Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

So I see that there isn't actually anything a police officer might reasonably say after a potentially justified use of deadly force that y'all wouldn't consider "infuriating."

Sure there is, first don't speak to the shot perp, but call in an ambulance on your radio. Once that is done, you read the suspect his or her miranda rights and inform them that an ambulance is on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

Also remember that when he got shot the black guy asked "Why?" to which the cop said "I don't know." not even it was an accident or something, but that he purposefully fired it for no reason.

Remember when he cuffed him anyway instead of helping the man he shot that he knew was innocent.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trump is not going to impose sanctions on Russia, after the sanctions passed Congress 98-2 and 419-3. Is there a thread talking about this?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Just for fun:

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is the opposite of what the ME concluded. He fought with the police and he died, but the bruises he sustained didn't cause his heart attack. I guess you could say if the police hadn't used force to get compliance, and had just let him go to his cell when he felt comfortable doing so, he wouldn't have had to exert himself, but that's a little bit different from being beaten to death.

This was in reference to https://www.app.com/story/news/premium/2015/02/06/inmate-death-inside-monmouth-county-jail/22993735/ where they beat the poo poo out of a guy in jail, injected him with drugs until he passed out, then left him alone in a room until he died.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chamale posted:

Trump is not going to impose sanctions on Russia, after the sanctions passed Congress 98-2 and 419-3. Is there a thread talking about this?

I mentioned it. Remember the Dems were so proud of giving the Republicans poo poo they wanted in exchange for the Russia sanctions? Lmao. Dems got fuckin owned.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Can’t wait to go to war with Russia because of their powerful election memes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GlyphGryph posted:

I mentioned it. Remember the Dems were so proud of giving the Republicans poo poo they wanted in exchange for the Russia sanctions? Lmao. Dems got fuckin owned.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Democrats considering the vote margins. It was the right thing to vote on the bill.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/958205425459089409

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

The Trump thread was loling about it earlier today.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uh, hey now, buddy.

We spend trillions on weapons and terrorism.

AMERICA NUMBER 1:freep:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

who gave the shitdems a hallpass to vote for the abortion ban?

https://twitter.com/EvanWilt_/status/958117518954156038

these fuckers need to be thrown out of the democratic party.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
WV I get, but how important is it to have a pro-life Democrat in Pennsylvania? They had a pro-choice Republican.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

WV I get, but how important is it to have a pro-life Democrat in Pennsylvania? They had a pro-choice Republican.

Casey did it because of his Catholicism, or so I understand.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

Casey did it because of his Catholicism, or so I understand.

Yeah, he's always been pretty inflexible on abortion. I really hope a left-populist takes him out and wins the state, because he's just terrible.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

With abortion you start getting into moral rather than political debates, so I don't see a purpose fighting with people about it because beliefs are entirely inflexible when it comes to questions of morality. Besides, there are plenty of other reasons to want them gone, especially if you want the party to swerve left.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how long it's going to take for it to sink in that the president and congress have hosed the constitution. It's happened before, but now we're all just shrugging our shoulders over our new dimwit king.

I don't really think this is something you can 'fix'.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

With abortion you start getting into moral rather than political debates, so I don't see a purpose fighting with people about it because beliefs are entirely inflexible when it comes to questions of morality. Besides, there are plenty of other reasons to want them gone, especially if you want the party to swerve left.

there are plenty of reasons to want them gone aside from abortion. however, the dems are supposed to be the party of women, minorities, etc. in 2016 we made a big deal about social justice and we need to stick to that. if the centrist wing is going to claim they can only focus on social justice then they should not be backing off it entirely, otherwise we're left with neither social justice nor economic justice when we need both.

in short, centrists who won't defend social justice don't even meet the bare minimum of what constitutes a democrat and should be thrown out of the party. we don't need republicans in the dem party

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The moral is the political, this should be completely obvious TYOOL 2018. A woman's sovereignty over her body is a moral and political question where there's no room for equivocating and excuse-making.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The idea of social justice really needs to be codified if it is to be used to achieve anything, otherwise it is just a tool that can be used anybody to support any agenda. You wanna abortions? But what about my religious beliefs, how can you reconcile this with your socially inclusive platform? Until Democrats outline what social justice means in clear, definitive and policy oriented points that are binding for all their officials and supersede all personal preferences, their commitment to it is just a charade.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/958143913147191298

Good work all around. :commissar:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Democrats considering the vote margins. It was the right thing to vote on the bill.

The bill wasnt just russia sanctions. It was the Dems agreeing to a bunch of stuff they didnt want, like sanctions on Iran, in order to get Russia sanctions, despite a lot of people at the time saying "hell no this is a bad deal dont trust the republicans they are going to screw you over and this is just going to be you screwing over Iran and giving the Republicans stuff in exchange for nothing"

The reason the vote margins were so high is because of the stuff the Dems were giving the GOP to get them on board, the GOP wasnt actually in favour of the Russian sanctions, and yet again they were burned by putting their trust in the compulsive liars and the Republicans came away with a win, getting everything they wanted while the Dems got nothing.

Do you really not remember the arguments over whether or not the Dem capitulation as part of this bill was good or bad?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Heck of a job.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm starting to think the arguments that we need these very experienced politicians and lawyers to be the only people we can consider electing only to see them fail constantly at basic politicking to be somewhat misguided...

Watching smarty Mark Warner get pissed that a bunch of idiots outsmarted him and got him to vote for less oversight into how Trump handles the IC was pretty illuminating. The Democrats are a party of people that are very smug they know the rules really well and haven't quite gotten the news that the rules only matter when your opponents give a poo poo.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 30, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/pdacosta/status/958304189972611073

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/958326345846673408

jfc

I’m sure this neo-mccarthyism will never be turned against the dems when (if?) they’re ever back in power

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 30, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you really not remember the arguments over whether or not the Dem capitulation as part of this bill was good or bad?

Honestly, no, all I remember was the drama of if they'd get enough votes so that Trump couldn't veto it.

Chomskyan posted:

https://twitter.com/pdacosta/status/958304189972611073

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/958326345846673408

jfc

I’m sure this neo-mccarthyism will never be turned against the dems when (if?) they’re ever back in power

I feel like the difference is that the Russians are actually trying to do poo poo whereas in McCarthy's time it was quite obviously a cover for going after people he didn't like.
Like the GOP and immigrant racism today. Like hell they aren't still dog whistling and no one is calling them out on it.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Feast upon my stool DR.

Unfortunately we all have to read your posts.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like the difference is that the Russians are actually trying to do poo poo whereas in McCarthy's time it was quite obviously a cover for going after people he didn't like.
Like the GOP and immigrant racism today. Like hell they aren't still dog whistling and no one is calling them out on it.

There was an element of truth to anti-communist hysteria as well. the House Un-American Activities Committee unearthed Alger Hiss who was a real communist spy. Hiss was convicted the same year McCarthy claimed to have 200 names of known communists in the State Department. The kernel of truth helped sell the larger lie.

If you’re arguing that the current round of nationalist hysteria hasn’t yet reached the level of the 1950s then I agree. But I see a clear path from here to there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Wasn't the Red Scare itself started by liberal Democrats in the Truman administration as a cover to go after people they didn't like, specifically trade unionists asking for a little too much from business, and only became a bad thing once Republicans started using it against them.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
FBI has had a second dossier, also describing Trump-Russia collusion

The Guardian posted:

The FBI inquiry into alleged Russian collusion in the 2016 US presidential election has been given a second memo that independently set out many of the same allegations made in a dossier by Christopher Steele, the British former spy.

The second memo was written by Cody Shearer, a controversial political activist and former journalist who was close to the Clinton White House in the 1990s. Unlike Steele, Shearer does not have a background in espionage, and his memo was initially viewed with scepticism, not least because he had shared it with select media organisations before the election.

However, the FBI investigation is still assessing details in the ‘Shearer memo’ and is pursuing intriguing leads. One source with knowledge of the inquiry said the fact the FBI was still working on it suggested investigators had taken an aspect of it seriously. It raises the possibility that parts of the Steele dossier, which has been derided by Trump’s supporters, may have been corroborated by Shearer’s research, or could still be.

The revelation comes at a moment when Donald Trump and some Republican lawmakers have been seeking to cast doubt on the credibility of the Mueller inquiry and the motivation of the FBI in examining Russian collusion, including unproven allegations that investigators had a bias in favour of Hillary Clinton when the investigation was initially launched before November.

Republicans on the House intelligence committee voted on Monday night to release a highly contentious memo, commissioned by the Republican chairman of the committee, Devin Nunes. The memo reportedly claims the FBI had an anti-Trump bias when it sought a warrant from the US foreign intelligence surveillance court to collect intelligence on Carter Page, an adviser to the Trump campaign. The Fisa court is a secret court that examines law enforcement requests to surveil Americans suspected of acting as foreign agents.

The Republican memo reportedly alleges that the FBI relied on the Steele dossier, which was partly paid for using Democratic funds, in seeking the Carter Page warrant, according to the New York Times.

Democrats have said that the Republican allegations are misleading and based on selective use of classified materials. Justice department officials have said the release of the document, because of the classified elements, would be “extraordinarily reckless”.

The Shearer memo was provided to the FBI in October 2016. It was handed to them by Steele – who had been given it by an American contact – after the FBI requested the former MI6 agent provide any documents or evidence that could be useful in its investigation, according to multiple sources. Steele warned the FBI he could not vouch for the veracity of the Shearer memo, but that he was providing a copy because it corresponded with what he had separately heard from his own independent sources.

The White House has vigorously denied allegations that the US president was ever compromised and has rejected claims that campaign officials ever conspired with the Kremlin before the 2016 election.

Republican supporters of Trump have derided it as “fake news”. Chuck Grassley, a Republican senator from Iowa and ally of Trump, has called for an investigation into Steele amid unspecified allegations about the former spy’s conduct.

Democrats have said the campaign against Steele is part of an effort to seek to discredit him in order to shift attention away from allegations about Trump and Russia.

e: i thought i was in the Russian collusion thread, sorry!

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 30, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Chamale posted:

Apparently there is a provision in the sanction bill where the president can hold off on them if they think that the current ones are working just fine

So Trump is doing it legally because the Democrats are a bunch of dumbshits and let that clause slip by

It still says something because its against the spirit of the law, but its not against the letter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Per the police, Aquoness Cathery had a gun when they arrived, and the officer fired when Cathery turned around and pointed it at him. The police recovered a gun at the scene.

Police having cameras should obligate them to prove this sort of thing. It is exceedingly unlikely that the camera coincidentally became covered/blocked at a point when the suspect happened to do the thing that supposedly justified shooting them.

Finding the gun isn't sufficient evidence on its own, since it's not like it's uncommon for police to plant that sort of thing (or just lie about it) and for other police to support their lies. Heck, even if a gun was legitimately found it still wouldn't prove the claim that it was aimed at the officer.

If video - which should be easily provided given the officer wore a camera - showed the suspect pulling a gun and aiming it at the officer, then I would consider the officer's actions justified. But that isn't the case, and the fact this video doesn't exist should serve as strong evidence against the validity of the cop's claims.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 30, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/958378693776289793

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/958381469990359041

e:

https://twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/958378677347209219

lol

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 30, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Washington Post is beyond worthless.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Please don't make me wail in agony while I'm at work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I understand we need more Bush era conservative warhawks to tell us that Trump is bad.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

Oh my God, did they clone Matt Drudge?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Wasn't the Red Scare itself started by liberal Democrats in the Truman administration as a cover to go after people they didn't like, specifically trade unionists asking for a little too much from business, and only became a bad thing once Republicans started using it against them.

The First Red Scare was driven largely by the Democrats after the October Revolution. The Dems were still pretty far from being anything I'd describe as "liberal" at the time, but you're correct that it was in large part a way to strike at organized labor. The Second Red Scare (ie: McCarthyism) was also partially directed against organized labor, but there were some real-world things that sparked fears and made it a real "bipartisan" effort. Those included the Chinese Civil War and some legit cases of Soviet spying (ie: Chambers and Bentley, the Rosenbergs), as well as of course a host of bullshit reasons.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 30, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think the main driver, at least in the Second scare, was just that it was really, really politically convenient. McCarthy was kind of a nobody before McCarthyism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/958376517465198592

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think the main driver, at least in the Second scare, was just that it was really, really politically convenient. McCarthy was kind of a nobody before McCarthyism.

It was essentially a mass hysteria event that propelled McCarty to his fame. He was great at stoking fear, and collected a entourage of despicable people that used that fear for their own ends.

The russia stuff currently going on is in no way shape or form similar... yet. it could go that way if it is stoked, fed, and weaponized. Which is why MSNBC calling people russian agents is really stupid and should be mocked and shamed. Besides, the simpler answer is that Devin Nunes is just reeeeeaaaaally stupid. Occam's Razor and all that.

• Locked thread