer before and I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it. I mean I'm dying about a billion times, but it's fun rather than frustrating (some of them are just from me pressing the wrong button, or the wrong direction when air dashing). I like the mechanics a lot so far too.

After almost throwing my Switch due to deaths playing Shovel Knight, I'm gonna pass on this one. I'm bad at video games and prefer not to beat my head against the wall again a billion times. As a surprise that comes to no one, I will not be buying DS, either. :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Mario bundle comes with a case only in the US, apparently. In other regions it's just more expensive.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

After almost throwing my Switch due to deaths playing Shovel Knight, I'm gonna pass on this one. I'm bad at video games and prefer not to beat my head against the wall again a billion times. As a surprise that comes to no one, I will not be buying DS, either. :v:

I'm really enjoying the story but I doubt I'll do the optional content, I'm pretty sure the game is giving me Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's truly made me hate the joycon dpad. I think I've said it before but it didn't really bother me playing through The End is Nigh because that game doesn't use the diagonals at all but in some Celeste rooms you're pulling off loving fighting game combos

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Celeste you're supposed to play with the analog stick, strange but true

Weedle
May 31, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Is there any news on a potential port of Euro Truck Simulator 2 on the switch?

No but I’d buy that poo poo day 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Despite everyone saying it is disappointing to play, I will buy and play Owlboy
but

i want

Hollow Knight godammit

Owlboy is good it just should have come out in 2014 or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Project Octopath new features (They're learning to do this before releasing the game this time)
-Running is automatic when you tilt the stick all the way.
-You can run even faster by pressing B while running, but it increases encounter rate
-Fast travel
-Visual changes to make moving in the environment easier
-Radar that points to entrances, exits, and important areas
-Filter settings on the brightness and on the HD-2D
-Reworked the save UI so you're less likely to overwrite a save; also you'll have 10 save slots total (One is auto-save)
-Reworked Text UI
-Added Skip function to cutscenes; replay feature to rewatch scenes
-Made Text faster, added option to adjust speed

Man I'm hyped for this game. The demo sold me completely and the improvements all sound fantastic.

EightFlyingCars posted:

This is neat, but I have to wonder how people thought the battles were too difficult. The break system made it trivial to, well, break.

Maybe they'll have a hard mode like in Bravely Default. I was surprised at how well-balanced Bravely Default's hard mode turned out to be--I felt like I really needed to care about and use the systems available to me, but I also never felt like it was unfair or overly grindy. (Bravely Second, on the other hand, massively overtunes random battles on hard mode and massively undertunes boss fights on normal, so you have to ride the difficulty to have a fun experience, but they did it better the first time so :v:)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
some 3d zelda speedrunners managed to get hold of the nintendo released china nvidia tablet thing which runs gamecube and wii games and started to test glitches on its version of twilight princess, after 2 glitches were found to not crash the game like the gc/wii versions does (dolphin doesnt crash either) they dumped the apk and discovered the whole thing seems to be a working gamecube/wii emulator running on what is effectively switch hardware and it runs really loving well.

its time to get unreasonably hyped. (also reminder, you wont need a IR sensor for Wii games on switch because its all built into the joycons. buy world of goo if you dont believe it. and the wiiu/mayflash gamecube adapter works fine already)

link with codes and stuff (yeah i know, its that site but eh) https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-has-a-working-gc-wii-emulator-for-switch.19839/

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 30, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I am very hyped for no switch announcement for years if ever

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Pikmin 3 is an important one for instance

thats a good word for it, pikmin 3 ftw

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How is this? I’m sure it’s been talked about to death by now but this thread grows like a weed.

I kinda fell out of love with Shovel Knight because I only play my switch with the joycons and I just couldn’t control him like I could with a proper dpad. Should I skip Celeste or do you really get used to using a stick?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is probably not an original thought but my favorite looking platformer ever is still Yoshi's Island, I just can't do the platformer-with-3d-models thing (somehow 3D World made it look really good)

the hot new goon favorite game celeste gives me yoshis island vibes sometimes, among the many other classic platformers it reminds me of

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

i could see this except the dash is locked to 8 way so it doesnt quite work for me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anybody else get the sense that Celeste has a lot of Fangame influence? Single screen saves, dash refreshers, death counter because high death counts are to be expected, single hit deaths, etc.

Add a gun and a double jump instead of a dash, and it basically would be a fangame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Celeste doesn't necessarily do anything original. However, it takes the concepts it has and puts it into a very polished, well put together package.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Celeste is really fun but it's definitely not a 10 out of 10. It's not genre breaking or genre defining, it's simply a really polished and challenging platformer.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

some of the ways it reminds me of yoshis island:

standing in place and pressind down, the character squishes in a very yoshis island way

levels that can be played semi-linearly or as explory things

that part in the hotel in level 3 is like that one castle where you go in the different doors to unlock the central door

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Celeste doesn't necessarily do anything original. However, it takes the concepts it has and puts it into a very polished, well put together package.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that disparagingly. I really like Fangames. It was just the sense I was getting. I'm really really enjoying Celeste, but it's pretty much a TV + Pro Controller game for me because there's a little too much precision for handheld + joycon mode.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I haven't had too much trouble with diagonals in celeste with the joycon buttons instead of the stick. At this point they feel almost as natural as a regular dpad. In a way it almost feels more precise to use separate buttons for directions. For reference I've cleared the B sides of Chapter 1 and 2 and the regular version of chapter 3 so far.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 30, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one thing I will say about Celeste, there are tons of moments where I think "how the gently caress am I supposed to do this" and then a few minutes later stating "I cannot believe I did this"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm definitely enjoying Celeste way more than I thought I would. Analog stick works well for me, too.

Also really digging the way the music builds up layers as you progress into the levels, especially after you meet your mirror self or whoever.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 30, 2018

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
The only times I've messed up dashing with the stick have been user error.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its the first game that made me understand why people bitch about the pro controller dpad :smith:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://mobile.twitter.com/WayForward/status/958125444804444160

Ultimate Edition is shaping up nicely.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Yay. Found a retailer giving away a Mario case with the case-less Mario bundle. Since it's a standalone case kit, I also get a screen protector.

Are they hard to apply?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SelenicMartian posted:

Yay. Found a retailer giving away a Mario case with the case-less Mario bundle. Since it's a standalone case kit, I also get a screen protector.

Are they hard to apply?

From the OP

"Apply in your bathroom with your shower on to prevent dust being trapped underneath. If you are worried about scratches, get a protector."

I did this, but used a can of compressed air as well to shoot the screen right before putting it on. It's flawless.

Edit: buy the AMfilm one on amazon if you're worried about it. You get 2 of them, and if you gently caress up, they'll send you 2 more for free if you contact them.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SelenicMartian posted:

Are they hard to apply?

Is it a film screen protector? If it is do yourself a favor and toss it in the trash and get a glass one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The deed is done.

Larrymer posted:

Apply in your bathroom with your shower on to prevent dust being trapped underneath.
But I'll get wet...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't get your Switch wet, it'll wash off the oven-proof coating.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mega64 posted:

Don't get your Switch wet, it'll wash off the oven-proof coating.

Be careful about this—it's rated for a regular oven but NOT a toaster oven. Ruined my Pop-Tarts.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Zoran posted:

Be careful about this—it's rated for a regular oven but NOT a toaster oven. Ruined my Pop-Tarts.

but ONLY use the broil function. You need an even blast of high heat. And you leave it in there overnight so that it nicely crisps.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just threw mine in the microwave, all went well.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vikar Jerome posted:

some 3d zelda speedrunners managed to get hold of the nintendo released china nvidia tablet thing which runs gamecube and wii games and started to test glitches on its version of twilight princess, after 2 glitches were found to not crash the game like the gc/wii versions does (dolphin doesnt crash either) they dumped the apk and discovered the whole thing seems to be a working gamecube/wii emulator running on what is effectively switch hardware and it runs really loving well.

its time to get unreasonably hyped. (also reminder, you wont need a IR sensor for Wii games on switch because its all built into the joycons. buy world of goo if you dont believe it. and the wiiu/mayflash gamecube adapter works fine already)

link with codes and stuff (yeah i know, its that site but eh) https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-has-a-working-gc-wii-emulator-for-switch.19839/

The fact that the Chinese Nintendo ports are being emulated doesn't prove anything we didn't already know--Dolphin's been running on the Shield for almost a year now. I would be willing to bet that Nintendo's borrowing Dophin's code, in fact.

I'm sure the Switch could also handle GCN/Wii emulation, but who knows how difficult it would be to port the Dolphin code (or write their own that will run) on Switch OS. The Shield ports are relatively low-effort--most of the work has been done for them, and the bits of finesse and polish that Nintendo will put on top of the emulation base are relatively inexpensive. The Switch would be a far more costly venture.

That said, I'd love to play Galaxy on the Switch, so here's hoping.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

I just threw mine in the microwave, all went well.

I do this but with a glass of water in the microwave as well, works better in my experience.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lelandjs posted:

I would be willing to bet that Nintendo's borrowing Dophin's code, in fact.

Dolphin is licensed under GPL2 so there's no feasible way that Nintendo can use it. They'd have to open source all of the Switch SDK libraries their fork links against under GPL and that's just not happening ever :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can you actually put a switch in the microwarve?

• Locked thread